• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[CNN.com] Last gen console reports cards are here!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
TheDuce22 said:
I agree with the scores but a modded Xbox brings it up to an A for me. Its like a classic videogame jukebox.

I agree, but it shouldn't count. No problem here with the ratings, seems fairly obvious in a big picture sense.

mollipen

The Abominable Snowman said:
no... no it didn't...

The N64 was one of the worst systems I've ever owned. The system's classic "smudge up the graphics so that we can say they look better" tradition made every game on it look ten times worse than anything the PSX or Saturn ever had, the controllers were an abomination, and software actually worth owning was few and far between. I think I ended up owning six N64 games, and one of those was given to me for free.

People have different opinions, and that's fine. For me, the N64 was a total piece of junk, and was one of the reasons it took me so long to pick up a GameCube.

terrene said:
Something about amateur manga art really makes me wish I was dead.

It was the best GameCube-tan pic I could find at a moment's notice. *shrugs*

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
if you give a console a passing grade just for showing up, other lazy consoles will think they can get away with slacking! the 'F' is there for a reason -- use it!

Amir0x

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Can't say I agree with that GC score. It was right behind the PS2 in terms of best exclusive content.

does 'right behind' mean across the galaxy? Just wondering, since GC isn't even in the same galaxy in terms of exclusives! Hell, it might not even be in the same universe.

Anyway, I would have given Gamecube a C... not no D. Gamecube has a lot of quality titles and you don't have to look too hard for 'em - Pikmin 2, F-Zero GX, Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime: Echoes, Viewtiful Joe, Ikaruga, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Paper Mario, Fire Emblem: Path of Raddiance, Chibi Robo, soon Zelda: TP and for some people Baten Kaitos, Mario Kart: Double Dash, the Mario Sports titles and Tales of Symphonia - so it's not exactly a cripple. These are some great ****ing games, some the best from the generation... so I think it definitely put its best face forward. It tried despite a total lack of developer confidence. And it was a huge ****ing improvement over N64.

So I think a "C" is more accurate.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Amir0x said:
does 'right behind' mean across the galaxy? Just wondering, since GC isn't even in the same galaxy in terms of exclusives! Hell, it might not even be in the same universe.

Anyway, I would have given Gamecube a C... not no D. Gamecube has a lot of quality titles and you don't have to look too hard for 'em - Pikmin 2, F-Zero GX, Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime: Echoes, Viewtiful Joe, Ikaruga, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Paper Mario, Fire Emblem: Path of Raddiance, Chibi Robo, soon Zelda: TP and for some people Baten Kaitos, Mario Kart: Double Dash, the Mario Sports titles and Tales of Symphonia - so it's not exactly a cripple. These are some great ****ing games, some the best from the generation... so I think it definitely put its best face forward. It tried despite a total lack of developer confidence. And it was a huge ****ing improvement over N64.

So I think a "C" is more accurate.

Agreed, honestly I think aside from the Halo series and Ninja Gaiden, Xbox didn't quite have the exclusives that GC had... but for multiplatform games, Xbox was the obvious winner and there's no understating what its HD and XBL brought to the table.

But yeah, with the exception of a few games (Sin and Punishment especially), I felt very alienated by the N64 and its utter lack of RPGs, shooters, fighting games... and felt that my tastes were vastly more covered by the PSX and even the Saturn... Cube definitely improved in the diversity of the software... and I expect Wii to do both better than N64 and Cube in terms of SW diversity.

Top Bottom