• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Commandos 2 HD - Censorship concious decision

MMaRsu

Banned
So Commandos 2 HD Remaster has been released by Kalypso Media, a german publisher. I was awaiting the remaster, because the game is a straight up classic.

As a young boy I played this game when I was in 7th, maybe 8th grade. It was awesome, not just for the gameplay but also a real history lesson.

Now the remaster has been released, and most of the fans are not happy. Not only is the game buggy, the biggest problem is that the game has been censored. From swastika's to Hitler, much has been removed from the game. Fans were asking if this could be fixed, seeing as we are living in countries where such imagery is not banned in the use of art.

From their comment to Facebook requests to uncensor the game:

"This has been a conscious decision to have only one version of Commandos 2 - HD Remaster, Which does not incorporate any symbols, portraits, speeches or other assets that could break any local law."

I have heard from several sources that the latest Wolfenstein game released in Germany is actually uncensored. So which local laws?

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I thought Germany was ok these days with swastika display...? Hmmm, odd.

This game wasn’t on my radar anyway because of those god awful trailer where they tried to say the originals looked like something they never did. I don’t have time for that BS.

GHG

Gold Member
It's bullshit and not the only problem with the game either. Apparently its buggy as fuck and the animations are broken.

Total disappointment as they've butchered a legitimate classic game. How to ruin an easy cash grab 101.

stranno

And that's why you don't want a German company producing a remaster for a World War 2 game, there are laws there and lazy studios (small British studio, it's not Kalypso itself) do not want to develop two different versions (because, you know, you have to change 100 textures max).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Studios don't talk with their fans enough... This could've easily been resolved if they knew beforehand what fans would think about this decision.

It's a shame that it's so buggy, could've been great to replay it

Lets erase and forget past mistakes. That always turns out well. And while we at it why not re-write the things we don't like.

I'm a huge commandos fan so I had to get the remaster. Besides some updated character models it a bare bones remaster. Oh well at least it works in Win10 1080p now without having to specify compatibility etc.

stranno

Lets erase and forget past mistakes. That always turns out well. And while we at it why not re-write the things we don't like.

I'm a huge commandos fan so I had to get the remaster. Besides some updated character models it a bare bones remaster. Oh well at least it works in Win10 1080p now without having to specify compatibility etc.
30% less FOV tho. Not a great idea for a Commandos game.

MMaRsu

Banned

They can call it censorship, but in fact it is rewriting history as if that shit didn't happen. Now ofcourse people know what happened, and Commandos 2 isn't the biggest learning tool, but some historical facts should not be censored and is an affront to actual history.

xrnzaaas

I had plans to buy the game, but because of this...
At that point we should remove the nazis and replace them with aliens or robots.
Many games in Germany were released with stuff like green blood or human characters replaced by robots or some other harmless (and soulless) enemies.

SweetShark

Many games in Germany were released with stuff like green blood or human characters replaced by robots or some other harmless (and soulless) enemies.

164520_8.jpg

:pie_thinking:

MMaRsu

Banned
Let's make sure these guys won't make any money by not buying the censored version.

Yeah I was actually looking forward to this, but fuck censorship. Not ever gonna buy this, and I'm not looking positively against any other games put out by this publisher either.

plushyp

Now the remaster has been released, and most of the fans are not happy. Not only is the game buggy, the biggest problem is that the game has been censored. From swastika's to Hitler, much has been removed from the game. Fans were asking if this could be fixed, seeing as we are living in countries where such imagery is not banned in the use of art.
The bolded is the worst part. They couldn't even release the remaster to a nearly 20 years old game without bugs? It's not like they were on a deadline.

Last edited:

stranno

This is getting less and less off my radar. Why do this ?
That's a trade off for widescreen. You can crop the image, like in this remaster, or you can show more FOV increasing the resolution. But that would make the background details very tiny, and that wouldn't be a good idea too for a pixel accuracy game like this. I have played Desperados at real 1080 resolution and trust me, it is a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

The bolded is the worst part. They couldn't even release the remaster to a nearly 20 years old game without bugs? It's not like they were on a deadline.
Digging in an old code can be very complicated. Of course everything is doable, but not when you want to release a quick port without overworking yourself.

plushyp

Digging in an old code can be very complicated. Of course everything is doable, but not when you want to release a quick port without overworking yourself.
I understand there being complications due to it being old code but my point is the time. There wasn't any deadline which makes it even more baffling.

Virex

Banned
So Commandos 2 HD Remaster has been released by Kalypso Media, a german publisher. I was awaiting the remaster, because the game is a straight up classic.

As a young boy I played this game when I was in 7th, maybe 8th grade. It was awesome, not just for the gameplay but also a real history lesson.

From their comment to Facebook requests to uncensor the game:

I have heard from several sources that the latest Wolfenstein game released in Germany is actually uncensored. So which local laws?
The remaster looks even worse than a fan made HD mod for the game as well. It's a shit remaster along with the censorship and Kalypso's virtue signalling response for the censorship is laughable. Glad they at least admit that they censor. Makes it easier to avoid anything published by Kalypso in the future

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, it's kind of crazy. But the original version of Commandos 2 is still available, right? Play that instead. Even outside of the censorship, the remaster is supposed to be awful.

Between this and Warcraft 3, I'm not sure what's so difficult about re-releases all of a sudden.

TUROK

Lol. This is getting the ridicule it deserves.

Just hope the gamers don't go full reeeeee and start threatening the devs and shit.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The choice to remove said imagery was solely on the devs since Germany hasn't had problems with said imagery in media for a while now.

MMaRsu

Banned
Wow the devs are doubling down on this nonsense on the steam forums..

First they claim its because of laws they changed it
Then they said they changed it because they do not want to support nazis idiology 😂

Fucking morons if you dont want to depict nazis then dont remake a game where the main enemy are nazis

Nightrunner

I wonder if this shitshow will have any effects on Commandos 4.
Will they cancel Commandos 4 now? Will Commandos 4 be censored as well? Hopefully no to both questions but given today's climate one can't be certain.

In Germany publishers submit games for age ratings and then state authorities make a decision on a case by case basis. The new Wolfenstein games came through, probably thanks to their satirical setting, The makers of Commando 2 HD apparently were afraid to not make it.

xrnzaaas

I wonder if this shitshow will have any effects on Commandos 4.
Will they cancel Commandos 4 now? Will Commandos 4 be censored as well? Hopefully no to both questions but given today's climate one can't be certain.
Yeah it's not looking good. If it's the same studio and same censorship policy I won't be buying Commandos 4.

I hate any game that removes swastikas that were previously there just to...not offend anyone? Its a war game, the Nazis did happen and its part of the world history. If you are offended, you are an idiot. Its actually a bhudist symbol just twisted 45* to one side.

War did happen, they did happen, why is this a thing and even here a totally legit topic about how Nazis had proper swag uniforms made by Hugo Boss, it got closed and there wasnt even any negativity just photos of uniforms and hats.

Top Bottom