• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Climate Change Trumped - FIGHT BACK OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the opposite of an expert, but it really seems like 10 years from now China is going to be so far ahead of us on clean, green technology that we'll have to license tech from them.

yup trump solidified this

China is gonna get fucked with CC and since they have less politicial resistance will lead the way

samn

I'd really recommend doing transit as much as possible instead of relying 100% on a car, even electric cars. There's a lot more to car-linked emissions than just gas.

Car storage (parking, both home, work, and everywhere else) and overbuilt roads take up a gargantuan amount of space that could be used for denser living, which is the best thing for reducing emissions. You've got massive infrastructure development & maintenance costs (pouring concrete, laying tarmac, etc) that have their own emissions. Manufacturing emissions just for making more cars. Plus depending on your electricity grid running a car via electricity might mean more coal burned, which is even worse than gasoline.

Even if you want to have a car for occasional use, just moving a good chunk of your driving over to transit helps all of those.

Cars are probably one of the worst inventions ever created, even putting emissions aside. They have completely gutted the life out of many spaces that were once liveable.

Ac30

Started monthly donations to both NRDC and Sierra Club - It's all I can do from here, so let's hope they can stop that delusional tangerine.

TopDreg

Kinda hoping that Trump does away with the Clean Air Act. That way lawyers can sue the the coal and oil companies for nuisance like it's the asbestos era again.

mike6467

Several people in my neighborhood are trying to get a group together to discuss this stuff and see what impact we can have at a local level. They posted a very respectful gathering/informative notice on Nextdoor (basically a neighborhood version of Facebook with required address confirmation, for those who aren't familiar with it.)

I'm excited to get involved, but the backlash and vitriol that has resulted is depressing. The vast majority of responses have been letting everyone know what they think, and what they think of the people starting the group. All of it is incredibly hostile and completely dismissive of any information that isn't from their sketchy, fringe websites. People suck.

Pomerlaw

Isn't the bolded just marketing?

Agreed, the evidence of organic being better for the environnement & health is weak right now. Removed.

Several people in my neighborhood are trying to get a group together to discuss this stuff and see what impact we can have at a local level. They posted a very respectful gathering/informative notice on Nextdoor (basically a neighborhood version of Facebook with required address confirmation, for those who aren't familiar with it.)

I'm excited to get involved, but the backlash and vitriol that has resulted is depressing. The vast majority of responses have been letting everyone know what they think, and what they think of the people starting the group. All of it is incredibly hostile and completely dismissive of any information that isn't from their sketchy, fringe websites. People suck.

I know man, sometimes it hurts the soul. But remember, this is nothing new. Think about what scientists with new ideas had to face back then with the Church (just an example)...

**ADDED TO OP**
  • More on the seaweed/cow farts story (including Q&A)
  • Ecosia : The search engine that plants trees

Great thread!

If you can, please seriously consider going vegan. It's one of the most effective way an individual can make an impact. My fiancé and I have been vegan for awhile now, and we've really been enjoying it. You'll have to rely on cooking your own meals more, but it's really not as bad as you'd expect. We still eat Pizza, we still eat Macaroni and Cheese, we still make dishes like Orange Chicken and Mongolian Beef. We just cook it ourselves, and use meatless and dairy-free alternatives, and it all tastes fucking delicious!

Madness

Go vegetarian. Cutting all meat out of your diet is the #1 way an individual can make an impact.

Even if you cannot go vegetarian. The best option is to go from 4 feet to 2 feet to no feet in terms of meat. Cut down on all beef, pork etc. Stick to chicken and turkey and fish. Then cut down on that and stick with fish. Then you cut out all fish eventually as well.

Ac30

I'm confused, why are people upset that you're trying to keep the planet clean, regardless of whether or not climate change is real? Shit makes no sense

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm confused, why are people upset that you're trying to keep the planet clean, regardless of whether or not climate change is real? Shit makes no sense

"Every aspect of my lifestyle contributes to negative consequences for the entire world and every future generation? That makes me uncomfortable! Chinesehoax.info says you're wrong. Fuck you and your inconvenient truths."

sasliquid

Just a reminder if people feel hopeless that fighting climate change isn't a win or lose scenario. It will get worse but we always have the power to make it better than it could be and we will fight with that.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Is there any small cheap solar panels that have an ac plug outlet?

Because i would like to start charging my mobile appliances like 3ds and other things

Wollan

Whenever I live in a larger city-core I skip owning a car. Current plans however involve moving back to a small town in 2018/2019 so I'm more dependent on transport.

With that in mind I just reserved a Tesla Model 3.
They state on the web-page that I should expect delivery 'mid-2018 if not later'. Some trusted blogger/follower states that he expects a production delay based on current events so I'm expecting delivery in 2019. There's a second reason for ordering it now with that in mind: No tax on electrical cars in Norway before at least 2020 (with likely gradually climbing tax after that, normal cars have 25%).

Shadybiz

My wife and I only eat beef like twice per year, when we go to her favorite steakhouse for her birthday and our anniversary.

We drive our (4 cylinder) cars until the wheels fall off, instead of getting new cars every 4 years, like many people do.

We are very light consumers...we purchase very few "wants."

We will likely get solar panels within a few years. The house we're about to purchase is positioned fairly well for them, and we're probably gonna be here for like 30 years anyway (or until western NJ is underwater).

And we're not having kids. Not because of climate change; really just a choice, but it helps.

Also fuck Trump.

Whenever I live in a larger city-core I skip owning a car. Current plans however involve moving back to a small town in 2018/2019 so I'm more dependent on transport.

With that in mind I just reserved a Tesla Model 3.
They state on the web-page that I should expect delivery 'mid-2018 if not later'. Some trusted blogger/follower states that he expects a production delay based on current events so I'm expecting delivery in 2019. There's a second reason for ordering it now with that in mind: No tax on electrical cars in Norway before at least 2020 (with likely gradually climbing tax after that, normal cars have 25%).

If the town you're moving to doesn't have great transit but is bike friendly, they can be pretty great for covering medium distances. I do most of my groceries and local stuff by bike when the weather makes sense (like not winter), and lots of people commute by bike.

i'm gonna donate monthly to both foundations... i can't really spend that much since i'm still a student and don't have a lot of money, but i guess every dollar counts, right?

probably gonna do 5 for ea.

Wollan

If the town you're moving to doesn't have great transit but is bike friendly, they can be pretty great for covering medium distances. I do most of my groceries and local stuff by bike when the weather makes sense (like not winter), and lots of people commute by bike.
Likely we will have a couple of toddlers within a few years and the family is within a 40km radius of that spot so pretty dependent on a car (and for the lifestyle that I want which I admit is very technology focused).

Other moves we are doing & planning: Cutting down on meat (a few days a week, I think three minimum), our own little garden/farm patch, going purely digital for movies & games, Tesla solar-roof & 2x batteries, keeping up with recycling, re-using grocery bags, maybe a brick/concrete house to minimize maintenance (but will have to research). And voting politically with green in mind.

Please don't switch from beef to chicken. You'll reduce your carbon footprint a little but you'll contribute to way more animal suffering. You'll end up harming far more creatures for the same number of calories, and the conditions chickens are kept in are among the worst.

Plant-based alternatives are more humane and much more environmentally-friendly.

Dirca

Hunting your own is also great. Wild boar, deer, turkey...nothing like doing it all yourself. Just don't be wasteful or over hunt. You can't survive year round, but it's a great way to supplement without relying fully on the meat industry

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
We are here for so, so short. Let's just try not wrecking everything.

Pomerlaw

EPA Boss : Room for hope on Climate Change :

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/02/politics/sutter-gina-mccarthy-climate/index.html

Those laws -- including the Paris Agreement, the international treaty to slow warming, and the Clean Power Plan, which aimed to limit pollution from coal power -- may not matter as much as you think, McCarthy said, since markets already are heading toward wind and solar and away from dirtier energy.
"I don't think that anyone could think that getting rid of the (Clean Power Plan) or not joining the Paris Agreement (the US already joined it, actually, as have 114 others) is somehow going to change anything in the US," she said. "Investments are set. Five times as much investment in clean energy as there is in the rest of the economy."
"The private sector is demanding it, businesses are demanding it," she added.
"I think 2.5 million people depend on it for their jobs."

dramatis

Some 'fun' for you guys.

Trump Team’s Memo Hints at Broad Shake-Up of U.S. Energy Policy
Advisers to President-elect Donald Trump are developing plans to reshape Energy Department programs, help keep aging nuclear plants online and identify staff who played a role in promoting President Barack Obama’s climate agenda.

The transition team has asked the agency to list employees and contractors who attended United Nations climate meetings, along with those who helped develop the Obama administration’s social cost of carbon metrics, used to estimate and justify the climate benefits of new rules. The advisers are also seeking information on agency loan programs, research activities and the basis for its statistics, according to a five-page internal document circulated by the Energy Department on Wednesday. The document lays out 65 questions from the Trump transition team, sources within the agency said.

On the campaign trail, Trump promised to eliminate government waste, rescind "job-killing" regulations and cancel the Paris climate accord in which nearly 200 countries pledged to slash greenhouse gas emissions. Trump, though, hasn’t detailed specific plans for federal agencies. The document obtained by Bloomberg offers clues on where his administration may be headed on energy policy, based on the nature of questions involving the agency’s research agenda, nuclear program and national labs.
Article goes into detail about the questions that Trump's team are asking and what it would mean in terms of energy policy. Subjects included incubators, social cost, and nuclear plants.

Some 'fun' for you guys.

Trump Team’s Memo Hints at Broad Shake-Up of U.S. Energy Policy

Article goes into detail about the questions that Trump's team are asking and what it would mean in terms of energy policy. Subjects included incubators, social cost, and nuclear plants.

The only possible hope is that we jump on the advanced nuclear train. That would actually be the most viable replacement for fossil-fuel-based baseload power in the short to medium term.

Pomerlaw

The only possible hope is that we jump on the advanced nuclear train. That would actually be the most viable replacement for fossil-fuel-based baseload power in the short to medium term.

Check this out :

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/technology-news/crazy-genius/

A guy from Quebec! Proud!

His company, General Fusion, just got another 12 millions grant this year :

http://www.bctechnology.com/news/20...Sustainable-Development-Technology-Canada.cfm

You can see his Ted Talk here : http://www.ted.com/talks/michel_lab..._hammer_strikes_could_generate_nuclear_fusion

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Go vegetarian. Cutting all meat out of your diet is the #1 way an individual can make an impact.

Not really.

d41b62de94.png

Note that diary has massive swings. Cheese is 20+, while milk is around 4, and it heavily depends on cow or non-cow milk.

The first thing to cut is beef \ lamb and hard cheese\butter. The second is out of season fruit\veggies that are either hothoused or shipped across oceans. Everything else is ignorable residual.

Pomerlaw

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/electric-bus-demo

The Société de transport de Montréal showed off a model of an electric bus it will start testing on the streets of Montreal in the fall of 2016.
The STM will run three fully electric buses on bus route No. 36-Monk with charging stations at each of the line’s terminuses: the Angrignon métro station and the Square Victoria métro station.

The rapid charging stations will charge the batteries of the buses in only six minutes to give them enough juice to complete the 30-kilometre route.

Nova Bus, a division of Volvo Group, will provide the buses for the STM.

The test period will last three years.

The rapid charging stations will charge the batteries of the buses in only six minutes

wow

Jasup

Also consider the bigger picture and act on a more local level and take the social aspects in consideration. Green is not only what you do, but what the others do too

Nature: Expand the frontiers of urban sustainability

From the revitalization of city parks to urban bicycle-sharing programmes, urban sustainability interventions tend to be conceived, implemented and evaluated one municipality or neighbourhood at a time. Yet urban environmental processes occur on much larger scales. Projects that benefit one district may have negative impacts next door.

One example is environmental gentrification. As districts become greener, they become more desirable and expensive. The premiums placed on neighbourhood amenities — such as walkability, public transport and the proximity of parks, farmers' markets and 'greenways' such as hiking trails and bike paths — by residents who can afford to pursue them raise the cost of living.

[...]

In Europe, the German city of Freiburg has been internationally recognized for its achievements in renewable energy, public transport, participatory planning and pedestrianized, energy-efficient districts. As the metropolitan region has become more desirable and expensive, more of its workforce has turned to the cheaper suburbs for housing. The city has grown more socially homogenous, while beyond its boundaries commuting has skyrocketed, as have the associated carbon emissions. Greening has come at the expense of community stability and racial and economic diversity, and has undermined regional environmental goals.

Think about consumption. It's easy for us to lament on China's rising CO2 output figures, but we conveniently forget our part in the process. We live in a global economy.
Post-industrial cities highlight their sustainability triumphs in terms of building density, extensive public-transport networks and the presence of knowledge-intensive, high-tech firms, all of which drive down locally produced pollution and carbon emissions. But even high-tech workplaces depend on polluting activities elsewhere. Computers and smartphones produce growing global flows of electronic waste that concentrate their toxic by-products — such as the trace amounts of beryllium and mercury in mobile phones — in poor communities in the developing world. Guiyu in China used to be a small rice-growing village, but was transformed in the 1990s into the world's largest processing zone for electronic waste. Local water rapidly became undrinkable.

Even information in 'the cloud' has an environmental impact. Data centres account for 2% of global greenhouse-gas emissions; their power usage is expected to triple in the next decade. And much financial and high-tech activity consists of coordinating resource extraction and manufacturing activities that have moved to other parts of the globe. Apple designs its iPhones in California, but 84% of the embodied carbon emissions of the phones come from their production in China, South Korea and other countries, mostly in Asia.
Advocating for public housing and mass transit.
And grass-roots groups bring about change from the bottom up. Community-based organizations, city-wide non-profit organizations and ad hoc social movements shape cities' built environment and lifestyle. But these groups are often overlooked in discussions about sustainability policy because most of them do not frame their work in environmental terms. They are more likely to speak of a broader 'right to the city'. Advocates for affordable housing and mass transit are proposing exactly the types of intervention that shrink individuals' carbon footprints and improve community resilience. But they are rarely seen as prospective allies by green policymakers.

I recently made Ecosia my default browser. They use 80% of their ad revenue towards planting trees. Every search you make is one planted tree, and it even keeps track of every tree your searches have helped plant. They also display their donation receipts and business reports on their site.

https://www.ecosia.org/
https://info.ecosia.org/what
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo93M_6Xl50
Thanks, I'm gonna share this with some friends.
And secretly install it on my parents pc!

Pomerlaw

India's double first in climate battle

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38391034

Here's how it works:
The plant operates a coal-fired boiler to make steam for its chemical operations.
CO2 emissions from the boiler's chimney are stripped out by a fine mist of a new patented chemical.
A stream of CO2 is fed into the chemicals plant as an ingredient for baking soda and other compounds with many uses, including the manufacturing of glass, detergents and sweeteners.

I know this was posted over a month ago, but I forgot to reply. This is seriously why I'm hopeful for the future. In the next 4-8 years, we're going to massively lose in terms of clean energy on a political level, but, we'll win this war on the economic level. Coal is already rapidly falling out of favor economically and some day even natural gas and other fossil fuels will fall by the way side as solar and wind continue to drop in price. We will drag energy Luddites into the future kicking and screaming not through new laws, but through sheer economic efficiency.

And, in the mean time, threads like this are a great effort towards making positive changes on an individual level.

Pomerlaw

I know this was posted over a month ago, but I forgot to reply. This is seriously why I'm hopeful for the future. In the next 4-8 years, we're going to massively lose in terms of clean energy on a political level, but, we'll win this war on the economic level. Coal is already rapidly falling out of favor economically and some day even natural gas and other fossil fuels will fall by the way side as solar and wind continue to drop in price. We will drag energy Luddites into the future kicking and screaming not through new laws, but through sheer economic efficiency.

And, in the mean time, threads like this are a great effort towards making positive changes on an individual level.

Great post man, everyone can do its part to drive the market to cleaner energy. Everytime you pay, you vote!

The local shop have LEDs on sale, 3 for 7 bucks. Made the switch now every light in my home is LED. I keep my heat down to 17 C (64 F) and have completely cut beef and pork from my diet. Shop locally, and don't buy out of season veggies when I can (it's cold up here in Canada).

This thread inspired me to make these changes and I feel like I am making a large impact already because my family members are starting to follow suit. Thanks folks. I can't do much from here but every bit helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom