• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon station commuters flee train in 'Bible' panic

shaneo632

I've had assholes like this on the tube before. Proper unsettling even if they probably think they're being "helpful".

Hesemonni

Banned
Anybody outside clergy reciting bible verses in the public is probably not right in the head so I guess a proper reaction.

Seesaw15

Better safe than sorry. Enough terrorism stuff happens in London that the people one the train didn't want to take a chance with the Old Testament.

Orbis

I don't think forcing open the doors of a train car and running on the tracks qualifies as "safe"
Yeah panic is a really dangerous scenario because people can do irrational things, like jumping out of a train or causing a stampede. That failed bombing a few weeks ago saw a number of injuries just from the panic of people trying to escape.

That's why it's important to listen to safety announcements and read the evacuation signs all over the train (and on planes, buses etc and keeping an eye out for Fire Exit signs when you're in a building). You'll then be more likely to choose a safer escape than one you know is dangerous, such as jumping onto a live and busy train line.

Snoopycat

Banned
It's only been a couple of weeks since some idiot tried to blow up a train down in London, so the reactions seem pretty reasonable to me. If I was on a train and someone started saying death is not the end, I'd probably start worrying too.

The bible's a pretty scary book. I mean have you read some of the shit they put in there?

69dc809254108fc3224b060a8848180d--simpsons-quotes-the-simpsons.jpg

yepyepyep

Wimbledon line is the same one that has the Parsons Green station that had the failed bombing which is why people would be quite twitchy about an overzealous preacher.

PJV3

Holding a big book that says "The Bible" on the front was probably a clue.

Rush hour on a train in Wimbledon you would be lucky to see anything, though I'm not exactly being serious about it.

They would probably run if he started reading out loud poems from lord of the rings.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Rush hour on a train in Wimbledon you would be lucky to see anything, though I'm not exactly being serious about it.

They would probably run if he started reading out loud poems from lord of the rings.

I'd definitely start running once he reached the Tom Bombadil chapters.

I lived in London for over two decades. Londoners on the Underground are fairly infamous for their cultivated indifference to anything they can't ignore by hiding behind a copy of Metro held in front of the face.

A fairly common occurrence on the busier lines, during rush hour, has been the religious nut who stands at one end of a carriage and declaims all kinds of blood-curdling nonsense from a copy of the bible. Typically nobody looks up from their newspaper, and the nutter moves on to the next carriage. They're tolerated but never welcomed.

I'm really a bit surprised to hear about this latest fuss, but it's quite understandable that even Londoners might be a bit rattled after the events of the other week.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Panic at the Bible Study

Top Bottom