• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll

Banned
Batman #17

Someone needs to tell Snyder not to base a plot on almost entirely red herrings. The whole Joker story turned into a DC cash grab, to write the Joker you need to show you have balls, something Snyder didn't do.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So spoilers aside...what exactly changed at the end of Batman 17? I'm new to the series (read 1-17 only) and haven't read any of the other Bat books.

Did I miss something in the other stories?

Batman's all alone again, at least for now. No one may have died, but Bruce is still all alone.

Onemic

Comic shipment #2 came in. I went crazy and added a few extra TPB's

Got:

100 Bullets vol. 1
Astonishing X-Men ultimate collection vol. 1
Preacher vol. 1
Uncanny X-force: Deathlok Nation
Phonogram vol. 2

ElNarez

Banned
Batman #17

Someone needs to tell Snyder not to base a plot on almost entirely red herrings. The whole Joker story turned into a DC cash grab, to write the Joker you need to show you have balls, something Snyder didn't do.

Do you really need another story where Joker murders or severely maims people allied to the Batman? What you call lack of balls, I call commitment to not repeating what's come before. Same reason why the opening fight with every inmate in Arkham in Batman #1 only took one spread to be dealt with. It's been done. To get back to the Joker theme, it's not funny anymore.

Editors turning a story into an event is business as usual for Big Two comics. But since none of the tie-ins are necessary to understand what's happening I can't really see how one would use this against Batman #17.

So spoilers aside...what exactly changed at the end of Batman 17? I'm new to the series (read 1-17 only) and haven't read any of the other Bat books.

Did I miss something in the other stories?

maybe, I didn't read Red Hood or Titans but
well in Nightwing he broke out the Haly's Circus girl from jail and Joker gassed/killed her and the head clown guy that was helping him rebuild Amusement Mile. He also tore that place up a bit. Also I'm sure Barbara is probably still going to be bothered from him cutting off her moms finger putting her on a bomb to make her do what he wants and her brother helping him. I guess they're going to play with the not exactly trusting Bruce thing they used to do. But look at him half smile when he unwrapped Damians bandages!

I don't know I thought Nightwing, Batgirl and Batman and Robin were good parts in this. maybe just if you're into the characters

Comic shipment #2 came in. I went crazy and added a few extra TPB's

Got:

100 Bullets vol. 1
Astonishing X-Men ultimate collection vol. 1
Preacher vol. 1
Uncanny X-force: Deathlok Nation
Phonogram vol. 2

Read Preacher Vol. 1 and tell me you don't want to read the rest of the series immediately

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Except not, cause B&R 17 basically says "Damian will always choose to be with his dad."

It was better than Batman 17, too.

My man. *daps*

Yea, but at the same time it says things aren't going to be the way they were. It was all a dream at the end. Joker may not have killed anyone, but the family is dead. Even if they can all come back together it won't be the same. Joker got the last laugh.

Troll

Banned
Do you really need another story where Joker murders or severely maims people allied to the Batman? What you call lack of balls, I call commitment to not repeating what's come before. Same reason why the opening fight with every inmate in Arkham in Batman #1 only took one spread to be dealt with. It's been done. To get back to the Joker theme, it's not funny anymore.

Editors turning a story into an event is business as usual for Big Two comics. But since none of the tie-ins are necessary to understand what's happening I can't really see how one would use this against Batman #17.

Who said anything about murder or maiming? I didn't. Snyder wasn't even slightly creative in executing the last issue.
The faces in the ice were just trying way too hard. Did anyone really believe that he was going to cut off everyone's face? Classic case an author trying to outdo himself and not having any good ideas.
It read like bad fan fiction, honestly.

When have the Teen Titans had any direction since Johns left? I remember them hyping up the new series so much before it started and it fell flat on it's face immediately. What a load of crap.

ReiGun

Titans is in such an unfortunate situation. I don't know who decided all the Young Justice books need to be interrelated from day one, but I know they're a bad person who does bad things.

Yea, but at the same time it says things aren't going to be the way they were. It was all a dream at the end. Joker may not have killed anyone, but the family is dead. Even if they can all come back together it won't be the same. Joker got the last laugh.

The family as a whole is dead, but Bat Loner isn't exactly back cause Damian isn't gonna leave his pa.

Unless...Morrison kills him...

ElNarez

Banned

Hence the last page of Batman #17. Ha.

Who said anything about murder or maiming? I didn't. Snyder wasn't even slightly creative in executing the last issue.
The faces in the ice were just trying way too hard. Did anyone really believe that he was going to cut off everyone's face? Classic case an author trying to outdo himself and not having any good ideas.
It read like bad fan fiction, honestly.

Okay, I'll bite, what the fuck did you expect exactly?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've been reading all the positive reviews for Batman and It's making me pissed. These reviewers are actually trying to say this represents major changes to the Bat family? Gimme a fucking BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK.

They're saying that the Joker
won by driving a wedge between the family, but unless that shit was covered in tie ins, I'm not seeing it. Just as it was presented in the BATMAN book, there was no reason for all the Batkids to emo out like bitches at the end. That was just some lazy, cop out bullshit ending scene to showcase all this supposed OOOOoooh psychological trauma! OH NOES that the family was going thru. Fucking terrible.

Long term repercussions to this horseshit? I'm done buying Batman. How's that for long term repercussions.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The family as a whole is dead, but Bat Loner isn't exactly back cause Damian isn't gonna leave his pa.

And there you go.
Even if he doesn't, their relationship won't be the same after all this. Look at Dick, arguably he's the closest person to Bruce after Alfred and he couldn't even go inside after he drove all the way out to the mansion.

Troll

Banned
Hence the last page of Batman #17. Ha.

Okay, I'll bite, what the fuck did you expect exactly?

Is it bad to go into an issue like Batman #17 and think that Snyder might actually surprise you? That a writer would be capable of putting an ending to an otherwise solid story arc that didn't include some of the worst cliches in the history of comic books?

I hate nothing more on this earth than you, Joker. Nothing.
That dialog... ugh.

Is it bad to go into an issue like Batman #17 and think that Snyder might actually surprise you? That a writer would be capable of putting an ending to an otherwise solid story arc that didn't include some of the worst cliches in the history of comic books?

It's strange to me to see something so "meh" from Snyder, because I've been reading American Vampire since it started, and that book has always been pretty consistently awesome.

ReiGun

All this said, Synder said his next big story is about the Riddler. I love the Riddler, so I'm gonna stick around a little longer.

There's also gonna be some story about New Oracle Harper Row, but who gives a fuck?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
All this said, Synder said his next big story is about the Riddler. I love the Riddler, so I'm gonna stick around a little longer.

That doesn't start until April, next issue is the draw down. Capullo is on a break and we get more Harper Row.

There's also gonna be some story about New Orcale Harper Row, but who gives a fuck?

Don't diss Harper. It's funny how Capullo always seems to take a break when it's time to tell a story about her.

ReiGun

That doesn't start until April, next issue is the draw down. Capullo is on a break and we get more Harper Row.

Don't diss Harper. It's funny how Capullo always seems to take a break when it's time to tell a story about her.

I can wait till April.

Harper did nothing for me. Kind of annoying, tbh.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
It's strange to me to see something so "meh" from Snyder, because I've been reading American Vampire since it started, and that book has always been pretty consistently awesome.

DiDio: Scott, we're sick of you wasting all your A material on that fucking vampire book nobody buys until the trades. We need your TOP SHIT on Batman because our loyal, retarded, readers ONLY BUY ONE BOOK A MONTH and it's this one and if we lose them it's all over for us!

So with AmVam on the backburner, Swamp Thing thrown to the dogs and practically every other DC book under some kind of creative duress all the eggs are officially in this basket.

ElNarez

Banned
DiDio: Scott, we're sick of you wasting all your A material on that fucking vampire book nobody buys until the trades. We need your TOP SHIT on Batman because our loyal, retarded, readers ONLY BUY ONE BOOK A MONTH and it's this one and if we lose them it's all over for us!

So with AmVam on the backburner, Swamp Thing thrown to the dogs and practically every other DC book under some kind of creative duress all the eggs are officially in this basket.

WHOA WHOA WHOA. Of all your crazy-ass statements full of nonsense, this one takes the cake. Make like the DC-6 diner and explain yourself.

JJD

Batman and Robin 15 and 16 were more fun, creepy and beautifully draw than any of the main A Death in the Family books.

Come at me Capullo fans!

LiQuid!

WHOA WHOA WHOA. Of all your crazy-ass statements full of nonsense, this one takes the cake. Make like the DC-6 diner and explain yourself.

lmao wat? Of all my crazy-ass statements full of nonsense that's one of the few that isn't crazy-ass or nonsensical. I know you're aware of all the editorially mandated creative roulette there. Did you maybe misunderstand me?

frye

Eh, I dunno. American Vampire comes from a very similar place as Batman I think, which is to say they're... okay. They're both usually well-drawn comics with clever writing once in a while but mostly filled with WORDS WORDS WORDS.

I can wait till April.

Harper did nothing for me. Kind of annoying, tbh.

EPIC BAT FAIL

ElNarez

Banned
lmao wat? Of all my crazy-ass statements full of nonsense that's one of the few that isn't crazy-ass or nonsensical. I know you're aware of all the editorially mandated creative roulette there. Did you maybe misunderstand me?

No, I mean, in what world do you live in where most of DC books are under some kind of creative duress.

LiQuid!

No, I mean, in what world do you live in where most of DC books are under some kind of creative duress.

The one where 75% of their books have new creators on any given month.

tim1138

Titans is in such an unfortunate situation. I don't know who decided all the Young Justice books need to be interrelated from day one, but I know they're a bad person who does bad things.

Which is totally gonna happen in two weeks.

Damien is actually developing into a character outside of being Batman's kid as a plot device. He's becoming a person with wants, needs, fears, hopes, etc.

Killing him off right as he's beginning to actually grow would be the shittiest.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Damien is actually developing into a character outside of being Batman's kid as a plot device. He's becoming a person with wants, needs, fears, hopes, etc.

Killing him off right as he's beginning to actually grow would be the shittiest.

Yea but if you were planning on doing it that would be the perfect time, just as he comes into his own before the character can get messed up by someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom