• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization In Fiction That Have The Most Advanced Technology

I'm thinking of anything from books, comics, manga, anime, show, and movie

Comic wise I would say

The Beyonders. They have technology as advanced as the Celestials.

Last edited:

I'm guessing he means the Q from Star Trek.

Q_portrait.jpg

As for tech the Feds from Star Trek are pretty up there, including the far future version seen in Discovery. I've heard a number of times on sci fi boards the Xeelee are ridiculously advanced. Then there are the number of civilizations from 40K.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never was a fan of Star Trek except Wrath of Khan 1982 is a solid movie.

But got to say that the times I saw Q episodes when my bro watched old ST shows, those episodes were great. The actor made the character slick, not his super powers or Picard getting pissed.

Kenpachii

Q who episode was amazing, humans thought they where on top of the food chain and the first moment he shows up they realized they where nothing but very lucky to still be alive in the universe and nothing else then just that as they where ants.

The introduction of the borg that Q pushes picard in his face, a enemy that is far superior then them but aren't aggressive at first they do practically nothing, slow moving, they just board your ship ignore you and eventually absolutely decimate you when its to late, but even if u do resist u can't do shit And then Q uses them as toys. Which eventually the only option for picard was to beg him for mercy lol.

Such a good character.

Last edited:

Hudo

Yeah, I'll agree with the Q. That whole civ and story line is so strong that it has been used again and again in various Star Trek series over the years. And rightfully so.

Dark Age of Technology was extremely powerful. Also, when the C'tan were whole they were basically space gods.

Forerunners were also extremely technologically advanced and as advanced as they were, the Precursors are even more advanced and supposedly predate the universe.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Iain M Banks' The Culture.
Yep, or some of the ancient civilizations of Neal Asher's Polity universe, which is kind of a more action and less contemplative take on the Culture universe. And Im not gonna say Q cuz sorry that may be technically a good answer but its dated and cheesy at this point.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Technomages. From Babylon 5 spin-off "Crusade".

Yep, or some of the ancient civilizations of Neal Asher's Polity universe, which is kind of a more action and less contemplative take on the Culture universe. And Im not gonna say Q cuz sorry that may be technically a good answer but its dated and cheesy at this point.

This thread asked about technology... The Q Continuum are superbeings who no longer have a need for technology. Like the being in the season 3 episode "Transfigurations"... They evolved from the need for a physical form.

Kenpachii

This might be of interest I quess Q would be type 4

Nice video but everything after type 3 is just tinfoil head bullshit lol.

It also doesn't take into account that at some point advancements are simple not going to happen anymore and civilizations could go extinct entirely.

Like for example the human population is exploding massively, colonizing other planets is crucial for survival. But then population degree's massively, why even bother spend any money on going to other planets to colonize it while u have everything u need and more on your own planet.

The asgard from sg1 where super advanced and could shred there own body's for new cloned ones. and u could say that transferring brain date through fiber would also be "shredding your body through light", but rather into cloning. There population was tiny and they died off because they created a new issue a clone disease that degraded there cells. They where not as advanced as a type 3 civilization yet stargate had those with the ancients and also they all died off or just disappeared with single numbers left throughout the galaxy that cared about absolute nothing.

Type 4 civilization realizes multiple universes exist is also just tinfoil head bullshit and it gets worse after that.

We see over and over again that the more civilisation advances, the more populations decreases and at some point why do you need supernova like energy? for what? to power up your iphone 3000? no at some point with population decreasing etc and tech improving, more power isn't going to matter even remotely, and i would say technology would even become irrelevant to advance further.

It's like when a engine gets made, and its only 1 horse power and it sucks badly, a scientist believes that with 4 years later the arrival of a 2 horse power engine, that eventually we will have a million horse power and can transport everything over roads without ease. But then u move to the future and see that 500 horse power is really all u need and nobody is building 10.000 horse power engines let alone a million horse power as it's simple not relevant anymore.

Also about life on higher dimensions, if the 4th or whatever higher dimension or another dimension would exist, there would also be lower dimensions such as the second dimension. So why can't we see creatures on that dimension? because its all bullshit what u see is what u get and u can give it dimension names but it aint changing the reality of what u see.

It's always funny tho that at the end of those type of video's the same with how the universe would develop through endless amounts of time video made by scientist all revolve around the end point where we have "god like beings"

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Nobody read...

Pandora's Star (Commonwealth Saga Book 1) https://amzn.eu/d/emR8xkZ

And it's 1000yr later sequels...

The Dreaming Void (The Void Trilogy Book 1) https://amzn.eu/d/fCg2PxI

Humanity has some serious technology in these books, basically conquered death and the stars with a very realistic take on how we could potentially end up given the tech, great books btw, absolutely massive sci-fi opera's and some of the best I've read

Zathalus

Also about life on higher dimensions, if the 4th or whatever higher dimension or another dimension would exist, there would also be lower dimensions such as the second dimension. So why can't we see creatures on that dimension? because its all bullshit what u see is what u get and u can give it dimension names but it aint changing the reality of what u see.
We don't see second dimensional lifeforms because we live in a three (technically four) dimensional universe.

Higher/alternative dimensions can theoretically exist and you can write formulas that support such, but we have no method of proving it at this time.

Nobody read...

Humanity has some serious technology in these books, basically conquered death and the stars with a very realistic take on how we could potentially end up given the tech, great books btw, absolutely massive sci-fi opera's and some of the best I've read
There is also the Chronicle of the Fallers which runs parallel with the void trilogy.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

It also doesn't take into account that at some point advancements are simple not going to happen anymore and civilizations could go extinct entirely.

Like for example the human population is exploding massively, colonizing other planets is crucial for survival. But then population degree's massively, why even bother spend any money on going to other planets to colonize it while u have everything u need and more on your own planet.

The asgard from sg1 where super advanced and could shred there own body's for new cloned ones. and u could say that transferring brain date through fiber would also be "shredding your body through light", but rather into cloning. There population was tiny and they died off because they created a new issue a clone disease that degraded there cells. They where not as advanced as a type 3 civilization yet stargate had those with the ancients and also they all died off or just disappeared with single numbers left throughout the galaxy that cared about absolute nothing.

Type 4 civilization realizes multiple universes exist is also just tinfoil head bullshit and it gets worse after that.

We see over and over again that the more civilisation advances, the more populations decreases and at some point why do you need supernova like energy? for what? to power up your iphone 3000? no at some point with population decreasing etc and tech improving, more power isn't going to matter even remotely, and i would say technology would even become irrelevant to advance further.

It's like when a engine gets made, and its only 1 horse power and it sucks badly, a scientist believes that with 4 years later the arrival of a 2 horse power engine, that eventually we will have a million horse power and can transport everything over roads without ease. But then u move to the future and see that 500 horse power is really all u need and nobody is building 10.000 horse power engines let alone a million horse power as it's simple not relevant anymore.

It's always funny tho that at the end of those type of video's the same with how the universe would develop through endless amounts of time video made by scientist all revolve around the end point where we have "god like beings"

Only thing I'm mentioning is The Ancients. They didn't die off, they ascended.

Ok Debbie Downer

phaedrus

Don't know about the "most" part, but my favorite ancient advanced civilization (that mysteriously went extinct) are the Krell from Forbidden Planet.

I just rewatched it recently, and for a 67 year-old movie it still holds up remarkably well.
Yes I'm serious. And don't call me Shirley.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

This might be of interest I quess Q would be type 4

After I discovered the Kardashev scale it became clear to me how stupid and worthless humanity actually is and how small we are in the grand scheme of things,humanity is too busy waging wars,killing eachother for meaningless things like money,land or power to be able to advance into a new type of civilization,you'd expect after so many years of wars and poverty on a massive scale that we'd somehow learn and advance as a species but here we are in 2024 still fighting wars and still just as bitter and racist towards eachother as before only now guised under a "woke" facade when in the grand scheme of things all this shit looks like ants fighting over a breadcome.There's no meaning to life as much as we'd like to believe there's some grand plan for us or if there is...we are failing spectacularly at it.

The universe will go on just fine without us if we go extinct same as our world goes on when an anthill is stomped on...

I know this shit sounds depressing but it is in a way liberating cuz it should teach you to live your life the way you want it to as you only have one chance to do so.

Kenpachii

After I discovered the Kardashev scale it became clear to me how stupid and worthless humanity actually is and how small we are in the grand scheme of things,humanity is too busy waging wars,killing eachother for meaningless things like money,land or power to be able to advance into a new type of civilization,you'd expect after so many years of wars and poverty on a massive scale that we'd somehow learn and advance as a species but here we are in 2024 still fighting wars and still just as bitter and racist towards eachother as before only now guised under a "woke" facade when in the grand scheme of things all this shit looks like ants fighting over a breadcome.There's no meaning to life as much as we'd like to believe there's some grand plan for us or if there is...we are failing spectacularly at it.

The universe will go on just fine without us if we go extinct same as our world goes on when an anthill is stomped on...

I know this shit sounds depressing but it is in a way liberating cuz it should teach you to live your life the way you want it to as you only have one chance to do so.

That's the reason i started giving zero shits about space really. At the end it matters nothing and your life is to short to even bother with it. Just life how u wanna live and enjoy the moment, it will be fast over anyway.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Nobody read...

For sure, all of Peter F. Hamiltons stuff deals with incredibly advanced civilizations that still have at least some connection to motivations and desires we would recognize now. His alien threats are usually almost inscrutably alien. I'd put the Adamists and Edenists of his first trilogy, the Nights Dawn, as pretty up there as well.

Another hard sci-fi guy with advanced, but still mostly following principles as we understand it now, is Peter Watts. The aliens in Echopraxia and Firefall are out there for sure. Of course there are plenty of other hard sci-fi authors like Steven Baxter and Vernor Vinge, as well as the aforementioned Ian M. Banks, that have even more advanced stuff.

Top Bottom