• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Citigroup CEO Michael Corbat defends Bank's pay gap: "I started in 1983 at $17,000" salary - CNBC

Rookje

That is true, but for a different reason, which is there is a very small pool of people who have the personal connections needed to get enough votes from fund managers and other large shareholders to become CEO.
There's truth to this, but above all what the board of directors of a mega corporation care about is growth. So they will reduce risk as much as possible to assure growth, and to do that will be to appoint somebody who has as much experience as possible. That prerequisite is what reduces the pool of CEOs down to the limited amount that it is, and in the end will force the companies to pay these CEOs insurmountable amounts of money.

Last edited:
There's truth to this, but above all what the board of directors of a mega corporation care about is growth. So they will reduce risk as much as possible to assure growth, and to do that will be to appoint somebody who has as much experience as possible. That prerequisite is what reduces the pool of CEOs down to the limited amount that it is, and in the end will force the companies to pay these CEOs insurmountable amounts of money.
As much experience as possible? That would suggest that all young ceos are basically founders. But that isn't the case is it? There are young ceos that are not founders, or no?

Rookje

As much experience as possible? That would suggest that all young ceos are basically founders. But that isn't the case is it? There are young ceos that are not founders, or no?
Sure, but they aren't making anywhere near the amount of money these CEOs we're talking about are making. And I would say, yea, most of the younger CEOs are founders. I don't have that data though, its just my impression.

Top Bottom