• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD4 dev blown away by PC piracy

Whipped Spartan said:
This is exactly why the industry can support 3 consoles now. PC games don't make any money. Everyone here knows it. We all know a PC gamer who never buys games and gets most of their gaming enjoyment out of playing the latest and greatest game for free.

Is this sarcasm?

ZeroTolerance

andrewfee said:
PC = Pirated
360 = Pirated
PS2 = Pirated
PSP = Pirated
Wii = Pirated
DS = Pirated

Clearly developers should only be focusing on the PS3 and dropping support for these platforms ASAP. The system is region free so there is no excuse for any kind of mod chips etc.

This.

But for how long on the PS3 though ? people are working on that shit like there is no tomorrow you know. By later this year or early next year, we will hear about its development.

Woakes

traveler said:
How much security and protection does Steam provide against this sort of thing?

This argument really doesn't work given that there are demoes for practically every cutting edge PC game out there. (CoD4 included)

You didn't really read my post, I said the pc's ability to read the copy protection on a disc successfully. Demo's don't demo that. Maybe they should, some sort of test for your drive packed in with a demo would perhaps be a nice idea. Of course negative results would negatively effect sales too, but it'd be honest.

sinnergy said:
PC gaming best things from both worlds: cheap games and best GRFX! :lol

And why do they even give a shit? They make enough money from the console versions.

We need an IQ check before people should be allowed to post on this board...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Whipped Spartan said:
This is exactly why the industry can support 3 consoles now. PC games don't make any money. Everyone here knows it. We all know a PC gamer who never buys games and gets most of their gaming enjoyment out of playing the latest and greatest game for free.
And just like consoles there are always companies who have created a monopoly of profit through their medium of choice. Blizzard and Valve are knocking on your door, the same way Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, UbiSoft, Square Enix and EA are. Your logic is stretching it a bit too far.

bumpkin

mr_bishiuk said:
What bugs me is that PC games are so cheap anyway! Theses people pay top dollar for their gaming rigs but are too cheap to actually buy any games. Scum bags!
This man speaks the sad, ironic truth. The main reason I never got into PC games is that I don't have the money (or inclination) to be constantly trying to keep up with the hardware. Console games might be lagging behind the PC in some respects, but at least I know that if something comes out for x console, it will play properly on it.

Davidion

Make piracy harder and you'll see it drop.

I'm of the opinion that there ought to be more effort put in to fouling up the torrent distributions and what have you. Will it destroy piracy? No. However, the goal shouldn't be to completely eradicate it, but rather push it away from critical mass so that it's kept strictly to a niche activity.

Kyoufu

ZeroTolerance said:
guess the next game will be console exclusive then ?

Retail yeah. It should still come out on Steam imo.

Or include keyboard/mouse support to give PC gamers incentive to play on console.

Fjolle

Well.. If they didnt want ppl to play online with a pirated game, they could just host a centralized server/matchmaking service...

Davidion

andrewfee said:
PC = Pirated
360 = Pirated
PS2 = Pirated
PSP = Pirated
Wii = Pirated
DS = Pirated

Clearly developers should only be focusing on the PS3 and dropping support for these platforms ASAP. The system is region free so there is no excuse for any kind of mod chips etc.

:lol :lol :lol

theBishop

Banned
ZeroTolerance said:
guess the next game will be console exclusive then ?

And give up PC sales entirely? doesn't make a lot of sense imo.

One reason I barely buy PC games anymore is because you're not getting anything for your money. Resale value is nil. If you lose the serial key, the disc is worthless. Now, they are even going to so far as to limit the number of installs you can perform via product activation.

I don't condone piracy, but frankly when the pirated version is superior to the crippled retail, there's not a lot of incentive to pay.

traveler

Not Wario
Prime crotch said:
Why is it that only piracy threads are the ones about PC gaming where most gaffers post?

Because it provides the biggest argument for them to say "Come to consoles!" or "Make it console only plez!" ?

Edit: See- andrewfee's and ZeroTolerance's posts. :lol

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
theBishop said:
it would be interesting to see how many game developers download music and movies over bittorrent.

Well, there's one of the pirated copies right there...

TheBranca18 said:
You're right.

Someone creates video game.
Someone steals video game.

The creator whines about the person who steals their intellectual property while doing nothing to stop it.

It's the creator's fault.

Super logic :)

thank you.

speedpop

Prime crotch said:
Why is it that only piracy threads are the ones about PC gaming where most gaffers post?
Because people love to hand out their uninformed opinions.

Fjolle said:
Well.. If they didnt want ppl to play online with a pirated game, they could just host a centralized server/matchmaking service...
Not when I can get 40 dedicated servers or so with a low ping in Australia run by several ISPs. Ever tried playing a FPS with a ping that exceeds 300?

bee

whine....its their own fault for making it easily playable online on a pirated copy on a large scale, how many other big new pc games out there are fully playable online without the use of some vpn program, fucking none thats how many.

it was the same with cod1 and cod2, they even have an option on the main menu to change your cd key instead of having to reinstall it or whatever, you cant cry about your game being played online with pirated copies if its your own dam fault.

ZeroTolerance

Prime crotch said:

Because piracy is a big problem and PC makes it all possible ?

Almost everygame that comes out for the PC is pirated. Even WoW with its enormous subscribers, you'd be surprised to see how many people play on pirated servers.

Enkidu

I feel the best way to avoid piracy with PC gaming is probably to add some sort of system like in BF2. Since multi player is so important when it comes to PC games preventing somebody from playing online would do much to make people pay. Of course, it's never perfect, and there are always ways to crack the system. But unless a game is really popular, there probably won't be that many cracked server either.

speedpop

ZeroTolerance said:
Almost everygame that comes out for the PC is pirated. Even WoW with its enormous subscribers, you'd be surprised to see how many people play on pirated servers.
Every console/handheld will be pirated eventually whether you like it or not. Trying to say that they won't is pulling a giant woolcloth over your head.

As for WoW - ever tried playing on those private servers?

SRG01

Programmers and developers are fighting a losing war against software piracy on the PC. The "scene" as they call it is huge. Any form of copy protection is defeated within days/weeks, and the stronger ones are borderline malware (see Starforce).

What the PC industry needs to do is to come up with an alternative way of delivering content.

shinsnake

Banned
I don't think the guys who pirate these games should be able to play them either, but I don't think it's a direct correlation to sales as the developer or even many in this thread suggest. At a company I used to work for, we had a pirated copy of Q3A in the sense we had 1 copy being used by 6 people. Even if we couldn't have hacked it, we never would have bought 6 copies. Matter of fact, unless I checked to see if the game was in fact pirateable in that sense, we wouldn't even have bought one.

I think that a large portion of the people who pirate games aren't going to buy them anyway. But that still doesn't mean it's not wrong and they shouldn't be able to enjoy the game without paying for it. Especially when I enjoy the game and gladly pay for it.

speedpop said:
Every console/handheld will be pirated eventually whether you like it or not. Trying to say that they won't is pulling a giant woolcloth over your head.

As for WoW - ever tried playing on those private servers?

There are many benefits to the PC development scene but let's not pretend piracy on the console scene is at the same level of the PC scene unless you throw in emulation.

besada

Banned
Fjolle said:

So if they add DRM they're dicks treating their customers like thieves, and if the don't they're suckers who should have known better.

I can't imagine why most of the well-known PC devs are slowly but surely becoming primarily console devs.

ZeroTolerance said:
Because piracy is a big problem and PC makes it all possible ?

But I don't see you a bit worried with threads about actual PC gaming, you know, games. Now here comes a developer giving his two cents about piracy and lo and behold here comes the "PC=piracy" squad.

"So if they add DRM they're dicks treating their customers like thieves, and if the don't they're suckers who should have known better."

That's not DRM, brainiac.

theBishop

Banned
SRG01 said:
Programmers and developers are fighting a losing war against software piracy on the PC. The "scene" as they call it is huge. Any form of copy protection is defeated within days/weeks, and the stronger ones are borderline malware (see Starforce).

What the PC industry needs to do is to come up with an alternative way of delivering content.

Nah, I think they need to accept that copyright infringement is a reality for all creative businesses. What they need to do is stop punishing the honest customers with crippled products, and make the physical copy more desirable.

Kudos to Bethesda, Oblivion was a shining example of how to do a PC release right. And if I remember correctly, the PC version was a big seller.

PC publishers need to STOP making us feel like all we're buying is a serial key.

SRG01

theBishop said:
Nah, I think they need to accept that copyright infringement is a reality for all creative businesses. What they need to do is stop punishing the honest customers with crippled products, and make the physical copy more desirable.

Kudos to Bethesda, Oblivion was a shining example of how to do a PC release right. And if I remember correctly, the PC version was a big seller.

True, Oblivion sold quite well on the PC. But is that the norm or the exception?

It's kind of depressing when I, being raised on PC gaming, see PC games get smaller and smaller shelf space compared to consoles.

Hell, the only few games in recent memory that have sold quite a bit would be subscription-based games a la MMOs, or content-driven games such as The Sims.

SRG01

test_account said:
I thought you needed to buy the game to be able to play online, or atleast have a valid CD-key (well.. DVD-key hehe :p).

You'd be surprised at how easily that is circumvented client-side.

theBishop

Banned
SRG01 said:
True, Oblivion sold quite well on the PC. But is that the norm or the exception?

The exception is a PC release that doesn't require a CD-key, doesn't require activation, doesn't install malware, and does include a nice fold out map and hefty game guide.

Is this the reason the game did well? Probably not. But it clearly didn't prevent the game from doing well, and Oblivion PC was a better product because of it.

theBishop said:
Indeed. Make it worth buying the game at full price, instead of pirating it or waiting three months before you can buy it for like €10 in a bargain bin. Bring for example the big boxes we had in the 90's with maps and full-colour manuals and concept art and other goodies back.

theBishop

Banned
TAJ said:
Well, there's one of the pirated copies right there...

bx35n3v098xngfwcvin7.jpg

try again.

RavenFox

Banned
pr0cs said:
Is this really surprising?
They should have just skipped the PC version IMO.
So the people who dont steal and dont have a console suffer? Its not their fault morons exist on every corner of this planet.

Leonsito

I'm sure that in Spain pirated software on PC and other platforms as PS2 or PSP is around 90% in terms of hardware users, I'm not trying to extrapolate it to people I know, that would bring about 99%.

Vark

I'm not going to say what game it was but I work with a guy who's last title was PC only.

There were at any given three times as many people playing the game online as copies sold. This wasn't a high profile title either, I imagine those numbers are even worse.

For anyone in this thread defending pirates or blaming the developers, seriously, from the bottom of my cold dark heart.

Fuck you.

ZeroTolerance

Prime crotch said:
But I don't see you a bit worried with threads about actual PC gaming, you know, games. Now here comes a developer giving his two cents about piracy and lo and behold here comes the "PC=piracy" squad.

So I dont comment in other PC games thread and I come out and comment in my first PC piracy related thread and voice out the inevitable truth and am called out ?

Only.At. Gaf.

speedpop

ZeroTolerance said:
So I dont comment in other PC games thread and I come out and comment in my first PC piracy related thread and voice out the inevitable truth and am called out ?

Only.At. Gaf.
:lol A bit like the PSP homebrew chatter eh?

test_account

XP-39C²
SRG01 said:
You'd be surprised at how easily that is circumvented client-side.

Not if an auth-server is used that checks all CD keys. You can set up so-called cracked servers to avoid this, but you cannot play on every server then. I'm very suprised if CoD4 doesnt use and auth-server to check the keys.

Xrenity

Woakes said:
I hate piracy. It's not so much the money (though of course it's that too), it's the feeling that my work has gone unrewarded or unappreciated. That said, I also hate this sort of alarmist statistic. I remain unconvinced as to how many of those people would have actually bought the game had pirating it not been an option anyway.

Not to excuse piracy, as my stance on it is clear. But it's impact on the industry is probably overstated. I'm not saying it doesn't have a significant impact, of course it does. But invasive copy protection probably does more harm.
I think you're right.

But I don't think all this anti-piracy stuff on PC helps the case. Cause damn, it's so annoying for the people who do actually buy the game and it gets cracked anyway.

And PS2 had A LOT of piracy as well.

Top Bottom