• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clinton campaign backs intelligence briefing for electors before Dec 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
Nice, but not hopeful any electors from Republican-won states are going to change their minds or votes. Still insane that Trump only won by 80k votes over three states to push him past 270. That narrow of a margin is what is fucked by all of this. The fake news, the Russian influence, the whole damn election.

Landslide my ass. Trump got through by the thin skin of his teeth, some kids looking to make a buck on idiocy, and Trump's bff.

guek

Banned
I feel if they do so, they lose the 27% of Americans that voted for him and risk widespread outrage. I think they'll let him get in and then provide the ammunition for the Democrats to push for impeachment. That way, in the eyes of Trump voters, the Dems take the fall for fucking him over and they get a right wing President who is a lot easier to influence than a deranged orange madman. We may even see a day where the Dems fight against Trumps impeachment, an organised hard right GOP will be a lot harder to deal with than the fractured fuckup of a Government that Trump will lead.

It's a lose-lose situation for everyone, sadly. The path of least resistance is just accepting Trump for 4 years but it's definitely not the best scenario. The GOP will never willingly hurt themselves, even if it would be for the greater good.

pigeon

Banned
Assuming the aim is to have the electoral college change their votes - if somewhat successful, but not successful enough to keep trump out - this validates circumventing the democratic process. Over 4 years, it would be easily possible for a president, especially one with control of the entire legislature, to stack the electoral colleges with his own cronies. Then it doesn't matter who the people vote for in the election, you have the presidency guaranteed, you just need to 'trump' up some conspiracy against the opposition.

Since Trump already advocated for canceling the election and giving himself the presidency before he won the election, I am unconvinced that this sets any meaningful precedent that would change the odds of him seizing power undemocratically.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
There is no link to Trump working with Russia. It's not his fault Podesta was using gmail, clicked on a phishing attempt and had his email "hacked".

Nice, but not hopeful any electors from Republican-won states are going to change their minds or votes. Still insane that Trump only won by 80k votes over three states to push him past 270. That narrow of a margin is what is fucked by all of this. The fake news, the Russian influence, the whole damn election.

Landslide my ass. Trump got through by the thin skin of his teeth, some kids looking to make a buck on idiocy, and Trump's bff.

It really does show the importance of voting, though

JORMBO

Darkness no more
He has no business in russia?

There is no link to Trump working directly with the Russian government for this election. I am not sure why Podesta is saying the electors should not vote in the person who won the election.

Lots of people do business in Russia.

rokkerkory

There is no link to Trump working directly with the Russian government for this election. I am not sure why Podesta is saying the electors should not vote in the person who won the election.

Lots of people do business in Russia.

Do lots of President elects do biz Russia? Do they also have an affinity for putin?

Virtually every media network and website were behind Hillary. Every Hollywood, music, and entertainment celebrity were behind Hillary. A number of GOP establishment politicians supported her in the #NeverTrump movement. The current president and every single living former president publicly supported her. Nearly every foreign leader supported her. Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE, and many other countries donated millions to her campaign. She outspent Donald Trump 2:1, spending over 1.3 billion raised money plus billions more in SuperPAC money. Every wall street firm and bank and healthcare corporation donated and supported her. Every newspaper in the country endorsed Hillary over Trump except for one, a paper owned by a republican billionaire (LVRJ).

Everyone was fairly certain Hillary was going to cake walk to victory the days before the election, including members of Trump's team, every network, every newspaper site, every political pundit. Statements like "Republicans may never again elect a president due to changing demographics in the country" were thrown around by pundits. Everyone was talking about how crazy Trump would act after he lost, if he would accept the results or contest them, and how Trump supporters would foment violence and civil war after he lost.

and she still lost. Its absolutely insane with how in the tank the entire establishment was for Hillary, and she still lost.

Allforce

I am reading people theorizing/hoping for Republican electors to cast their vote for someone else in the states that Trump won in the hopes nobody receiving a 270 majority and pushing the decision to Congress. And then Congress must choose between the top 3 candidates who received electoral votes.

Wouldn't the ultimate nuclear option here be for Democrat electors in the states Hilary won defect and choose a new candidate? Are they bound to select a Democrat if they were to all decide to cast for someone else? Or could they cast their vote for a moderate Republican and force Congress to decide between what would then be a choice between Clinton, Trump, and Option 3?

I'm sure there's some clause here that disallows this but boy would it be interesting.

Edit: Now that I think about it my theory is idiotic lol. You need Red states to take away EC votes from Trump first before anything happens.

Neoweee

I am reading people theorizing/hoping for Republican electors to cast their vote for someone else in the states that Trump won in the hopes nobody receiving a 270 majority and pushing the decision to Congress. And then Congress must choose between the top 3 candidates who received electoral votes.

Wouldn't the ultimate nuclear option here be for Democrat electors in the states Hilary won defect and choose a new candidate? Are they bound to select a Democrat if they were to all decide to cast for someone else? Or could they cast their vote for a moderate Republican and force Congress to decide between what would then be a choice between Clinton, Trump, and Option 3?

I'm sure there's some clause here that disallows this but boy would it be interesting.

That would backfire. It would probably end up Hillary, Trump, Dem Other, and Trump would win in the House easily.

pgtl_10

Russia must have also hacked Hillary Clinton scheduling app into not visiting Wisconsin a single time in the campaign. Or had her focus on Arizona in the last week of the election instead of Penn and Michigan.

If the EV cannot make a choice -- and lets be honest here THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN at this point democrats who believe it are literally believing in magic -- then the new 2017 house of representatives will choose the President and VP, and they will stick with Trump and Pence.

Don't you know? Russia is being blamed for Democrats' imcompetence, Brexit, and the far right's resurgence because neoliberalism keeps failing.

Blader

Don't you know? Russia is being blamed for Democrats' imcompetence, Brexit, and the far right's resurgence because neoliberalism keeps failing.

But... Russia IS a major backer of far-right populist parties across Europe (UKIP, National Front, etc.) and they WERE behind the Democratic email hacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom