• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Ghostface mask returns in MTV's Scream S3

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
ghostface.jpg

MTV announced today that the famous Fun World mask will make its small screen debut in “Scream” Season 3, which will feature new characters and a whole new story.

Production is currently underway in Atlanta.

“Season three revolves around Deion Elliot, a local star running back whose tragic past comes back to haunt him at the worst time, threatening his hard-earned plans for his future — and the lives of his unlikely group of friends.”

Source

Really happy about this. I did like the mask they used in S1 and 2 but this is Scream, and this is what Ghostface should look like. Really liking some of the casting choices too. RJ Cyler was great in Power Rangers, and I love Keke Palmer.

What's the second season worth a watch? It kinda felt done at the end of season one but half the cast remained, but my brain felt done with it.

I'm torn because this does look good, but they did the old cast dirty by deciding to have Season 3 be a completely new story/cast/direction and not telling the old cast season 2 would be the end of their work there

Bex deserved better

New cast, huh? As much I enjoyed S2 waaay more than S1, dunno why they didn't do that from the start of S2. Kinda makes the build up towards the old backstory pointless... unless this is a red herring, of course.

strafer

I'm torn because this does look good, but they did the old cast dirty by deciding to have Season 3 be a completely new story/cast/direction and not telling the old cast season 2 would be the end of their work there

Bex deserved better

yeah, fuck that.

Will probably catch the bluray when it comes out, will not watch this live.

Joni

No Carlson Young, no Bex Taylor-Klaus, no John Karna. Classic Scream masker doesn't make up for it.

Interesting that they're going for a minority led cast this season, even got Queen Latifah producing.

Even moved to Atlanta.

I liked the first two seasons, 1 more than 2 and the Halloween special as well.

So I'll definitely check this out.

RPGCrazied

Pass. They ruined this. They couldn't even finish the last story from Season 2. All new actors and story for this Season. How about nope.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
No Carlson Young, no Bex Taylor-Klaus, no John Karna. Classic Scream masker doesn't make up for it.

Preach. It's just hard for me to get on board with this after the entire cast from the first two seasons (and a movie!) was jettisoned into space. Bringing the mask back seems like a cheap stunt to woo people in. Can't blame them but it's painfully transparent

Yeah, I don't give a shit about the mask anymore. Fuck them for just dropping all the plot lines and thinking they can pull a gimmick like bringing the mask back to make people all okay about it. Screw that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Huh, I thought this show was killed off? They did that special and everything. Guess it got picked up by another network? I don't know where it originally aired, I watched it on Netflix. But I did enjoy it, so it returning is cool with me.

The God

Huh, I thought this show was killed off? They did that special and everything. Guess it got picked up by another network? I don't know where it originally aired, I watched it on Netflix. But I did enjoy it, so it returning is cool with me.

S3 is basically a reboot

jwk94

Could this all be a ruse? Surely they didn't just dump the old cast when their stories were still going on.

LakeEarth

Alright, thanks. It's just that I'm absolutely positive I read that it was cancelled. I remember watching the finale special knowing it was the last I would see if this show. Did that happen, and then they changed their minds, or am I going crazy?

Maybe you're thinking of Scream Queens, which did get cancelled. Scream is basically cancelling the story they were building on up to this point, but the show itself is getting another chance.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Alright, thanks. It's just that I'm absolutely positive I read that it was cancelled. I remember watching the finale special knowing it was the last I would see if this show. Did that happen, and then they changed their minds, or am I going crazy?

You are going crazy. Show was never cancelled.

Joni

No. Season 3 was announced before that. It is why the special ends on a cliffhanger.

Well, in a way, it was the last you'd see of that version of the show. They were pretty quiet on the cancellation front after the movie aired; most people speculated it would be due to ratings, but it was never official. Then they released all the original actors from their contracts and decided a fresh start could, I don't know, somehow get them a new or bigger audience.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe you're thinking of Scream Queens, which did get cancelled. Scream is basically cancelling the story they were building on up to this point, but the show itself is getting another chance.

You are going crazy. Show was never cancelled.

No. Season 3 was announced before that. It is why the special ends on a cliffhanger.

Well, alright, lol. Never watched Scream Queens, so don't think so.

Well, in a way, it was the last you'd see of that version of the show. They were pretty quiet on the cancellation front after the movie aired; most people speculated it would be due to ratings, but it was never official. Then they released all the original actors from their contracts and decided a fresh start could, I don't know, somehow get them a new or bigger audience.

Maybe it's the speculation I remember.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Same here.

So is this technically a reboot? Can i jump back with this season?

So far it appears to be a brand new story, totally unconnected to anything else. But because of the costume and mask, I hope they will tie it to the 4 movies, somehow.

Yeah, I don't give a shit about the mask anymore. Fuck them for just dropping all the plot lines and thinking they can pull a gimmick like bringing the mask back to make people all okay about it. Screw that.

Yep. Just dropping the previous characters and storylines was bullshit. I don't really give a shit what mask the killer is wearing.

Top Bottom