• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. |OT| They made Lincoln Force! Or: "Welcome to Earth!"

Velcro Fly

It seems possible for DLC. Having a few more maps, some weapons, and a character is just the kind of DLC Nintendo would do too. Game is a full product on it's own, and for a little bit extra a tiny expansion on that full game.

I'm still think that is BS, but it's at least realistic BS.

Taser9090

Neo Member
Hmm, that's interesting. Zorro and Peter Pan look like they're more recent than the other works represented in the game, so they aren't really public domain in the eyes of corporate big wigs.

It's a treat to look up all these novels when a new agent comes along. Though it's a shame that The Fox is not even the actual story.

RagnarokX

zlCfzTIDD8wivEAhPh

zlCfzTIDD8wivEAhPh

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHjKuKg2ag

ThatMattZ

Oh man, I am loving this game so far. Never thought I would ever be into a strategy RPG game but the demo competently sold me on it and the full game is not disappointing at all. Completely engrossed in this game.

So, what's everyone's strategy been with the gears? So far I've gotten all of them except for 2 in 4-2 and I missed one in 5 because I wasn't thinking and crossed the goal while another character was standing right next to one? Is there a list of all the boilers that unlock from all the gears? Should I go back and replay those missions now so I have the equipment that it unlocks for the upcoming chapters?

Also, is there a way to go back and just re-play a single map (like 4-2) without having to go through the whole chapter?

Finally got the chance to start playing this yesterday, playing through chapter 2. This is actually my first chess style grid based strategy game, so it took me a while to come to grips with this kind of game. I got my ass kicked through the first chapter, but was able to clear chapter two without much trouble. I love the visual style, the characters are fun, and the music is AWESOME. One thing that pissed me off though is in 2-2
the level ended upon me clearing out the place, so I missed a gear. And to make matters worse, when you re enter a level you lose STEAM when backtracking?
. I haven't seen too much of the game, so I'm excited to see what's in store! Chapter 3 looks to be twice as long as the first two, so that's cool. I'm guessing there are
levels judging by the amount of gears you can get?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Don't worry about getting all the Gears through the first time through, because the way they unlock, there's a big gap between the second to last Boiler, and the last Boiler (finding all the Gears), so if you collect a decent amount you'll have everything you can get before beating the main scenario.

Zing

Banned
In regards to losing steam when backtracking, that is an option when replaying a stage. When you are preparing, you have three options, all which increase the difficulty as well as the medal reward upon completion. It sounds as though you selected one of these options without reading the text.

I just finished 3-2. Everything else so far is easy compared to that.

lt519

Did the first mission/intro last night. Waiting for the enemy seems to have been blown out of proportion unless it gets longer later.

I also don't mind not being able to see them, gives it a more action oriented vibe.

Zing

Banned
The enemy wait time is fine. The only time it can get a little annoying is when you get wiped out and need to reload your game. I suspect that the complaints in reviews are from people who were doing poorly and getting frustrated overall.

mjc

The enemy wait time is fine. The only time it can get a little annoying is when you get wiped out and need to reload your game. I suspect that the complaints in reviews are from people who were doing poorly and getting frustrated overall.

Yeah I can see that as a problem for sure. It's happened to me once before and it sucked having to reload the mission knowing I'd have to wait all that time. Couple that with not having an overmap or something similar, and I can see why reviewers got upset.

Watch Da Birdie

The implementation of the Cthulu Lore is surprisingly deep and well-researched as seen by Carter's bestiaries...

Just realized the elephant-like aliens, which Carter says reminds him of an "elephant statue that was worshiped", isn't from a Lovecraft story, but is probably based off the Conan tale "Tower of the Elephant" by Robert E. Howard, who was a big fan of Lovecraft and part of his circle of friends.

Would've been cool to see Conan pop up in S.T.E.A.M., but looking it over seems like Zorro he's one of those technical public domain dudes that people keep trying to own.

Riposte

Having beaten the boss that made McElroy rage-quit, I can pretty much confirm that he was just plain bad at the game. I mean, there were way more annoying missions before that (although even then, nothing really worth knocking the game for). It's a fairly straightforward mission, with concepts that were not new at that point. I actually ended up getting it on my second try in like three or four turns, although I decided not to use the default team (
Fox instead of Lion
) and it went kind of messy.

Btw, I really like a new strat I basically found by accident during the mission:
Randolph power + Sentry is a beast

Does anyone know what Lure does in multiplayer? I don't want to try it out lol.

Anyway, good game, albeit very time-consuming (and dangerously addictive on top of that). A little on the easy side, especially for anyone looking for a hardcore turn-counting experience (since getting the turn bonus is rather easy in most missions), but I think the creativity in its map layouts and weapons more than make up for that. At the very least, I didn't feel like I was playing on an "easy" mode, which is probably why the game will get a lot of heat from casual players. I shouldn't forget to mention though, that I never used any of the checkpoints and always got all three gears no matter what; without that limitation I'm sure the game is much easier (on the flip side, I think you save so much time and will get more upgrades if you just do it this way the first time). It's actually rather distinct from Valkyria Chronicles, in part because the aiming mechanic is so much more fleshed out (however this contributes to how time-consuming it is).

EDIT: You unlock a soundtest after beating the game. Nice. I never got sick of the game's music even after all those turns.

Watch Da Birdie

This is the first day I haven't played it since I got it, mainly because I wanna give my other games love. It is dangerously addictive, so much so that recently I've had moments where I have to stop and remind myself that, no, I myself do not have steam limiting my movements. I'm afraid if I start I'll be playing all night.

Really interested in seeing if this picks up among speed-runners. The long enemy turns might be a detriment to streaming, but it'll be interesting seeing players pick the game apart and find how fast they can beat each level with different layouts. I can already see how some characters...Scarecrow in 4-2 with the stun bugs...would lead to interesting strategies unavailable during the first time.

Does anyone know what Lure does in multiplayer? I don't want to try it out lol

It makes a Fake Item Box, Mario Kart style, apparently. It doesn't explode or have anything in it I think, but lures the players with promise of an item.

L95

EDIT: You unlock a soundtest after beating the game. Nice. I never got sick of the game's music even after all those turns.

I have an intense appreciation of sound tests in video games, I'm glad to hear this one has one. :0

I'm having some trouble finding the last survivor in 4-2, I can't find a guide so could anyone just list off where some are for me? I'd really appreciate it.

L95

I'm having some trouble finding the last survivor in 4-2, I can't find a guide so could anyone just list off where some are for me? I'd really appreciate it.

The one I missed was behind a gear beside the building to the right of your starting position. (if you face straight out the door of the building you start at)

I honestly don't remember where the rest really are, because I found them easily.

EDIT: Wait, switch that, the civ is in front of the gear, so if you find him last you can't get the gear unless you lion jump over him. (This was annoying)

Don't worry about getting all the Gears through the first time through, because the way they unlock, there's a big gap between the second to last Boiler, and the last Boiler (finding all the Gears), so if you collect a decent amount you'll have everything you can get before beating the main scenario.

Cool. It's more of an OCD thing I have for collecting things :p. What do the boilers even do? How do you use them? I see you can choose which one you want before entering a chapter or level but that's about it. I just beat chapter 3 so I think I'm pretty early on still.

Watch Da Birdie

You change them between Maps, when choosing characters.

There are three Boilers each "weight class" can use, granting them different Max Steam, different Steam Refill (how much Steam they get at the beginning of a turn), as well as other bonuses such as better Offense and Defense, or HP Regen. By weight class, Henry and Tiger Lilly are medium, John and Lion are heavy, and Tom, who you'll get soon, is light.

Riposte

I still don't know what Rocket Pack does lol.

The Deadly Dance (I-III) series are the best music themes in the game.

Watch Da Birdie

I still don't know what Rocket Pack does lol.

The Deadly Dance (I-III) series are the best music themes in the game.

I think it boosts the Jump Booster sub-weapon you get...which is a weird choice since the Rocket Pack you get first, while the Jump Booster you get long, long after. And the Rocket Pack will probably be unlocked around when you get Lion, the only character who can jump, and it's confusing at first that he can't equip it. It's one of the few times I felt the game sort of fudged up in terms of introducing the mechanics.

Is that the song with the alien lyrics? I'm wondering if the lyrics are actually saying something if you slow it down, reverse it.

The one I missed was behind a gear beside the building to the right of your starting position. (if you face straight out the door of the building you start at)

I honestly don't remember where the rest really are, because I found them easily.

EDIT: Wait, switch that, the civ is in front of the gear, so if you find him last you can't get the gear unless you lion jump over him. (This was annoying)

Yup, that was the one I was missing; thanks!

Zing

Banned
Cool. It's more of an OCD thing I have for collecting things :p. What do the boilers even do? How do you use them? I see you can choose which one you want before entering a chapter or level but that's about it. I just beat chapter 3 so I think I'm pretty early on still.
The game really doesn't explain how the prepare menus work. I had to just tap on everything to figure it out.

It's also odd that you enable streetpass from the prepare screen, and spot pass from the online multiplayer screen. This is going to be another game where many streetpasses are missed simply because people didn't read then manual. I mean, it's an unlabelled button on the prepare screen that one wouldn't even think to tap!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's a Codename Steam 3DS theme now available for $2, "Lincoln Vs. The Aliens", plays "Lady Liberty" on the main menu.

Watch Da Birdie

There's a Codename Steam 3DS theme now available for $2, "Lincoln Vs. The Aliens", plays "Lady Liberty" on the main menu.

Bought.

I'd love one themed for the Aliens with that one "alien singing song" playing too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Now that I'm up to Chapter 6 I'm enjoying the game a lot more. There's more variety in the characters and strategy you can take now, but I'm also more knowledgeable on how to handle enemies in general.

Watch Da Birdie

How on earth do you use the Harpoon effectively? It never goes through the enemy and stops at the first one.

Honestly, I rarely get much use out of Skills...especially that one, it doesn't seem to be super-strong so I've just saved it to finish off bosses.

quabba

There are three Boilers each "weight class" can use, granting them different Max Steam, different Steam Refill (how much Steam they get at the beginning of a turn), as well as other bonuses such as better Offense and Defense, or HP Regen. By weight class, Henry and Tiger Lilly are medium, John and Lion are heavy, and Tom, who you'll get soon, is light.

I still can't see what the other boiler does. When I switch between the first and second the steam number changes but I dont understand what the number means or how to see more information

Watch Da Birdie

Just beat the game. Almost exactly one week after I bought it, about 26 hours put into it.

Fuck. That was a great game. Seriously, I haven't enjoyed a new game like that in quite awhile. I'm sad it's over, though. The challenge modes are probably a bit above my skill level, so I'll probably grab the last two Gears I need for 100%, and call it quits. But I'm really interested in seeing more people pick up this game and try it out, and see all the strategies people create with the various character combinations. I think this game might have a good future on Youtube and such.

I don't get the Polygon review at all now, though. I can't understand where the reviewer was "tricked" into thinking he was at the final Boss when he wasn't...if he was tricked where I think he was, then I feel sorry for him since all he had left was a really easy finisher segment made to help the player cool off after a difficult Boss.

Here's hoping this franchise doesn't die---please, don't let it die. I don't need a sequel right away, even this generation, but please don't let this franchise slip through your fingers Nintendo! At the very least, I'd love to see Nintendo promote this as one of their multi-media ventures, and actually produce a cartoon around it using the original voice actors.

I still can't see what the other boiler does. When I switch between the first and second the steam number changes but I dont understand what the number means or how to see more information

There's a switch on the touch-screen after choosing the four characters that says "Unit/Team", switch that to have the top-screen display specific information.

The game really doesn't explain how the prepare menus work. I had to just tap on everything to figure it out.

It's also odd that you enable streetpass from the prepare screen, and spot pass from the online multiplayer screen. This is going to be another game where many streetpasses are missed simply because people didn't read then manual. I mean, it's an unlabelled button on the prepare screen that one wouldn't even think to tap!

I noticed each character has a "special ability" (separate from their once per map special move). I assume these are contextual as Henry can push crates and stuff, but other than his I haven't figured out how to use anyone else's (I just got Tom so I have five characters now).

Thanks.

Formless

So how do you use the boilers? Also, I noticed each character has a "special ability" (separate from their once per map special move). I assume these are contextual as Henry can push crates and stuff, but other than his I haven't figured out how to use anyone else's (I just got Tom so I have five characters now).

Tom you have to stand near a higher ledge. Tiger Lily just gets an "Endure" type thing where she can take one more hit at low health than it might seem.

Watch Da Birdie

Henry can push objects, John can "kick" objects and allies out of the way (this doesn't hurt them, I believe, and can be used to move them to a spot without wasting steam...although I never used this skill), Tiger Lilly can survive a deadly hit, and Tom can climb up ledges, just move him towards one and it'll prompt you.

Lion's is unique among them, as his skill Courageous gives the whole team a DEF+ boost just by being with them.

Henry can push objects, John can "kick" objects and allies out of the way (this doesn't hurt them, I believe, and can be used to move them to a spot without wasting steam...although I never used this skill), Tiger Lilly can survive a deadly hit, and Tom can climb up ledges, just move him towards one and it'll prompt you.

Lion's is unique among them, as his skill Courageous gives the whole team a DEF+ boost just by being with them.

Interesting. I see Inty Systems likes to leave players to figure things out themselves. I was fine with this in Sticker Star because I was more familiar with that type of gameplay. This is my first grid based strategy game so it's been challenging for me. Thanks for the tips!

I've gotten upto 4-2 without dying or missing any medals. Wonder how long I can keep this up since I suck at strategy games. Quit at the beginning of 5-1 to play online and found out only 34 people entered the tournament. Yeesh. Tried entering but found noone. Did find someone in random death match tho. Don't wanna play anymore until (if) I beat the game due to me being insane over activity log stat tracking but I may keep doing online.

This game has already bombed huh? :( So sad you see such a good game like this bomb. GOTY contender for me even if I can't beat it. So intense, been awhile since I played a strategy game, they are basically survival horror games to me haha.

Also: About how long would it take to find someone in tourney mode? Atleast wanna get whatever Nintendo offered. Most likely will miss out.

Lunar15

Still interested in getting this game, just haven't had time. Demo didn't blow me away, but I still trust IS.

Plus, the small snippets of music I've been able to find have been SPECTACULAR. Doesn't sound like Hirano disappointed in any way. I wish someone would put the OST up on youtube!

This game has already bombed huh? :( So sad you see such a good game like this bomb. GOTY contender for me even if I can't beat it. So intense, been awhile since I played a strategy game, they are basically survival horror games to me haha.

Did it bomb? That's a bummer if so, it's a really fun game. That is an interesting perspective comparing it to survival horror... I don't know if I'd go that far but I definitely feel stressed out at times haha... Far more than in something like Pikmin.

Formless

The game is new and the single player's really meaty. I haven't even tried it, so not surprised that online is small either way.

Watch Da Birdie

Honestly, the save points make things FAR easier---and they're really not that costly in later levels where enemies drop a significant amount of money. Actually, though, I admit, I do not think I could've won a lot of missions without relying on them. You're not forced to use them, so I think the game does a good job at letting the player determine the difficulty through that.

Plus then you have the limited modes when you replay Missions, which I imagine even with the save point might be pretty difficult. The "no retracing your steps" sounds crazy since that's a big part of the strategy.

Still interested in getting this game, just haven't had time. Demo didn't blow me away, but I still trust IS.

Plus, the small snippets of music I've been able to find have been SPECTACULAR. Doesn't sound like Hirano disappointed in any way. I wish someone would put the OST up on youtube!

Yes! I got the Sound Test unlocked now, and it's excellent finally being able to listen to the music.

Riposte

Yeah this game bombed, just looking at how quickly prices were dropped. There is also low interest among enthusiasts, judging by GAF. I hope the multiplayer can create a scene. I think something cool can come out of it.

batfax

Dang 12-1 is annoying. The
stupid stealth guys not being able to be hit with Overwatch and constantly knocking me out of cover from mortar fire keeps making me lose SOMEONE. Dorothy's weapon isn't particularly useful against anything but the gunners either.

Watch Da Birdie

Dang 12-1 is annoying. The
stupid stealth guys not being able to be hit with Overwatch and constantly knocking me out of cover from mortar fire keeps making me lose SOMEONE. Dorothy's weapon isn't particularly useful against anything but the gunners either.

The eyes won't move as long as both of them are locked onto someone.

At one point down the left, there's a veranda. Draw the eyes there, and keep a character underneath it and make sure both eyes are locked on---they'll keep firing into the veranda, not hitting the character. Have a character stay who provides a skill since they won't be helping much...such as Randolph so the others get his Critical Hit+ Skill. As long as you don't hit the eyes or move from them, they'll never leave, meaning the other three won't be hit by the Artillery now as long as they stay far from the big monster.

Fox or Califia can find a good place to hit the Artillery dudes from afar, there's a rooftop on the left to stand for the first one, and a back-alley further down the left for the second. Scarecrow is great here, as usual, since you can use the Pumpkin Bombs to block the paths and use John to lob grenades over and do double damage when the enemies are stunned by the Pumpkin Bombs.

Top Bottom