• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: US prepares charges to seek arrest of Julian Assange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/20/politics/julian-assange-wikileaks-us-charges/index.html

CNN said:
US authorities have prepared charges to seek the arrest of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, US officials familiar with the matter tell CNN.

The Justice Department investigation of Assange and WikiLeaks dates to at least 2010, when the site first gained wide attention for posting thousands of files stolen by the former US Army intelligence analyst now known as Chelsea Manning.

Prosecutors have struggled with whether the First Amendment precluded the prosecution of Assange, but now believe they have found a way to move forward.

Mimosa97

Thought him and wikileaks were working for Russia by helping the Trump campaign ?

I guess he must have some serious shit on Trump if they're moving on him like this.

collige

Banned
I hate both Assange and Wikileaks, but this
Prosecutors have struggled with whether the First Amendment precluded the prosecution of Assange, but now believe they have found a way to move forward.
Really doesn't sound all that good.

Cipherr

Outlived your usefulness to Republicans then? I thought they loved Wiki since it went on that bullshit streak to help them during the elections.

Kite

Thought him and wikileaks were working for Russia by helping the Trump campaign ?

I guess he must have some serious shit on Trump if they're moving on him like this.
It's less helping Trump and more about destabilizing and weakening America.

sephi22

Sounds like virtue signalling or whatever.
"Look guys I wasn't in cahoots with Russia/wikileaks. If I was would I do this?"

jorma

is now taking requests
Lots of crow to eat for the crowd who called him delusional because he feared this.

Unfortunate that the US doesn't value free speech as much as they claim they do.

Nivash

Oh FFS. Why? Never mind that I would really like to see the legal reasoning behind this, any decision to attempt prosecution will just ensure that Assange will never leave his hole in the embassy. This will torpedo any hope we could ever have had that Assange would eventually stand trial for the real charges he's facing in Sweden and the U.K.

So where does Hannity go from here, after a previous 180 on Assange, from Enemy of the State to hero, now back to Enemy of the State?

Not that I doubt Conservative fascists like Hannity or Trump voters care about the hypocrisy, but we have a lot of recent video of Hannity tongue-bathing Assange's taint that will no doubt be getting a lot of airtime.

Lots of crow to eat for the crowd who called him delusional because he feared this.

Unfortunate that the US doesn't value free speech as much as they claim they do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Assange isn't a US citizen to my knowledge. He doesn't get protections under the Constitution. He's an enemy of the state.

Ridisc

Banned
You can charge him but can you remove him from the Embassy? The answer is no, and will make it less likely he ever comes out.

Hey Assange GET FUCKED BOI

I was about shitpost that CNN deadnamed Chelsea and I looked up and they used their real name

E: GG CNN I mean I still hate your guts and I hate almost all of your news anchors (except Anderson Cooper and Jake Tapper <3) are moldy piles of shit, but at least you follow AP Guidelines, which is one of few things going for you right now.

Jenov

But trump said he loved wikileaks!

lol. Yeah, he's never coming out of his little hidey hole room in the Ecuadorian embassy anyways.

Boke1879

First off he isn't a US Citizen.

But I don't think we need to be the one arresting him. This fuck has shit he's actually wanted for. That's the whole reason he's chillin in and Embassy in the first place.

Kyzer

Banned
So is this a good thing or a bad thing? I'm reading mixed reactions to the news.

Wikileaks is basically a russian tool now, so good. They are treating it as a hostile intelligence agency, which it is. Wikileaks already squandered any benefit of the doubt they might have had since inception.

Sounds fair to me, though I'm unsure how much the DoJ head and his foreign agent pals have to do with this. Of course, Mr. "I Love Wikileaks" will have never heard of Assange or Wikileaks.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Oh FFS. Why? Never mind that I would really like to see the legal reasoning behind this, any decision to attempt prosecution will just ensure that Assange will never leave his hole in the embassy. This will torpedo any hope we could ever have had that Assange would eventually stand trial for the real charges he's facing in Sweden and the U.K.

Pretty much. Assange has been hiding out in that embassy under the pretext that the US is totes gonna for realz any day now charge him therefore he has to avoid answering to Swedish sexual assault charges because Sweden is just a puppet of the US.

Now he gets to be all high and mighty.

Chumley

Banned
So is this a good thing or a bad thing? I'm reading mixed reactions to the news.

It makes no sense coming from Trump, unless he's an idiot who thinks doing things like this and striking Syria will kill any of the smoke around him. It won't, the FBI doesn't care, and now he's opened himself up to Assange going rogue. Not to mention further alienating his base that worshipped Assange.

jorma

is now taking requests
Pretty much. Assange has been hiding out in that embassy under the pretext that the US is totes gonna for realz any day now charge him therefore he has to avoid answering to Swedish sexual assault charges because Sweden is just a puppet of the US.

Now he gets to be all high and mighty.

That's an interesting way to say "he was right all along".

oh only US citizens has free speech now? Well that sucks for me.
Free speech doesn't mean what y'all think it means.

It means you cannot be arrested, for your words being critical of government.

Assange is leaking international secrets and spreading sedition.

Totally different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom