• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD/MP Hackers- Am I paranoid?

MikeM

As some of you know, I ventured into PC gaming and now have a very decent 5600/7900xt build. I play COD Cold War, MW2 and likely will pickup MW3.

However, its becoming clear that hackers are becoming more prominent in the scene and carry real risks such as exploiting security issues to get complete access to your PC which is not ideal considering the information stored on it.

Given this, I am strongly considering going back to console for MP gaming as the worst that can happen is crashing the game or IP blocking. Question is, am I being paranoid?

Pelta88

As some of you know, I ventured into PC gaming and...

menace2society-you-kno-you-done-fucced-up-right.gif

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I very seldom play MP games on my PC but not because of the hackers you mention but because of straight up cheaters

I know there are hackers on console but not as bad as on PC

The angle you talk about here though is why I never do personal stuff on my gaming PC

The only way people would gain access to your PC is if you download something suspicious imo

Last edited:

CeeJay

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

To be honest, as long as you are full patched and you don't contact people outside of the game then the chance of you getting hacked are miniscule. COD uses dedicated servers right?

Solidus_T

You haven't noticed? While no one can get into your PC from COD online, it is notorious for hackers, especially when you get into the higher Elo ranks.
Playing on console and setting your matchmaking to console only will only save you from so much of it too; you will still run into console players using devices like the Chronus Zen, and other products from them. I would say stick to your PC for COD - you can use your controller and use the wicked aim assist on it while playing 144+fps.

Last edited:

CeeJay

You haven't noticed? COD online is notorious for hackers, especially when you get into the higher Elo ranks.
Playing on console and setting your matchmaking to console only will only save you from so much of it too; you will still run into console players using devices like the Chronus Zen, and other products from them. I would say stick to your PC for COD - you can use your controller and use the wicked aim assist on it while playing 144+fps.
I don't think it's cheaters he's worried about, its them fuckin him up his back doors!

Solidus_T

I don't think it's cheaters he's worried about, its them fuckin him up his back doors!
Yeah no one is doing that from COD online lol. It has happened for other games though! Not long ago, FROM Software games had hackers getting to PCs. They took player invasions to a whole new level. It's been fixed now though

You haven't noticed? While no one can get into your PC from COD online, it is notorious for hackers, especially when you get into the higher Elo ranks.
Back when I was playing Warzone daily I would rather face half the map using Cronus than a single person using wall hacks and that shit. You can easily beat Cronus users under many, many circumstances - you aren't beating someone who can see through walls and literally lock on to your head.

It was bullshit that in order to have cross play on console you had to also matchmake with PC players, but I get that their servers would be empty otherwise.

Aenima

Hackers have more interesting things to do than trying hacking some random computer. PC games are infested with cheaters, but thats usually 3rd party software running on they own machines.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Nobody is getting into your PC via Call of Duty. There's cheaters everywhere, though.

As some of you know, I ventured into PC gaming and now have a very decent 5600/7900xt build. I play COD Cold War, MW2 and likely will pickup MW3.

However, its becoming clear that hackers are becoming more prominent in the scene and carry real risks such as exploiting security issues to get complete access to your PC which is not ideal considering the information stored on it.

Given this, I am strongly considering going back to console for MP gaming as the worst that can happen is crashing the game or IP blocking. Question is, am I being paranoid?
I feel like some form of this fear happens every few years. Nobody can outright tell you that it's gonna be ok. People are crafty and can do shitty things. You probably have nothing to worry about. Stick to official servers and you'll probably be fine. Quit the ones that have obvious cheaters.

Solidus_T

Back when I was playing Warzone daily I would rather face half the map using Cronus than a single person using wall hacks and that shit. You can easily beat Cronus users under many, many circumstances - you aren't beating someone who can see through walls and literally lock on to your head.

It was bullshit that in order to have cross play on console you had to also matchmake with PC players, but I get that their servers would be empty otherwise.
I feel you here. While Chronus effectively can act like a wall hack since it aims at players as soon as they peek corners (even with grenades and throwing knives), wall/aim hacks are just not fun at all - they aren't even really playing the game. I have gotten used to playing against them to the point where, on certain maps, my buddies and I have effective ways of dealing with wallers even though we don't hack, but it is just a pain that we have to even do it in the first place. I play search and destroy and control most often, so I can't really speak to Warzone, which is definitely worse with cheaters.

Ironbunny

"Complete access of your pc because of mw cheaters"

If this is not a joke thread then I am amazed. What are you guys smoking? Just know when an Indian sounding english speaker calls you and tells that they need remote access to your PC because windows was not shutdown correctly or FEDEX package is stuck just hang up..

Sanepar

Cod has cross play if u turn off u will play with a really small base so doesn't matter if u play on console or pc.

MikeM

Is there any case of people stealing information through online games?

Here’s some examples for reference after a quick search.

Last edited:

Griffon

"Complete access of your pc because of mw cheaters"

If this is not a joke thread then I am amazed. What are you guys smoking? Just know when an Indian sounding english speaker calls you and tells that they need remote access to your PC because windows was not shutdown correctly or FEDEX package is stuck just hang up..
Sadly this isn't much of a joke. Old CoDs (and Dark Souls games for a time) had notorious exploits that gave full remote control:

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Hackers becoming more prominent in gaming??

Im assuming you mean cheaters using hacks they bought on the Internet, not actual hackers, cuz if you are worried about actual hackers, you are already dead.
Their is very little a peasant can do vs a hacker who really wants to get into your barely protected system, might as well have an air gapped computer if you are that paranoid.
As for cheaters, theyve been trying to mitigate cheaters but cheat makers are constantly evolving and its a game of cat and mouse.....the more popular the game the more cheaters exist because its more profitable for cheat makers to make said cheats.

On Topic:
Yes you are being super paranoid.
Your system isnt that great, your information isnt that important, no one is gonna be bothering looking at a random COD player and deciding yeah this is the guy im gonna hack for information.

MiguelItUp

I think you're just being paranoid. In my entire experience of playing on PC, I've never had such a thing happen. Hackers in-game? That's one thing, they can come up here and there. But your information and other stuff getting compromised is.... paranoia for sure.

Ironbunny

Sadly this isn't much of a joke. Old CoDs (and Dark Souls games for a time) had notorious exploits that gave full remote control:

So a youtuber who is making a video of the issue turns out to run into the issue in a discord group hes on while making the video. I'd call that marketing

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Here’s some examples for reference after a quick search.

So you are not paranoid.

HTK

Banned

Does PlayStation still allow you to disable crossplay? Because Xbox doesn’t so you’ll be in lobbies with PC players. This will be the case going forward for PlayStation as well if they already haven’t removed that feature in MW3 so you have no choice but to rely on their anti-cheat.

MikeM

Does PlayStation still allow you to disable crossplay? Because Xbox doesn’t so you’ll be in lobbies with PC players. This will be the case going forward for PlayStation as well if they already haven’t removed that feature in MW3 so you have no choice but to rely on their anti-cheat.
The toggle is there for PS5.

HTK

Banned
The toggle is there for PS5.
I know that, I'm saying does anyone know if its there for MWIII? Sony partnership ends this year I believe, so maybe moving forward these things will change so it defeats the purpose of "going back to console".

Rambone

I usually stick to consoles that do not have crossplay with PC these days due to excessive cheating/hacking (whatever) going on with PC. A prime example of why I don't like playing on PC is GTA online. Nearly every single lobby I get into, some dude is teleporting around, gravity hacks, caging you and triggering some kind of death. I have never experienced any of this bullshit on my PS5.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I think you're just being paranoid. In my entire experience of playing on PC, I've never had such a thing happen. Hackers in-game? That's one thing, they can come up here and there. But your information and other stuff getting compromised is.... paranoia for sure.

Same. I’ve been playing online on PC for like 15 years.

Worst thing that ever happened to me is one of my steam friends got hacked and sent me a link to vote for him in some contest, and I clicked it like an idiot and lost my Steam account for like 30 mins.

small_law

You're either paranoid or at least a dozen people are out to get you at any given time.

My question is whether something a VPN service would work? I've never subscribed to one, but I've always kind of wanted to have one on standby in case I needed it. It should stop DOS attacks and hide your external IP address. It'll introduce latency, but it might be worth it. Mess around with networking long enough and you'll discover that everything is a trade-off.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

I usually stick to consoles that do not have crossplay with PC these days due to excessive cheating/hacking (whatever) going on with PC. A prime example of why I don't like playing on PC is GTA online. Nearly every single lobby I get into, some dude is teleporting around, gravity hacks, caging you and triggering some kind of death. I have never experienced any of this bullshit on my PS5.
What games are those you play that dont have crossplay?

Rambone

What games are those you play that dont have crossplay?
GTA Online, Battlefield V, RDR Online, Elden Ring, Souls games, Fallout 76, Monster Hunter Rise. That's pretty much what I've been playing lately, none of them have crossplay, that I am aware of.

A.Romero

So you are not paranoid.

In this thread someone says that the one doing it belongs to this channel: https://www.youtube.com/@XBOX360LSBEST1/videos

I peeked at the videos and couldn't find anything that seemed RCE.

However I never heard of this (Don't play COD) and it caught my attention so I googled a bit and it seems a exploit specific to Activision games and there seem to be ways to prevent it like https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2853389582

From my understanding the exploit allows to inject malware so if you are running an AV you should be safe enough but there seem to be a dll running around that would patch the exploit (which should be done by Activision but it seems they haven't taken any steps).

That said I don't think it's worth the stress. Personally, I'd stop playing the game but mostly because of Activision's negligence.

Black_Stride

GTA Online, Battlefield V, RDR Online, Elden Ring, Souls games, Fallout 76, Monster Hunter Rise. That's pretty much what I've been playing lately, none of them have crossplay, that I am aware of.
Ohh old games and non-pvp games.

Top Bottom