• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization III: Complete question

Ecrofirt

Awhile ago you guys recommended I get Civ III for my dad's PC.

I went to pick it up tonight, and on the system requirements, it said it needed DirectX 9.0b

Uh, wtf.

He's got a GeForce 2 MX, which is why the game was recommended to me. Is it gonig to run on his PC, or should I look for something else again?

It's probably just asking you to install said version, if he's got dx 9c already he's fine. Last I remember the game wasn't heavily reliant on sm2.0 functions.

siege

Banned
It will run fine.

Pentium II, 300Mhz
32 MB RAM
400 MB free HD space
4X CD-ROM
DirectX 8.0a or better
Video card: capable of 1024 x 768 x 16-bit color
Sound card: DirectX 8.0a compatible

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
civ 3 definitely doesn't require 9.0b, unless you're getting like a combo pack that has all the expansions. Even then it's just requiring that for stability, not for the extensions that it supports. Keep in mind you can install any version of directx, no matter what functions your card supports (IIRC).

Civ IV definitely requires a beefy graphics card though.

Ecrofirt

From Amazon.com

B00029QR7O.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

# Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
# Pentium II 400 MHz
# 128 MB RAM
# 760 MB free HD space (in addition to the 600 MB required by Civilization III)
# 4X speed or faster CD-ROM
# Windows 98/Me/2000/XP-compatible video card
# Windows 98/Me/2000/XP-compatible sound card
# DirectX version 9.0b (included) or higher
# LAN or Internet connection required for some multiplayer modes, Broadband connection recommended for 5 or more players, microphone required for voice chat

That's what I picked up. It wants DirectX 9.0b

The Card is a DX8 card.

Ecrofirt

PC specs confuse the hell out of me.

Why list something as a system requirement if ifn't not really a requirement and you can run without it?

Top Bottom