• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

viveks86

So why did they allow it for PS4 but not Xbox One? I don't get it. I mean, I do understand why some companies would push for this, and why MS wouldn't tell them no (since they want the dev to have a say over their own content).

Is this a case where..perhaps Activision pushed for it on Xbox One and MS didn't object. But maybe they also pushed it on PS4, and Sony said no?

If it's true then that would be my guess. Seems like a foolish thing for Activision to do. After the backlash, this would alienate a lot of potential customers.

hawk2025

What cboat said is pretty much common sense. Games can obviously restrict offline access if they choose, and you can choose to avoid them. The icon being on the ps4 box should note that there will be cases where said icon is not present, meaning it's up the developers.

And we already knew it was possible, of course -- see some Capcom games like Final Fight.

The question has always been whether or not publishers would actually be willing to do it, and how easy the platforms made it for them. At this point, it's up to us to not support software that chooses to adopt online checks, IMO.

Korezo

Hence the icon on the PS4 version.

I still don't understand, why would activision do it for one console but not the other? Surely it would also technically be possible on the PS4? Did Sony pressure Activision into not implementing the feature to avoid a shitstorm?

Wasn't Xbox one a online only console? Activision probably didn't bother to change anything and just left it as it was originally planned to ship. PS4 was never online only.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
But how does this explain that he can't access system settings? Are these 2 different issues?

Maybe in order for a developer to use it they have to use what's already built into the system but is now inactive until turned on rather than turned on all the time. So by activating it, Activision also activated everything that comes with it too.

Zomba13

I like how all it takes is CBOAT to post one purposefully misspelt word for people to go crazy.

This seems really weird. It's either the OS isn't complete (meaning the patch he downloaded wasn't the day 1 patch but a different patch) so the games still need a 24hr check in, the game itself needs to be online (meaning that even though MS 180'd the stupid shit they are letting publishers do it themselves) or the console ban now makes your box a paperweight as opposed to just completely barring you from online but letting you do the usual offline stuff (like play your offline games offline).

Each one is worrying in it's own special way.

N.Domixis

Banned
We can't rely on a banned console to know whats going on. I'll wait until others with unbanned consoles say something, there is no way Microsoft would allow this after the backlash.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You obviously know a decent bit about the PS4, but are you also implying you know something about what's going on here that we are not aware of with the X1?

Nothing more to add right now.

My personal take is what it is. MSFT is just not as prepared for this as they should be. People will learn.

Hopefully when I get one this isn't an issue but who knows.

Oh man, CBOAT. Can't wait to see how this story continues

Having something to share or is this just FUD?

Nothing that I would share with you.

Steel

Banned
What cboat said is pretty much common sense. Games can obviously restrict offline access if they choose, and you can choose to avoid them. The icon being on the ps4 box should note that there will be cases where said icon is not present, meaning it's up the developers.

My guess is this: Remember that thing about party chat being messed up and microsoft putting party chat stuff off to each individual game? It might just be the same for the DRM, that it was implemented in each game. Of course it's just speculation.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
And we already knew it was possible, of course -- see some Capcom games like Final Fight.

The question has always been whether or not publishers would actually be willing to do it, and how easy the platforms made it for them. At this point, it's up to us to not support software that chooses to adopt online checks, IMO.

Yup, good example too. Capcom dabbled with this bullshit and IIRC it was only on the PS3 version of Bionic Commando Rearmed 2. When PSN went down the game was unplayable.

The solution? Don't buy that shit.

stew

I still don't understand, why would activision do it for one console but not the other? Surely it would also technically be possible on the PS4? Did Sony pressure Activision into not implementing the feature to avoid a shitstorm?
Why would Sony pressure Activision and not Microsoft?

You could play a console banned 360 offline, so that excuse doesn't fly.

Besides, isn't it sorta silly paying $500 for a video game console that can't even play games straight out of the box.

That's very true. One os mine got banned and played offline still. I don't see how MS banning an xb1 would cause it to become unable to play offline as well.

Boke1879

Nothing more to add right now.

My personal take is what it is. MSFT is just not as prepared for this as they should be. People will learn.

Hopefully when I get one this isn't an issue but who knows.

Nothing that I would share with you.

God damn. WHAT THE FUCK is going on at MS right now?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I'm not seeing the revelation. I'd already assumed there would be quite a few games next gen that have zero offline functionality, system wide DRM or not.

edit - I'm referring to CBOAT's comment here.

Damn, CBOAT, you just waked up Phil Spencer who's now demanding that all game-by-game stuff be patched day-one.

Also, confirmed for John Lennon.

hawk2025

oh. my. god.

No, I refuse. I will sit here patiently and wait. Goddamnit I will wait.

Same. I'll stick with scenario one (the patch he downloaded just wasn't ready) for now, to give Microsoft and Activision the benefit of the doubt. Surely both are VERY aware of what pulling this would do to their credibility on a LAUNCH game.

viveks86

Maybe in order for a developer to use it they have to use what's already built into the system but is now inactive until turned on rather than turned on all the time. So by activating it, Activision also activated everything that comes with it too.

Whoa. Seems a bit far fetched. Having seen all the drama so far, I wouldn't completely discount it though. :D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
God damn. WHAT THE FUCK is going on at MS right now?

The same situation that's been talked about for a while. It's not some secret but a ton of the rumors do add up. Most of this stuff people know but cboat has said almost all of it in his cryptic posts.

You seem to have more to say, just say it, don't let us hanging.

cboat has been saying this all. I'm not adding any more to it.

Amir0x

Banned
Same. I'll stick with scenario one (the patch he downloaded just wasn't ready) for now, to give Microsoft and Activision the benefit of the doubt. Surely both are VERY aware of what this would do to their credibility on a LAUNCH game.

Yeah, I mean I know Microsoft has been one cock up after another, but this just seems... for a game this major? The perception issue alone would be catastrophic.

I trust crazy buttocks, but him just posting "imagine".... I dunno I'm going to say it's too vague to draw any conclusions from because I cannot believe Microsoft or any company would be that dumb.

ironcreed

Banned
I don't want to get into another shit storm here, but it is quite fucked up that they can stop you from even playing single player games offline. They can just nuke your console and give you a $500 brick. I was under the impression that this was not going to be an issue anymore.

hawk2025

Penello has usually been around here on Sunday nights for the past few months, I'm hoping he'll come in and clarify quickly on what's going on.

Yeah, I mean I know Microsoft has been one cock up after another, but this just seems... for a game this major? The perception issue alone would be catastrophic.

I trust crazy buttocks, but him just posting "imagine".... I dunno I'm going to say it's too vague to draw any conclusions from because I cannot believe Microsoft or any company would be that dumb.

Yup.

And for those saying this is not a revelation -- it is (if, with a large if, Activision actually did this) in the following sense:

- It's the first example of a huge game doing it
- It's right at launch
- It would follow precisely the 24 hour policy, meaning that the DRM infrastructure was kept in the platform to facilitate implementation of software-specific DRM.

I don't get it. Why would publishers have DRM on one major platform and not the others?

What the hell.

Based on everything else wrong with Ghosts. Who knows.

Also why would this thread go 20 pages off the realization that publishers can do whatever they want in regards to online/offline access.

Tsundere

Banned

He doesn't post just to post though, there's always something to take from his rare appearances.

It's entirely possible Sony pressures or mandates publishers to allow offline play if it has an offline mode like SP campaign. Why Activision requires it on the xbone idk, MS better get ahead of this because it is potentially terrible news.

Top Bottom