• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Diablo 3 Has A Real Money Auction House, You Can Cash Out Of The System

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Corky said:
Ergh?! No trading between players in d3? Tell me I'm reading it wrong.
I am positive trading is still available :)!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
MrKnives said:
Can't find an official statement about it but yea at least all of the sites covering AH are saying
"The real-money auction house won’t stop normal trading between friendly players."

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/01/diablo-iii-to-have-real-cash-in-game-auction-house/

Yeah that one i was looking for. Thanks :)

Oh, and Diablo is in the game. By Rob Pardo

We do have a full running Alpha right now. Everyone in the office can play through to Diablo.

Raiden

Banned
At first i was like goddamnit ... and then i was like oh hold on, i can sell stuff i found ingame!

Holy shit, this is awesome.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gromph said:
Oh, and Diablo is in the game. By Rob Pardo
Haha, why shouldn't he be in it? Especially considering he was in the reveal trailer,

diablo-3-5014-1.jpg

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Yoshichan said:
Haha, why shouldn't he be in it? Especially considering he was in the reveal trailer,

diablo-3-5014-1.jpg

I prefer "full alpha" than Diablo :p

V_Arnold

Kintaro said:
I still disagree. What Blizzard has just done is legitimized these people. They have basically given their okay to create entire businesses around the game as long as they get a little cut. You can't tell them no because you're actively promoting them.

So, they will farm and farm and farm. They are proficient at it. The best in the world at it. Eventually, they will take over that auction house. They will eat some losses, break even on some items, and dominate gold sold on that AH in a manner that those "millions of players" that once thought they could compete will now find is easier to buy from them.

Sure, some competition will spring up looking to do the same thing but over the years, these farmers have it down to a science and it will be daunting to take them on.

You think it will cut down spam? Not in the least. You couldn't even really call it spam now. It's simply advertising their wares on the auction house. Same as any other player would do. All of this is done while Blizzard plays innocent and collects their cut. Hell, you'll see even more Diablo III farming/selling ads on GAF.

Sure, you can say "I'll just use the gold AH and never deal with the RMAH" but that's impossible. You'll still be dealing with the RMAH. You'll be dealing with all of the gold now funneled into that AH bought from that RMAH. You'll feel the urge to bite the bullet on gold harder than any other game before it just to compete with other buyers on the AH.

Man, it is going to be fascinating to watch unfold.

This just in: Diablo does not play like WoW.
PLAYING this game means looting. In WoW, gold farmers played DUMB.
Gold farmers either played on bots, rarely turning left and right here and there, or sitting on when their chars were getting killed constantly.

They were using hunters cause that was easiest to autoattack with.
What advantage will they have, as opposed to ANY hardcore or just serious Diablo 3-gamer in the long run? PLAYING this game means getting loot.

In WoW, players have dozens of activities that does NOT result in "loot" that can be sold. PVP mainly, raiding, hell, even questing. All goldfarmers did in WOW was farming primals (the material for crafting the beginning raidergear) 24/7 on all servers, on all areas, or if they were really desperate, then they were farming humanoid-heavy places with a good respawn rate/mob number/low quest players around there.

That is it. In Diablo 3, what could "dedicated golfarmers" do? Hope for more drops than everybody else? Play the game? Yeah, it is even at best. But in reality, gold farmers are not realyl the dexterous, insanely good "soloing hell on hc 24/7" style players in the first place.

Yeah, this will be amazing to watch. The only thing more amazing than watching it from the sideline will be actually playing it ;)

antipod

V_Arnold said:
That is it. In Diablo 3, what could "dedicated golfarmers" do? Hope for more drops than everybody else? Play the game? Yeah, it is even at best. But in reality, gold farmers are not realyl the dexterous, insanely good "soloing hell on hc 24/7" style players in the first place.

Yeah, this will be amazing to watch. The only thing more amazing than watching it from the sideline will be actually playing it ;)

Well, depends on how successful Blizzard is on stopping bots. There is a difference between a bot running 24/7 and normal players that can play a couple of hours per day. They have the same chance of finding loot but will find more loot due to the time they can be active doing it.

I usually agree with most of what you say to the naysayers here in these Diablo 3 threads but if bots are possible, the marked will be a bit flooded by items. If not, then I'm all with you. Stil, and I agree, it won't be like in WoW.

V_Arnold

antipod said:
Well, depends on how successful Blizzard is on stopping bots. There is a difference between a bot running 24/7 and normal players that can play a couple of hours per day. They have the same chance of finding loot but will find more loot due to the time they can be active doing it.

I usually agree with most of what you say to the naysayers here in these Diablo 3 threads but if bots are possible, the marked will be a bit flooded by items. If not, then I'm all with you. Stil, and I agree, it won't be like in WoW.

I am not sure how succesfully a "Bot" can play Diablo 3. In WoW, you had the nice "press tab" option which targeted the nearest enemy mob. Diablo 3 does not have a targeting feature. I am not sure how "good" bots could play in solo, let alone in groups of 4 in hell difficulty, where most of the best loot will come from anyway.

If I remember correctly, in D2 the spambots did not solo hell, they advertised the items only. I just do not think that bots will play anywhere near good as even an average player, if only.

(And Blizzard was quite good in mass-banning botters anyway in WoW.)

Kayo-kun

V_Arnold said:
I am not sure how succesfully a "Bot" can play Diablo 3. In WoW, you had the nice "press tab" option which targeted the nearest enemy mob. Diablo 3 does not have a targeting feature. I am not sure how "good" bots could play in solo, let alone in groups of 4 in hell difficulty, where most of the best loot will come from anyway.

If I remember correctly, in D2 the spambots did not solo hell, they advertised the items only. I just do not think that bots will play anywhere near good as even an average player, if only.

You are very outdated about your views on D2. It has been a botter heaven since atlest the last 3-4 years. Paladins (Hammerdin) bots usually create their own games and solo Baal at hell in full group (8 players) or solo. Not to mention all those Pindle/Mephy bots. Botting makes these runs far easier than normal playing since they react much faster and have a certain pattern they follow to utilize the runs.

V_Arnold

Kayo-kun said:
You are very outdated about your views on D2. It has been a botter heaven since atlest the last 3-4 years. Paladins (Hammerdin) bots usually create their own games and solo Baal at hell in full group (8 players) or solo. Not to mention all those Pindle/Mephy bots. Botting makes these runs far easier than normal playing since they react much faster and have a certain pattern they follow to utilize the runs.

WoW, this I did not know, yeah. Checked online well before hammerdins even become popular, lol.

Kayo-kun

V_Arnold said:
WoW, this I did not know, yeah. Checked online well before hammerdins even become popular, lol.

Hehe they are all over the place now, which makes me fear that we most likely will have a similar problem in D3. The D2 system (assuming D3 is mostly similar) is actually quite easy to create bot programs at. I've seen far more advanced games having bots perform harder tasks, for example in Guild Wars.

V_Arnold

Kayo-kun said:
Hehe they are all over the place now, which makes me fear that we most likely will have a similar problem in D3. The D2 system (assuming D3 is mostly similar) is actually quite easy to create bot programs at. I've seen far more advanced games having bots perform harder tasks, for example in Guild Wars.

Then Blizzard will simply have to resort to banning, banning, banning.

V_Arnold said:

Bots most certainly solo'd hell. In fact if you got on Diablo 2 right now and got on a character in hell difficulty you would find tons of games being ran by bots that just kill all the bosses for loot.
It's been this way forever. A lot of these bots farm items for item selling sites and they even advertise at the same time. Also, it would be just as easy to do in Diablo 3(not technically, but the premise). These bots do in fact play better than players and are decked out in the best gear, they know to teleport away from danger if they're getting killed and they know if it takes too long to solo an area they should just start a new game to fight different mobs.

So you remember wrong, unfortunately.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
image of diablo

Why....why does his shoulders have mouths? Does he need to feed them?

That's one thing I didn't like with WoW, when I played, tier 1 was the only complete class set there were ( only onyxia dropped t2 heads IIRC and that was it ) but I've observed as the game has progressed through the years that ( obviously ) the armor design has gotten more and more out of hand.

Shoulder/pauldron pieces that explode and sparkle, lightning shooting out, dark vortexes everywhere. Pieces of earth hovering around your toon. Skulls with skulls for teeth and those teeth have more skulls on them, and horns. I really hope they reign in the artists a bit when it comes to diablo 3 items and armor sets.

Yoshichan

Corky said:
WOW, hahahaha

antipod

One difference in Diablo 3 compared to D2 is that the loot that drops are personal. This means that any bot (of they will exist) can't grab all good loot that drops before any other player even reacts. This might make future 4 player Diablo runs not as good as the equivalent (well, 8-players there) was in D2 since the bots will automatically create more loot for other players than what they themselves get. In other words, they help lower the amount their own loot is worth.

So, if bots exists I think they will be solo runs and in that way not be seen as much as they are now.

Ahh well, we'll see how it turns out. :) Hopefully they make botting much harder or at least easier to notice and wield that ban-hammer accordingly.

antipod

Corky said:

Most likely as one of the trolls in the movie The Troll Hunter. They are outgrowths, not heads, there to make other evil lords think he is more powerful than what he really is.

I don't really know.

Goldmund

antipod said:
One difference in Diablo 3 compared to D2 is that the loot that drops are personal. This means that any bot (of they will exist) can't grab all good loot that drops before any other player even reacts. This might make future 4 player Diablo runs not as good as the equivalent (well, 8-players there) was in D2 since the bots will automatically create more loot for other players than what they themselves get. In other words, they help lower the amount their own loot is worth.

So, if bots exists I think they will be solo runs and in that way not be seen as much as they are now.

Ahh well, we'll see how it turns out. :) Hopefully they make botting much harder or at least easier to notice and wield that ban-hammer accordingly.
That's not the reason for it, of course, but it's very interesting to see how this game had to lose some of its most recognizable social aspects (whose merits are debatable, of course) on its way to become more communal, universal and integrative.

Kayo-kun

V_Arnold said:
Then Blizzard will simply have to resort to banning, banning, banning.

Yeah, just like they did on D2. Oh wait...

How will Blizzard detect the bots? It's nearly impossible to do that, especially if they play private games. The bot programs are mostly macroing the way a player could play and dont make any edits to the game engine, which would be a way for Blizzard to be able to find them. I have had friends botting for years who didn't get banned in D2 and if D3 is similar (which it seems) then its going to be another bot heaven, this time supported by an in-game real cash item store.

Goldmund

Kayo-kun said:

How will Blizzard detect the bots? It's nearly impossible to do that, especially if they play private games. The bot programs are mostly macroing the way a player could play and dont make any edits to the game engine, which would be a way for Blizzard to be able to find them. I have had friends botting for years who didn't get banned in D2 and if D3 is similar (which it seems) then its going to be another bot heaven, this time supported by an in-game real cash item store.
Bashiok does it on a case by case basis.

rakhir

Kayo-kun said:
How will Blizzard detect the bots?
I think how they do it now in WoW is that they have that Warden spy program, that can take a screenshot of your desktop.
But still, seeing bot in wow is not that unusual (at least was in TBC, i don't think i saw one in Wotlk and Cata).

V_Arnold

Kayo-kun said:

D2 did not have warden. Its whole engine was not prepared for the shitstorm that has been created by the hackers/botters. WoW has not been overrun by them.

Kayo-kun said:

D2 was Blizzard's first foray into this. It was like a testing ground for every type of botting, hacking, duping, cheating and scamming. Blizzard's naively coded environment was just not ready for the kind of stuff people will throw at an online game, and they also were not ready for the amount of upkeep it would require. Actually they weren't ready even for launch, I remember the massive popularity of D2 at release made closed Battle.net unplayable for several months.

At the time they probably couldn't afford that type of ongoing upkeep with no revenue attached to it. The whole closed server setup was what they thought would be a "simple solution" to Diablo 1's online problems, where your characters were stored on your computer and people could obviously use cheat with complete impunity.

Interfectum

Part of me wishes Blizzard would just open a store to buy gold or vanity items for your D3 character. There's something about allowing players to make money off in-game items which makes me uneasy. It kinda takes the fun out a little and makes it more real... I mean, before if I found a really awesome item I couldn't use, I'd probably just give it to a friend or to a random stranger to help them out. Now I'll be checking the AH prices to see if I can make a buck or two.

Overall it won't effect my enjoyment of the game but I can't help but feel there is a line being crossed here that makes me a bit uneasy.

V_Arnold

Interfectum said:
Part of me wishes Blizzard would just open a store to buy gold or vanity items for your D3 character. There's something about allowing players to make money off in-game items which makes me uneasy. It kinda takes the fun out a little and makes it more real... I mean, before if I found a really awesome item I couldn't use, I'd probably just give it to a friend or to a random stranger to help them out. Now I'll be checking the AH prices to see if I can make a buck or two.

Overall it won't effect my enjoyment of the game but I can't help but feel there is a line being crossed here that makes me a bit uneasy.

I respect this, but a question: did you ignore the item selling possibilities of yours in D2 for 10 years? A lot of people sold items there, even in this thread there are many "I did not buy stuff, but once I sold a staff/bow/etc for xy$, felt good" responses.

In that regard, nothing really changed.

Jako

Interfectum said:

I kinda feel the opposite way. Buying items from a store is much much worse than buying from a player driven AH.

I cannot even imagine what shitstorm a Blizzard in-game market would have caused.

Edit: oh vanity items...Well I don't know about that either

Interfectum

V_Arnold said:
I respect this, but a question: did you ignore the item selling possibilities of yours in D2 for 10 years? A lot of people sold items there, even in this thread there are many "I did not buy stuff, but once I sold a staff/bow/etc for xy$, felt good" responses.

In that regard, nothing really changed.

Honestly I never sold or purchase any items from D2. I usually ignore all that shit because it's too much work and always seemed shady. But now, me and many other people like me won't ignore it because it's actually a feature built straight into the game. I believe this will effect the community in a big way... and not really for the better. Like I said before, it's a little too real for my tastes.

Goldmund

Interfectum said:

That's what's so interesting: the number of systems through which players are connected, can interact and communicate increases while their pragmatics become more and more solitary and reclusive.

The loot isn't shared, everyone's playing their own game.

Diablo II might prove to have been the more social game: both in the negative (»who can pick up the loot the fastest?«) and positive sense (»a weapon for your class dropped!«). We'll see.

KrawlMan

Yoshichan said:

Because as of right now there is no real explanation for why he is in the game (as his soulstone was destroyed after completion of Act IV in D2). I know Blizz already confirmed that Diablo was in fact the demon shown in that trailer, but it won't be until the game comes out that we know why or how he's back.

Door2Dawn

Banned
The game just wouldn't be Diablo if Diablo wasn't in it. They pretty much have to include him in D3.

Either that or they can just use Diablo 3: So and so's revenge or something.

V_Arnold

I will generate both demand and supply for the gold AH, but I can see myself trying to sell some of the rare stuff/runes for some moneyz, but I wont mind selling good items in ingame non-real-money AH too. It will be up to the players to create both economies. And since money and gold is "interchangable"...well, having gold will be just as fine.

Freki

Interfectum said:

It's the same for me - but I have a feeling i will like it in some way because time spent farming isn't completely "wasted" - this way I can justify longer playing sessions to myself

V_Arnold

Also... I have a feeling /players 8 is going away. Even if you are not in group. Just sayin'. Embrace it while it hurts the most, then it will be easier.

Cries

Anyone know the length of the game? Will it be similiar to diablo 2 in that you get 4 acts pre expansion.. the amount of zones "areas" per act etc..

I'm hoping they beef it up somewhat.. we shall see though.. I just hope it's more variety on bosses and where to farm.

We shall see! the game generates random maps so that adds to it never feeling exactly the same.

Freki

V_Arnold said:
Also... I have a feeling /players 8 is going away. Even if you are not in group. Just sayin'. Embrace it while it hurts the most, then it will be easier.

Cries

4 players max confirmed ;-)

Freki

edwardslane said:
Anyone know the length of the game? Will it be similiar to diablo 2 in that you get 4 acts pre expansion.. the amount of zones "areas" per act etc..

I'm hoping they beef it up somewhat.. we shall see though.. I just hope it's more variety on bosses and where to farm.

We shall see! the game generates random maps so that adds to it never feeling exactly the same.

4 Acts - the beta build played at the press event is ~1/3rd of the first act - playtime was around 60-90mins from what i read...

so I'd expect 15h-20h for completing normal difficulty

edwardslane said:

There are 4 acts but we really don't know how big they are/long they will take to clear compared to d2 until its released

Goldmund

DieH@rd said:
Blizz should automatically reduce chances of finding loot/gold for players who clock in insane amount of playtime.
Oh, wow, that's a scary idea. They're probably thinking about playing such tricks on you.

KrawlMan

Freki said:
4 players max confirmed ;-)

Has this been addressed yet by Blizz? I know people have been bitching about the AH and the Online DRM enough to get a response from Blizzard, but what about going from 8 to 4 players? That's one of my biggest gripes right now.

DieH@rd said:
Blizz should automatically reduce chances of finding loot/gold for players who clock in insane amount of playtime.

Why on earth would they do that? It either takes insane luck or insane playtime to get amazing drops in Diablo 2 since, unlike WoW where enemies have set loot tables with decent drop %s, enemies in Diablo drop anything, and and great stuff has an ungodly low drop chance.

If they want to bring about extensive AH usage so they can keep on collecting their fees, there is no way that will happen.

nah, it's been 4 player max for a while now. IIRC, they complained that it made it way too hard to see what was going on with more players.

Top Bottom