• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Combo Breaker & Stunfest | Fighting Game Tournaments | Rosemont,IL + France May 22-24

That was a great tournament, from what I was able to watch

Already looking forward to next year, good stuff TheHadou and CurlyW and whoever else from the Combo Breaker team posts on GAF whom I can't remember and sorry about that

valeo

I liked MK9, but there is something about MKX that makes me want to play. Just seems a lot more fluid and the variations help a lot.

Revven

Hopefully next year they can get a venue that doesn't screw them over with the internet...

...hopefully

I enjoyed what I got to see, though, at least.

SuperBonk

Interesting to note that home turf has been defended in the last 3 MKX tournaments.

Digit in Texas Showdown
Honeybee in Toryuken
and now Dizzy in ComboBreaker

Is Corner play not considered neutral at all?

Justin called that it would be a corner game though.

I don't think it is.

This thing pushes corner to corner. Plus the way normals move forward, how much space is covered in moves, jabbing someone out of the air gets alot of damage, and block damage on normals and 50/50s everywhere.

I don't see the kind of neutral game i am used to (and want).

I don't think it is.

This thing pushes corner to corner. Plus the way normals move forward, how much space is covered in moves, jabbing someone out of the air gets alot of damage, and block damage on normals and 50/50s everywhere.

I don't see the kind of neutral game i am used to (and want).

Makes sense, MK is just....different pretty much with regards to how things work.

Mit-

Was Dizzy really a tester for MKX?

Wish he didn't win if so. I wish tournaments upheld rules such as not being able to compete in a game for a few months following its release if you've been playing it for seven months before anyone else touched it.

fader

Wish he didn't win if so. I wish tournaments upheld rules such as not being able to compete in a game for a few months following its release if you've been playing it for seven months before anyone else touched it.

are we really doing this AGAIN?

Oh come on, he BARELY won against SonicFox, who sure as hell isn't a tester. Being a tester doesn't automatically = God-tier at the game. Not sure if he was a tester, but it doesn't make a difference. Dizzy played phenomenally and deserved the win.

Mit-

are we really doing this AGAIN?
Didn't some tournaments actually exercise rules for this with previous NRS games?

Oh come on, he BARELY won against SonicFox, who sure as hell isn't a tester. Being a tester doesn't automatically = God-tier at the game. Not sure if he was a tester, but it doesn't make a difference. Dizzy played phenomenally and deserved the win.
And what if he would've got bodied by SonicFox had he the same amount of time with the game?

It's an impossible question to answer but I still feel like it's an iffy situation.

Didn't some tournaments actually exercise rules for this with previous NRS games?

I think some did but everyone realizes that a month after release is more than enough time to learn how to play a game. Especially when you can talk with others on the game over the internet.

a few MONTHS?? You way, way overrate testing.

Mit-

a few MONTHS?? You way, way overrate testing.
I think a lot of people underrate the value in a top player thoroughly exploring every character in the game for months in advance and having actual input on game balance. Truly learning fighting games and fleshing out a character takes time. 6 months versus 1 month is a pretty drastic difference.

Granted I have no idea if any of these rumors are true or in what capacity.

fader

they probably tested it for like a week. They were not hired as "real" QA Testers.

you cannot account player skill for a short time with a game. Also the game changes rapidly in testing, so what they played then is sure as hell different than what we are playing now. Also, the guys the called in for tested WERE ALREADY GREAT PLAYERS.

Dizzy did not do 1 week balance testing. He was a "real" QA tester. He's in the credits in that section(Aaron Davis).

But he's also one of the best NRS players and plays in a super strong offline scene. He was the best Johnny Cage player in the world. He won 3 MK9 majors. He's that good.

Tripon

I really don't care if employees of fighting game companies compete in tournaments. Like, that isn't an indicator that they will be good at fighting games.

I feel like that argument would have more traction if the person in question actually demonstrated a sizable knowledge gap compared to the people who went in "cold" on the game. He wasn't doing anything other top Raidens or Sonicfox doesn't know about, he just had better reads and execution.

The other end of the argument is that people who work on the game but who also compete for money are incentivized to change the game or withhold information that might influence game balance, but since he's not the dude actually coding stuff into the game it's entirely on the development team at NRS to decide where and how to take their feedback.

But yeah, this got covered when MK9 came out and when Injustice came out; it was stupid then and it's stupid now.

Top Bottom