• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff Bleszinski shares the direction he wanted to take the Locust after Gears 3

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
E8jWO86.jpg

dumb reply. i was talking narratively. there is no logical continuation of the story as it was written through 3.
Dumb response. I was well aware of what you meant by that. The point is, companies will find excuses and ways to continue something for the sake of generating more interest and money. Developers and publishers can always find an excuse to continue a plotline.

Look at God of War it was a soft Reboot but is still considered as God of War 4 because because the game references a ton of stuff from the original Trilogy. And they have yet to explain how Kratos went from Greek to Norse pantheon and how he even lived after destroying Olympus by "suiciding* my point exactly.

Same shit with Gears 4 and 5 as the new Trilogy.

Stop living in the fantasy land of where developers or the publishers give a fuck about you or your opinions on whether something should continue or not. If it makes bank, if will continue to be made. Nintendo is still making Zelda and Mario games lol and there is nothing wrong with that and fans still like it.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Dumb response. I was well aware of what you meant by that. The point is, companies will find excuses and ways to continue something for the sake of generating more interest and money. Developers and publishers can always find an excuse to continue a plotline.

Look at God of War it was a soft Reboot but is still considered as God of War 4 because because the game references a ton of stuff from the original Trilogy. And they have yet to explain how Kratos went from Greek to Norse pantheon and how he even lived after destroying Olympus by "suiciding* my point exactly.

Stop living in the fantasy land of where developers or the publishers give a fuck about you or your opinions on whether something should continue or not. If it makes bank, if will continue to be made. Nintendo is still making Zelda and Mario games lol and there is nothing wrong with that and fans still like it.

Stop living in the fantasy land... even though this is a work of fiction.

GTFO, you know what they meant.

Also shit comparison with Mario and Zelda, since none of them are even connected plot wise.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I'll edit my comment to not seem reactionary. These images in my opinion seem like a natural evolution of the original trilogy instead of what we got with 4 & 5. The trajectory of the Gears franchise reminds me very much with what happened to Halo when the main talent made their exit, they simply don't seem to know what to do.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Definitely better than what we got with Gears 4/5.
I liked Gears 5 but I agree. The new enemies were pretty boring in Gears 4, especially the robots

I never liked the aesthetics of the new enemies either, their blood color always looked funny to me

Last edited:

Goalus

Not feeling it.
My vision for the future of Gears is humans and locust/swarm becoming friends and working together against a new threat.

the problem is that with Gears 3, you had a definite, absolute destruction/eradication of the Locust horde AND destruction of all imulsion.

There is no reason whatsoever that the story should have continued from that point in any way, shape or form.
They thought out a very good explanation on why the locust survived. And of course there is a reason to continue the story - for all those people who love the characters and the universe and want to see them evolve. If you don't care, play something else. I don't watch Marvel movies for the same reason.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned

When you can't wrap your head around what someone is saying it's usually better to remain silent than to double down on you miscomprehension and write a novel about how much you don't get it.

Neolombax

I'm honestly not feeling it, the designs look really generic honestly. But I do like the octopus and shark hybrid though.

Thebonehead

Banned
the problem is that with Gears 3, you had a definite, absolute destruction/eradication of the Locust horde AND destruction of all imulsion.

There is no reason whatsoever that the story should have continued from that point in any way, shape or form.

It was all a dream ...

Thebonehead

Banned
Anything would be better than robot enemies we got in Gears of War 4.

Absolutely awful weren't they. It became a real slog to finish it, In fact it took gears 5 before I could summon the energy to return and complete 4.

I'd see some cover ahead and dread the moment I knew was near of the Robots being dropped off. Rinse .. Repeat

Ozriel

M$FT
So just adding wings to the Locust and making underwater sections? Not sure that would have radically transformed the game.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Nah! The wings don't work at all. And how would Gears be played underwater? That said, anything would've been better than the 4 and 5 we got.

Last edited:

The Skull

Gears 4 and 5 are a lot better than you guys pretend.
Care to elaborate? I've played since the OG and everything from character design, enemy design, gameplay mechanics and world interactivity has taken a step down in the sequels.

splattered

I hope of there is another gears entry where they get off planet and find new enemies.... I started to type shit out but then thought wait a minute this sounds like outriders lmao

Bragr

Banned
Care to elaborate? I've played since the OG and everything from character design, enemy design, gameplay mechanics and world interactivity has taken a step down in the sequels.
Character & enemy design and gameplay are not far removed from the old ones.

The problem with Gears started in Gears 3, there is a point where we just played too much of the same gameplay, they need to make it feel fresh again. The new ones didn't do that but they still offer the same tactical cover-based gameplay just as well as the old ones.

AJUMP23

It seems like the locust suddenly become demons and devils. That makes Marcus a fighter in the Lords army.

Living underground he should have made them all mole heads.

Keep Going Go On GIF by SWR Kindernetz

Last edited:
Top Bottom