• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Compile Heart announces Omega Quintet for PS4 - Sept 18 2014 [Up: Trailer & Website]

I'm not the biggest Compile Heart fan, even if I've been enjoying Victory, but I'm glad a dev is jumping on the PS4.

Think about it, this could be great if it does well and others make games for the PS4 as well.

zeopower6

I'm not the biggest Compile Heart fan, even if I've been enjoying Victory, but I'm glad a dev is jumping on the PS4.

Think about it, this could be great if it does well and others make games for the PS4 as well.

I hope we get Nippon Ichi's announcement soon! I think they said they were in the process of developing one a while ago...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
GotY. Day 1.
Get the hype train started.

tonystarejeml.gif

I hope we get Nippon Ichi's announcement soon! I think they said they were in the process of developing one a while ago...

Y..yeah can't wait (._. )

CrovaxPSO

Like which ones?

They mention that he worked on Monster Monpiece in the article.

Is that really a good comparison though? Square Enix plus Revo pretty much guaranteed a bit of success imo.

I think it's a perfectly fine comparison for what I'm trying to get across. Both studios have decent track records for the types of games they put out. My point is that people get so up in arms whenever a new Compile Heart game is announced, as if it's taking the place of some "traditional" RPG they want instead. I'm not sure if it would be better to get mad at the people overseas who buy Compile Heart games, but I know it makes no sense to get mad at Compile Heart themselves. Especially with this Galapagos series of games, because Compile Heart themselves said they're made specifically for Japan.

Some Nobody

The hate for Compile Heart is always hilarious. Do you think if these games didn't exist, the RPGs you want would be taking their place? The last Neptunia console game sold something like 35k its first week in Japan. That's good for what the game is, but hardly a smashing success. Compare it to Bravely Default, which sold 140k. Compile Heart is pretty niche even for Japan, so I just don't get why people here get so mad when they come out with a new game.

The RPGs I want don't exist (or won't come out *cough* FFXV *cough), so I don't think that actually.

jgminto

I'm expecting a realistic depiction of idol culture. The first boss should be the abusive producer of the company you're trying to get work from. While battling you'll have to manage your "purity" meter as to not upset your fanbase and risk having your image tarnished for acting and being seen as a human being. This will be the Spec Ops: The Line of idol games.

interesting, main heroine voiced by bunch of young and rookie seiyuu. (17,17, 19, 23) most of them only have one or two main lead experience but all of them did have singing experience.

Lantis probably actually making them an idol group in real life too.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
You saying GUST is tainted as well.....oh no you didn't.

GUST and Idea Factory are what's wrong with RPGs today. That's just reality!!!!!

Anyway, if people like these moege uninspired RPGs then that's fine, but most of the time it just seems like the praise is due to the "anime visual" itch being scratched and that some would be better off playing countless JP iOS titles.

GUST and Idea Factory are what's wrong with RPGs today. That's just reality!!!!!

Anyway, if people like these moege uninspired RPGs then that's fine, but most of the time it just seems like the praise is due to the "anime visual" itch being scratched and that some would be better off playing countless JP iOS titles.

I can agree with Idea factory but GUST (even though their design choices are very questionable at times) make decent rpgs.

I don't think theres anything wrong with companies making these jrpgs; theres definitely a really small niche that likes them for whatever reason. It doesn't suddenly detract the fact that the biggest selling jrpgs of last gen such as Souls, Dragons Dogma, Ni No Kuni are of a much better standard. I think both can co exist.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I can agree with Idea factory but GUST (even though their design choices are very questionable at times) make decent rpgs.

I don't think theres anything wrong with companies making these jrpgs; theres definitely a really small niche that likes them for whatever reason. It doesn't suddenly detract the fact that the biggest selling jrpgs of last gen such as Souls, Dragons Dogma, Ni No Kuni are of a much better standard. I think both can co exist.

GUST isn't as bad IMO but for a JRPG I find the battle mechanics so bland that I'd rather the game be a VN with an alchemy sub-game than actually make me fight through those battles.

Souls and DD aren't really that traditional. NNK is a good example, though. That was more fun. Compile Heart et al., might be niche, but there are more of these games getting released than more traditional JRPGs with interesting battle systems. As much as I disliked FF13 and 13-2 (well, 13-2 less so) mechanic wise those were more fun for me than these annual idol RPGs. JRPGs with well thought out battle systems seem to be the most niche ;_;

zeopower6

Now that I think about it, it sounds like Compile Heart doing some sort of Ar tonelico-ish deal with idol music instead of what they do for Ar tonelico, lol.

mao2

I dont blame them for that. I can blame them for the shitty quality of their Games though and I am sure this Game will be as shallow as the Neptunia Games all over again.
Shitty or not, there is an audience for Compile Heart's games. Even though their market is niche, they still constantly release titles their fans want. Shouldn't they be lauded for that instead? Blame companies like Square Enix and Konami for not making or localizing the RPGs you want, not Compile Heart.

People can hate on the Compile Heart RPGs as much as they like, I enjoy them a hell of a lot regardless of the "jank" so this will be real motivation towards me getting a PS4 when it gets localised. If Neptunia Victory II gets announced as being for PS4 as well that'll seal the deal.

fek

I was a bit scared when Moero Chronicles was announced and Fukahire wasn't involved, glad to see that he's working with CH again.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The artwork looks like Neptunia, the story reminds me of Neptunia PP, will the game be like Neptunia?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I first though this was a game called Omega from Quintet. I left disappointed.

Replicant

Eh, I'm not into moe x moe games but why complaining about games, any games coming into PS4? This is a good thing. The more coming, the higher the chance that other Japanese games will follow suit, maybe those games will be closer to mine and your taste.

The hate for Compile Heart is always hilarious. Do you think if these games didn't exist, the RPGs you want would be taking their place? The last Neptunia console game sold something like 35k its first week in Japan. That's good for what the game is, but hardly a smashing success. Compare it to Bravely Default, which sold 140k. Compile Heart is pretty niche even for Japan, so I just don't get why people here get so mad when they come out with a new game.

Great post, I couldn't have said it better myself

RpgN

GUST isn't as bad IMO but for a JRPG I find the battle mechanics so bland that I'd rather the game be a VN with an alchemy sub-game than actually make me fight through those battles.

Souls and DD aren't really that traditional. NNK is a good example, though. That was more fun. Compile Heart et al., might be niche, but there are more of these games getting released than more traditional JRPGs with interesting battle systems. As much as I disliked FF13 and 13-2 (well, 13-2 less so) mechanic wise those were more fun for me than these annual idol RPGs. JRPGs with well thought out battle systems seem to be the most niche ;_;

Gust games (at least the PS3 Atelier games) really aren't bad. Rorona hardly had any fanservice unless you want to count the art style and some minor jokes. I know there has been more fanservice with the sequels, but the games themselves are seriously good. If you like RPG games, they're worth a try and not to be compared with what CH games are typically known for. That's what I would say to RPG fans who haven't tried the games at least.

It's true that the battle system is simple for these games, but they make up for it in my opinion with the alchemy stuff and time management. You say you'd rather they become VN with an alchemy sub-game, I'd rather have a battle system instead of that.

I do agree about your overall opinion though. I long for the PS1/PS2 era where most RPG announcements were exciting, unique and didn't rely on fanservice ;_;

As for CH, Fairy Fencer F seems pretty decent from what I've seen. I would love to try out the Neptunia remakes on the vita, but can't with the kind of fanservice they have.

Shengar

Compile Heart, saving Japanese Gaming Industry one console at a time
idol lol

Yeah, the problem isn't that these kind of JRPG exist. They already existed in the so called "Golden Age" era of PS2, but the only thing was that at the time we have so many JRPGs and these kind of games become overlooked. I found it ironic that other JRPG disappeared along with their creators and publishers due to the deadly HD transition while the "perverted" one did not. I'm not liking this type of game either, but pointing your finger at Compile Heart for causing the JRPG degradation to fanservice is just taking them as a scapegoat.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

"for what the game is"
This sentence made me think, how Neptunia games are so cheap that 35k units sold are good while for others medium-big jrpgs(let's say a Tales of) 35k is a bad number?
I mean you may like Neptunia games or not, but they don't seem cheaper to develop than other jrpgs, they are full fledged 3d jrpgs with good graphics, lots of texts, voice acting and all the rest, how is it possible that 35k is enough for them and bad for similar games?

RpgN

Compile Heart, saving Japanese Gaming Industry one console at a time
idol lol

Yeah, the problem isn't that these kind of JRPG exist. They already existed in the so called "Golden Age" era of PS2, but the only thing was that at the time we have so many JRPGs and these kind of games become overlooked. I found it ironic that other JRPG disappeared along with their creators and publishers due to the deadly HD transition while the "perverted" one did not. I'm not liking this type of game either, but pointing your finger at Compile Heart for causing the JRPG degradation to fanservice is just taking them as a scapegoat.

I don't know about that. I don't think it's a simple matter of the creators of those type of RPGs disappearing and only the ones like CH remain.

Even the more ''respected'' RPG developers have been adding more fanservice in their games in minor and not so minor ways (Bravely Default and Fire Emblem for instance).

It's a mix of both. You have those developers remaining and the bigger ones adding more fanservice to their games if they still make them.

Shengar

"for what the game is"
This sentence made me think, how Neptunia games are so cheap that 35k units sold are good while for others medium-big jrpgs(let's say a Tales of) 35k is a bad number?
I mean you may like Neptunia games or not, but they don't seem cheaper to develop than other jrpgs, they are full fledged 3d jrpgs with lots of texts, voice acting and all the rest, how is it possible that 35k is enough for them and bad for similar games?

35k for Tales (console) would be disastrous lol
200k is already a bad number for mainline Tales games. I said the biggest difference will be on the marketing budget and the people wages, developers and voice actors alike.

Puru

Sounds like a game i could pick up when i want to try something random when i'm a bit bored or in need of something a bit more exotic all while expecting the worst.
Keep up the good work CH, if i dare say.

Ourobolus

Banned
I can't be the only one that saw "Quintet" in the thread list and blindly clicked, only to be disappointed.

EDIT: Yep.

Going to go ahead and agree with ya here

Top Bottom