• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNET: Outsourcing your 'Warcraft' skills

Lo-Volt

CNET said:
According to an estimate from a company called Power-levels.com, it would take someone starting from scratch 768 hours to reach the highest level you can hit in World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade.

Or, for someone who had already topped out at level 60 in the original WoW, it would take 384 hours to get to the top level, 70, of Burning Crusade.

That's a lot of hours, and if you're one of the many people with limited time who still wants to play online games like WoW at the highest levels, Power-levels.com and a growing number of competitors may have just the solution. That is, if you're OK with breaking the rules, as well as what some say is the spirit of the games.

These game consultants sell what are known as power-leveling services. Essentially, that means that for a fee, they will take over your account in any one of a large number of online games and put in the work required to get you where you want to be.

That level 70 Burning Crusade power-up costs $556. The jump from level 60 to 70: $239.

For some time, high-level wannabes have been able to go to places like eBay to purchase entire accounts from retiring players. In doing so, they acquire special weapons, armor, tools or spells with the aim of getting to a place in a game beyond what they could do without help.

But in the wake of eBay's decision to delist all auctions for the assets of online games, some may be wondering where else they can turn. The power-leveling companies think they have the answer.

"They give us their character name, their password and they tell us which level they want us to reach for them," said Flora Chen, manager of Guy4Game, a power-leveling company based in Canada that also has operations in China, Korea, Japan and Mexico. "Some just want to reach levels as fast as possible, so they say to (play for them) 24 hours a day."

Outfits like Guy4Game, Power-levels.com, Power-level.net and GmLvl.com say they're pulling in serious business. For example, GmLvl.com says on its Web site that it employs more than 2,000 people solely for the purpose of helping clients get where they want to be. By comparison, Guy4Game's has a staff of 150 full-time workers.

Chen said Guy4Game has a client list of more than 100,000 customers, though there is no way to verify that number.

There's no telling how many power-leveling companies exist: online searches using various terms easily produce dozens. But that such an industry exists--for dozens of online games--is noteworthy, particularly because publishers of online games like World of Warcraft, EverQuest and City of Heroes don't allow their players to engage in such behavior.

"Sony Online is aware that it happens, and we do not condone it," said Courtney Simmons, head of public relations for EverQuest II publisher Sony Online Entertainment.
"It is against our terms of service...You (cannot) give anyone else access to (your) account."

Blizzard Entertainment, publisher of WoW, takes the same position as Sony Online.

"Making use of a power-leveling service," Blizzard said in an e-mail statement Monday, "is a violation of our account-sharing policy. This policy is discussed in World of Warcraft's terms of use, which players agree to prior to playing."

Blizzard added that because customers paying power-leveling services give over full access to their accounts, there is no way to prove that the services perpetrated any fraud (if a customer has such a complaint) while those accounts were in use.

Fraud or no fraud, if a customer wants to jump to level 70 of Burning Crusade and have a flying mount and a high riding score, but doesn't have the time to achieve such a goal, he can have someone else do it for him.

Chen said Guy4Game's clients ask for all kinds of things. Some want to rise to their desired level as fast as possible. Others want steady progress, but still want to be able to play when they want. So they ask to have access to their own accounts for certain hours of the day. The rest of the time, Guy4Game is in charge.

Similarly, some players demand to deal with power-leveling service representatives who speak English, or Japanese, or Korean. That's why Guy4Game has employees in those countries, Chen said.

In the eyes of regular players, however, those who utilize power-leveling services aren't sticking to the spirit of the games.

"Using a service to level a character is pretty universally regarded as a 'lamer' move," said Eric Haller, a San Francisco investor and long-time WoW player. "You will definitely not earn anyone's respect if they know you have paid for your levels."

In fact, Haller said he thinks the general perception of people who use power-leveling services, as well as those who buy well-stocked characters or advanced weaponry off of eBay or other secondary markets is that they are unfairly cutting corners.

"I think it is perceived as a form of cheating," Haller said. "Not necessarily in the sense of breaking the rules, but more in the sense of being a somewhat weak player who is unable to use (their) skills to acquire things. (It's) sort of like it is confusing to me why someone would pay $50 for a game and then $20 for a guide to walk them through it. Isn't the fun in the play?"

To Simmons, the problem behind power leveling has to do more with logistics than with fun. That, she said, is because Sony Online Entertainment gets customer service complaints all the time from players who have had their accounts stolen or compromised after using power-leveling services. Sony won't ban players who get caught using contractors, but they're on their own with customer service problems.

But Sony has little sympathy for such customers.

"Players are responsible for the security of their own accounts," Simmons said.
"And players that use those types of services are at risk of having their accounts stolen or compromised." http://news.com.com/2102-1043_3-6156479.html?tag=st.util.print

A search did not reveal this article previously in the time of posting on CNET. If incorrect, apologies.

Zaptruder

Banned
The grind does not require talent. The grind simply is.

That said, Blizzard should meet this type of demand half way; if a player has at least one character at level 60, then they should be able to pay for a new character that is around level 40. Similarly if they've hit level 70, then they should be able to pay for a level 60 character... maybe 20-50 bucks depending on the level.

It'll still give the player a bit of time to come to grips with the class, as it's not a max level character, but it'll take away the grind for new characters of players that have already experienced the rest of the game.

mollipen

Zaptruder said:
That said, Blizzard should meet this type of demand half way; if a player has at least one character at level 60, then they should be able to pay for a new character that is around level 40. Similarly if they've hit level 70, then they should be able to pay for a level 60 character... maybe 20-50 bucks depending on the level.

I'd like something where you could siphon experience from one character to another. I started a Dranei hunter with the coming of BC, and then at level 20 decided that I really didn't like the way I had made my character, appearance wise. So, I've restarted the character, and I wish I didn't have to go through all of the exact same stuff I just went through.

Or, you know, Blizzard could give you some GOD DAMN OPTIONS FOR CHANGING THE APPEARANCE OF YOUR CHARACTER. It's funny that I came from a game that MMORPG people make fun of - Phantasy Star Online - yet that game was far beyond WoW in this regard.

Of course, it doesn't help Blizzard out to do things like this. They want you to spend as much time as possible with the game, so giving players the option to purchare or give XP to a new character makes no financial sense to them.

Also, if you ever pay for levels in an MMORPG, unless youv'e played the game to death and want a new character for a very specific reason, you're a moron, plain and simple. That's like finding a girlfriend and then paying somebody to have sex with her, because you can't be bothered.

brocke

Banned
a lot of people play these games because friends of theirs have been playing it. it's not unreasonable for them to get a character powerleveled so they can begin playing with their friends sooner. especially in world of warcraft, where getting to level 70 is only 10% of the effort (since most is based off what equipment you have).

anyways, i think the burdon is on the gaming company's to change the gameplay mechanics so that this "pay ppl for currency/powerleveling" market doesn't exist.

brocke

Banned
shidoshi said:
That's like finding a girlfriend and then paying somebody to have sex with her, because you can't be bothered.

however, your girlfriend isn't going to turn into an ultra hot babe after the 100,000th time you've had sex with her.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Zaptruder said:
The grind does not require talent. The grind simply is.

It'll still give the player a bit of time to come to grips with the class, as it's not a max level character, but it'll take away the grind for new characters of players that have already experienced the rest of the game.

From what I remember, Dark Age of Camelot did something like this, but for free. If you had a high level character, you could start a new one at level 20-ish I believe. There used to be a small army of DAoC players on GAF, if any of them are still around, maybe they can confirm this.

brocke

Banned
Btw, i was just thinking about something. Ever notice how the people who started at launch and did nothing but craft and are now the highest crafters in the game (applies to most mmorpgs)? those are one group of players you can't easily buy yourself into.

mollipen

brocke said:
however, your girlfriend isn't going to turn into an ultra hot babe after the 100,000th time you've had sex with her.

And WoW doesn't become magically fun once you hit 70. The fun is in getting to 70, and the experience that that entails. If you're playing WoW just for endgame, then you're missing out on most of the good stuff, so far as I'm concerned.

brocke

Banned
shidoshi said:
And WoW doesn't become magically fun once you hit 70. The fun is in getting to 70, and the experience that that entails. If you're playing WoW just for endgame, then you're missing out on most of the good stuff, so far as I'm concerned.

most people derive pleasure solely from the endgame, and hate the grind to get up to it.

mollipen

brocke said:
most people derive pleasure solely from the endgame, and hate the grind to get up to it.

Some people derive pleasure solely from having a kid, and hate the grind to get up to that point. They're both equally missing out on the main fun of the experience.

And if it is true that most people simply want the endgame, then I'll proudly stand up and say that I'm not one of those people. You couldn't pay me enough to do endgame runs with most of the people who play WoW. Not to mention, I play WoW to have fun and enjoy playing a game, not to have a second job.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'd say if it wasn't for the experience of running through the Deadmines the first time, I would not have played WOW as long as I did. Probably one of the most memorable experiences ever in gaming. If I had paid one of these jerkoffs, I never would have gotten to see that.

Anyone investing that kind of money for someone to play a game for them needs to end themselves...
Anyone playing any one game for 800 hours period, needs to end themselves...
Pathetic.

Ad from this page:

69439224zu0.jpg

Kuroyume

Banned
These games are so stupid. :lol

I was addicted to the original PSO, but I would never pay anyone to do shit for me.

WoWs endgame is a bag of ass imo

HAY LETS RUN the same Dungeon for 3 months so we can run the next level dungeon for 3 months to get gear to run the next (content added) dungeon for 3 months!

tbc helped some, but really when I hit 70 ill either quit or level some alts.

etiolate

Banned
Cnet have some balls! Power Levelrs exist because the gmae is long and tedous. Cal that bitch out! And if plvling is skill, so is eating yourself fat.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Mr Nash said:
From what I remember, Dark Age of Camelot did something like this, but for free. If you had a high level character, you could start a new one at level 20-ish I believe. There used to be a small army of DAoC players on GAF, if any of them are still around, maybe they can confirm this.

That was a huge mistake, it ruined low level exping, new people to the game were left with no one to play with as level 1-20 was a ghostland, not best way to try gain new subscribers.

I think even Mythic acknowledged it was a huge mistake.

Subitai

I don't know if there is anything that can be done.

People end up liking the game less because they never learned what their new abilities are really for.

Then they go whine in the forums that their class is weak in pvp.

I don't really worry about it because those people usually don't play for very long, so they aren't messing up the game for the rest of us for long.

Bleh. I thought the whole point of WoW was part of experiencing the world as you grow stronger, not endless raids on Naxxramas. (Instances? Can never remember all those terms.)

Dina

ZombieSupaStar said:
WoWs endgame is a bag of ass imo

HAY LETS RUN the same Dungeon for 3 months so we can run the next level dungeon for 3 months to get gear to run the next (content added) dungeon for 3 months!

tbc helped some, but really when I hit 70 ill either quit or level some alts.

I did. Burned out from endgame till 60, I lvled my ass to 70 only to be stuck with the same instances again. I actually cleared most of the 5-man instances the first 2-3 weeks of release, only to be doing Karazahn again.

I sold my character not much after. Yeah it's illegal but I actually gained something before started my 40-hour job (big part of the reason why I quit anyway).

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i like starting new characters. it's fun to manage everything like money and bag space at the low levels and to slowly make a decent amount of gold out of nothing.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Although I can understand people who don't enjoy the grinding, makes me wonder why they even started playing the game in the first place.
I find the whole concept sbizarre, people don't even want to play the game anymore, they just want to show off their e-penis which they don't even deserve to have in the first place?

I don't think its all about the end game raiding crap with these kinds of poer level services. If you are really into the game, you start making Alts. Most people who love the game have the stamina to take their first character to 70, and then perhaps a second. Its very few people who could do this for four, fix, or six characters.

However, you want a change of pace by playing a different class... the problem is, that all of your friends you are playing with, are all level 70 and doing their thing. You just want to playyour new class with them. This is a serious time investment... one that most players just dont have it in them to make the fifth time around. So thats where the power level service comes into play. Its viewed as the fastest way to bring that new class up, so you can get back to playing with your friends. It's not for people who are on their first trip through the game, as that would be utterly pointless. Not to mention you arrive at 70 and have NO idea how to play your class, and can't function properly in a group. Same with people who bought their accounts from ebay...

That being said, you would have to be INSANE to pay out $400 while playing a video game. That's just way to much money.

firex

Truth be told, I've wondered if there's any kind of profit that could be pulled by paying for some highly wanted class to be power leveled to 70, then turning around and selling that account to another player.

I don't think you really need power leveling in WoW, but if you're going to play the game you do need like 2-3 free hours a night, minimum.

f@luS

More than a member.
One time i used to buy just 100 Gold for my mount when i played wow @guy4game.

Well.

I received a christmas giftcard from them , it should cost as much as the 100gold i bought (from canada to EU, a beautiful card :eek:)

theyre cool !

Top Bottom