• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

kuYuri

Looks like I was wrong... no Black Ops map packs on sale this week. It's everything else but Black Ops. :(

I'm sure it will happen closer to MW3's release.

Well, think I'm officially retired from Black Ops. Finally hit Prestige 15, level 50, so there's not much more to accomplish/do anymore. :\ Good bye Black Ops, it's been fun!

Magnus

My buddy, who's a huge CoD fan and knows I'm an avid GAF poster wanted me to post this here for him, for all the BlOps fans to see. His costume this past weekend at FanExpo. Please turn into a meme, as appropriate.

311606_10150938876380001_666900000_20639586_6918631_n.jpg

Figured I might as well ask here:

I just opened Steam and I seem to have 'Black Ops-Multiplayer' ready to be installed. I haven't bought any CoD games on Steam and it says 3 days left next to the name, which I'm assuming means I need to install it in 3 days. Has anyone else gotten this?

domstah

PairOfFilthySocks said:
Figured I might as well ask here:

I just opened Steam and I seem to have 'Black Ops-Multiplayer' ready to be installed. I haven't bought any CoD games on Steam and it says 3 days left next to the name, which I'm assuming means I need to install it in 3 days. Has anyone else gotten this?

Yes you have 3 days left to install it for free - there is a Free Weekend for PC Black Ops to coincide with the C.O.D XP Event.

How can someone playing with ghost perk and suppressor, call themselves a great player. Watched a youtube of a guy who finished a domination match 52-2 using the perk and attachment. I just don't see how he can come to this conclusion.

djm

OG_Original Gamer said:
How can someone playing with ghost perk and suppressor, call themselves a great player. Watched a youtube of a guy who finished a domination match 52-2 using the perk and attachment. I just don't see how he can come to this conclusion.
As someone who enjoys playing stealthy, I feel like I need to respond to this.

First off, I'll agree ghost in Black Ops is not balanced correctly. In previous CODs, you had to give up stopping power. With the removal of SP, the only thing you really give up in BO is flak jacket. However, lumping everyone who uses ghost and suppressors into one big group is irritating to me.

Example: In MW2, my favorite setup was to use a silenced Scar with scavenger/cold blooded/ninja. I would always go where my team wasn't, slowly working behind the enemy team and taking out camping snipers and the like. I rarely ran out of bullets and went on really high killstreaks. It was very exciting.

The only way I'll agree on your point is if the guy you are talking about is a camper. Like setting up a claymore/motion sensor at the only entrance to his area, and not moving out of that area.

djm said:
As someone who enjoys playing stealthy, I feel like I need to respond to this.

First off, I'll agree ghost in Black Ops is not balanced correctly. In previous CODs, you had to give up stopping power. With the removal of SP, the only thing you really give up in BO is flak jacket. However, lumping everyone who uses ghost and suppressors into one big group is irritating to me.

Example: In MW2, my favorite setup was to use a silenced Scar with scavenger/cold blooded/ninja. I would always go where my team wasn't, slowly working behind the enemy team and taking out camping snipers and the like. I rarely ran out of bullets and went on really high killstreaks. It was very exciting.

The only way I'll agree on your point is if the guy you are talking about is a camper. Like setting up a claymore/motion sensor at the only entrance to his area, and not moving out of that area.

Personally, I believe Ghost should only be available to those caring Sniper rifles. I've tried this setup and it felt cheap getting these easy kills. 42-4 is what I had at the end of the match. The guy in the video didn't camp at all, but a large portion of kills came from behind, some just ran past him because he is completely from the radar map. I'm fine with the suppressor, hiding your position when the UAV isn't up, but during the entire match your completely hidden while running the map with a fully automatic assault rifle, just seems cheap.

OG_Original Gamer said:
Personally, I believe Ghost should only be available to those caring Sniper rifles. I've tried this setup and it felt cheap getting these easy kills. 42-4 is what I had at the end of the match. The guy in the video didn't camp at all, but a large portion of kills came from behind, some just ran past him because he is completely from the radar map. I'm fine with the suppressor, hiding your position when the UAV isn't up, but during the entire match your completely hidden while running the map with a fully automatic assault rifle, just seems cheap.

The problem isn't that, it's that the ARs only need 4 hits (3 if they are headshots) to kill an opponent.

Go look up the stats of guns in CoD4. The only silenced assault rifles that did more than 20 base damage at range were the M16, G3, and M14. The M16 was pretty much the only gun in that game that was considered cheap. All the other ARs had sway and even the AK47 was 20 at a distance when using the Silencer or RDS.

Meanwhile they forgot to add in sway to both black ops and MW2, and you have weapons that deal 30 damage at range, are silenced (making the already easy-to-use sights even easier to use) and have little to no recoil.

Of course I am assuming you watched one of the thousands of videos where they are using a silenced Galil/AUG/Famas

Heppell

Banned
How does this game run on a quad core PC as im downloading the free weekend multiplayer offer from steam.

When it came out for PC it wasnt optimized and was bringing quad core PC to there knees, if anyone here has one or knows that its been updated as the PC version wasnt good.

Anyway thanks

Deadbeat

Banned
Game seems to run much better than before so I wouldnt worry. Also I think the famas nerfs are finally in, but the community didnt pay attention so Im winning a lot more close range fights.

Played a bit last night, fun stuff! Thought the purchase system is interesting--any general recommendations on which guns are solid?

I'm still pretty shitty. I was decent in COD4, but can't manage more than a three kill streak. Seems a lot faster, but that's probably me not knowing the maps yet, too.

Hey You

Anyone else actually enjoy using the Enfield?

I started using it last night when I prestiged and I really like it. I usually use my Famas (thats all I would use).

I was playing with my sister (who is suuppper good at this game) and said maybe I'll just use the Enfield from now on and she pretty much face palmed saying it was one of the worst guns in the game :/

Oh well, maybe I'll try the AK 47.

Ryck

Stallion Free said:
Famas/Ak74 U are low level weapons that are phenomenal.
Just use the default class with the Mp5/ Lightweight /Steady Aim and Marathon. That class is godlike if you don't ADS.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Hey You said:
Anyone else actually enjoy using the Enfield?

I hate it. It seems like half the rounds I fire just disappear mid-air. I have the same problem with the Famas.

I remember this one match I used the Enfield and I started out 0-5 because my bullets just didn't seem to have any affect on the people I was shooting even though I was firing first and clearly hitting my target. I just chalked it up to a shitty connection at first. Then I finally get a kill after running behind this asshole for like 30 yards putting a whole clip into his back. I picked up his Commando and proceeded to run off like 15 kills in a row because my bullets actually started to count.

Deadbeat

Banned
Wow some admin on the GSN server was threatening to Ban me for "camping" on nuketown. Too bad I timed out I wanted to make a specific comment to him that would be deemed inappropriate here.

Besides the many other experiences I had in this game I have a question: Why is this community so bad? Its fine in cod 4. Counterstrike has a better community than this. What the fuck happened?

djm

There are jerk admins who enforce silly rules on servers for every game, pretty much. Just blacklist the server and move on.

Brian Fellows said:
I hate it. It seems like half the rounds I fire just disappear mid-air. I have the same problem with the Famas.

I remember this one match I used the Enfield and I started out 0-5 because my bullets just didn't seem to have any affect on the people I was shooting even though I was firing first and clearly hitting my target. I just chalked it up to a shitty connection at first. Then I finally get a kill after running behind this asshole for like 30 yards putting a whole clip into his back. I picked up his Commando and proceeded to run off like 15 kills in a row because my bullets actually started to count.
Yea the enfield is horrible imo. Easily one of the worst guns this game has to offer.

Well, day one of XP down and I didn't even get to play MW3 yet thanks to the ridiculously crazy long lines. But, so far it "looks" good. The new Elite info was interesting (monthly DLC content for premium members, more enhanced Clan options for free). We all got a free Hardened voucher code for MW3, which was nice. And, I played some paintball and got shot in the face twice. Whee.

They had the BLOPS tournaments going on, which was fun. Although, me and my buddies got absolutely destroyed. Didn't help that the losers before us on numerous occasions would jack up the sensitivity and invert the controls when they lost to jack up the team that came after them.

Gonna get there early tomorrow to actually try to play the game I came to this thing for.

Deadbeat

Banned
So what is everyones symbol on their little tag? I tried remaking the scorpion faction one and this is the best I got.
4Vqu.jpg

For weapons, since the commando and ak are identical except for the sliver faster reload and weapon switch of the commando, I went with the ak for the better sights. I want to like the kiparis because it looks cool but its just too gimped compared to anything else really. I usually roll with AK47/Dual mags, Strela 3, Flak Jacket, Sleight of Hand, Tactical Mask, frag, concussion, claymore.

What are some other loads people use?

Kermit The Dog said:
You mustn't have played MW2.
Which version? The p2p version with horrible rates and hacked lobbies getting me to level 70 in one kill, or the other version out there with dedicated servers that have lag free gaming bliss with unique features such as zombie tower defense?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
CoDGAF, I need your help.

I haven't really enjoyed the CoD series since MW1. I'm trying to get back into it but I'm having an incredibly hard time. I can't tell if I'm straight up bad, if people are using cheap tactics, or if everyone is just really fucking good at the game. (I'm willing to bet it's a good bit of the first option).

I just borrowed MW2 from my brother and I cannot consistently get a decent games going. I think it's incredibly hard to get some sort of situational awareness going with the spawns. I'm used to the Battlefield series where I have a good idea of where the enemies are going to be coming from.

The pace of the game confuses me at this point as well. It seems fast paced, but moving around gets me killed more often than not. Moving slower and a bit more "tactically" never really seems to get anything done.

I'm trying very hard to figure out what exactly my problem is but I can't quite pin-point it. I do know that my reaction time is bad, but I think there's more than just that.

djm

It just comes down to experience. I don't know you personally or how you usually fare in online shooters, but coming into MW2 where most of the people have been playing for almost 2 years, you're going to get worked in the beginning. 75% of doing well in CoD is knowing the maps, their hot spots and spawning methods. I think of myself as above average at online FPS games, but I still get my ass handed to me whenever I jump into a new game that's already been out for a good amount of time.

CoD is super fast faced, no question there. I've always played this series as a run-and-gunner, and end up near or at the top of the scoreboard more often than not, so it's definitely viable. However, until you have the map layouts memorized, running around at mach 3 will get you killed at a much higher rate. If you play objective-based modes, try playing defensively and patrolling a zone around the objective.

Oh, and MW2 is THE most chaotic entry in the series to date. Black Ops toned down the air support/missiles/bomb killstreaks a fair amount. If you are constantly dying to things in the sky, be the anti-air guy. Not many people want to do it, and it benefits your team.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Tomat said:
I just borrowed MW2 from my brother and I cannot consistently get a decent games going. I think it's incredibly hard to get some sort of situational awareness going with the spawns. I'm used to the Battlefield series where I have a good idea of where the enemies are going to be coming from.

Pay attention to where your teammates on the mini-map. Where ever the majority of your teammates are the enemies will be spawning and coming from the other direction.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'm looking for some multiplayer games to play locally with friends. Can someone tell me if the PS3 version of this game supports local (off-line) 4 player split-screen? If it does, can you also use bots?

I did it. For the first time ever, I maxed out a Prestige in a Call of Duty game. Hit 15th Prestige level 50 today. And I have considerably less time on this game than MW2.

djm

AnEternalEnigma said:
I did it. For the first time ever, I maxed out a Prestige in a Call of Duty game. Hit 15th Prestige level 50 today. And I have considerably less time on this game than MW2.
Nice. BO was my first time hitting the max rank as well. I did it with like 6 less days played than my MW2 time played so they clearly scaled it back, but it was much more satisfying due to none of the rampant prestige cheating that MW2 had.

The downside is I felt like I beat the game, and haven't played more than a few matches in 3 months.

MadOdorMachine said:
I'm looking for some multiplayer games to play locally with friends. Can someone tell me if the PS3 version of this game supports local (off-line) 4 player split-screen? If it does, can you also use bots?

It does, but it takes such a framerate hit that it's unplayable on PS3.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
AnEternalEnigma said:

Yeah I did it in just under 17 days in Black Ops. I'm at 22 days in MW2 and still not close to the end.

Top Bottom