• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colored contacts in movies/shows are ass.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Do directors/producers not know this? Colored contact lenses to change a character's eye color look terrible and they pull me out of the scene 100% of the time.

Not only does light not interact with the material the same way it does an iris, but the shape of the contact of course has to be the shape of the cornea. A very convex shape. Irises are flat 'discs'.

It's very uncanny valley and I'd rather they change it in post (if don't right) or just don't touch their eyes at all.

I hate it.

YCoCg

Better than using cgi.

Blade-Eyes.gif

Jinzo Prime

Do directors/producers not know this? Colored contact lenses to change a character's eye color look terrible and they pull me out of the scene 100% of the time.

Not only does light not interact with the material the same way it does an iris, but the shape of the contact of course has to be the shape of the cornea. A very convex shape. Irises are flat 'discs'.

It's very uncanny valley and I'd rather they change it in post (if don't right) or just don't touch their eyes at all.

I hate it.
Need specific examples.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
for me it's actresses dilating their pupils because of some old hollywood practice where they thought it made them look more attractive; why are your eyes fucking saucers when the scene is well lit? And why are your scene partner's normal?!
hollyweird indeed.

Trilobit

I hate it.

Thank you! It's one of the biggest distractions and I can't believe that they don't enhance it with CGI or just skip it. It's so weird when the pupils are the same size no matter what happens, uncanny valley like you mentioned.

I think last time it annoyed me was with De Niro and his blue contacts in the Irishman.

Trilobit

I'm watching the new Shogun show and immediately wondered about the main character's unnaturally blue eyes and constantly tiny pupils.

Well I found the answer:

iu

E-Cat

for me it's actresses dilating their pupils because of some old hollywood practice where they thought it made them look more attractive; why are your eyes fucking saucers when the scene is well lit? And why are your scene partner's normal?!
hollyweird indeed.
Wait what, you can dilate your pupils at will?

Top Bottom