• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Complicated designs = more trash

So hear me out. I'll take cars for an example.
You ever heard the phrase, they don't make em like they used to. And this is so true.
Old cars had very simple designs and were reliable and easy to fix. This also meant that when something broke, people actually fixed it.
But modern cars, people are unable to fix their cars, and if a car is a bit older, it's likely gonna be crushed because it's not worth repairing. This is even more true in electronics.
People used to fix their electronics but now due to complicated designs, they can't and they just throw it in the trash and buy a new one.
Having more complicated designs results in more trash overall.
What do you think?

So hear me out. I'll take cars for an example.
You ever heard the phrase, they don't make em like they used to. And this is so true.
Old cars had very simple designs and were reliable and easy to fix. This also meant that when something broke, people actually fixed it.
But modern cars, people are unable to fix their cars, and if a car is a bit older, it's likely gonna be crushed because it's not worth repairing. This is even more true in electronics.
People used to fix their electronics but now due to complicated designs, they can't and they just throw it in the trash and buy a new one.
Having more complicated designs results in more trash overall.
What do you think?

I'm with you OP. Old cars ftw. Better aesthetics and less shite crammed in to them. Give me a basic steering wheel and a basic dashboard/ICE/cockpit and lets rock and roll. I want to feel the road through the wheel, not through power-assisted, self-parking, blind-spot warning sat nav-driven computers on wheel. Fuq dat junk

Your grudge is with planned obsolescence, not with complexity.
Sorta but not really. I think simpler designs were better. They last longer and are easier to repair/maintain.
Modern stuff is full of unneccesary shite.

Did you know in USA farmers are into buying old tractors and fixing them up? Modern tractors are too complicated, impossible to fix without going to the dealer and generally brake down more frequent then 40 year old tractors.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Remember TV repair shops?

Cars are the worst though. I used fix stuff on my cars all the time. Now I don’t know what the hell im looking at or what I might be screwing up further by trying to fix it.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Well with cars government mandated EPA regulations for emissions and safety standards make todays cars much safer and easier to drive than older models and with the push for higher fuel economy more environmental friendly than older cars.Yes it makes things much more complicated and times impossible to fix on your own but I wouldn’t exactly call “older” cars more reliable, simpler and easier to fix and use sure but today’s cars are much more reliable.
Saying all that I do pretty much agree with you on the premise

I'm with you OP. Old cars ftw. Better aesthetics and less shite crammed in to them. Give me a basic steering wheel and a basic dashboard/ICE/cockpit and lets rock and roll. I want to feel the road through the wheel, not through power-assisted, self-parking, blind-spot warning sat nav-driven computers on wheel. Fuq dat junk
This is why we will never have 100% automated cars in the US. Which is not a bad thing.

On the flip side, have fun trying to find a 20 something that can drive stick or knows what a transmission is.

A generation of push button, make thing go now.

This is why we will never have 100% automated cars in the US. Which is not a bad thing.

On the flip side, have fun trying to find a 20 something that can drive stick or knows what a transmission is.

A generation of push button, make thing go now.

Can't disagree. Even here in Britain, where we learn manual/'stick' as part of our drivers license training (it's more intense than the U.S. equivalent), the 20-somethings are going for self-parking, automatic, cruise-control cars. Basically, they want driving to be as lazy as possible with little input from the driver. I think creating lazy drivers is dangerous af.

Luckily, while these idiots £300-£400 a month finance for a lease-hire car, I can pick up a 12-14 year old Sports car for pennies, which shits all over the modern day equivalent.

Remember TV repair shops?

Cars are the worst though. I used fix stuff on my cars all the time. Now I don’t know what the hell im looking at or what I might be screwing up further by trying to fix it.

Well, with TVs, I think it's different than cars. TVs have gotten so ridiculously cheap now, it's literally easier to replace one than get it fixed in most cases (obviously high-end TVs probably not).

I wish cars went this same route, but that seems unlikely to happen as they like to keep the prices in the same range.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Well, with TVs, I think it's different than cars. TVs have gotten so ridiculously cheap now, it's literally easier to replace one than get it fixed in most cases (obviously high-end TVs probably not).

I wish cars went this same route, but that seems unlikely to happen as they like to keep the prices in the same range.

Oh it’s definitely different.
I’d like a car that only has anti-lock breaks, airbags, A/C, power locks, power steeringand maybe power windows and that’s it!

But noooo. Thanks to emissions tests we have to have computer chips controlling things. And then unnecessary dashboard crap, cameras, heated seats, blah blah blah

First car manufacturer that strips a car down to its basics to make it as cheap as possible and easy to work on- that car will be the first one I buy new.

But noooo. Thanks to emissions tests we have to have computer chips controlling things. And then unnecessary dashboard crap, cameras, heated seats, blah blah blah

First car manufacturer that strips a car down to its basics to make it as cheap as possible and easy to work on- that car will be the first one I buy new.
Totally agree bro. I only need AC, power steering and an old clump of iron for an engine.
That's why I ain't never selling my Polo SDI.
I tell you all, SDI engines are bomb proof. It's a naturally aspirated diesel engine. No turbo, no egr(it has one but it isn't controlled with a computer so it's easily blocked/bypassed).
Slow as a week in jail but bomb proof. None of that modern turbo/egr/dual.mass.flywheel/sensitive injectors mumbo jumbo.
In my country, sometimes 1 liter of diesel can climb to 1,5 usd. Please note this is a liter not a gallon. And I basically sometimes find vegetable oil for less then a dollar. That SDI runs veggie oil without issues.
Try putting veggie oil in a modern diesel car.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There's nothing like a vintage car.
giphy.gif

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Imagine a game genre so finely-tuned that each game can be completed in an average of 30 minutes yet still offers a skill ceiling so high it will take you years to achieve 'mastery'.

Everything else is bloated 'trash' in comparison.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This is correct.
Thank you.
Why not fix up your iPhone 1? Bring it up to speed?
Because it wasn't built to last.

It has no replaceable battery.
Being a tech device that relies heavily on the CPU, and given the fast rate of CPU improvements and the increasing demands of modern day apps, the iPhone obsoletes itself very quickly.
But, as long as you have the minimum requirement of skill to replace the battery and troubleshoot the chassis or circuit board for damage, as well as be willing to run an ancient OS with outdated apps, then there's no reason why you couldn't fix it up and use it.

Good luck trying to use 13 year old software today though.

Thank you.

Because it wasn't built to last.

It has no replaceable battery.
Being a tech device that relies heavily on the CPU, and given the fast rate of CPU improvements and the increasing demands of modern day apps, the iPhone obsoletes itself very quickly.
But, as long as you have the minimum requirement of skill to replace the battery and troubleshoot the chassis or circuit board for damage, as well as be willing to run an ancient OS with outdated apps, then there's no reason why you couldn't fix it up and use it.

Good luck trying to use 13 year old software today though.

Exactly. Planned that way from the beginning. It's a trend we are seeing in many of our daily use devices. Cars are quickly becoming the next one.

I do wonder what or if a 2015 Tesla will run well in 2035? Battery and CPU upgrades maybe?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I do wonder what or if a 2015 Tesla will run well in 2035? Battery and CPU upgrades maybe?
As a car, it would probably run fine, but assuming that all cars are automated by 2035, the 2015 Tesla might not be street legal since it won't have as sophisticated AI driving capacity or capability, although that could probably be modded in.

Top Bottom