• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Got beat by a level 8 guy with like level 9 units. He was terrible! This game really triggers Hearthstone p2w rage.

Don't let the level difference scare you. The differences aren't that great between levels. That said, I always hate facing guys 2+ ahead of me, but almost everyone in my bracket is level 9 with more and more level 10s. Makes me sad when they drop level 6 epics to my lil level 8 commons.

Gotchaye

Don't let the level difference scare you. The differences aren't that great between levels. That said, I always hate facing guys 2+ ahead of me, but almost everyone in my bracket is level 9 with more and more level 10s. Makes me sad when they drop level 6 epics to my lil level 8 commons.

Yeah, I've realized that tower/castle level isn't a huge deal, but it generally signifies that they've got a lead in card level too, and that's a big deal. It seems like most cards get 10% more damage and health per level.

I'm having fun playing this game. I'm at a win or two away from arena 3 (I'm lvl 4), and I have been playing very casually. I only play if I have an open chest slot, which means progress has been fairly slow, naturally. My deck seems to work pretty well, I've yet to spend any real money on it:

Minions (lvl 4)
Archers (lvl 5)
Valkyrie (lvl 2)
Musketeer (lvl 3)
Witch (lvl 2)
Knight (lvl 5)
Spear Goblins (lvl 5)
Prince (lvl 1)

I feel like musketeer and knight are replacable cards, if I can get better ones from next arena.

Svafnir

Any way to know roughly where you are in terms of chest number?

You can tell by your wins, if you haven't won when you are full of chests. Otherwise not really, unless you record the pattern of like 5 or so to guess where you are in the list.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You can tell by your wins, if you haven't won when you are full of chests. Otherwise not really, unless you record the pattern of like 5 or so to guess where you are in the list.

Sorry, I'm being stupid. Where can you see your wins? I just filled my chests and then lost a match but couldn't see anything

Any suggestions, guys?

6JMyoNo.jpg

Bk81FNw.jpg

Xeteh

Getting frustrated. Got up to Arena 4 then almost immediately dropped back down. I feel like every fight is either squeeking out a 1-0 win or getting beat. Everyone seems to carry counters to the Prince and I don't really have anything else to put there.

Getting frustrated. Got up to Arena 4 then almost immediately dropped back down. I feel like every fight is either squeeking out a 1-0 win or getting beat. Everyone seems to carry counters to the Prince and I don't really have anything else to put there.
Yeah Arena 4 is quite the wall, struggling myself, some high level cards there. Prince is easily countered by swarming him so you need units with aoe.

medze

Prince is tough cause barbs will slaughter him and Knight is also a good counter. Like suggested, bringing some aoe with him might be useful (baby drake comes to mind). Also, timing can be huge on Prince. If you know your opponent just blew a lot of mana or used his Prince counter on something else, then it might be a good time to use him.

Xeteh

Yeah Arena 4 is quite the wall, struggling myself, some high level cards there. Prince is easily countered by swarming him so you need units with aoe.

Prince is tough cause barbs will slaughter him and Knight is also a good counter. Like suggested, bringing some aoe with him might be useful (baby drake comes to mind). Also, timing can be huge on Prince. If you know your opponent just blew a lot of mana or used his Prince counter on something else, then it might be a good time to use him.

Yeah, I have some AoE but unless it is right there with him like a Valkyrie the Prince just dies so fast. With Barbarians especially he just gets annihilated. I don't have a baby drake, I'd probably use it instead of Prince right now. I do try to use it whenever they blow their Elixir but I find it hard to judge. I'm not good at keeping track of their expenses. I don't really know a lot of the cards' costs so unless they drop like 3-4 units I tend to try to guess.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I think of the prince as a punisher (like the Hog), not really a unit I send out randomly bc he's so easily countered. For example, if my opponent drops a dragon and a wizard on one side of the map, I would immediately drop a prince and some cheap units on the other side. Dragon and Wizard aren't really that strong against towers, so I don't fear their damage. My prince will take that tower down.

Or you can try to combo the prince with a fireball. People are predictable - what worked once, they'll keep doing it. Say you drop a prince, and he drops barbs on them. Okay, great counter. Next time you drop your prince, he'll be waiting with his barbs just as the prince crosses the river. If you time a fireball to land just as you cross the river, you can blow up his barbs and your prince can get to the tower and cause some havoc. I've done that particular move about 90000000 times, with either a hog rider or a prince. People like to drop barbs or minion horde right on top of charging enemies.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I think of the prince as a punisher (like the Hog), not really a unit I send out randomly bc he's so easily countered. For example, if my opponent drops a dragon and a wizard on one side of the map, I would immediately drop a prince and some cheap units on the other side. Dragon and Wizard aren't really that strong against towers, so I don't fear their damage. My prince will take that tower down.
Yeah exactly when that happens I drop my Prince on the other lane and spawn spear goblins/musketeer/gargoyles behind the tower that will get the dragon/witch. Boom, 1-0 for me.

Also, since Knight + spear gobs/musketter/bomb skel is legit threat to towers you can bait the opponent into spending elixir so you have the path open for a Prince in the other lane.

Or you can try to combo the prince with a fireball. People are predictable - what worked once, they'll keep doing it. Say you drop a prince, and he drops barbs on them. Okay, great counter. Next time you drop your prince, he'll be waiting with his barbs just as the prince crosses the river. If you time a fireball to land just as you cross the river, you can blow up his barbs and your prince can get to the tower and cause some havoc. I've done that particular move about 90000000 times, with either a hog rider or a prince. People like to drop barbs or minion horde right on top of charging enemies.
Fireball is nice but for one less elixir the arrows cover a wider arena making it the perfect counter to that swarm of skeleton epic. Fireball's extra damage matters less and less when you can level up the arrows and when you're getting to higher arenas.

broz0rs

Fireball is nice but for one less elixir the arrows cover a wider arena making it the perfect counter to that swarm of skeleton epic. Fireball's extra damage matters less and less when you can level up the arrows and when you're getting to higher arenas.

Fireballs can one-shot barbs, arrows can't.

Personally, I just can't stand skeleton army so I choose arrows over Fireball. I regret the decision when I see barbs though haha

Crazyorloco

not only are the chest unlock timers stupid, but the crown chest unlock timer actively discourages you from playing until it unlocks too. I don't want to play games and fill up my chests, then get the crown chest to unlock because then I have to earn another 10 crowns which means wasted chests.

So the most efficient approach seems to be
- unlock gold chest overnight
- crown chest probably unlocks around then too
- unlock silver chests throughout the day until you only have one silver left
- set the last silver chest unlocking
- start playing battles to earn chests + crowns for the crown chest.
- stop when you hit 10 crowns & full chests.

Pretty much how I play this.

Are there any more gaf clans open? The first three looks like they are full, is there anyone that can be kicked? Or is anyone interested in making a fourth GAF clan?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How much damage to a tower do arrows do vs a fireball? I'm really not enjoying when my opponent throws a Skelton army at me along with eg a prince because the swarm means the prince is getting through with his attacks. But I like the fireball for attacking and finishing off that last sliver of health on a tower

mercviper

How much damage to a tower do arrows do vs a fireball? I'm really not enjoying when my opponent throws a Skelton army at me along with eg a prince because the swarm means the prince is getting through with his attacks. But I like the fireball for attacking and finishing off that last sliver of health on a tower
Fireball is going to be roughly 2.5 more damage to a tower. I used to run fireball but arrows get elixir advantage on pretty much the same things. The only real exception is barbarians, but I also run bomber which is +2 vs barbarians.

Got lucky in getting a prince to help me break that 1400 wall. At 1656 trophies now and probably going to hit another wall around 1800 when I run into lvl 7s more consistently, as the games are pretty close 1 crown wins and losses again. Current deck: https://imgur.com/a/keUvG

Edit: I keep seeing posts about people not wanting to play because they're losing out on imaginary chests, but that doesn't really make sense unless you plateaued at your current trophy wall, wherever it exists. If you can make it into the next arena with your cards you should since the chests are better, free and crown as well, when you hit higher arenas. Also the game is fun so why not play it.

So I'm going to do a mini guide on how to use your elixir and when to use your cards. Alot of people mention having troubles with openings, dealing with things, etc. so I'm going to try and go through my thought process on how to do well at higher levels of play(While being f2p).

Don't be proactive, be reactionary.

So let's give you a starting hand. I'll go over multiple examples, but it'll be focused around the start of a match. For my examples I'll be using things like '3e', which means 3 elixir cost(I'll put the cards name afterwards to make it apparent).

So let's say you start a match, and this is your starting hand-
4e Tesla Tower
4e Musketeer
3e Knight
5e Giant

So what do you at the start of a match? You wait. You watch your elixir bar fill up. You don't know what your opponent has, and you don't want to throw something down a lane without knowing whether it'll be countered immediately. You let your elixir fill up. When it gets close to 10 elixir, and your opponent hasn't dropped anything, then you have to make a choice, but either way you'll HAVE to drop something. You don't want to waste elixir, because once it hits 10 it stops filling up until you drop something.

So what's the best opening move?
If your opponent hasn't dropped anything, and you don't know what cards he might have, you put down the tesla tower. It frees up 4 elixir to let you fill up again, and your opponent has to play around that fact. If your opponent still doesn't put anything down, then it's his loss. Again, be reactionary, not proactive.

Let's look at another hand-
5e Witch
5e Giant
2e Goblins
4e Skeleton Army

This is a harder opening hand. When you start getting close to 10 mana, you're going to have to drop something. In this case, the best thing to drop would be a witch, and the position you would drop her in is behind your castle to maximize your elixir gain before she hits to the opposing side.Your opponent will have to react to it and will either put something to block her, or try and rush down a side(In which case you have Skele army+giant to stop).

In both these examples, these opening moves let you be defensive due to the positioning of the cards you use(Witch being behind castle, tesla tower), lets you gain elixir without immediately losing your unit, and let's you plan out your next move and react to what the opponent will use as you'll have sufficient mana.

So how do I be proactive?

This is a bit tougher. It takes knowing how much elixir most cards cost, and how fast you gain elixir. So if someone puts a prince and hog rider on one side, that's 10 of their mana in one go. Both are easily countered by a skele army, musketeer, pekka, but I'm not talking about counters here.

So let's say your opponent goes all in on one lane, and you know that you can counter this. Let's say in total they use 10 elixir on that one lane, and you're thinking 'Man my skeleton army will stop all of that!'. Suddenly you have 6 mana free plus that witch you put at the beginning behind your castle. Once you've reacted to their opening play, you can be proactive and assault the opposite lane with everything you have, knowing that they won't be free to counter you.
(In this scenario, it's assuming your opponent sat on 10 elixir for a while. otherwise you'll have 2 going on 3 elixir after using a skele army)

Either way, keeping a track of the elixir they spent and seeing the cards they're using, and you'll be able to know when they're low on mana to counter you. I discussed openings, but the main point is to always be reactionary, and to never waste any card drops without them having a defensive value to their use, and usually that means putting them in the back so you can build up some elixir while they walk up to the opponents side, and they can't counter that unit immediately, and as always keep track of what units they drop, of the elixir that they cost, and try to keep in mind their total elixir usage to know when you can go all out without fear of retribution.

Those are my tips~ Hopefully they help someone out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fireball is going to be roughly 2.5 more damage to a tower. I used to run fireball but arrows get elixir advantage on pretty much the same things. The only real exception is barbarians, but I also run bomber which is +2 vs barbarians.

Got lucky in getting a prince to help me break that 1400 wall. At 1656 trophies now and probably going to hit another wall around 1800 when I run into lvl 7s more consistently, as the games are pretty close 1 crown wins and losses again. Current deck: https://imgur.com/a/keUvG

Edit: I keep seeing posts about people not wanting to play because they're losing out on imaginary chests, but that doesn't really make sense unless you plateaued at your current trophy wall, wherever it exists. If you can make it into the next arena with your cards you should since the chests are better, free and crown as well, when you hit higher arenas. Also the game is fun so why not play it.

Wow you have more than double the number of trophies hat I have, but the same level/score

Farmboy

Very addictive game. Am trying not to spend any money but man, when all chest-slots are full it's really trying my patience.

I've just reached the third arena, my first chest from there is ticking down as we speak. Here's what I'm playing with now:

Arrows (5)
Archer (5)
Musketeer (4)
Familiar (5)
Knight (5)
Kobold Hut (3)
Kobold Barrel (1)
Bomb-Thrower (5)

(Am playing in Dutch, so not sure these names are all correct. Familiars are the blue, Gargoyle-looking things)

In my deck, I have (among other things) skeletons, kobolds and spear kobolds at level 5, giant, fireball, valkyre and PEKKA at 3. Don't have the prince, witch or the skeleton army.

Tips welcome!

Xater

Just started playing this. It's surprisingly fun. I have reached level 3, so hopefully the GAF Clan will accept me.

Gotchaye

I play when I got nothing to earn, just for fun. Am I wasting something by doing that?

Only time, unless you're climbing ranks. The chests, including the free and crown chests, contain more gold and cards at higher arena levels. Though the problem with climbing as high as you can is that it starts taking forever to collect 10 crowns.

And a level 1 epic is comparable to a level 5 common, so definitely consider the Witch and the Prince.

Quonny

Deleted the game. It's fun, but the P2W aspect is too strong. It's too limiting for free players with the dumb chest system.

LogicStep

Only time, unless you're climbing ranks. The chests, including the free and crown chests, contain more gold and cards at higher arena levels. Though the problem with climbing as high as you can is that it starts taking forever to collect 10 crowns.

And a level 1 epic is comparable to a level 5 common, so definitely consider the Witch and the Prince.
Hmm I see. I'll have to stop then, I've noticed matches have become increasingly harder. Only thing I don't like about having so many strong cards is how expensive they are to play. I still haven't figured out the right balance.

daydream

Banned
this game does the weirdest thing for me. everytime i get a notification, my phone rumbles. now, i want those notifications on my lock screen but not the rumbling. this is the first app that does it and i'm completely out of ideas on how to turn it off

this game does the weirdest thing for me. everytime i get a notification, my phone rumbles. now, i want those notifications on my lock screen but not the rumbling. this is the first app that does it and i'm completely out of ideas on how to turn it off

Same. I like the chest notifications but they always come with sound/vibration.
I just turned notifications off completely for the app on the OS level but I wish there was a way to configure them in the app itself.

Future

Fighting people 2 levels above me is trying my patience. Cards are stronger, towers are stronger.... Is it because I won recently? Why are they getting matched with low players like me.

Future

Fighting people 2 levels above me is trying my patience. Cards are stronger, towers are stronger.... Is it because I won recently? Why are they getting matched with low players like me.

Just as I post this I get matched with someone THREE levels above haha. Even if I was paying to win I think I'd be annoyed. Apparently I'm good enough that my low level ass can sometimes beat these players but it feels horrible

hollomat

Banned

Just as I post this I get matched with someone THREE levels above haha. Even if I was paying to win I think I'd be annoyed. Apparently I'm good enough that my low level ass can sometimes beat these players but it feels horrible

You're getting matched based on the trophy level. Happens to me all the time too and it's annoying. It makes such a big difference since but it's so rewarding beating someone with better cards and towers than you. Of the last 20 games I played, I think only one of my opponents was the same level as me. Every other opponent was 1, 2 or 3 levels above me.

Currently enjoying the hell out of an offensive Mortar deck. It's as annoying as Xbox decks but only Rare. It creates a loooot of pressure in one lane.

DrAg0nBoY

I started playing this game a couple of days ago. I like it so far. I sent a request for the NeoGaf and Gaf Royale clans. I do hope I get into one of those.

I started playing this game a couple of days ago. I like it so far. I sent a request for the NeoGaf and Gaf Royale clans. I do hope I get into one of those.

Hi, we had a mix up, with MonsieurPaul just recently, when I accidentally rejected his app, so if he shows up, and wants to join, we give him the spot, I think you are next in line.. :)

Edit... Oh well nvm..

Gotchaye

The replay system they've got seems pretty silly. It's not actually showing decent players. I was watching some and there were totally whiffed arrows and freezes all over the place, people dropping ranged units right in the way of melee units, etc.

Presumably what's going on is that the high ranks are just dominated by people who paid their way to level 12, but it seems like it'd be pretty easy to actually show good matches instead. Instead of showing replays for the people with the most trophies show replays between players using lower-level cards and with lower-level castles than other people with the same number of trophies. It's not like absolute card level makes much of a difference, since all the troops and most spells scale the same, although cards scale a bit better than towers. The only cards that get genuinely better at higher levels are things like Freeze.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Yeah, saw it clearly earlier in the day with high level players who OBVIOUSLY didn't give a damn about basic stuff like elixir advantage via apt countering.

Too bad because there seems to be decent metagame going on with X-Bow control decks vs aggro types.

Top Bottom