• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mother of god that's a lot of reading material. Cheers guys.
3AQmK.gif

Hey guys this is probably the best place to ask. I'm looking for some good non-super hero comics. I've just gone through Y: The Last Man in the span of a week and there's now a huge void in my life having finished that. I'd like to fill that with a few other good comics. To give more of a background, I'm currently reading Saga, Hawkeye, The Walking Dead and Revival.

Fables and American Vampire

I warned ya'll brahs about Pretty Deadly. Kelly Sue cannot write comics. Three was waaaaayyy better but got little press. Letter 44 was waaaayyy better and fot little press. Vertigo annihilated this month.

Gillen's Iron Man run is the reason why DC editors wield so much power.

I warned ya'll brahs about Pretty Deadly. Kelly Sue cannot write comics. Three was waaaaayyy better but got little press. Letter 44 was waaaayyy better and fot little press. Vertigo annihilated this month.

Gillen's Iron Man run is the reason why DC editors wield so much power.

I couldn't finish Letter 44. I put it on my pull list because I saw "Albequerque" on the cover.

It was...not what I expected.

Three had bad art so I didn't bother picking it up. (See also: Uber)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Hey guys this is probably the best place to ask. I'm looking for some good non-super hero comics. I've just gone through Y: The Last Man in the span of a week and there's now a huge void in my life having finished that. I'd like to fill that with a few other good comics. To give more of a background, I'm currently reading Saga, Hawkeye, The Walking Dead and Revival.

Check out We3 and The Unwritten.

So there's an... well, I'll call it "interesting" theory going about regarding that "Ms." teaser that Marvel put out and the next phase of Marvel NOW!. It's been suggested by more than one person that
the "Ms." references Angela, who is getting rebranded as the new Ms. Marvel, and solicitations suggest that there is indeed a new character taking the name. But what if, as this individual suggests, the rabbit hole goes even deeper? What if Angela-now-Ms-Marvel is really... Jean Grey?

Grasping much? What do you folks think?

Grasping like jumping to the conclusion that She-Xorn was a resurrected adult Jean? Hell yes.

So I finally got around to Superman/Batman #4. Were the two worlds depicted Earth 1 and 2? That would make a lot of sense when it comes to how Darkseid devastated Earth 2 but failed to invade Earth 1.

Eldren

Ok so the first omnibus of Brubaker's Cap (issues 1-25 plus 65th Anniversary Special and Winter Kills one shot, 744 pages) is on Amazon for ~£95 used, or £153 new. The second is, again, ~£150 new but at least £100 used, and it's about 280 pages shorter. The third volume is super cheap so that's fine. I think I'll shop around to see if I can pick up those first two omnibuses a bit cheaper somewhere.

Owzers

Ok so the first omnibus of Brubaker's Cap (issues 1-25 plus 65th Anniversary Special and Winter Kills one shot, 744 pages) is on Amazon for ~£95 used, or £153 new. The second is, again, ~£150 new but at least £100 used, and it's about 280 pages shorter. The third volume is super cheap so that's fine. I think I'll shop around to see if I can pick up those first two omnibuses a bit cheaper somewhere.

How far did the Ultimate Collection paperbacks go? That's probably a much better value.

also, the whole run is up on Marvel Unlimited in case you just wanted to read it.

Eldren

How far did the Ultimate Collection paperbacks go? That's probably a much better value.

also, the whole run is up on Marvel Unlimited in case you just wanted to read it.

Ooh, good call. I wasn't sure if they had collected everything or if they'd missed things out, but from the looks of it:
Issues 1-9, 11-14 (not sure where 10 is)
I think this is 15-21 and the 65th Anniversary special
22-42 and Winter Kills one shot

Then you've got The Man With No Face, Road To Reborn and the relaunched series, plus the Winter Soldier series. Only 3 Ultimate Collections it looks like, but they're a damn sight better value for money. Thanks for reminding me.

#10 was a House of M tie-in, nothing to do with Brubaker's story

The first 50 issues are more or less pretty damn good, it's like a mix of “24″-like action and intrigue (thanks in large part to Epting’s strong cinematic pages and Brubaker's pulpy dialog) alongside…let’s call it “comic booky sci-fi fun. Like they got some crazy shit that happens in the book, and the way its presented it seems very grave and dramatic, and then you stop and think about it its like "holy shit Captain America is fighting a Nazi super-soldier inside a giant robot destroying this city".

Like, if I told you that they brought Bucky back from the dead as a brainwashed cyborg assassin for the Soviet Union, who would then go on to take over as Captain America when Steve Rogers is dead...you would think that was the worst goddamn story in the world.

But its actually totally awesome! You don't even miss Steve when he kicks it halfway through the run.

Book loses something after Epting leaves and Captain America Reborn, some stories are good, some not so much, but most of it still worth reading, particularly Two Americas and Gulag. The final Steve Rogers Captain America run was a bit of a dud, unfortunately. Brubaker's not great at straight-ahead superhero stuff, he needs to temper it with his noir sensibilities or he needs somebody like Fraction to assist(he admitted Fraction did most of the writing by the second half of their great Immortal Iron Fist run). The Winter Soldier stuff goes back to that feel of the first 50 issues, its good stuff.

I couldn't finish Letter 44. I put it on my pull list because I saw "Albequerque" on the cover.

It was...not what I expected.

Three had bad art so I didn't bother picking it up. (See also: Uber)
How do you not finish it? Its got intrigue brah. It's just at a different pace.

And Ryan Kelly a bad artist?. The schway?

And I'm in on Angela getting her own book. Just doubt she will be called Ms Marvel that's just too.....uggghhhh....

Owzers

Looking through my dcbs unshipped items list...

Danger Club
Hell Yeah
Mudman

Have you seen these books?

I also wish half the books i read were cancelled so i could stop buying them. Your disappointment is necessary to make up for my lack of being able to cut anything outside of one book every 3 months. I have all the issues of Mind the Gap and Revival, i've only read the first issue of Revival so far between the two. Which one is better?

Looking through my dcbs unshipped items list...

Danger Club
Hell Yeah
Mudman

Have you seen these books?

I also wish half the books i read were cancelled so i could stop buying them. Your disappointment is necessary to make up for my lack of being able to cut anything outside of one book every 3 months. I have all the issues of Mind the Gap and Revival, i've only read the first issue of Revival so far between the two. Which one is better?

Hell Yeah is on my pull list, but I can't tell you the last time I've seen an issue. It had to have been at least six months ago at this point.

I'm also curious about Mind the Gap and Revival. Haven't read either, but I'm interested.

Village

I mentioned something about this earlier, I am working on a bunch of batmun crap, and right now its harley.

Anyways, Got some questions that for all those who know than me on this subject.

Besides Ivy, has Harley ever hung out with any other DC female alot, hero or villian. Or is does she kind of get along with everyone.

What is harley doing currently?

These are 3 highly undetailed exggerated pictures of some outfit I made being used for something else, Which hair color do you all prefer.

And lastly

The Top DC women and or girls, doing a ladies picture later.

ElNarez

Banned
So SS got better? I read the first issue and thought, "wow this is poop from a butt" and haven't picked up any other issues.

I don't know if it's technically better, but things are happening to characters now, so we have situations and conflicts, and I think it's enjoyable if Chaykin comics about slick guys with square jaws and sexy women being scumbags at one another are your thing.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm so glad the Daredevil creative team is sticking around. I don't think I could take another team splitting up right now, after the Batwoman fiasco. I'm buying every issue of their run and creating a mosaic of it on my wall. That, Saga, Hawkeye and DD created a personal golden age. It's absolutely the best time period in my 30+ years for comics. DD staying cohesive is like finding out that Santa is real.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm so glad the Daredevil creative team is sticking around. I don't think I could take another team splitting up right now, after the Batwoman fiasco. I'm buying every issue of their run and creating a mosaic of it on my wall. That, Saga, Hawkeye and DD created a personal golden age. It's absolutely the best time period in my 30+ years for comics. DD staying cohesive is like finding out that Santa is real.

So am I, then again Marvel doesn't seem like they'd just ditch a creative team that's doing well for no real reason.

You're so right bro! Although I got into Comics just a year ago, I'm reading exactly the same comics and I love them. Those three plus enjoying atomic robo for it's pure innocent fun making me pretty happy these days.

BROFIST.

IrishNinja

damn, well at least your taste in comics is solid! haha, co-signing all of this

Read Rat Queens(1-2) and Zero 1-2 yesterday. I thought they were both pretty damn good. Havent really read anything like Rat Queens, with the RPG style fights, looking forward to #3.

Can we talk about Satellite Sam for a moment?

satsam04-cover-38c81.jpg

Because I LOVE Satellite Sam. It's quickly become one of my favorite, most-looked-forward-to books every month. Fraction is telling this great, well-crafted "sex & murder" mystery, and wrapping it up in these interweaving plots of TV lies and dirty secrets and sordid affairs, with a varied cast of characters who are as genuine and believable as the make-believe world they create each day is so cheesily fake. It's world-constructing stuff that fully immerses me into the bygone days of cheap television serial drama. And Howard Chaykin is PERFECT for this book. I know there are critics out there who rip him apart these days for his colored stuff, but in black-and-white it is gorgeous and expressive, with just the right undertones of sleaze for this tale while still being restrained and avoiding the vulgar excesses of his own devices like Black Kiss.

Again, I love this book and am onboard for wherever it's taking me, whether that's to the stars or a backwater motel.

Can we talk about Satellite Sam for a moment?

Because I LOVE Satellite Sam. It's quickly become one of my favorite, most-looked-forward-to books every month. Fraction is telling this great, well-crafted "sex & murder" mystery, and wrapping it up in these interweaving plots of TV lies and dirty secrets and sordid affairs, with a varied cast of characters who are as genuine and believable as the make-believe world they create each day is so cheesily fake. It's world-constructing stuff that fully immerses me into the bygone days of cheap television serial drama. And Howard Chaykin is PERFECT for this book. I know there are critics out there who rip him apart these days for his colored stuff, but in black-and-white it is gorgeous and expressive, with just the right undertones of sleaze for this tale while still being restrained and avoiding the vulgar excesses of his own devices like Black Kiss.

Again, I love this book and am onboard for wherever it's taking me, whether that's to the stars or a backwater motel.

It may be well crafted and stuff, but all the images I see of the, not even women, but women parts just makes it smack of objectifying yuck to me.

It may be well crafted and stuff, but all the images I see of the, not even women, but women parts just makes it smack of objectifying yuck to me.

I feel like I would like this book a lot more if Chaykin wasn't drawing it. Dude has little range to begin with, but put him in a black and white environment and he basically has no range.

Owzers

I'm going to alternate reading issues of Revival and Mind the Gap until i pick a winner.

Mind the Gap #1 reminded me of Morning Glories, not only because they share an artist, but the mentality of the book being a "clues clues, there be clues. Vague things are said, try to pick up on them." I'm rooting for this book to be good, and i have the next 13 issues on hand for it to do so. On to Revival #2!

The covers are the most objectifying part of each issue, I assure you. There are recurring images of
photographs of women dressed as scantily as on the cover, full body shots of them posing in lingerie; however, those pictures are clues and part of the main character's murder investigation. The photos were taken by his father, the titular "Satellite Sam," who was leading a secret life known only to a few, and one of the women in those photos knows the truth about his death.
Beyond that, well, it's a series set in the 1950s and thus reflective of cultural gender norms of that era, while at the same time challenging those norms in the way you'd expect a writer like Fraction to without breaking them completely. I won't deny that because the artwork is Chaykin there's an exploitative quality about some of the artwork, but it's not really titillating or vulgar; it's not for its own sake.

This is not Black Kiss.

ElNarez

Banned
I feel like I would like this book a lot more if Chaykin wasn't drawing it. Dude has little range to begin with, but put him in a black and white environment and he basically has no range.

I think it would not work at all without Chaykin because it's literally made for him. There's no one in comics that's able to do sleazy scumbags with square jaws and sultry ladies in sordid situations better than him. Spike's said everything I meant to say about it with more talent.

Speaking of things starting with S: Sex Criminals #2. I don't know what it was, maybe the amazing amount of jokes put in all the scenes at the sex shop, maybe it's the fact that I could identify with the sexual awakening of a dude better, maybe it's because things are kicking off for real, but whoa that was a cool comic book.

Give any of these a try: Elephantmen, Scalped, DMZ, Star Wars, Okko, Mouse Guard or maybe some Hercules.

Eldren

Haha, I swear I said this right after you asked!

Haha sorry man! I must have missed it. Thanks anyway though!

#10 was a House of M tie-in, nothing to do with Brubaker's story

The first 50 issues are more or less pretty damn good, it's like a mix of “24″-like action and intrigue (thanks in large part to Epting’s strong cinematic pages and Brubaker's pulpy dialog) alongside…let’s call it “comic booky sci-fi fun. Like they got some crazy shit that happens in the book, and the way its presented it seems very grave and dramatic, and then you stop and think about it its like "holy shit Captain America is fighting a Nazi super-soldier inside a giant robot destroying this city".

Like, if I told you that they brought Bucky back from the dead as a brainwashed cyborg assassin for the Soviet Union, who would then go on to take over as Captain America when Steve Rogers is dead...you would think that was the worst goddamn story in the world.

But its actually totally awesome! You don't even miss Steve when he kicks it halfway through the run.

Book loses something after Epting leaves and Captain America Reborn, some stories are good, some not so much, but most of it still worth reading, particularly Two Americas and Gulag. The final Steve Rogers Captain America run was a bit of a dud, unfortunately. Brubaker's not great at straight-ahead superhero stuff, he needs to temper it with his noir sensibilities or he needs somebody like Fraction to assist(he admitted Fraction did most of the writing by the second half of their great Immortal Iron Fist run). The Winter Soldier stuff goes back to that feel of the first 50 issues, its good stuff.

Excellent, thanks a lot for all this info. Glad to know #10 isn't important, I was worried I'd be missing something. This all sounds really good. So if I'm not too bothered about the post-Reborn stuff, could I just read everything before the relaunch (1-50, I think) and then skip straight to Winter Soldier? That sounds like something I'd be happy with. Would that work?

Excellent, thanks a lot for all this info. Glad to know #10 isn't important, I was worried I'd be missing something. This all sounds really good. So if I'm not too bothered about the post-Reborn stuff, could I just read everything before the relaunch (1-50, I think) and then skip straight to Winter Soldier? That sounds like something I'd be happy with. Would that work?

Yeah, in fact there's this great "Bucky Barnes, This is Your Life!" kinda of story with excellent Samnee artwork that would get you up to speed on Winter Soldier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom