• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classics HD: Ratchet and Clank Trilogy

r_x2

10th Anniversary. Fuck yeah!

What I want is Lego Ratchet and Clank, just think about it for a moment
-Kids will want it because they love Ratchet.
-Adults will buy it (themselves/their kids) cause they have the money for it, and love Ratchet .
-Create a cartoon for maximum profit /expose Ratchet to a new demographic

Make it happen

I'm gonna dream big here and say the 10th Anniversary collection for NA will include a demo/beta key for the new Ratchet online mode/game. Or maybe THE ultimate museum.

I'd like to just say I hated the endboss of the first game. Drek was not only hard but just a test of endurance of how long one could hold down the fire button. Maybe it would have been easy with the Ryno but that game required too many bolts to acquire it. I remember grinding the same hoverboard race over and over for bolts but after awhile I just gave up due to boredom. The later games were much more balanced in terms of weapon grinding and upgrading.

The first one had the best story though, followed by Crack in Time (although CiT had the best finale). An update to the original's controls would be nice of course, but there's still a charming simplicity to that game. No way they could ignore it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Different voice actor if I recall?

Yep. Mikey Kelley in the first game vs. James Arnold Taylor in all the others.

Yeah, it was nice to see Ratchet with flaws (getting wrapped up with revenge, selfish motives) and overcoming them. These days he's a bit too perfect, as are most protagonists I guess. Makes it kind of dull.

Yeah. These days he's very much the generic hero archetype. I love him, but he's lacking personality for the most part.

Agent X

Gold Member
Yeah, it was nice to see Ratchet with flaws (getting wrapped up with revenge, selfish motives) and overcoming them. These days he's a bit too perfect, as are most protagonists I guess. Makes it kind of dull.

I agree. I liked the character development of Ratchet in the first game. He certainly didn't start off as your basic cookie-cutter hero.

semiconscious

Gold Member
+ James Stevenson on March 15th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

May to Fall isn’t necessarily 5 months. Date is TBD.

Again, the reason for this will be more clear when we reveal another component to the 10th Anniversary Celebration

can't think of what this might be other than a vita port :) ...

Hmm IG says stay tune when ask about Deadlocked
http://twitter.com/#!/insomniacgames

Kinda OT but i really love that one song from Crack In Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnUAOCZ1PYo&list=FLfvybiOT_s7QKUgp6trrkQA&index=12&feature=plpp_video

I'm guessing Deadlocked will get a PS2 Classics release and they'll include a download code with US pre-orders. Everyone else will just have to buy it at full price.

I'd like to believe they're finally getting around to patching R1, ToD and QfB with trophies but it'll never happen. Insomniac don't care.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm guessing Deadlocked will get a PS2 Classics release and they'll include a download code with US pre-orders. Everyone else will just have to buy it at full price.

I'd like to believe they're finally getting around to patching R1, ToD and QfB with trophies but it'll never happen. Insomniac don't care.

I thought jstevenson already shot down the deadlocked rumors on the ps blog article about this?

I mean it would be really nice don't get me wrong.

No HD Collection has contained more than three games. We haven't forgotten about Deadlocked

"Oh, I love the sound of that, don't you Juanita?"

"Don't touch me, Dallas..."

I was hoping this was Peaceful Village, and it was! It sounds like some late 90s Rareware hub world, all fluffy and nostalgia-tinged. It's great.

I thought jstevenson already shot down the deadlocked rumors on the ps blog article about this?

I mean it would be really nice don't get me wrong.

No, if anything he just says that they excluded it because all the other HD Collections have 2-3 games in them. Nothing was said about a separate release and I imagine a PS2 Classics release would be pretty cheap compared to a full port like the others.

Also, I hadn't realised until now that they'd come up with a new excuse for the lack of trophy patches for their old games. Before it was that they were too busy to do them but now they're not technically possible. An excuse I imagine.

Loudninja

No HD Collection has contained more than three games. We haven't forgotten about Deadlocked

"Oh, I love the sound of that, don't you Juanita?"

"Don't touch me, Dallas..."

I was hoping this was Peaceful Village, and it was! It sounds like some late 90s Rareware hub world, all fluffy and nostalgia-tinged. It's great.
Yes it is so awesome.

In terms of how I rate the series:

R&C: Best introduction/personality of Ratchet
R&C2: Favorite story/twist at the end and favorite weapons
R&C3: Funniest and best Quark characterization
Deadlocked: Fun, but not my favorite anything. :p

I just got a PS3 and just started playing All 4 One and Tools of Destruction...so I don't really have an opinion on those yet.

I still need to buy A Crack in Time.

RPGCrazied

Wow, everyone is doing these, yet we can't get a Kingdom Hearts collection. Fuck you Square!

I do like this series though, I'll pick it up.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
No, if anything he just says that they excluded it because all the other HD Collections have 2-3 games in them. Nothing was said about a separate release and I imagine a PS2 Classics release would be pretty cheap compared to a full port like the others.

Also, I hadn't realised until now that they'd come up with a new excuse for the lack of trophy patches for their old games. Before it was that they were too busy to do them but now they're not technically possible. An excuse I imagine.

it's technically possible for Resistance, it isn't technically possible for Tools of Destruction, but that was a more sensitive piece of info closer to its release (and one I myself didn't know for a while).

Not sure on Q4B.

In any happenstance, we didn't have time, testing, or support to do it for any of those three, much less it being impossible for TOD.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
In terms of how I rate the series:

R&C: Best introduction/personality of Ratchet
R&C2: Favorite story/twist at the end and favorite weapons
R&C3: Funniest and best Quark characterization
Deadlocked: Fun, but not my favorite anything. :p

I just got a PS3 and just started playing All 4 One and Tools of Destruction...so I don't really have an opinion on those yet.

I still need to buy A Crack in Time.

The weirdest thing about RC1 now is how Ratchet is a lot more of a jerk and isn't voiced by James Arnold Taylor, oh and the controls / lack of weapon leveling. It's been strange playing bits and pieces of that.

RC2 / 3 are just flat out awesome though, and the return of MP is amazeballs.

Loudninja

Well this come out in 2 weeks for EU.

I would like to see pics an a video js.

I am pretty sure the preorder bonus for US is Deadlocked.

GatorBait

You know, I have played a lot of highly regarded PS2 games, but I have not played the Ratchet and Clank or Sly Cooper games. Anyone want to convince me to play either of them?

Loudninja

SCEA/E are working on videos. Little swamped here to generate assets for them, unfortunately
Well ok than.

I shall wait. :p
You know, I have played a lot of highly regarded PS2 games, but I have not played the Ratchet and Clank or Sly Cooper games. Anyone want to convince me to play either of them?
For Ratchet&Clank if you like funny platforming games with very crazy weapons you should give it a try.

Derrick01

Banned

You should definitely play the Ratchet collection when it comes out. Great games.

Sly is a much simpler and easier set of games than Ratchet and Jak. I hated 2 and 3 but 1 was a solid game.

Toppot

Ratchet and Clank will take you back to a time when games were really fun. It has awesome and silly weapons and it pretty much universally loved by GAF. Hours and hours of replayablity for new game + runs, lots of collectables and skill points (Achievements) lots of unlockables and cheats (Like big head mode) Beautifully crafted worlds. With the HD collection you will be getting a lot of bang for your buck and more fun than Jak and Daxter games (Which are awesome to and you should play if you haven't already)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Well ok than.

I shall wait. :p

For Ratchet&Clank if you like funny platforming games with very crazy weapons you should give it a try.

yeah, I have a build of the collection too, so in theory it wouldn't be hard, we just are crushed on other stuff right now.

oh well.

Well, the price is going to be aces for three games that won GOTY awards and were all around 90 metacritic. Plus there is MP in Up Your Arsenal. Plus there are three sets of trophies.

Pretty good deal for three games that hold up pretty well

Carl

Well, the price is going to be aces for three games that won GOTY awards and were all around 90 metacritic.

Even better when certain websites accidently put them on sale for £15 :D

Can't wait for the HD collection to come out. Been so long since i've played the original Ratchet, can't wait to dive back into it again. No doubt it will seem different after playing all of the sequels, though. Still, it's my second or third favourite of the series. I remember the first time i got the gold morph-o-ray, and proceeded to laugh my head off for about 10 minutes

krae_man

The weirdest thing about RC1 now is how Ratchet is a lot more of a jerk and isn't voiced by James Arnold Taylor, oh and the controls / lack of weapon leveling. It's been strange playing bits and pieces of that.

RC2 / 3 are just flat out awesome though, and the return of MP is amazeballs.

So it's just like All 4 One? :p

Seriously though, yeah Ratchet is a bit of a jerk in the beginning.

SykoTech

The PS2 Ratchet & Clanks are excellent, Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal in particular. Unique, upgradeable weapons. Excellent humor, characters, and writing. Great platforming. Definitely buy the R&C collection.

Sly Cooper is a bit hit and miss. Amazing platforming, but the mini-games can be annoying, especially with Sly's friends. It's worth a shot though.

Carl

So it's just like All 4 One? :p

Seriously though, yeah Ratchet is a bit of a jerk in the beginning.

That's what is so great though! Him being a total wanker at the beginning, and then the ending :) Shows a lot of character development for both Ratchet and Clank

The PS2 Ratchet & Clanks are excellent, Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal in particular. Unique, upgradeable weapons. Excellent humor, characters, and writing. Great platforming. Definitely buy the R&C collection.

Sly Cooper is a bit hit and miss. Amazing platforming, but the mini-games can be annoying, especially with Sly's friends. It's worth a shot though.

I am really enjoying Sly (I know, I am late to the Party) I feel it is pretty awesome. I am still playing the 1st one though.

Carl

I am really enjoying Sly (I know, I am late to the Party) I feel it is pretty awesome. I am still playing the 1st one though.

Sly is great, but i still prefer Ratchet and Clank. More humour, better enemy variation, better platforming, cool weapons. Just much more my kind of game.

haha, SCEA just sent me a video to review, so footage IS coming!

Nice one. In the near future?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I want this on Vita.

Chopper

RVZJ3.jpg
:)

TripOpt55

Really excited for this. Hope the US wait is for good reason! This would be perfect for me right now with nothing else to play.

Top Bottom