• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

VanWinkle

Started Secret Six Vol 4 last night. End of the pre-N52 series. Forgot how much I love this book. I would love to have an omnibus of it some day.

Hagi

Sunstone by Greg Land would be a sight to see. Shit he probably has about 50 reference folders full of screen-caps he could use.

Seen "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" with my father and "The Jungle Book" with my little sister this New Year's Day. Sitting down in a cinema for "Arrival" now.

Have a nice evening~
"Arrival" was great.

Made me long for a book series starting with a reimagined first meeting between Mar-Vell and Danvers. Might do a short write-up tomorrow. I imagine 5 volumes. Act 1-3(From Space, From Earth, In All), Epilogue, Legacy.

Title: "The Marvel"

And Astonishing X-Men gives me another disappointing tale with Astonishing X-Men Vol. 8: Children of the Brood. Well, half of it was disappointing. The Gage/Bobillo issues were, but we got Broo out of it and some decent action, even if Bobillo's art is atrocious. The Asmus/Yardin/Walta issue was enjoyable. Just Emma Frost helping Danger to be human.

Another mediocre tale that I'm still deciding if it was better or worse than Way's stint. I am sadder on this day.

And Astonishing X-Men gives me another disappointing tale with Astonishing X-Men Vol. 8: Children of the Brood. Well, half of it was disappointing. The Gage/Bobillo issues were, but we got Broo out of it and some decent action, even if Bobillo's art is atrocious. The Asmus/Yardin/Walta issue was enjoyable. Just Emma Frost helping Danger to be human.

Another mediocre tale that I'm still deciding if it was better or worse than Way's stint. I am sadder on this day.

reading post-Whedon Astonishing X-Men

IN 2017

Messi

Sex Criminals might have a decent release schedule if it had an artist who didn't think he was a writer

Rocafort completed his 4th sketch book.

This was his first sketch 4 years ago:
2VNknRs.jpg
I really hope he does an art book. He has so much material.

reading post-Whedon Astonishing X-Men

IN 2017
I figured "why not?" The Astonishing line only has about twelve volumes and then turns into Amazing X-Men which only has about two. It'd be nice to find a hidden gem. A run that's good, but no one talks about it. Ellis's short run post-Whedon was pretty dope. So it's not all terrible.

Plus it's be nice to read an entire line that lasts for more than twelve issues.

Most of the good things people say about Monstress is that it looks like something out of Final Fantasy. I don't hear too much about the story.

Because the art is the thing that's most immediately striking about it and the thing that can be commented on in a single sentence. Be mindful of the 140-character-or-less-driven world we live in these days.

Sex Criminals might have a decent release schedule if it had an artist who didn't think he was a writer

Wow. Sick burn. Though I don't think Zdarsky is actually a bad writer. And Sex Criminals isn't so good a book that I'd get salty over missing it.

Rocafort completed his 4th sketch book.

This was his first sketch 4 years ago:

I really hope he does an art book. He has so much material.

He has some really brilliant stuff in those sketchbooks.

Wow, what happened to Clean Room? It was good through the first 6 issues or so, before it began to stumble. And the last couple of issues are just bad.

It gives the impression that Simone didn't expect it to go more than an arc. When it did, she just started pulling stuff out of her ass. Disappointing.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
2017 is off to a good start. Just had to put one of my cats to sleep. RIP Jibberjabber. :(

Also I put hole in my computer monitor with my fist so I'm going to need a new one of those. But that was my fault and unrelated to my cat.

Messi

Because the art is the thing that's most immediately striking about it and the thing that can be commented on in a single sentence. Be mindful of the 140-character-or-less-driven world we live in these days.

Wow. Sick burn. Though I don't think Zdarsky is actually a bad writer. And Sex Criminals isn't so good a book that I'd get salty over missing it.

He has some really brilliant stuff in those sketchbooks.

Sex criminals is better than 90% of books on the stands.

Messi

The constant delays have killed the comic for me, isnt even back until February either

I'd rather they delay it than force a book they aren't feeling. See 90% of all image books after the first arc.

Just read it in arcs. As all image comics should be. Singles were a mistake.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'd rather they delay it than force a book they aren't feeling. See 90% of all image books after the first arc.

Just read it in arcs. As all image comics should be. Singles were a mistake.

yeah, I seem to be reading more and more books as arcs, I just enjoy em more that way

TheFlow

Banned
Sex criminal first 10 maybe 11 is great comics sometimes good. After that and it is just meh.

I agree some books kinda become eh after the first arc from image like birthright. Still hyped for sex criminals to return.

Foofaraw

Knight Errant: Aflame 1-5

Um. I wanted some good fashion, Old Republic hyjinks. I guess it had some of that. One of the Sith Lords in the book at least feels uniquely crazy/evil. A complete narcissist to who's line of logic brought him to believe he is so fantastic, he must be God, and everyone else is an illusion he created to amuse himself.

The art, though. Feels like Land style trace work. Not great. Actively mediocre. I might read Deluge, but I should probably read Vision instead.

I figured "why not?" The Astonishing line only has about twelve volumes and then turns into Amazing X-Men which only has about two. It'd be nice to find a hidden gem. A run that's good, but no one talks about it. Ellis's short run post-Whedon was pretty dope. So it's not all terrible.

Plus it's be nice to read an entire line that lasts for more than twelve issues.

The modern X-Men deep cut I like to point towards is BKV's Ultimate X-Men run. He was supposed to just be a fill-in for four issues until Bryan Singer got on the book. Yes, THAT Bryan Singer. But that never materialized, so BKV stayed on the book alongside some fine artists like Brandon Peterson, Adam Kubert, and Stuart Immonen did the last 12 issues. Its mostly self-contained and accessible. After Mark Millar's unlikable caricatures and Bendis'...whatever, BKV finally gives the Ultimate X-Men some strong characterizations, and his reboot of the X-Villians is quite entertaining. Great team dynamics, strong artwork, effectively uses sub-plots inside the main arcs to build reader interest and actually come to a real conclusion in the last story arc. Its all the things people say they like about X-Men team books, so why not give it a read?

also you can see the context for this hilarious pair of panels

GRDYp88.png

KRJjuoP.jpg

Messi

Whoa, an optimist!

I've never read it. I assumed you were picking it for the covers.

You should read it. I read all the boom books I featured.

Supposedly they have been banking issues of Sex Criminals for quite a while in order to have a regular schedule.

Top Bottom