• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conan Exiles Early Access |OT| You shall be my Thrall

Why do all survival games have to have janky animations/combat? Dot hey think that's what appeals to people about these games? Because it isn't.

I'd love for a survival game that had actual good and fun melee combat (IE like Dark Souls or For Honor) with range/mounted combat like Mount and Blade.

Then throw it on an actual LARGE "official" server that hosts 500+ people per server instead of your usual <100'ish private servers.

This game looks like it could be fun but the combat really looks subpar, even compared to the mmo Conan game. It needs a lot more refined animations and impact to it, some depth instead of just swinging your weapon around.

Yeah I want one of these with great combat. Just one...

Yeah I want one of these with great combat. Just one...

Hopefully mods... I'm just thinking of Arma and honestly how terrible Arma II was until the mod scene hit it. Especially since it's using Unreal, we could see some nice animation work, damage tweaks, attack variation etc. I wouldn't expect souls level combat, though.

Hopefully mods... I'm just thinking of Arma and honestly how terrible Arma II was until the mod scene hit it. Especially since it's using Unreal, we could see some nice animation work, damage tweaks, attack variation etc. I wouldn't expect souls level combat, though.

A game like this with souls type combat...my goodness I would faint. I've played all of them and i still don't dislike the genre because it has given me some amazing unique experiences I believe are only attainable with these kind of games but the jank of each and every one is just a plague.

So you want an MMO then... survival games aren't MMOs in that the core mechanics are based on survival and crafting and combat is the means to achieve these. What more survival games need are single player offline as opposed to hundreds of people all doing the same crafting as you.

There're plenty, plenty of MMOs with combat systems more advanced than the one in Conan: Exiles with light survival elements.

Eh. There's no reason a survival game couldn't have deep combat. It wouldn't fundamentally change the core of these types of games other than to make the combat more fun. Larger servers could work too, but I agree that making these fun in a single player offline mode would do more to make them appealing to larger audiences.

zugzug

man this looks very buggy
Lets see give away game to many streamers for free expect plebs to buy your buggy game not ready for release that can't even support a lot of people with proper sound communication in game

Do I fall for this and purchase or do I wait and miss the excitement bubble. Oh gaming industry you do this to me again.

A game like this with souls type combat...my goodness I would faint. I've played all of them and i still don't dislike the genre because it has given me some amazing unique experiences I believe are only attainable with these kind of games but the jank of each and every one is just a plague.

I'm in complete agreement with you. As to how a system like souls would hold up in a larger server which I'm assuming doesn't have a great tick rate though, is another story.

I would love it though. Dream come true, with dangerous PVE creatures on top of that. Even sporadic world bosses etc occasionally. I really do want an MMO that's a survival game I guess.

I'm in complete agreement with you. As to how a system like souls would hold up in a larger server which I'm assuming doesn't have a great tick rate though, is another story.

Yeah. It does seem to be a problem with server sizes. Throw in crafting and you have a whole other mess where they become increasingly more buggy the more structures are built.

zugzug

sorry but that archery in this game is very bad. Unless this is a thing with low skill level means bad accuracy

Stiler

So you want an MMO then... survival games aren't MMOs in that the core mechanics are based on survival and crafting and combat is the means to achieve these. What more survival games need are single player offline as opposed to hundreds of people all doing the same crafting as you.

There're plenty, plenty of MMOs with combat systems more advanced than the one in Conan: Exiles with light survival elements.

I want an mmo in terms of its world/server structure, nothing else.

Just an open-world sandbox survival game with FUN engaging combat that supports more then 100 players. You don't need to throw in quests or other mmo elements.

Mount and freaking Blade supports 256 players for crying out loud...don't see why survival games have to be limited to private 100 player servers or can't have a larger number of players, especially when they have large worlds that feel very "empty" because of this.

No..I don't want an mmo, I don't want a quest-driven game.

Just an open-world sandbox survival game with FUN enganging combat that supports more then 100 players.

Mount and freaking Blade supports 256 players for crying out loud...

When is Mount and Blade two coming out btw. I need that, the gameplay looked pretty great. Still Mount and Blade rigid and awkward, but miles better than the first.

Compsiox

Banned
https://twitter.com/ARKFAN111/status/826134034971451392
C3cEfuuVMAAx1j4.jpg
ARK Devs in Pedro's stream right now calling your game an ark mod. Highly unprofessional.-see the right hand comments

zugzug

ok wow I realize full well that Giantwaffle has been playing this game for what six hours now but he is now walking around nekkid and mining with his pickaxe and just killing two hyeanas and large turtle without breaking a sweat. I have no problem with the nudity just the fact that he isn't dying or freaking out about his health.

at start of stream they did freak out but now its over and just kill things with pickaxe not even put on yoru sword and shield anymore.

what does that say about the depth of game if you can continue to kill things nekkid with your pickaxe. Is it because the character they are playing has levelled up so high and the stats are so high. Six hours an no fear anymore. Where are the hardmode servers then?

Havent played a Conan game since that one on the 360 years ago. I still remember the fun combat system and rescuing those topless girls.
I'll add this to my Steam wishlist.

RedRumy3

Sold a few souvenir cases i got from csgo major and bought this. Figured it might be fun since I am a little bored right now.

Got an hour left to download, think I'm gonna stick to SP for today and tomorrow until the servers are panned out, launch day always has servers that tend to fuck up.

FiraB

Banned
Doing SP until we have a server running or I find a decent server.

Hosting multiplayer is way to lag-ridden it seems but the game runs better then ARK on my system which is funny as hell.

Hagi

ok wow I realize full well that Giantwaffle has been playing this game for what six hours now but he is now walking around nekkid and mining with his pickaxe and just killing two hyeanas and large turtle without breaking a sweat. I have no problem with the nudity just the fact that he isn't dying or freaking out about his health.

at start of stream they did freak out but now its over and just kill things with pickaxe not even put on yoru sword and shield anymore.

what does that say about the depth of game if you can continue to kill things nekkid with your pickaxe. Is it because the character they are playing has levelled up so high and the stats are so high. Six hours an no fear anymore. Where are the hardmode servers then?

Enemies get higher level the further inland you and from what I was watching of Liriks stream last night they were hanging around the coastal area where everything was pretty weak.

I watched Cohhcarnage play it for a while and he was really getting into it and make it look really fun so I went and bought it. If anyone wants to play or theres an eventual Gaf server I'm down. I won't be able to play till I finish work for like 8 hours anyway.

I've decided to wait. I'll see what your guys reactions are, and how developer support and mod support play out of the next couple months. I have a ton of games coming in soon including Nioh, Horizon, Mass Effect etc.

https://www.twitch.tv/mrmoonshouse <---most entertaining person to watch when it comes to survival games because he roleplays

Ha, he's pretty fun, thanks for linking.

Honestly, I can't imagine this game from what I've seen not regressing back into griefing fests like every other survival game. Which seems a bit off considering it benefits you to work with larger groups because

1. It takes tons of resources it seems to get things going and I assume avatar take a lot to summon.
2. Your diagrams/plans are limited to your level, so having more people to diversify plans is great.
3. Those sweet huge cities we all want.

I'm hoping to see a community sever where they implement some kind of light RP'ing. Large Clan sizes. Maybe some minor roles. Some fun events etc. Games like Arma were made for me by the communities, and honestly I see survival games benefitting from such behavior as well.

Burt

Are there any detailed write ups on the later game stuff? Not so much from players, obviously, but have the devs put out anythg specific about the high end stuff other than the vague and generalized 'summon gods and build cities'? Would love to have a better idea of how that stuff works.

Fug me, I caved. I want to play on a light RP type server. Is there anything like that? Like not strict RP character stuff, just some basic rule outlines, events etc?

Wait...the servers are limited to 100 fucking people? Or am I misunderstanding a prior comment?

Can you transfer to another server?

Wait...the servers are limited to 100 fucking people? Or am I misunderstanding a prior comment?

Can you transfer to another server?

Right now it seems you just make a new character. And yes, have you played survival games before? 100 is quite a bit of people and leads to constant confrontations.

derFeef

Fug me, I caved. I want to play on a light RP type server. Is there anything like that? Like not strict RP character stuff, just some basic rule outlines, events etc?

Well for what it's worth you can create your own one :)
Maybe we can setup a GAF server if there are enough people interested.

Right now it seems you just make a new character. And yes, have you played survival games before? 100 is quite a bit of people and leads to constant confrontations.

I actually haven't surprisingly. Was always interested in Ark but never wanted to drop the money, especially since it seemed there was little to no active community here. I just assumed each Ark server was filled with thousands of people I guess.

I need to get something straight though... A 100 person server is limited to 100 individual players that made a character on that server, or 100 people at a time? Example: 100 people are playing in an unprotected server. 2 people leave. Can 2 random other people then join in?

And if so, wouldn't they just get absolutely wrecked by the other 98?

Ha, he's pretty fun, thanks for linking.

Honestly, I can't imagine this game from what I've seen not regressing back into griefing fests like every other survival game. Which seems a bit off considering it benefits you to work with larger groups because

1. It takes tons of resources it seems to get things going and I assume avatar take a lot to summon.
2. Your diagrams/plans are limited to your level, so having more people to diversify plans is great.
3. Those sweet huge cities we all want.

I'm hoping to see a community sever where they implement some kind of light RP'ing. Large Clan sizes. Maybe some minor roles. Some fun events etc. Games like Arma were made for me by the communities, and honestly I see survival games benefitting from such behavior as well.

I think if people want to play this type of game for the best experience RP servers are the numero uno for survival games, it just ramps up the experience but you definitely need some buddies to play this with.

I actually haven't surprisingly. Was always interested in Ark but never wanted to drop the money, especially since it seemed there was little to no active community here. I just assumed each Ark server was filled with thousands of people I guess.

I need to get something straight though... A 100 person server is limited to 100 individual players that made a character on that server, or 100 people at a time? Example: 100 people are playing in an unprotected server. 2 people leave. Can 2 random other people then join in?

And if so, wouldn't they just get absolutely wrecked by the other 98?

100 people at any given time, depends on the server and if it requires whitelisting or password protection I guess.

Most these games, its a bunch of tiny groups of a few people, occasionally there's a larger group and yes. Basically a lot of people, especially the larger groups specialize in making hell for everyone else through numbers and resources.

That's why I want a RP-lite server where there's "factions" and some minor ground rules about just raiding for no reason etc. Like raiding someone's tiny startup base when you couldn't possibly need anything from them, just to be an ass etc. I'd like to see more larger settlements, where raids are carried out as more like battles. Instead of people waiting until you are logged off to sneak in and break everything/kill you.

Too often in rust or other games where I was just playing with a small group, I couldn't even finish building a small base before everything was destroyed and all my time was wasted. No one built anything especially cool, even though I wanted to, because it was all about building the base with the absolutely best resources:defence construction. So everyones bases looked the same. Hexagonal.

Anyone know where to get this game cheaper or is it sold only on Steam?

Steam only I believe.

Edit: G2A has it, but it's more expensive than it is on Steam.

I put in a refund request, for now, I should have done a proper search for RP type stuff before. Of the very small (a handful) of RP servers that there are, they either are filled and not recruiting. Or are far too serious about the RP portion that I'm a bit put off. As in, write a page+ biography of your character, always stay in character and are required to write weekly updates on your character's story. That's too much for me. I would host my own server, but I simply don't have the time to deal with and setup the server for recruitment and everything right now.

Khezu

I'm going to do my damdest to enjoy this game.

Played for like 2 hours and have to go to work soon.
Made some kind of house, put on some clothes because first person boobs were getting kinda distracting.
Picked a fight with an ostrich, didn't go as well as hoped.

Ran into a bug that if you die when you are starving or like on the brink of it, you will respawn starving even though the hunger meter is full.

Combat is Skyrim tier.

Game also doesn't run particularly well.

Top Bottom