• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage - Murakami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmond

Loving the cover. Another great one.

zMGjSve.png

51ba7268bcab34.45260349.jpg

I read the Dutch translation a few months ago. I really enjoyed it, it's definitely the most "normal" Murakami I've read so far.
Not a single talking animal!
. It's still very much his style: bittersweet, melancholy. It didn't make as much as an impact as Norwegian Wood or Kafka on the Shore, however.

I was a bit hesitant after 1Q84 - I liked the first book, but by the end of book 3 I was not gripped anymore. Maybe I just lost track of the story or themes... I had to force myself to keep reading and finish it. With this latest book, I wanted to keep reading to see where it led.

Holy crap! I had no idea the translation was coming out already! I haven't even started 1Q84 yet...

Sputnik Sweetheart is (sometimes) my favorite novel, so I definitely recommend it. It's also really short and easy to get through. Other than that, Kafka on the Shore, Norwegian Wood and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle are fantastic. But then again, everything I've read by him is really good. Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman, his short story collection, has some great stories. What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, his non-fiction book about running marathons, was really fun to read.

Yeah, I like Murakami.

ЯAW

Banned
Yay, more Murakami! I'm pretty stoked for this, I am also prepared to be disappointed, but it's been while since I read grounded Murakami, so I'm eager to start reading. I'm probably going to reread Underground before I start this, it's been too long since I last read it.

LProtag

I still need to read:
South of the Border, West of the Sun
Sputnik Sweetheart
After Dark

Also I don't think I finished all of his short stories, but I don't remember which collection I hadn't read yet.

I'll probably pick up one of these once I finish this book.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
1q84 was okay, the first 2/3rds anyway. Got this pre-ordered for Kindle, lookin' forward to it.

R.I.P

Do they have Wind Up Bird Chronicle in Finland? I think that's still his best, especially if you liked the general tone of Kafka.

Nah, that hasn't been translated into Finnish yet. The publisher translating Murakami's work into Finnish is really slow (only eight have been translated so far, including Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki), so I've been intending to just get the English releases once I'm done with the ones that have been translated into Finnish.

I did enjoy Kafka a lot, and Wind Up Bird Chronicle does seem to be right up my alley so I might look into getting it next if I can find it for cheap :)

EVOL 100%

Only read Hardboiled Wonderland and 1Q84. Liked the former a lot, thought the latter was pretty dire tbh. I know it was supposed to be surreal and detached but the characters were like cardboard cutouts. I did like the part about the private investigator though. The other parts was a bit like reading a massively long Kafka novel without any of the humor and some shoehorned edginess

skip it tbh
No, thanks, I'll take my chances. I'd rather see for myself wether I like it or not than take the opinion of someone I don't know anything about, no offense intended. Chances are I'll like it, and if I don't, well, it's not like it's the end of the world. There's probably a million worse things I could do than read 1Q84.

Porcile

I really disliked Norwegian Wood. Absolutely hated how everyone was so self-obsessed and self-destructive.

LProtag

As much as I didn't think 1Q84 was a great Murakami novel, I still enjoyed it. I think if you're a fan of Murakami there's no real harm in reading it. It's just not his best.

daydream

Banned
Surprising to me that this only releases now in the US. It's clearly beneficial that they let the translator take his time with the translation, though.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I really disliked Norwegian Wood. Absolutely hated how everyone was so self-obsessed and self-destructive.

I've only read Norwegian Wood, South of the Border and Wind-Up, but yeah I liked SotB more than NW. It was also the first book of his I read so that might have something to do with it. For some reason I don't see SotB mentioned a lot in Murakami threads.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Does the US cover come with stickers? Or does it just have that one random sticker on it.

LProtag

Mine just came in the mail! Nice.

US cover is just a more interesting in person. The hand design on the front is see-through on the dust jacket and the book actually looks pretty cool when you take the dust jacket off.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Went ahead and ordered mine along with a copy of Sputnik Sweetheart after being absorbed in a good chunk of Wind-Up Bird earlier today. Both are due to arrive by Thursday, so I have a lot of work to do before then!

Ermac

NW is one of my favorite books ever. I din't like Wind-Up Bird too much. The writing and most of the story were great, but I thought the ending just fell flat on it's face and wasn't worth the 600 pages I put in.

NW is one of my favorite books ever. I din't like Wind-Up Bird too much. The writing and most of the story were great, but I thought the ending just fell flat on it's face and wasn't worth the 600 pages I put in.

I still have about 20 unanswered questions about Wind-Up Bird, and that's after my re-read lol
My only disappointment of the book is that there wasn't more Creta Kano and Cinnamon, I find both of those characters fascinating, and I love how they interact/speak with Okada.

LProtag

Here's some quick pictures. Also the color scheme and design really matches up well with the content of the book. Makes a lot more sense once you've started reading it. I actually kinda like the design now.

Here's some quick pictures. Also the color scheme and design really matches up well with the content of the book. Makes a lot more sense once you've started reading it. I actually kinda like the design now.

Thanks!
It looks much, much nicer here than on the Amazon page
I especially like the see-through element on the front

StMeph

I really like that cover over the US one.

Will probably end up double-dipping between print and digital again, just because I hate lugging around thick novels.

Osahi

Just wondering: does the english edition have the third part yet? Murakami added 200 pages or so later on. It feels different in tone and style, but it might answer some questions. (Dunno for sure. Read it 5 years agoand hardly rzmembet anything apart from loving every page of it)

Where are those covers from?
I think those are the latest print Vintage covers (UK) those covers are the ones you currently see in places like Waterstones here. Incidentally, I was in a Waterstones the other week and they had a whole section just of Murakami stuff, all with these designed covers.

LProtag

Yeah, the Amazon one just looks like a mockup of what the cover technically looks like. Much more eye catching and appealing in person.

Also I'm a few chapters in (about 80 pages) and I'm enjoying it so far.

Ermac

US cover does look nicer in those pics. Reminds me of those gel shoes you used to press on lol.

I think those are the latest print Vintage covers (UK) those covers are the ones you currently see in places like Waterstones here. Incidentally, I was in a Waterstones the other week and they had a whole section just of Murakami stuff, all with these designed covers.

Nice, I like how minimalist they are.

Porcile

I still have about 20 unanswered questions about Wind-Up Bird, and that's after my re-read lol
My only disappointment of the book is that there wasn't more Creta Kano and Cinnamon, I find both of those characters fascinating, and I love how they interact/speak with Okada.

Wind-up Bird is magic. The flashback on the Mongolian Steppe is one of my favourite bits of writing ever: classic Murakmai. Spoiler:
The guy being skinned alive: fucking hell,I still get the shivers!
The way he slowly sucks you in that meandering way, then unleashes an explosion of imagery which is either; surreal, violent, sexual or all three togther at the same time. No writer out there comes close. Though actually a lot of the credit has to go the translators. i'd love to be able to read one of his books in Japanese some day. I'm sure they're very different to the English translations.

Empty

Wind-up Bird is magic. The flashback on the Mongolian Steppe is one of my favourite bits of writing ever: classic Murakmai. Spoiler:
The guy being skinned alive: fucking hell,I still get the shivers!

it's been so long since i read wind-up i've forgotten nearly everything

except for that scene which is seared into my brain for eternity

i should re-read it actually. though i don't think i'll manage it in two-three days like blazingdarkness. wow.

Zekes!

Damn, I completely forgot about this. I'm opening a tab to order as we speak.

If we're throwing out our favourite Murakami works, I think mine would have to be after the quake, A Wild Sheep Chase/Dance Dance Dance, Underground, along with The Wind-up Bird Chronicle.

I was kind of disappointed by 1Q84, as it sputtered towards the end, so I'm curious to see how this turns out.

Dmax3901

So I entered the world of Murakami by reading Kafka on the Shore, which I enjoyed even though the ending got a little too metaphysical for me to fully grasp what was happening.

Which of his should I read next?

ramyeon

Double dipped on this one, pre-ordered it so I could get it on my Kindle last night and grabbed the hardcover UK edition as well.

So happy to be reading a Murakami book for the first time again, it's always an interesting experience (Although count me as one of the many who 1Q84 did very little for). I hadn't really read much about this one so I went into it pretty blind and from the first couple of chapters it reminds me a lot of the more grounded style of Norwegian Wood. Which is a good thing for me, although I do appreciate his more surreal works too.

Looking forward to diving into it more later today.

LProtag

I actually ended up reading over half the book today. I'm on 242/386. I'll probably finish tomorrow.

The themes seem to resonate well with me at this point in my life. Murakami explores the idea of how you perceive yourself versus how your friends perceive you in some very clever ways. At least, it seems like that's what he's trying to do. Obviously I'm not done with it yet. There's a sense of darkness and mystery that lingers throughout the book too and I'm really intrigued as to how it plays into this idea.

Well then, my copy arrived and was pleasantly surprised by the cover of it.

As shown above, it definitely looks a lot nicer in person than the mockup on Amazon's.

Hopefully I'll get around to starting this soon.

kick51

Banned
I'm not sure I've seen so much After Dark love in one place!

I love it. Perfectly captures of the feeling of those wee hours of the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom