• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civil War museum rather close then remove private confederate flag form public land

Slayven

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/27/geo...than-surrender-its-confederate-flags_partner/
Rather than comply with a request to remove Confederate flags from public property, a Civil War museum in Georgia is shutting down.

In a Facebook message, board members of the Nash Farm Battlefield and Museum lamented that the venue will shutter on June 1. Museum officials claim the closure was forced by local Commissioner Dee Clemmons’ request that “All Confederate flags be removed from the museum.” The authors take pains to imply that political correctness gone wild is to blame, stating the commissioner’s request was made “in an effort not to offend anyone.”

Commissioner Clemmons, however, contradicted that version of events. Melissa Robinson, a county spokesperson, told WXIA that the request was submitted because “the commissioner had received some complaints and concerns from constituents.” In response, Clemmons reportedly sent an email to the museum in March requesting that a Confederate flag which flew on public, county-owned land in front of the building — next to the Georgia state flag and American flag — be taken down. The email read:

Dear Colleagues, there has been an overwhelming request from my constituents to remove the Confederate Flag at the County owned Nash Farm Park. I was surprised that we have this flag in our county inventory flying high for almost 8 years. When I investigated further with Tim Coley I was relieved that the flag did not belong to Henry County and that the owner would graciously place it in their personal dwelling. If any of you would like the flag placed back up speak now. If you get concerns from citizens refer them to me. After thorough research I can testify that this flag has no historical reason for being displayed on County property as it has no relevance to the undocumented battlefield. Secondly I would not want our County open to possible lawsuits for hate crimes or discrimination. Patrick advise if we need a vote since the owner has already removed their flag.

Museum curator Bill Dodd says Clemmons later requested that a Confederate flag displayed in the museum’s window also be taken down, and that the museum gift shop stop selling Confederate flags. The Fox article notes that aside from displays of the Confederate flag, Clemmons “said she has no problems with Confederate memorabilia inside the museum.”

“The Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC. What do they have on display? They have swastikas on display in the Holocaust Museum,” Dodd said to the outlet.

yes he unironically compared the confederate flag to a swastika

When love treason that much

Lunar15

This is one of those articles that's just going to be misread in order to reinforce the museum owner's opinion rather than everyone fully understanding what happened.

Grexeno

bye-b.gif

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I don't get how a confederate flag is allowed to fly next to the flag of the United States. As someone not from America, can someone please explain how that makes any sense considering history?

I don't get how a confederate flag is allowed to fly next to the flag of the United States. As someone not from America, can someone please explain how that makes any sense considering history?
It doesn't. Logic doesn't apply to racists. It didn't in the past, and it doesn't in the present.

tbm24

It doesn't, people who rejected America but we're forced back into the union after losing, raised their kids believing they were robbed, and so on and so forth.

There's a reason you don't find that flag generally outside the south.....and deep northern California for reasons I don't quite understand.

So, basically, this was being flown on public land and all it really amounted to was they were told to either move it inside the museum or to someone's private property, and they got so mad they are threatening to close?

Lol, well, die on that hill again I guess.

im just gonna walk around in a Union uniform and treat every confederate flag I see as being waved by an as of yet unsurrendered enemy combatant

When the war ended, the Union pardoned almost all the higher ranking military officials and gave them positions within the government. Which played a large part of the south being able to effectively rewrite history. So basically the flag is allowed to fly because "states rights" (Read: racism).

Mass One

It doesn't, people who rejected America but we're forced back into the union after losing, raised their kids believing they were robbed, and so on and so forth.

There's a reason you don't find that flag generally outside the south.....and deep northern California for reasons I don't quite understand.

I know you said generally but you can find it flying high somewhere in every state. North South East West and parts of Canada.

Too many Southerners believe it's about their identity and preserving "southern heritage". They conveniently deny the whole slavery connection. These people aren't just your everyday backwoods racists, they're also in office and fight any bills that call for the removal of the flag.

Because we fucked up reconstruction after the war. Instead of lining up and shooting every traitor leader and installing a more liberal government in traitor states, President Johnson chose to go soft on them and allow them to keep a lot of their racist institutions intact. Which led to worship of idols and symbols, more denial of rights, etc.

So in the tail end of reconstruction and later in the height of Jim Crow, blacks were lynched, monuments were built, flags worshiped, and a romanticized view of confederate shitheads allowed to fester.

Gattsu25

Banned

The south rewrote history and teaches this alternate history to new generations. The civil war wasn't about slavery -- it was about "states' rights" (the state's right to allow the selling and owning of slaves).

Nepenthe

Let it shutter.

Have someone else buy it and turn it into a slavery history museum instead. Fly the American flag in the confederate flag's place.

"Never forget."

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I was visiting a Military base for work and saw this giant pickup truck int he parking lot with a confederate flag waving from the back next to a POW and American flag, and I was totally baffled...

kirblar

There are confederate flags all over West Virginia. "Southern Pride?"

West Virginia was a union state who came into being because they split from VA, a slave state that seceded!

Phu

Banned
The Confederate flag is one of the few explicitly Un-American things you can own, and a ton of people [especially in the South] love slapping it on everything.

Velcro Fly

Going to that facebook page to take a look and seeing them name dead Confederate soldiers on Memorial Day almost made me sick.

Let's just say the North was too lenient on the South despite being the victor in the Civil War. Any traces of the confederacy, white supremacists and anti-union sentiment should have been wiped from existence.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Southern Pride aka racism.

It doesn't. Logic doesn't apply to racists. It didn't in the past, and it doesn't in the present.

When the war ended, the Union pardoned almost all the higher ranking military officials and gave them positions within the government. Which played a large part of the south being able to effectively rewrite history. So basically the flag is allowed to fly because "states rights" (Read: racism).

Thanks for the explanation guys. Yeah it doesn't make any sense outside of a racist rewriting of history. It reminds me of the story last year of a Georgian 18 year old, who was shocked that his confederate tattoo made him ineligible to be recruited to the US Marines.

norm9

Let's just say the North was too lenient on the South despite being the victor in the Civil War. Any traces of the confederacy, white supremacists and anti-union sentiment should have been wiped from existence.

The compromise of 1877 pulled out union troops out of the south and gave power back to the racists.

Top Bottom