• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[CNN] Trump's Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein: No Need for Special Prosecutor

Syriel

It's good to hear that the person who supposedly wanted Comey removed (but not really because Trump), (but really because Trump), (ah, who the hell knows because even Spicy can't keep the lies straight), thinks everything is fine and there is no risk to the investigation or any possible conflict of interest.

It's all good, yo.

The deputy attorney general also believes that there's nothing he has seen at this point that would require him to recuse himself from the role overseeing the probe led by Boente, the people familiar with his thinking say. Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who was involved in firing Comey, recused himself from any role in the investigation in early March.

A Justice Department spokeswoman declined comment.

Rosenstein, on the job for just more than two weeks after a 94-6 Senate confirmation vote, has drawn criticism because the White House initially pinned the firing of Comey on Rosenstein, saying he had penned a memo expressing concern about the way Comey had handled the Hillary Clinton email investigation.

The White House later changed its story of how the firing came about, with the President saying in an NBC interview that he planned to fire Comey no matter what Rosenstein and Sessions said.

In an interview with CNN on Friday, Warner would not say if he has confidence in Rosenstein to oversee the Russia investigation -- and he had a blunt warning to Rosenstein if he does not appoint a special prosecutor.

"If he doesn't do that, then I think it's going to be very difficult to solicit a lot of support from Democrats ... in terms of whoever the President picks to be a permanent FBI director," Warner said.

Source:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/12/politics/rosenstein-special-prosecutor-russia-investigation/index.html

Basically:

giphy.gif

Davide

I mean, obviously it would be better to have it and resistance to it is questionable, but I've been following every detail of this for months and I feel that the FBI and Senate committee will be able to do their job fine without a special prosecutor. Am I crazy?

sangreal

I mean, obviously it would be better to have it and resistance to it is questionable, but I've been following every detail of this for months and I feel that the FBI and Senate committee will be able to do their job fine without a special prosecutor. Am I crazy?

Yes you're crazy. Trump is open about trying to quash the "fake" investigation and about intimidating the people involved where he can. He can't control the Senate investigation but the GOP will never let it get too close to Trump so it doesn't matter. They'll send Page and Manafort to jail and call it a day. Granted I don't think Trump would be implicated anyway but the fact that the whole thing is compromised demands an independent investigator. Reagan, HW and Clinton managed to deal with it and so should Trump. Especially when the AG has blatantly violated his pledge to recuse himself

Oh, and most importantly it's clear that Trump is going to name a political loyalist to head the bureau for the first time. Pre-trump the most political the position got was Comey donating to Romney and McCain against Obama (who appointed him anyway)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
This so much. He was just thrown under the bus by the administration so they could fire Comey, that should be ringing alarm bells in his fucking mind.

Comey asked for more resources the week before he was fired and the Senate committee has zero staff dedicated to it full time.

At the meeting with the senators, Mr. Comey said he had made the request because he believed the Justice Department had not dedicated enough resources to the investigation, a fact partly stemming from the unusual situation under which the inquiry was being run. Until two weeks ago, when Mr. Rosenstein took over as deputy attorney general, the investigation was being overseen by Dana Boente, who was acting as the deputy and had limited power.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/us/politics/comey-russia-investigation-fbi.html

Part of the reason why the committee has not acted more swiftly is because of its current structure. The Senate Intelligence Committee is typically an oversight panel, not an investigative one. It is set up more to review than to actively probe.

“The biggest obstacle now for a serious investigation into Trump-Russia ties is dedicated resources for staffing,” said a source with ties to the committee. “Serious consideration is being given to getting outside resources, as is customary in many large Capitol Hill investigations. Serious work requires serious investigative skills and resources, which wouldn’t naturally be resident in a committee like Senate Intel.”

The committee previously announced that seven staffers had been assigned to review classified documents related to the Russia investigation. These are the majority and minority staff directors, joined by three Republican aides and two Democratic aides.

“We have devoted seven professional staff positions to this investigation. These are staffers who already had the clearance,” Burr said on March 29.
Of the seven staffers so far assigned to review classified documents related to the Russia investigation, none of them has prosecutorial or investigative experience, according to three sources with ties to the committee.

Most of them lack a background in Russia expertise. Not one of the seven is a lawyer.

“I don’t see how you can do this without trained investigators and prosecutors. I think you need to have expertise on the intel side and on the prosecution side. You would ideally need someone who knows how to do a counterintelligence operation,” said Scott Horton, an attorney who has focused on anti-corruption investigations, with a specialization in the Soviet Union and post-Soviet states.

The investigation already faces a series of obstacles that have heavy requirements on time: the classification of documents, the location of documents at various agencies, and an incredible volume of material.

But of the seven staffers, none has been assigned full-time to the work of the Russia probe, according to four sources with ties to the committee. Every one of the seven staffers has other oversight responsibilities, and thus a dual-hatted role that prevents them from focusing singularly on the investigation.

Of the seven, two are the staff directors of the committee—an enormously demanding job even in the calmest of circumstances, which limits their involvement. One of the seven even attends law school part-time.

“To do a serious investigation would require not less than a dozen full-time staffers… [with] counterintelligence, prosecutorial skills to do it, and people who have a very good sense of the forensic accounting world of Russia and Europe. Without that sort of expertise, you’re not going to get anywhere,” Horton said. “I don’t think they’re deploying the resources that are necessary to do a real investigation.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...probe-has-no-full-time-staff-no-key-witnesses

devilhawk

Let's put aside whether there should be a special prosecutor for a second and look at this from Rosenstein's perspective.

People are actually suggesting the guy publicly declares "I'm incapable of doing my own job."

sangreal

Let's put aside whether there should be a special prosecutor for a second and look at this from Rosenstein's perspective.

People are actually suggesting the guy publicly declares "I'm incapable of doing my own job."

Not really. It's publicly declaring he has a conflict of interest. How many did Reno name? Rosenstein testified during his confirmation that he would do it if necessary. Sessions, his boss and a potential target of the investigation, breaking his recusal is reason enough to do it. Rosenstein himself was appointed by Trump only a few weeks ago and Trump has since made clear he will fire anyone who digs too deep. The conflict is obvious

Balphon

To be fair, he also reaffirmed DOJ's commitment to allow the FBI to investigate free of (further) political interference.

Regardless, Rosenstein has already given everyone cause to distrust anything he says. I'm not going to wait around for him to suddenly prove his integrity.

Volimar

Fuck you Rod.

I need a time machine to go talk to the founding fathers about the effectiveness, of lack thereof, of our system of checks and balances.

The Senate seems to making some moves, but at the same time, every time there has been a public hearing all you hear from the GOP Senates is shit about the Muslim Ban or Unmasking or leaks or just about anything besides Russia. Hell, at the Yates one last week every GOP member, outside Graham (who had to be there for the hearing to continue), fucking left.

Of course, in fairness, Yates neutered about half of them, so...

Syriel

Sessions "recusal" seems suspicious as well. Recommends firing the FBI director and is interviewing replacements.

Yeah, you're either recused or you're not. Saying "I'm not going to be involved" and then saying that the guy heading the investigation should be fired are two actions that are at conflict with one another.

RPGCrazied

I guess he drank the kool aid. But what to watch really is who Trump appoints to head the FBI. If its Rudy, Gowdy, then we can really start to panic.

BigDug13

What if instead of resigning, he stayed on so he can be the one to nail Trump?

You must have been watching Fox News when they were the only ones claiming he resigned instead of what really happened where he found out he was fired when it flashed on a TV news screen while he was in a meeting.

There was no chance that this was happening anyway. The investigations will continue for the time being, there's no guarantee that there won't be any major revelations in the meantime

He didn't resign. Trump fired Comey because Comey wouldn't drop the Russia investigation.

And now, one of the people on Trump's short list for Comey's replacement is John Cornyn.

You must have been watching Fox News when they were the only ones claiming he resigned instead of what really happened where he found out he was fired when it flashed on a TV news screen while he was in a meeting.

You do understand he wasn't talking about Comey, right?

Every other thread on this board we have people shouting down others, telling them to be patient and to trust the process. Yet not here. A bit hypocritical.

Top Bottom