• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Vein Review Thread

sublimit

Banned
8c67110933ce17bb89517956eb6f93a2ec0d03e1.jpeg

GameSpace 95
"You can literally customize your way of playing and it's worth every single second. "

Game Revolution 90
"I had very few issues with this game, and it was a great experience playing through it. There’s some hype behind it, but I think it’ll end up being one of the sleeper hits of 2019. It blends the right amounts of Souls-like gameplay, anime cheesiness, and excellent design to result in a satisfying package that should please just about anyone. "[/qu

Den of Geek 4/5
Yes, Code Vein is heavily inspired by Dark Souls. But that’s perfectly okay. It brings enough new ideas to the table to set itself apart and carve out its own niche. It’s got top-notch presentation, polished gameplay, and more narrative depth than your typical action RPG. Don’t sleep on this one.

Twinfinite 90
"The story goes some surprisingly emotional places, and the sheer variety of gameplay styles is a huge strength. Code Vein is easily one of the sleeper hits of the year, and it's an experience that's a joy to sink your teeth into. "

CGMagazine 85
"Code Vein is some fun anime nonsense is a slickly designed package with some minor failings. "

RPGFan - 84
"If you're looking for a different spin on the Soulsborne series, Bandai Namco offers up their take with gameplay that feels inviting rather than punishing. "

The Games Machine 84
"Code Vein is a good dark anime-style action RPG. There are some flaws like the AI or various technical/graphic imperfections, but the articulated combat system, the versatile gameplay, the co-op and a plot that holds up to the end despite stereotypes and clichés manage to give to novices and experts 40+ hours of brutal souls like fun. "

IGN Italia 85
"Code Vein is an anime soulslike with a huge focus on character build and an endearing story that could relate to the God Eater series. "

LaPS4 83
"Code Vein fulfills what was promised after several launch delays, offering an RPG with anime aesthetics with remarkable gameplay and history, but ballasting several mistakes that make it difficult to stand out among other games of its kind. "

PlayStation LifeStyle 80
"Code Vein feels like it wants to take the idea of community and important AIs and marry it with the gameplay and ideas prevalent in Soulslikes. It is a story-heavy affair that wants you to care about its characters, while also helping you find your way in a demanding world with thoughtful combat. There are some technical hitches along the way, such as frame rate drops, but they’re the sort of problems that could very well be eventually fixed with patches. For now, it’s a largely successful experiment into some new ideas. "

EGM 80
"There was a lot of potential for Code Vein to end up little more than a mediocre Dark Souls clone dressed in anime clothing, and yet, it’s actually kinda, sorta, pretty good. The game mixes some long-established gameplay qualities with a totally engrossing class system and a story that’s more enjoyable than it has any right to be. Code Vein won’t be for everyone, even if you’re a Souls fan, but if the overall idea sounds appealing, the execution might surprise you. "

IGN 70
"Despite building itself on well-tread ground, Code Vein definitely moves to the beat of its own drummer, but that beat can lose its rhythm when you need it to be steady. Some changes like being able to easily switch around and experiment with classes on the fly are great, while others like its inconsistent AI partner could be more trouble than they were worth at times. But in both the good and the bad, I appreciated its enthusiasm for mixing things up and getting a little weird. If you’re looking for a unique take on a familiar type of challenge, and are open to loving and hating a game for its many mechanical quirks in the same breath, Code Vein is worth sinking your teeth into. "

DualShockers 70
"Code Vein features anime vampires and fast combat, but it's too reliant on the exact Soulslike formula to stand out on its own. "

Hardcore Gamer 70
"The average story is well represented through a plethora of cutscenes and even has alternate scenario outcomes based on your exploration efforts, even though it brings with it numerous anime tropes and long drawn out scenes. There’s a broad number of locations to visit with their own creative designs, but their size and complexity are inconsistent. There’s so much holding Code Vein back, yet I felt entranced and excited to continue playing all the way through. While it will continue to live in the shadow of Souls games, it doesn’t mean that it’s some cheap knockoff, as the number of distinctions allows for it to differentiate itself from the herd. "

TheSixthAxis 70
"Code Vein is addictive, yet frustrating. It's promising, yet unpolished. There are a lot of interesting ideas here that come together to craft a unique and engaging experience. I just wish that the flaws here weren't so glaring, because they keep Code Vein from being a great game instead of just a good one. "

DualShockers 70
"Code Vein features anime vampires and fast combat, but it's too reliant on the exact Soulslike formula to stand out on its own. "

Game Informer 65
"Code Vein has some cool things to enjoy along the way and some nice ideas that shake up the core formula, but they are all incidental details. The heart of Code Vein remains overburdened by stale scenery, boring bosses, and tiresome trudging, and all of that is beyond what some nice touches can redeem. "

GameSpot 60
"Code Vein adopts the Souls-like formula in its structure, presenting a familiar cycle of progression and basic combat similarities, and there are some interesting ideas here, too, built around the use of various Blood Codes and their distinct Gifts. You can see the fragments of a fantastic game hidden within these systems and its meaty combat feedback, but the mundanity of its enemies and the effect they have on nullifying the combat's enjoyment prevent Code Vein from ever realizing its potential. "

Trusted Reviews 40
"A ruined, post-apocalyptic anime future could have made for a fantastic game, but it falters at every genre it attempts to ape. Code Vein is clearly attempting to spin a lot of plates. But unless you’re into playing a great character creator with a bad Dark Souls clone attached to it, we’d say steer clear. "

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I also have it pre-ordered it even though i was a bit hesitant at first mostly due to already having too many (relatively recent) games on my backlog that i want to play/finish.

But i really enjoyed the demo and i also want to support these types of mid-tier games on day 1. And anyway this will probably be the last game this year i buy day 1 (although i'm also considering Atelier Ryza and i still need to buy Greedfall...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Combat, specifically weight of hits felt detached to me in demo and thts a deal breaker for me. If there isn't weight the immersion is killed for me and the game becomes not fun.
Absolutely agree. This is the only thing that kept me from even finishing either demo.

The hits don't feel right. The sword felt like it does too little damage. The oversized axe/clubs felt slightly better. All weapons don't feel like they reliably sink into enemies, interrupt attack patterns, or have weight in any way that impacts the gameplay. The gun was the most enjoyable weapon for me, ranged and melee options.

It's such a small detail, but it's all I could think about while playing.

Life

Boring bosses? Sounds like it could be too easy. Key ingredient in the souls formula and they potentially missed it? Meh.

Isa

Nice to see some out there enjoyed it for what its worth. I personally am super excited for this one, and have been since the announcement. I've been needing some games to scratch that Soul's itch for some time and now I've been inundated with a plethora of games with Code Vein, The Surge 2, and Nioh 2 sometime next year. I'm still a little miffed that we can't make our pc's closer in bust size to the npcs, but I look forward to seeing if they get the chance to make a sequel what improvements they might add. I won a half-day off from work some I'm gonna take it tomorrow and get some proper game time in before the missus gets home.

Neolombax

I played the recent beta, and I liked it. It was not as challenging as the Souls series I felt, so I think its a good fit for people who has always wanted to play a Soulsborne type game that is slightly forgiving. The main dungeon area looks to be dull and repetitive looking though, not sure if this is true for the whole game.

I'm glad this game is getting some good reviews, if not mixed. I'll probably buy it at a discount. I'm struggling trying to at least finish Borderlands 3 main campaign before Shadowkeep arrives and consumes my spare time, again.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Actually im not such a fan of anime... but i love games, not matter the art style.

Otaku means Anime? As for Code Vein, im not really a fan of Anime at all but the game interests me more than all the other souls games (except Nioh) especially since it appears that the story is good which makes me happy. Will definitely pick this up on Black Weekend.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Otaku means Anime? As for Code Vein, im not really a fan of Anime at all but the game interests me more than all the other souls games (except Nioh) especially since it appears that the story is good which makes me happy. Will definitely pick this up on Black Weekend.

Well if Otaku is fanatic.... i admit that i am in the gaming zone, i like art anime, but i cannot stand such much in this area... i get bored.

Last edited:

Phase

About a 70 on metacritic right now. About what I expected after playing the beta. I had more fun with God Eater.

Karak

Here....have a subscribe and some Patreon love.....hopefully it will help to buy a bigger plate ;)
You rock thanks! With youtube basically instantly going after the videos its always nice. Plus its just nice to know someone likes the content!

Trying some more out of this game tomorrow as well

Last edited:

Nydus

Negatory I had too many things on my plate
Ah damn! Bought surge 2 instantly after skillup and you gave your thumbs up. Especially you since I thought you would give it a "wait for discount", but when you said it's a buy I knew I would not regret it and I love it! If skillup doesn't release a review I don't really know where to look next :messenger_sad_relieved:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Steam loves it because well anime shit but I can tell from the all the vids and opinions the game feels average as fuck. Think I'll go with The Surge 2 instead.

rubhen925

These are the guys that made god eater games. Those game had no impact with weapons when used on enemies and they seem to bring that here too. People are right the impact is missing. But the game has its positives. The customization is insane. You can go full weeb mode here. Along with the amount of abilities that you can use is pretty insane. And remember you can switch your blood code on the fly making different strategies with ease.

I'm enjoying my time even with the flaws. At least there's no screen tearing like there was in the surge 2 which made me sick at times.

Coop is fun as well. The game has a lot going for it with some flaws. No game is gonna best the souls series but this gives a different flavour.

People bashing the game just based on footage alone are going to miss out on a flawed gem here

Top Bottom