• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! #8 / January 2012 - Happy New Year, Comic Book GAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

Nice. Hopefully Marvel will get off their stingy asses and upload that issue to their app.

These days, I only buy digital monthlies and hardbound trades.

The entire Marvel line goes online day and date in April, but that issue will probably be online by then Also did anyone order the hardcover online yet? Amazon and overstock have 2/8/2012 as the release date.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've been hearing a lot of positive buzz about Waid's run. I think I'll pick up the first hardbound trade. It collects issues 1 - 6, right?

I noticed that issue 8 is available on the Marvel comics app and it continues from where ASM #677 left off. I think I'll download those today. Was issue 7 a stand-alone book?

Stand alone and one of my favorite issues. Dat cover...

ASM 677 was beautiful too. Fell in love with Emma Rios when she did the Cloak and Dagger mini from Spider Island. Waid was pitch perfect with all three of the protagonists.

The entire Marvel line goes online day and date in April, but that issue will probably be online by then Also did anyone order the hardcover online yet? Amazon and overstock have 2/8/2012 as the release date.

Isn't Amazon usually a week or two behind with shipping trades? I thought that was just the usual as they offer such huge discounts off the MSRP that an LCS sells at.

And thanks for the tip about Marvel going full out with digital in April. I really hope they adapt DC's pricing of discounting month old books by $1.00, I love that.

jaxword

Are you referring to Guardian Devil? I thought that was a pretty great arc, and is considered one of the ten greatest DD stories ever told by most aficionados.

It was good and it was bad.

The good was the overall villain reveal and the madness behind it. That was decent psychology.

The bad was that Smith wrote his usual Catholic apologist attitude and made a smart LAWYER actually believe Pascal's Wager as a legitimate argument.

Alucard

Banned
It was good and it was bad.

The good was the overall villain reveal and the madness behind it. That was decent psychology.

The bad was that Smith wrote his usual Catholic apologist attitude and made a smart LAWYER actually believed Pascal's Wager as a legitimate argument.

I'll have to re-read it. It was the first Daredevil story that I ever read, and the one that began my love affair with the character. By the time I read it, DD was already up to issue 40 with the Bendis/Maleev run, and my love of the character continued to grow with each issue after.

Mr. Sam

By the time I read it, DD was already up to issue 40 with the Bendis/Maleev run, and my love of the character continued to grow with each issue after.

Possibly my favourite run on any comic ever - a tier above. I just ordered Guardian Devil off Amazon. I haven't read a bad DD book before; I'd hate to start now. Don't let me down, Smith!

YES! My shop finally got Ghostbusters #3 in. No idea why it took so long, but I'm glad it's here. Got that along with issue #4. Also got TMNT #6, and picked up Batman #5, which I missed out on.

I'm probably going back to the shop this weekend with a friend, so I'll get All-Star Western, Justice League, and Ghostbusters #5 then.

We're speaking today because of the piece I wrote on announced comics that have yet to be released, and your "All-Star Wonder Woman" was at the top of the list. After sorting out some miscommunication where it was listed as "presumed dead," you commented that it was "in a coma on a high, dark shelf." Since so many people were looking forward to it, could you explain how the project developed and ended up the way it has?

I was working with Geoff Johns on "All-Star Batman & Robin," originally. That was before Frank Miller and Jim Lee had the book. At some point someone at DC said "Why do we have Adam drawing 'All-Star Batman & Robin' when he should really be doing 'All-Star Wonder Woman?'" No one had a good answer for that, so they offered me "All-Star Wonder Woman." Geoff and I started hashing out the story, but when Geoff got so busy writing many regular DC projects, I ended up getting the all the creative chores for "All-Star Wonder Woman," with Geoff's blessing.

I would work on it, and then get sidetracked by single-illustration assignments, covers and such, because they pay faster. I'm really slow, and doing interior work that doesn't pay until you get lots of pages in the drawer isn't conducive to paying the bills. Especially when you're trying to buy your first home or your wife has a medical condition that requires a lot of money to take care of. "All-Star Wonder Woman" would get worked on in what is laughably referred to as my 'spare time.' I just ended up with less and less time to devote to it. Eventually, we all realized that it was taking forever, so we just all agreed to hold off on it 'til the time was right to do it properly.

LOL this book is never happening, satchwar

I'm still trying to figure out what floppies I want to ditch for trades and I think dropping both FF and Fantastic Four is one little chunk I could do for now. Between Bobillo's art on FF and the fact that I'm probably forgetting stuff month to month and not even taking into consideration how good other comics have become like Batman, WatXM, etc...

And I've gone back to trades for The Walking Dead and Invincible. I was still buying those big hardcovers on Invincible so I don't want to double dip anymore and I can just catch up with TWD trades that I skipped.

I'm really just trying to go back to reading what I consider top tier so I don't have disappointments anymore. The biggest DC surprise for me (besides Animal Man / Swamp Thing) is still probably Aquaman. It's just fun to read. Action Comics I've lost my love for after the first few issues when it was just Clark but knowing Morrison these last few issues will probably blow my mind in the future when I know what happens.

And I just realized that was one big random post but hey, what can you do? I caught up on my backlog today. Oh, and one final note. I'll give Secret Avengers another issue to see where that goes but as usual, this point one didn't blow me away and I'm still against the new Hawkeye costume.

Satch

Banned
LOL this book is never happening, satchwar

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHAHAHAIUOHWDkbfsg8ljnrcvhoic4bg58yoiunfdlknjcx

3GcR3.png

the chris

I'm still trying to figure out what floppies I want to ditch for trades and I think dropping both FF and Fantastic Four is one little chunk I could do for now. Between Bobillo's art on FF and the fact that I'm probably forgetting stuff month to month and not even taking into consideration how good other comics have become like Batman, WatXM, etc...
God that art was hideous, I had a hard time focusing on the story due to Valeria and Doom looking so bad.

I'll have to re-read it. It was the first Daredevil story that I ever read, and the one that began my love affair with the character. By the time I read it, DD was already up to issue 40 with the Bendis/Maleev run, and my love of the character continued to grow with each issue after.
I thought it wasn't bad but going from Miller omnibus to Miller omnibus to Smith to Bendis Omnibus (and later to bendis brubaker brubaker omnis) really underscored that, at his best, Smith is only an adequate writer.

jackdoe

Isn't Amazon usually a week or two behind with shipping trades? I thought that was just the usual as they offer such huge discounts off the MSRP that an LCS sells at.
Amazon definitely is and the price does offset it. But after discovering CheapGraphicNovels.com from another forum, I've pretty much jumped ship since they are cheaper most of the time and provide much better shipping packaging. The website looks sketchy as hell, and there is a flat shipping cost and it is media mail, but the savings offset it all (granted you have to buy about three Marvel HCs or one Omnibus to start seeing significant savings over Amazon). My first purchase from them just came in today, the four final volumes of Bucky Captain America from Brubaker's run and Absolute New Frontier, and I have to say, I am very pleased with the results.

noah111

Still Alive
Caught up on thew new Ultimate Spider-Man / X-Men / Ultimates issues, and i'm digging it all so far. Nice to see how intertwined they are, and where SM fits in timeline wise with the Ultimates/X-Men timelines.

Light week. Went and blew a bit extra on some back issues and a trade.

WHY DID NONE OF YOU COCK BRUISES POST THE DC BOOK OF THE WEEK?!

20688_400x600.jpg

Hawkman Omnibus

Geoff Johns's complete, acclaimed run on HAWKMAN, from issues #1-25, are collected in hardcover for the first time, along with JSA #56-58 and HAWKMAN SECRET FILES! These stories, also featuring the talents of James Robinson, Rags Morales, Patrick Gleason and many others, reintroduced Hawkman into the DCU as he tries to reunite with Hawkgirl.

But with no memory of their past lives together, Kendra wants nothing to do with Hawkman – that is, until she learns that the deaths of her parents years ago were actually murders, and she is forced to enlist Hawkman's help in unlocking the mystery and finding their killer!

DC Universe 688pg. Color Hardcover $75.00 US

SOOOO GOOD!

Satch

Banned
i'm dropping WW and i need a new book to fill that void. i think i'm going to start picking up batmang

i love diana and god i fucking hate bruce with every fiber of my being but this whole "record breaking book on ifanboy" thing is making me curious

and it sounds like he's getting his ass kicked a bunch so it sounds like it's right up my alley! :D

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm feeling weird for enjoying WW a lot while the long time fans of the character here are raging about it. Heh, COMIC BOOKS.

Batman is fucking good.

i'm dropping WW and i need a new book to fill that void. i think i'm going to start picking up batmang

i love diana and god i fucking hate bruce with every fiber of my being but this whole "record breaking book on ifanboy" thing is making me curious

and it sounds like he's getting his ass kicked a bunch so it sounds like it's right up my alley! :D

The art is what makes Batman good right now. When Capullo leaves, it's going to be missing something. Snyder is DC's newest golden boy though, so they'll probably keep giving good artists.

SSeMK.jpg

HURTS SO GOOD DIANA

TIGHTER

TIGHTER I SAID

OH GOD

NOW SQUEEEEEEEEEZE THEM

YES

tm24

Im reading Bendis's run on Daredevil.

So good.

After that i have to wait till Brubaker's run is released as paperback editions.

Possibly my favourite run on any comic ever - a tier above. I just ordered Guardian Devil off Amazon. I haven't read a bad DD book before; I'd hate to start now. Don't let me down, Smith!
I love you guys. My signed omnibuses are my most prized possessions

You just can't go wrong with greek gods shennanigans in my book. Hope he'll get around writing a meet-up between her and Hercules.

Btw, weren't you bashing DC recently? So you ARE enjoying one of their books! :p

I got back on board with a few of them on the $2 Digi Tip. I put a list up a little ways back. Batman, Batman & Robin, Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Aminal Man, Swamp Stylez, Flash

I would read Batman, but I will have to wait until 2013 with DC's horrible buy our lousy hardcover first - you know you're going to horse shit.

No DC.

Actually I'll just wait for the trade, and then I'll forget about it; and you'll lose another fucking sale. PROFIT?!

jackdoe

I would read Batman, but I will have to wait until 2013 with DC's horrible buy our lousy hardcover first - you know you're going to horse shit.

No DC.

Actually I'll just wait for the trade, and then I'll forget about it; and you'll lose another fucking sale. PROFIT?!
Haha. I'm the exact opposite. I hate TPB and I love HC. After all, paying $4 more for better paper and (sometimes) oversized pages isn't too bad.

Haha. I'm the exact opposite. I hate TPB and I love HC. After all, paying $4 more for better paper and (sometimes) oversized pages isn't too bad.

Get rid of the shitty dust jackets and I might entertain buying the damned things. Dust jackets are the worst.

Alternately, stop fucking strangling the market. You make your fans wait a year to maximize sales of your shitty format. Give me the TPB the same day or a month later. Not this year later horse shit.

Man, I misplaced the Wonder Woman issue before the tentacle monster cover. WTF?! Where the hell did it get to? :|

i thought you weren't going to buy wondy? ;)

I caved you dingy broad. Why do you think I've been posting about issues as they come out? :p

Dibs are called on the February Comic OT - if you funnybook zealots have plugs for black creators / characters feel free to PM me the title and blurb.

In the meantime - WHERE IN THE F*CK IS THIS ISSUE?! >:O

Last issue threw me for a loop. I need to read it again.

Unfortunately I feel for Spiderman Marvel Adventures. Well, I thought it was a different artist, and I hate the shitty Dodson school of drawing Black Cat. The fur is not on the seam you douches! >:|

Turns out it's a different artist, but it has FROG MAN in it. YEAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom