• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple cases of racist incidents reported after Brexit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm from the South and I take offense to this. Racism is everywhere. It's fucking everywhere and it sucks. Stop blaming the South. You're being hypocritical as well, since your condemning a particular group because of where they're from.

I'm from the South and a minority, so who is going to take offense on what? Yes racism is everywhere but the point was the headline would be believable with what we've seen from the South.

Hasney

https://imgur.com/a/tTe5d#IQbwh33

Just saw this on the united kingdom subreddit, absolutely disgusting.

e1JH5Jx.jpg

If that doesn't tell you all that us, the ordinary public have to do more to combat this, nothing will.

Because we aren't talking about British born natives in this discussion are we? We are talking about the EU referendum and immigration, I have a problem with British citizens doing it as well, as far as I am concerned our benefits system is being abused and instead of a safety net it is used as a way for people to essentially be lazy and do nothing with their lives.

And you know who suffers? The people who genuinely need that money, the disabled and I am not taking about Jim who has a backache and can't work, I am talking about people who genuinely have no quality of life whatsoever that get told they are fit for work despite not being able to even have a shower without someone helping them or leave their home.

I am incensed with everyone doing it but the difference is I am not trying to excuse the behaviour by hiding behind skewed data on either side.
My problem with your arguments is how does leaving the EU help solve your issue with people abusing the benefits system? How did you voting Leave help to support multiculturalism as you say? How does Cameron resigning and an even worse and racist Conservative like Boris Johnson possibly becoming PM help?

Still waiting to hear at least one good thing (besides getting rid of cameron) that came out of this. It's opened up a huge divide in our country (and between us and other eu countries) and has likely left everyone worse off for it. And we've become the laughing stock of the world. Empty claims about taking our country back just aren't doing it for me.

Arkeband

Banned
It's not comparable in terms of severity I agree but it is still wrong and harmful to label people as things they are not and in terms of the pain it causes it can be comparable, I despise racists, being put into the same group as racists based on a voting preference is hurtful and if this were not the internet would it be acceptable practice?

Labelling someone or slandering an individual can be not only harmful to their personal life but also to their professional life, although I imagine most won't see that because they aren't looking for reason or logic they are looking to inflict pain upon others because they want an outlet.

Disagreeing with others in a respectful manner is completely fine, if people were saying "I disagree with the choice they have made because I believe it is going to harm our economy or (insert reason here) but I don't believe that everyone who voted leave is a racist or bigot" then that would be completely acceptable and a mature way to deal with the situation.

Instead what we have had over numerous threads is drive by shit posts or "This is what happens with he leave camp, they are racists and bigots" "What a bunch of fucking racists" "They disgust me"

See for this thread and the individuals in the op that is an appropriate response butt it still doesn't mean it is right to label everyone under that banner and when they do that most certainly isn't ""disagreeing" that is just being petty and lacking in critical thought, it's abusive, the very fucking thing that we all claim to hate.

Just because it is a different kind of abuse does not justify it, hate is hate, no matter how you spread it, words are weapons and they should be used very carefully and only aimed towards the individuals who truly deserve it.

The problem I have with your attempts to moderate this discussion is you haven't actually provided a legitimate argument for Leave, and we're showing you a very real, present danger in the form of nationalism that took no time at all to rear its ugly head. It is up to Leave voters to condemn this behavior first and foremost.

Respect

Still waiting to hear at least one good thing (besides getting rid of cameron) that came out of this. It's opened up a huge divide in our country (and between us and other eu countries) and has likely left everyone worse off for it. And we've become the laughing stock of the world. Empty claims about taking our country back just aren't doing it for me.

You'll be hearing about the good things soon, some of the winners are just a tad bit busy right now though, you'll have to wait.

Narroo

I'm not sure which I'm worried more about, the blatant racism, or the fact that they think because voted leave in a non-binding referendum, 'foreigners' should somehow leave instantly. What, do they think they're just going to pack up overnight and walk home to foreign land? It's completely irrational. If they actually did try to force everyone out overnight, it'll just end up as a bloodbath.

I see UK can really no longer claim they're smarter than Americans just because they have a fancy accent. You could have replaced "southern" and "Muslim" in here and I wouldn't know the difference from a US story.

Poor little kid had to experience first hand what ignorant people are like. You fought Hitler who loved blind racism and now you have some of your own. Keep it classy.
You can apply that to all other nations in Europe. Ignorance and bigotry knows no borders.

I want to laugh at the idiots who voted out not knowing what they were really voting for. Tbh I think those people deserve every negative things that will happen to the UK after leaving but I do feel for the folk who voted in.

You'll be hearing about the good things soon, some of the winners are just a tad bit busy right now though, you'll have to wait.

Truly a man of the people, sticking it to the establishment and siding with the common folk.

I have provided multiple reasons in this thread alone which have been ignored, I am also not attempting to moderate any discussion I am simply stating my opinions.

This nationalism was there before today, it was called UKIP and racism was there before today, the behavior is clearly condemned by anybody with an ounce of sanity, empathy or decent moral standards and I have myself stated my disgust numerous times.

Are people simply ignoring what I am writing?

Problem is a lot of racists think they have the backing of the majority now. It was bad enough when they mostly kept it to themselves but now it's even worse.

jwhit28

I just can't understand the mental gymnastics supposed nonracists go through to justify supporting a platform that emboldens and empowers these types of people.

What was worth letting the racists think the majority of Britain feels the way they do? What was worth putting immigrants through this type of harassment and hate?

Audioboxer

Reading this guys Twitter :(

waking home, see these men laid out on the floor,thought they were drunk,took a photo, turns out they've been

battered senseless by "english man english man", a son and his dad, dads unconscious. blood everywhere. ffs.

you know what the paramedics said? they'd been lying there for at least an hour. an hour. community. big society. appalling. glad i stopped.

update: just heard from the the victims nephew that his grandad is ok, but his uncle has a "bleed on the brain" & is in a bad way. pray.

these "newspaper journalists" need to stop messaging me tbh, you drum up fear & hate daily then want to 'buy my story'? it's a no from me. x

https://twitter.com/b0redinbucks

Warning graphic pictures.

Neo C.

I just can't understand the mental gymnastics supposed nonracists go through to justify supporting a platform that emboldens and empowers these types of people.

What was worth letting the racists think the majority of Britain feels the way they do? What was worth putting immigrants through this type of harassment and hate?

White priviledge. I believe (and hope it's somewhat true) that many just didn't think about this because they aren't the target of xenophobism.

FunkyMonk

I have provided multiple reasons in this thread alone which have been ignored, I am also not attempting to moderate any discussion I am simply stating my opinions.

This nationalism was there before today, it was called UKIP and racism was there before today, the behavior is clearly condemned by anybody with an ounce of sanity, empathy or decent moral standards and I have myself stated my disgust numerous times.

Are people simply ignoring what I am writing?

It's because you tend to spend one short sentence condemning it then 10+ sentences talking about how some Gaffers have said mean things about Leave and how that's the bad thing; basically distracting from the very real racism that's become much more apparent the last few days.

Friday morning at work a gormless little shit in my department stated, to an Asian colleague, that he "Voted to get rid of the fucking pakis". The little arsehole knew nothing about the EU whatsoever and was surprised to a) be told that Pakistan isn't in the EU and b) to go the fuck home.

Likely he'll be sacked tomorrow, as his manager I'll be pushing for it. Unfortunately the HR manager wasn't in work on Friday or he'd have been sacked there & then.

Prior to this we'd never heard a racist word from the young lad but he suddenly felt empowered to let it out. While the Leave campaigns weren't solely about xenophobia it was what they fell back on in the last few weeks of the campaign after losing the economic one and it worked for them.

It's almost like people act in their own self interest. Holding those people accountable for the actions of nutjobs is silly.

Guess all the Schadenfreude of racial relations in the US didn't magically save the Europeans from being racist. Hopefully this will finally bring attention to the issue instead of all the people proclaiming no racism is present in Europe and that's only in America. Hopefully this gets under control soon but with the tensions that have been bubbling under the surface and still the problem of refugees in Europe, I feel like this won't be resolved any time soon. :(

Lots of graphic pictures on twitter of immigrants getting the crap beat out of them. :(

EGM1966

It's at 3 million, but it should be ignored because to do otherwise would be undemocratic

Again... sarcasm

3 million? That seems huge? Gotta be some stuffing going on surely? I guess 100K and it has to be debated anyway so its all moot.

TBH I've moved on to see the vote as having exposed huge scisms that have been bubbling away for a while. I'm worried simply because it's hard to see how it will play out and while I hope things will settle down and focus can return to finding stability I'm not convinced this will be the case.

At this point we've effectively got both main parties collapsing. The UK itself could start to fragment if Scotland does go for another referendum and YES wins this time. I'm already seeing business and the macro economy affected and we've got rising swell of white racism particularly in England.

One the back of one vote the UK has become worryingly unstable and people are being horribly affected by it in very real and unpleasant ways.

Really starting to feel this should never have gone to such a simple referendum. A gate should have been established and if neither side could muster 60% min it should have been a wash.

EGM1966

Fucking hell, UK. I had no idea so many people hated Poles over there.

It's really very sad and upsetting. It's not just Poles though, they just happen to be perfectly placed as a target at the moment. Sadly a lot of simmering racism has emerged emboldened by the result.

Henkka

Banned
It's really very sad and upsetting. It's not just Poles though, they just happen to be perfectly placed as a target at the moment. Sadly a lot of simmering racism has emerged emboldened by the result.

Yeah, I know there's plenty others. But I've heard of racism against blacks, Pakistanis, and muslims obviously, it's just news to me that there's a strong current of anti-Polish racism/xenophobia as well.

Audioboxer

Yeah, I know there's plenty others. But I've heard of racism against blacks, Pakistanis, and muslims obviously, it's just news to me that there's a strong current of anti-Polish racism/xenophobia as well.

The racists basically just target anyone who isn't white or who doesn't have a thick English accent. Muslims and Asians are the easiest targets but all are fair game for them. Sick fucks. The police better be taking these crimes seriously and cracking down on this scum.

Fed up seeing bloody pictures on social media and no police reports in the media of thugs caught.

Saroyan

I had no idea there was so much hate against Polish people in the UK.

I live in the US and am of Polish/German ancestry with a very Polish last name so I grew up with plenty of "dumb Pollock" jokes being directed at me but I always thought any real hate against Polish people ended in the 1800's or something.

What more do you want me to say about racists? Genuinely? What more can be said that what I have already said?

I mean if you are insinuating I care more about defending leave voters than I do condemning racism then you are wrong my friend, I care about people being abused, I don't care how it's done, if I see people abusing others I call it out, the difference is, I don't have a platform to call the people in the op out in their shit do I?

I am here though now witnessing gaffers slandering people calling them racists for voting preference, that is something I can directly address.

But don't for one second believe I don't care or I care less about racism, that simply isn't the case, I simply haven't been as vociferous about it in this particular moment because I can't really condemn it more than I already have, I strive every single day to learn and educate myself about all forms of historical and modern injustices and I believe I have extensive knowledge in these areas but I am always willing to learn more and adapt my outlooks on everything and anything.

I don't work on agenda or bias, I keep my mind open to all points of view but won't keep my mind open to hatred, or abuse in any shape or form.

Well said. Its pretty pathetic how many people are playing the racist card against Leave voters when they don't know anything about them and seem to be in the mindset of "they must be racist if they voted Leave"

Well said. Its pretty pathetic how many people are playing the racist card against Leave voters when they don't know anything about them and seem to be in the mindset of "they must be racist if they voted Leave"

Minorities are being harassed and attacked, and you're worried about your own persecution for supporting anti-immigration rhetoric and lies?

I'm crying.

faridmon

As someone who live in Birmingham, Not British and a very sociable guy, I have started becoming wary of anyone British when I go ou to clubs/gigs and I am very disappointing because the reason why I chose Birmingham, was for it Multicultural diversity.

The Adder

Banned
It's not comparable in terms of severity I agree but it is still wrong and harmful to label people as things they are not and in terms of the pain it causes it can be comparable, I despise racists, being put into the same group as racists based on a voting preference is hurtful and if this were not the internet would it be acceptable practice?

When you lay down with dogs, you wake up with fleas.

You were not born alligned with racist shitbags, you, and everyone like you, chose to align yourself with a campaign that made no secret of being built upon racism and xenophobia.

You deserve to be labled as such no less than Republicans on this side of the Atlantic who spew the same "bu-bu-but I'M not racist. I just vote for a party of racists" bullshit. You're a part of the problem, no matter your "intentions." You don't like it? Fucking tough. No one gives a shit. You are in no way, shape, or form comparable to an oppressed minority because of it and it takes a shocking amount of narcissism to think you can make that claim.

Murkas

As someone who live in Birmingham, Not British and a very sociable guy, I have started becoming wary of anyone British when I go ou to clubs/gigs and I am very disappointing because the reason why I chose Birmingham, was for it Multicultural diversity.

Was in Harbourne earlier today and I know I got some looks, first time I felt wary since 2003.

Actually shaved my beard to not attract attention.

deli2000

Minorities are being harassed and attacked, and you're worried about your own persecution for voting supporting anti-immigration rhetoric and lies?

I'm crying.

They will never fucking get it. It's always about them even when minorities are fearing for their lives. Let's not forget that a woman was murdered by a borderline neo-nazi in this country for the sheer crime of supporting the entering of refugees into this country. But will someone think of the poor leave voters. It's why nothing will ever get done about this and why i feel increasingly concerned about living here.

mlk-cfw.jpg

No, we're in the mindset of whatever you were seeking with that vote was worth voting with racists, and empowering them nationwide and worldwide. These guys were strictly speaking your allies.

That you can't stomach being told that simple truth is pretty irrelevant compared to what actual people are enduring because of this. We're not saying this was an objective of yours, we're saying this was an entirely predictable side effect. One you're willing to throw under the rug because the internet doesn't mollycoddle you. Tough shit.

Kikujiro

Oh my poor you, people on the forum are calling the "leave" voters supporters of xenophobia (because that's what they did, even if by implication), while minorities are getting attacked in real life for racist reasons. But you're the true victim here.

When you lay down with dogs, you wake up with fleas.

You were not born alligned with racist shitbags, you, and everyone like you, chose to align yourself with a campaign that made no secret of being built upon racism and xenophobia.

You deserve to be labled as such no less than Republicans on this side of the Atlantic who spew the same "bu-bu-but I'M not racist. I just vote for a party of racists" bullshit. You're a part of the problem, no matter your "intentions." You don't like it? Fucking tough. No one gives a shit. You are in no way, shape, or form comparable to an oppressed minority because of it and it takes a shocking amount of narcissism to think you can make that claim.

Well fucking said.

faridmon

Was in Harbourne earlier today and I know I got some looks, first time I felt wary since 2003.

Actually shaved my beard to not attract attention.

Awful, sorry to hear.

It also got to the point that I keep double thinking of anyone who I met previously in gigs, wondering what sort of person they actually are. I know about my friends since we have discussed it lengthy about the issue, but I wouldn't be comfortable talking to others about it.

Its really sad all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom