• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Marathon coming soon to Steam

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

GIzlr5dXgAA1Llx

About This Game​

Alien forces have boarded the colony ship UESC Marathon in the Tau Ceti system, in orbit around humanity’s first interstellar colony. The situation is dire, and as a security officer assigned to the Marathon, your duty is to defend the ship and its crew from the alien threat.

This classic 1994 Bungie™ FPS had a foundational influence on the genre, and is now maintained by the fan community. Experience authentic game play using the original data files, with optional widescreen HUD support, 3D filtering/perspective, positional audio, and 60+ fps interpolation, just in case the original is too authentic.

Classic Marathon is powered by the Aleph One engine, which is available under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) Version 3.

Last edited:

Gojiira

even though that is a total no-brainer, it'll never happen. Nu-Marathon will poison the brand.
Ikr, when Sony bought Bungie and the terms were specifically multiplayer games remain multiplat, I thought it was a no brainer they would tap them for Singleplayer exclusives. Always thought Marathon could have been Playstations Halo/Doom/Wolfenstein whatever, a modern version being more like System Shock or Prey, could have been great 😩
Same goes for Destiny, why the fuck isnt Naughty Dog or whoever making a Singleplayer game set in the Dark Age? A game where we play Pre-light Zavala or Ikora, see them build the last city, that initial war with the Fallen or Hive, could be amazing…

Last edited:

T0minator

The one that has nothing to do with the actual franchise, is a poorly playtested extraction shooter? No, it should be cancelled and a real Marathon game should be worked on.

There's an audience for everything, I'm actually looking forward to their new extraction shooter, the art style looks great, the gameplay is almost certainly going to be great. I could see being the "Helldivers 2 of 2025"

Chris Redd Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Maybe they were great when there wasn't much to compare it to, but I remember playing it forever ago and on the 360 and just thinking everything about it was bad to mediocre. More of a product of it's time than an all time classic.

But I guess I could be interested in at least watching some videos of a rerelease and see if my opinion could be changed.

Gojiira

There's an audience for everything, I'm actually looking forward to their new extraction shooter, the art style looks great, the gameplay is almost certainly going to be great. I could see being the "Helldivers 2 of 2025"
Except Helldivers 2 will be the Helldivers 2 of 2025….
There is indeed a audience for everything but more people want a Bungie campaign than another extraction shooter, and if playtesters are to be believed so far Marathon is meh to play. Its not a hot take to say more people want a Bungie campaign than a Bungie Extraction shooter, just seems like a waste of time, even if Im super curious about how it will tie into Destiny canon.

Hudo

That's the real Marathon. Not that multiplayer-only (most likely live-service) extraction shooter bullshit that Bungie are raping the IP with.

Top Bottom