• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth announced, Fall 2014, PC [Trailer, Details]

Sounds interesting, Alpha Centauri was in some ways more interesting than Civ, and the non-military endgame options were excellent. And the new tech was very well done as well... "Organic Superlube? Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff..." If this game is a spiritual successor to all that, it has a lot of potential. Alas, I will probably never play it, as I spent way too many months playing Civ 2, AC and Civ 3 back in the day, and I don't want to do that ever again. Ok, I want to, but mustn't.

BeesEight

As of late 2012 the series (all five games plus expansion packs) had done 11 million copies: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970204598504578081043913505274

It's not a huge seller by any means, but it's not very costly either, so it's a good source of digital revenue.

Hm, had no idea of the numbers it was drawing. Seems to be doing decently well all things considered.

Their DLC isn't like most DLC. It works like a board game. The base games are generally very complete, and you pick up expansions based on your interest in the new faction or mechanics. You also don't necessarily play every game with all expansions activated, depending on what you want out of your session, like with Sunset Invasion and other ahistorical additions.

It isn't like Civ 5 where expansions are straight upgrades that make the base game seem worse in retrospect.
I say just jump in whenever and buy the addons you want when they are on sale.

Much of the DLC is pretty forgettable or ignorable for sure. However, Heir to the Throne and Divine Wind are pretty close to traditional expansion packs that just put in so much over the base game. Personally, I felt Crusader Kings II had enough "big" DLC that they could have been bundled together for a decent expansion instead of selling piecemeal.

2K-published games always require Steam nowadays.

Yeah, I'm fine with Steam integration. I just wish that it didn't have such awful mod support. Civ V modding is still a pain even to this day. It was nicer with Civ IV where I could just load right into massive gameplay overhauls without having to launch the main game then launch all the additions afterward.

Chairman Yang (the GAF member, not the faction leader) doesn't seem like the excitable type, but I'd like to think this is the announcement to get him hyped out of his skull.

As a recent Civ convert with Civ V, I'm pretty excited for this. Bought Alpha Centauri a while ago from GOG, but it seemed a little dense. Re-downloaded to get a feel for Beyond Earth.

prudislav

OMFG, modern Alpha Centauri? This is too much for me, my excite is through the fucking roof.
same here
scary-movie-cum-blast-o.gif

Beyond Earth is sounding like the sequel that I've been waiting for. As a traditional Civ fan, the hex grid and single unit per-tile is going to be a massive hurdle for me to get over though.

I go back and play Alpha Centauri
for far too much time
about once a year.

I will joyously embrace single unit per tile restrictions. If anyone thinks this is a negative, they don't remember Alpha Centauri's late game well enough.

Then the Harmony player can take advantage of all the things that are threatening to you in the beginning of the game, even to the extent that they start to design their own alien creatures. You get to play these big alien things at the end of the game, they even ride them. They're not space elves, they're still very tough

It takes espionage from Brave New World and expands it quite a bit. You can do many, many more things with spies when you get them in cities and things like smuggling from them and stealing their research and technology to things like planting the Dune thumper device in their city and having worms pop out. Only the Harmony player can do that. Or setting off a nuclear explosion, a dirty bomb in their city

From the PCGamer interview. Sold.

Totakeke

Damn, is it me is there a recent resurgence in space-related stuffs in the media? Sounds like a perfect time for them to come out with this game. Will definitely buy day zero.

belushy

Banned
While the base game sounds pretty awesome (so far) I'm hoping that every planet each time looks and feels completely different. Different colors(purples, dark greens, reds), different monsters(Fish people, taurens, giant bugs). If vanilla doesn't have it, then I hope someone makes a mod for it.

This is how it should be done, "here is our cool game, its coming out in a couple months". Not "Heres this general idea we have for a game that may or may not come out in the next 2 years and will in now way resemble the original idea."

ST2K

This is the best thing they could have possibly announced. I can't believe it.

Can't wait to play this thing.

Wow. This has my interest. This reminds me less of Alpha Centauri than it does of a little known feature in Civ 2. If you set victory type to conquest only and make the length of the game unlimited you can still launch a spacecraft. What's really cool is your spacecraft eventually reached its destination and you could colonize a whole new alien planet (with at least one hostile alien civ). Eventually, your earth competitors would also deploy to the new planet and all hell would break loose.

I play Civ 5 on my 4 year old Macbook Pro but the experience is less than optimal. I have no interest in buying a gaming PC. It would be really cool if Firaxis made a PS4 port this time around. The touchpad on the DS4 should allow them a lot of flexibility in the control schemes. As XCOM showed them, turn based strategy on consoles is a very viable market.

Aim_Ed

This is now my most anticipated game of the year.

That bit of the trailer with the Somali transmission put a giant smile on my face.

jblank83

Sounds interesting, Alpha Centauri was in some ways more interesting than Civ, and the non-military endgame options were excellent..

Definitely. Alpha Centauri had really nice diplomacy and exploration. Looking forward to this. And hopefully we won't have to wait 2-3 years for all the expansions to bring the base game up to snuff.

Sounds fun. It would be awesome if this could attach to Civ 5 somehow so you can start at like 5000 BC in Civ5 BNW and eventually end up in Beyond Earth. Probably won't work like that though. It's Civ so I'm buying it either way. I just hope my laptop can run it decently.

Zynx

All I want from an Alpha Centauri sequel is better AI.

As long as it still has custom units, social engineering, the advanced terraforming/terrain, and the same kind of 'paradigm shift' techs like supply crawlers.

Do we have any substantial Information on the factions yet?

So far I've gathered that some of the factions will include

• Brazilia
  • American Reclamation Corporation
  • Panasian Cooperative

Do we have any more?

P.S. HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So 5 pages of praise and 10 of port begging by the PS4 brigade... yep, another PC game GAF thread.
Remember that Watch Dogs thread where I called out your anti console garbage and you said it was all a joke?

You need to work on your material.

Half expecting people like you and Htown to keep the anti game pad thing going while busting a nut when Steam controller support is added.

Do we have any substantial Information on the factions yet?

So far I've gathered that some of the factions will include

• Brazilia
  • American Reclamation Corporation
  • Panasian Cooperative

Do we have any more?

P.S. HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE
There's three different "ideals", Purity (specific goal is to preserve humanity, move settlers in, xenophobicish, big and bulky/tanky, lotso guns), Harmony (more alien oriented, spread out more, lots of movement options etc.), and Supremacy (robots, technology, cybernetics, want to ascend humanity etc.).

Ludovico

Beautiful trailer, can't wait to play this.

I was delaying a new PC build thanks to Witcher 3 being pushed back, but looks like I may have a change of plans.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri. I said this day would never come.

Just give me terraforming, planetbusters, and space elevator+jumpjet troops.

In my dream scenario, they're also getting the original writers to do the flavor text for the techs and secret projects. The writing really was a large part of the heart and soul of Alpha Centauri.

Top Bottom