• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cobra Kai (The story continues)

Dunki

Ok i am currently watching Cobra Kai a Youtube RED Series and so far (7 episodes in) its really good.

In the highly-anticipated return of two iconic characters, the arch-rivals from the legendary Karate Kid film series reunite over 30 years after the events of the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament. Now living in the affluent hills of Encino, Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio) leads an enviable life with his beautiful family, while running a successful string of car dealerships throughout the valley. Meanwhile, his high school adversary, Johnny Lawrence (William Zabka), whose life has taken a rocky turn, seeks redemption by reopening the infamous Cobra Kai karate dojo. Their lives inevitably become intertwined and the rivalry is reignited, setting forth the next generation of "karate kids" in COBRA KAI, a YouTube Red Original Series. COBRA KAI is produced by Overbrook Entertainment in association with Sony Pictures Television.

I really love the atmopshere, flashbacks and the new roles of both Daniel and Johnny. They even play a bit with PC culture mentality If you like KArate Kid you should check it out.

The first 2 Episodes are currently free on Youtube and the rest is available via YouTube Red or the Google Play Store. Biggest downside with Google is that each ep (30 min) is 2.99 Euro or Dollar but I really enjoyed it so far.

dolabla

I watched 6 episodes last night and it is amazing. I was saving the rest for tonight. I've always had a special attachment to the Karate Kid movies. I'm not one to get emotional during a movie/tv show,
but it really hits home when he visited Mr. Miyagi's grave and when they showed pictures of him and of course that in memory of ending

Netflix has put some of their original shows on blu-ray, so I can only hope it will happen with this, if it's popular enough. I saw a trailer for it in a movie theater the other day, and it did look pretty good.

Dunki

Netflix has put some of their original shows on blu-ray, so I can only hope it will happen with this, if it's popular enough. I saw a trailer for it in a movie theater the other day, and it did look pretty good.
It is a YouTube series sadly not netflix. In a Country without Red you have to buy each ep on the google play store. But you can still watch the first 2 eps for free on Youtube if you like it you can sign in for Red (30 days for free) or buy it on the Store^^

Last edited:
It is a YouTube series sadly not netflix. In a Country without Red you have to buy each ep on the google play store. But you can still watch the first 2 eps for free on Youtube if you like it you can sign in for Red (30 days for free) or buy it on the Store^^

Oh, I understand that. I just meant there's precedent for a physical home video release of content that was originally exclusive to a streaming service.

Last edited:

eso76

If you like KArate Kid you should check it out.

I didn't even particularly like the original.
I mean, I did like it of course being 8/9 when it released but it never had a special place in my heart or anything and didn't think of it much growing up besides the occasional Miyagi quotes everyone knows.

But the show is legit, much much better than it had any right to be. The characters are three dimensional enough, the jokes are quite good, the writing is just the perfect mix of cheesy and sharp. Nostalgic but not self indulgent. Contemporary.
It celebrates its origins and at the same time makes fun of them and that particular period.

Tldr: it's good. Watch it.

dolabla

I really hope it does get a DVD/Blu-ray release. I would definitely buy it. My brother signed up for Red all because of this series. He's letting me bum off his account :D.

Ka-Kui

Karate Kid!! My all time favorite movie ever! I can't wait to get started on this. I'm going to make sure to set aside some exclusive time just to watch this comfortably. In fact I might just rewatch the original tonight!

Dunki

Just finished watching it and it was great. The final episode also sets almost perfect in place for a second season I can not wait to watch.
Miguel is set up to becoming a villain. Cobra Kai winning makes sense for a second season and Cobra Kai old guy is back as well for a Cobra Kai Miyagi Dojo feud
I just hope Sam will not become the next good guy finalist. If so she needs a own rivalary and not beating up her former boyfriend.
Also

Saw the first two episodes and it looks great. But I'm not in a country with YouTube Red and the price is a bit steep to me to buy episode by episode. Had it been half the price, I'd have bitten. Or if it had a physical release.

JCK75

binged it all on the first day, loved every second of it.
I'm already a Red Subscriber (if you have kids Youtube kids paired with Red is a godsend) so this was a major perk.

Bryank75

Banned
I watched the first 2 which are free. 2.50 for each episode after that, which I will pay because its great but wish we had other options like the US has.

Dunki

I watched the first 2 which are free. 2.50 for each episode after that, which I will pay because its great but wish we had other options like the US has.
Yeah it is a bit steep for 30 min each episode but as you said it was still worth it for me. Only downer. Now I have to wait for season 2...

I watched the two freebie episodes on youtube too and thought they were pretty good. It seems Johnny isnt the "good guy", but Daniel isnt so perfect either.

OH-MyCar

I don't know if I'm entirely feeling it it because I genuinely appreciate the dumb earnestness of the originals (well, at least 1 & 2), but William Zabka is awesome. It's made me sad that he's not been in a lot more.

thequestion

Wow. I've only seen the 2 free episodes, but this is really, really good. Only downside is it's on youtube red.... How did this not get picked up by one of the real streaming sites? This show is bursting at the seams with quality. Good acting. Good soundtrack. Good script. I can't wait to see it all.

Last edited:

Alfadawg

Banned
I watched a few interviews around this.

They pitched it to Google first and they ordered a full series right away and said they wanted this to be their house or cards.

They did pitch it everywhere else as well, everyone wanted it but they went with Google. They were basically allowed to do whatever they wanted.

Hopefully series 2 comes soon. The cliffhanger was OP!

Blam

I watched a few interviews around this.

They pitched it to Google first and they ordered a full series right away and said they wanted this to be their house or cards.

They did pitch it everywhere else as well, everyone wanted it but they went with Google. They were basically allowed to do whatever they wanted.

Hopefully series 2 comes soon. The cliffhanger was OP!
Damn sounds like a good grab on Googles part.

TTOOLL

Episode 9

That bromance was cool af. I love this show!!
What kind of man doesn't like speedwagon?

kunonabi

This easily the best karate kid material since part II. Super likable cast, respects the original stuff while moving the characters forward in believable ways and updating for the times. The new kids are all great with a ton of interesting story/character potential.

After that godawful remake this was just a genuine pleasure.

gioGAF

Saw episodes 1 and 2 and really liked it based on that. Hopefully this comes out on disc later on so I can watch the rest, not about to subscribe to yet another streaming service.

Dunki

Saw episodes 1 and 2 and really liked it based on that. Hopefully this comes out on disc later on so I can watch the rest, not about to subscribe to yet another streaming service.
You could test it for 30 days and cancel after you watched it.

cr0w

Old Member
Season 2 is officially a go, coming next year.

This was one of the biggest surprises of the year for me so far...as a MASSIVE fan of the original, I can't really find anything to complain about with it. It was damn near perfectly done.

Dunki

Season 2 is officially a go, coming next year.

This was one of the biggest surprises of the year for me so far...as a MASSIVE fan of the original, I can't really find anything to complain about with it. It was damn near perfectly done.

This was pretty fast. Can not wait for Season 2.

Holy shit that was really good. Finished Episode 5 saving rest for later.

That is how you do a reboot of a franchise. Love the many shades of grey the characters have. Daniel is bit of dick.

I love how Johnny is an asshole with a bully mentality. And how he seems to be stuck in the 80s. Yet, he is so likeable. All characters are.
I'm really enjoying this series and i'll be sad when it's over.
Good to know we will have a season 2 but i hope they don't stretch the series thin. You gotta know when to stop.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I watched the whole season in a day, and I loved it. I'm kinda sad that Miguel ended up being the bad guy at the end. I was cheering for him the whole time.

Bryank75

Banned
I love how Johnny is an asshole with a bully mentality. And how he seems to be stuck in the 80s. Yet, he is so likeable. All characters are.
I'm really enjoying this series and i'll be sad when it's over.
Good to know we will have a season 2 but i hope they don't stretch the series thin. You gotta know when to stop.

A 5 season box set would be ideal, if they can maintain quality!

Azzurri

Wow, what a good show! Was not expecting that.

Johnny Character is great, they make him so likable and hilarious.

Top Bottom