• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic handheld gaming appreciation thread

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
cartman414 said:
Oh yes! I'd so download both GB MP games and Super Picross if they were offered on the VC in a heartbeat.
As would I (and I already own all three cartridges).

You are aware that there were eight other Nintendo picross games available for the Super Famicom through Nintendo of Japan's Nintendo Power service, aren't you? I'd love to see those made available on the VC as well since you can't really import the carts.

Here's Nintendo of Japan's official Nintendo Power page.

agent069

Banned
The game that made me a gamer :

SuperMarioLandbox.jpg

It's one the first game I've ever played and it blew me away. From that moment I needed a gameboy, and I've never stopped playing since then.

The game that made me a Megaman whore :

image.PNG

Not the best megaman at all, but it's the first one I've played, I must have finished this shit about 50 times :lol

Soulhouf

agent069 said:
The game that made me a gamer :

SuperMarioLandbox.jpg

It's one the first game I've ever played and it blew me away. From that moment I needed a gameboy, and I've never stopped playing since then.

The game that made me a Megaman whore :

image.PNG

Not the best megaman at all, but it's the first one I've played, I must have finished this shit about 50 times :lol
As for me...

get rid of Castlevania. The gameboy version sucked. Simon moved like he was stuck underwater wearing cement boots. CV2 for gameboy, on the other hand, was good.

Whimsical Phil said:
As would I (and I already own all three cartridges).

You are aware that there were eight other Nintendo picross games available for the Super Famicom through Nintendo of Japan's Nintendo Power service, aren't you? I'd love to see those made available on the VC as well since you can't really import the carts.

Here's Nintendo of Japan's official Nintendo Power page.

Oh yeah, the NP levels! Again, so many other goodies that couldn't be covered by the base systems, or domestic releases, alone. Now there's a topic that deserves its own thread. Any takers?

PolyGone

Banned
SantaC said:
Wizards & Warriors - Fortress of fear
Wizards_And_Warriors_X_Fortress_Of_Fear_GBC_ScreenShot2.jpg

Gargoyle's Quest
Gargoyles_Quest_GBC_ScreenShot2.jpg

Super Mario Land
Super_Mario_Land_GBC_ScreenShot2.jpg

Super Mario Land 2
Super_Mario_Land_2_6_Golden_Coins_GBC_ScreenShot2.jpg

Hunt for red october
Hunt_For_Red_October_GBC_ScreenShot2.jpg

Kid Icarus 2 - Myths and Monsters
Kid_Icarus_Of_Myths_And_Monsters_GBC_ScreenShot2.jpg

Metroid II - Return of Samus
Metroid_II_Return_Of_Samus_GBC_ScreenShot2.jpg

Wario Land
Super_Mario_Land_3_Wario_Land_GBC_ScreenShot2.jpg

TMNT - Fall of the footclan
Teenage_Mutant_Hero_Turtles_Fall_Of_The_Foot_Clan_GBC_ScreenShot2.jpg

Castlevania Adventure
Castlevania%20Adventure%2C%20The%20(%2791)%20(U)3.gif

Castlevania: Belmont's revenge
Castlevania_II_Belmonts_Revenge_GBC_ScreenShot2.jpg

Revenge of the Gator (best pinball game ever?)
Foto+Revenge+of+the+Gator.jpg

Bart Simpson's Escape From Camp Deadly
gb_escape2.gif

Hyper Load Runner
Hyper%20Lode%20Runner%20-%20Ingame.gif

Batman
Batman%20-%20Ingame.gif

Kwirk
Kwirk%20-%20Ingame.gif

Super RC proam
Super%20RC%20Pro-Am%20-%20Ingame.gif

Zelda LA
Legend_of_Zelda_Links_Awakening_GBC_ScreenShot2.jpg

and of course there is others as well.

Hardest ****ing game ever? Bart's escape from deadly camp. That game just didn't let me finish it. :lol

Its like we're the same person! jesus christ

only I also played all of the FF Legends, Adventure, Mega Man, etc

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I can't believe I forgot that Pokemon TCG even existed, shaaame on me :(

1081198293-00.png

B00004UA2I.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

sonic_p_a.jpg

BooJoh said:
There was a sequel in Japan on GBC, I'm not sure why it didn't get the English treatment. I'd love to see a new Pokémon TCG on DS (it sure beats Yu-Gi-Oh) but I'm not sure why Nintendo isn't doing it.

Actually, Nintendo did have it (TCG2 GBC) penciled in at one point. Hell, I played it a the game at E3 and was pretty psyched because of how good the first one was. But then they just canned it out of nowhere.

Still angers me to this day.

Valtox

20268703.JPG

Monster Max

From Wikipedia:
Monster Max was released in 1994 by Rare and Titus. It was written by Jon Ritman and Bernie Drummond.
It is very similar in both graphics and gameplay to Ritman and Drummond's 1987 title Head over Heels.

yonder

I'm a portable gamer at heart and it all started with the Game Boy for me. Mega Man II, Zelda LA, Super Mario Land I & II and of course Pokémon. Good times. We need a Link's Awakening remake!

cs060mk2

You guys must really suck then! I finished Wizards n Warriors twice! And I came to the last level when I played it again 10 years after. And it's a great game. I guess you need to like oldschool 8-bit games from UK to fully appreciate it.

Another thing I dont understand is the hate for the first Castlevania on the GameBoy. People complain about it being to slow, to hard and to shitty. But I got to tell you, it is not that bad, and I finished it twice, and we knew someone else who finished it to. Perhaps people who grew up on Tekken have a hard time timing the jumps in Castlevania, but thats the way a game played back then.

BTW, the first post almost fits all of my early favorites for the GameBoy.

Zynx

Yonn said:
I'm a portable gamer at heart and it all started with the Game Boy for me. Mega Man II, Zelda LA, Super Mario Land I & II and of course Pokémon. Good times. We need a Link's Awakening remake!
I'd rather have a sequel...I was SOOOO sad when the island disappeared when you beat the game. I was young then, attached to the characters - Malon and the others. (But then again, how do you have a sequel with the island gone? The Wind Fish dreams again? Well, Nintendo was never big on continuity anyways...)

Anyone remember Bubble Ghost? Kind of an interesting puzzle game.

Super Mario Land 2 was probably my favorite GB game, though Kirby's Dream Land was the first game I ever finished (although now it's way too easy).

Top Bottom