• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Commuter train detrails in CA: not an accident?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
At least 9 killed as California trains derail

Scores more injured in L.A. suburb of Glendale

GLENDALE, Calif. - A Metrolink commuter train in suburban Los Angeles struck a vehicle, derailed and sideswiped another train early Wednesday, killing nine people and injuring more than 100 others, authorities said.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca said it appears a vehicle was deliberately placed on the railroad tracks before the derailment.

Firefighters picked through twisted wreckage scattered across the tracks and carried wounded passengers from the trains to a triage center set up in a nearby parking lot.

“At this time, we believe we have nine fatalities,” Fire Chief William Battmare said. More than 100 people were transported to hospitals, he said.

One commuter train was headed from Los Angeles’ Union Station to downtown Burbank, and the other was bound to Union Station from Moorpark, Metrolink officials said.

“I heard a noise. It got louder and louder,” said passenger Diane Brady, 56, of Simi Valley. “And next thing I knew the train tilted, everyone was screaming and I held onto a pole for dear life. I held on for what seemed like a week and a half, it seemed. It was a complete nightmare.”

In a light rain, firefighters climbed ladders into windows of a battered train tipped onto its side.
MSNBC

Deliberately placed on the tracks?? Could this be a new form of terrorism (if terrorist related)?

Amir0x

Banned
A NEW DAY OF 24 BEGINS...

favourite_character.jpg

Anyway, horrible story :(

Lil' Dice

Banned
This happened down the street from the job. Apparently it was some nut-job trying to commit suicide, and failed......

Culex

Banned
OMG! Apparently some moron was going to commit suicide, but then decided that wasn't such a good idea. The person then LEFT THE VEHICLE ON THE TRACKS and walked away, causing the accident.

Holy SHIT!

xsarien

daedsiluap
Lil' Dice said:
This happened down the street from the job. Apparently it was some nut-job trying to commit suicide, and failed......

That's a hell of a way to try to off yourself. Yeesh. There are other methods that don't involve putting other people at risk; it's really not cool that he managed to kill 9 people.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Culex said:
OMG! Apparently some moron was going to commit suicide, but then decided that wasn't such a good idea. The person then LEFT THE VEHICLE ON THE TRACKS and walked away, causing the accident.

Holy SHIT!

What a piece of shit. It's times like these that make me regret turning down the offer to be a professional hit-man.

Culex said:

Holy SHIT!

the dumbass probably watched too many movies, and thought that the train would just ram into his car and keep going without doing any real damage.

Teddman

Juan Manuel Alvarez, a resident of Compton. Supposedly been trying to kill himself awhile and this was his latest misguided attempt.

teiresias

Some reporter just called my advisor here at my university for a comment on this story. He has no idea why they called him though since he's not a part of the rail safety group they have here at the department. He directed them to the correct people though.

Teddman

keiichi said:
That guy will have no problems dying .... in jail
They're already speculating on the death penalty. I believe two cops were killed in this accident, aboard one of the trains? Authorities are pissed.

Hollywood

Banned
A man was also found dead at the scene with a single gunshot would to the chest. He has yet to be identified on passenger lists. The Los Angeles Counter-Terrorism task force is investigating.

Wait .... what?!?!

android

Theoretical Magician
His life just got ten tens worse than it was when he wanted to commit suicide. And not to make light but I instantly thought of this season of 24.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Can we arrange some sort of deal where everybody in the country gets to kick this guy in the balls for the nice cheap price of a hundred bucks? Seems better than raising taxes to help raise money.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Some news reports in San Diego have been saying that the guy was an undocumented immigrant (i.e. illegal), which is making people even more mad seeing how many people were killed/injured.

Shinobi

Hammy said:
What the heck is he doing all the way in Glendale? IIRC there are plenty of train tracks in the Compton area.

Guess he was worried about being shot to death before getting to the tracks. :lol Seriously, this is just fucked up.

bjork

Some copycat tried to do this earlier this morning as well, in LA county somewhere. Cops popped him so he fled the scene. After a low-speed chase, he wouldn't come out of his vehicle. So the cops had him call 911 from his cellphone and he explained that he'd planned to kill himself also, via train rundown.

Now they have him and he's going to go to some shrink or something.

I don't understand someone wanting to take out multiple people along with themselves. If you're going to commit suicide, you should do it YOURSELF (as in, not via train), and you shouldn't suck other people into your shitty little world. Just off yourself and go quietly plz.

rc213

Quite sad, I shop at the Glendale Costco alot. What a shitty thing to do, atleast he shouldve just stood on the tracks and killed himself that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom