• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are also underground and that princess is made of fire and is always aflame. What part of that image screams Catwoman to you?

Actually, just looking at that picture with no other information, I would swear that Catwoman fell into Fables in some weird DC/Vertigo crossover.

jaxword

zGrft2Y.jpg

a0zNHc3.gif

Nocenti's Catwoman a great companion piece.

Any of the 3 original Harley Quinn series books.

I was thinking about Harley. I know you're not serious about the Nocenti trades.

If you haven't read it yet read rat queens. Or look at getting the recent power girl trade

Haha, I was right, I do have it already. I ordered the Rat Queens TPB with my last IST order since it was only $5, but I read it monthly anyway. And the PG stuff, I have the original trades of. Both Conner and Winnick's runs.

I'm 9 issues into Uncanny X-Force and it might be one of the most fantastic super hero comics I have ever read so far! I love this team.

Messi

I was thinking about Harley. I know you're not serious about the Nocenti trades.

I am totally serious about the 3 Harley books. They are great fun in the same vein as the Batman Animated series. Some great Harley and Ivy issues and best of all harleys classic costume. Lovely artstyle fitting harley. Get the first one and go from there.

I own all the catwoman trades so far :( don't get them.

tim1138

I haven't done a list post in awhile, so here's me this week:

GREEN ARROW #30
THE PHANTOM STRANGER #18

BATWOMAN VOLUME 4: THIS BLOOD IS THICK
FEAR AGENT LIBRARY EDITION VOLUME 1

CorvoSol

Finished Spider-Island. For 4 bucks that was actually a pretty great value. Loved the Venom parts, which is funny, cuz I was never that big of a fan of Venom. The writing was just really great for those parts. And the rest of the event was just good, clean fun. No nonsense of Super-Heroes fighting each other over silly ideals or whatever, just the good guys teaming up to fight a bunch of crazy spider monsters and save the day.

Carlie's melt-down at the end was kiiiiiiinda contrived, and if I was Pete I'da been waaaaay angrier at Dr. Strange. Like "Dude, really? When has your magic ever been helpful to me when I need it to?" Now Carlie gets to live with her embarrassing tattoo even more than before!

Frickin' Marvel tearing at the heart-strings with that moment on the Empire State Building where MJ mentions she loves Peter and he doesn't even hear it, but that's life, I guess.

Really loved The Jackal. His design wasn't my thing, but he was just so nutty that he was the perfect foe for it all. Spider-Queen was the bigger monster for the event, but Jackal was the one I looked forward to seeing in scenes.

This event was actually a pretty good one to dive in on, I feel. Walk me through the who is who of Spider-Man, set the status quo at 0 by the end of the arc, and brief explanations of what the heck happened when I wasn't looking to let me get through the shout outs to continuity I don't know jack about.

Art was pretty nice, minus that whole thing about mouths, but that's what that is and all. Definitely a well spent 4 bucks.

tim1138

Infinite Crisis. The DC themed MOBA. I've been playing it for the last day or so. The "Atomic" characters are from Earth-86 (I believe?) They are the survivors of a Nuclear War.

Is a MOBA some kind of PC game? I don't really keep up on gaming all that much anymore.

Eldren

I finished the Winter Soldier collection this afternoon, Brubaker's first Cap trade, just in time to see the movie this evening (which is really really good by the way, but I won't talk about it here in case of spoilers for other people.)

It felt like it started off a bit of a slow-burn story, with a lot of flashbacks, but then it got to the interlude issue and it ramped up really quickly from there. I liked the use of multiple artists to convey a sense of time (Michael Lark's flashbacks vs. Steve Epting's present day), and even the interlude, which I was worried would be terrible, was actually really good. I thought that issue really nailed the emotional beats and the page where
Jack Monroe hallucinates Bucky climbing out of his mouth and shedding his skin
was brilliant. Some great twists and turns along the way, especially the last issue, with Lukin. Although I do wonder how effective the main plot point would have been if I didn't already know it in advance. I imagine it must have been a bit of a shock for those reading it monthly. Anyway, I've got the next two trades on my shelf - Red Menace and Death Of Captain America - but I think I'll wait and read those later.

I've just started Avengers Arena next which I'm very excited to properly dive into. Love the art so far, the colours really pop. I don't know anything about the Avengers Arena or Runaways characters but I'm hoping I'll be able to pick it up as I go along. Do I need to know anything in advance or can I press on regardless?

Finished Spider-Island. For 4 bucks that was actually a pretty great value. Loved the Venom parts, which is funny, cuz I was never that big of a fan of Venom. The writing was just really great for those parts.

Flash Thompson Venom is Best Venom. I didn't think they'd ever be able to rehabilitate that character after all the awful crap they did with the symbiotes in the late '90s, but damn, they did.

Glad to hear you liked the event. I am getting ready to dive in myself...I had read the Venom parts but not the main event.

CorvoSol

Flash Thompson Venom is Best Venom. I didn't think they'd ever be able to rehabilitate that character after all the awful crap they did with the symbiotes in the late '90s, but damn, they did.

Glad to hear you liked the event. I am getting ready to dive in myself...I had read the Venom parts but not the main event.

Yeah, I didn't expect to like Venom but it was really good. Now I need to think about which Spider-Man arc to see next. If I had infinite money I'd just use this as a springboard to read everything after this and get caught up on Spider-Man.

Now I need to think about which Spider-Man arc to see next. If I had infinite money I'd just use this as a springboard to read everything after this and get caught up on Spider-Man.

I'd get started on Superior Spider-Man if I were you. But make sure to read the last arc of Amazing Spider-Man first.

tim1138

Did anyone play the Deadpool game on PS3/Xbox360? I got it from the library today and played for a couple hours this afternoon. It's like the Devil May Cry games but with Deadpool, it's pretty fun but seems super short. Based on the chapter listing I'm already half way through the game, I would have been pissed if I'd have spent $60 on a 5-6 how long have. I'm not sure if Daniel Way was involved with the game, but it's definitely his version of the character, with the two competing voices in his head and stuff.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Did anyone play the Deadpool game on PS3/Xbox360? I got it from the library today and played for a couple hours this afternoon. It's like the Devil May Cry games but with Deadpool, it's pretty fun but seems super short. Based on the chapter listing I'm already half way through the game, I would have been pissed if I'd have spent $60 on a 5-6 how long have. I'm not sure if Daniel Way was involved with the game, but it's definitely his version of the character, with the two competing voices in his head and stuff.

He helped write it. I got it for a discount on a steam sale while it was still up. It's a fun game.

ElNarez

Banned
Fraction is pitching an Adventure Time comic to boom based off idea his son had.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03...-son-and-on-turning-down-x-men-1-three-times/

And so, Henry Leo Fraction got his second ever gig in comics.

(Actual Fact: His first ever gig was naming throwaway mutant Animax in Battle of the Atom.)
(Other Actual Fact: Animax was created by Olivia Bendis.)
(Other Other Actual Fact: Rafa you won't ever get your shot because they're keeping all the shots for their kids.)

Loona

I haven't kept up with this thread lately, but "Nemo: The Roses of Berlin" (new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen book by Alan Moore) is already out, and so are the Jess Nevins annotations (handy for the german text).

Good stuff all around - appears to be the 2nd in a sub-triology focused on Janni Dakkar (new captain Nemo, the original's daughter; intentionally or not, one of the very few female, dark-skinned, middle-aged married protagonists of a comic I can think of), apparently following a theme of dealing with family issues: in the previous book, Heart of Ice, she attempts to retrace her deceased father's steps in the Antartic; in this one, she attempts to rescue her daughter and son-in-law in Berlin (mostly from villains from old black and white movies like Metropolis), and the following book seems likely to cap it all off with a trip to a place called Spectralia, filled with ghosts of the pasts.

It's interesting to note that in a previous League book she appeared as her older self refusing the possibility of immortality while talking to that book's protagonists, and how the topic is addressed here when it comes up.

Owzers

Batman #29: Stop killing Bruce Wayne's parents. DC is where fun goes to die.

well, Wonder Woman was still pretty good when last i left it at issue 15, though
random zeus baby being taken to hell-ish isn't exactly jubilant, but it still carries an adventurous tone

i received my Green Arrow Lemire trade from my last dcbs shipment, i'm going to read an issue of it now instead of finishing my monthly issues because there has to be more dc books i like, there has to....

there has to.

Maybe there has not to.

Omg so funny in Uncanny X-Force omnibus.

When Deadpool is being manipulated by Father while Fantomex is being beaten, and Father tells him that he is going to kiss him and tuck him in and Deadpools face of realization that Fathers words sounds terrible.

So good.

Yeah the last Amazing Spider-man arc is essential to Superior Spider-Man.

Yeah, I got to something like issue 17 of SSM before realizing I needed to back up a bit. But I went all the way back to the beginning of Big Time. I'm hoping there will be a sale soon so I can close the gap...

Avengers and New Avengers are so fucking boring, jesus christ. Hickman should go pursue his true passions and write a dictionary. Leave comics to true superstars like Bendis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom