• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed - FarCry: New Dawn

Dibils2k

soooooo is this a full priced game? looks like just a reskin of the old map...

EDIT: nvm saw in the trailer link that its $40, better but still will wait for cheaper, havent even finished Far Cry 5 yet

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

I can't wait to enhance my experience with EXP booster packs and resource packs!

Ubisoft? No, thanks. Farcry 5 was fine, but Ubisoft is going "Live Services" now.

KonradLaw

The funny thing is if you want great black characters in Far Cry game the very best place for them is as villains. Aside from FC3's Brody the protags tend to be underdeveloped in the series, but they always deliver great villains.

Papa

Banned
Not everyone is outraged obviously but read this thread, there's at least half a dozen contributions along the lines of "so woke".

Maybe outrage was the wrong word, but my point stands. People can only see the cover art from a sceptical perspective. Guess that's what I meant by "outrage".

Again, the narrative created is the only reason a game could possibly have black female leads is to try and be PC... rather than just because they wanted to have black female leads full stop.

What's the 2018 condition where a game can ever have a non White male protagonist without these accusations? . I'm genuinely interested. 20 years ago on British TV there was a show with a black lawyer. I remember my dad commenting how they were trying to be PC. Twenty years later there's lots more black lawyers. Weird how cultural change works. My dad was kind of right...but also kind of wrong.

It is pretty damn woke though.

It is essentially a standalone expansion pack. It's not full priced, so IMO it's a good thing. Plus I like that I will be able to return to old locations and see them in changed form. This is one of the things that makes Yakuza so good.

Oh. I thought it looked like a FarCry 5 spin off or something. I heard Hope County and wondered if it was an expansion or dlc because I thought each FarCry game took place in different locations.

Zewp

Not everyone is outraged obviously but read this thread, there's at least half a dozen contributions along the lines of "so woke".

Maybe outrage was the wrong word, but my point stands. People can only see the cover art from a sceptical perspective. Guess that's what I meant by "outrage".

Again, the narrative created is the only reason a game could possibly have black female leads is to try and be PC... rather than just because they wanted to have black female leads full stop.

What's the 2018 condition where a game can ever have a non White male protagonist without these accusations? . I'm genuinely interested. 20 years ago on British TV there was a show with a black lawyer. I remember my dad commenting how they were trying to be PC. Twenty years later there's lots more black lawyers. Weird how cultural change works. My dad was kind of right...but also kind of wrong.

Pretty much this. I saw the cover and already knew the regressive righties (of which NeoGAF has plenty) were going to pitch a fit.

Oh. I thought it looked like a FarCry 5 spin off or something. I heard Hope County and wondered if it was an expansion or dlc because I thought each FarCry game took place in different locations.

I think this is just a spinoff from the main series, like Blood Dragon back in the day. AA rather than a AAA game.

Last edited:

Barnabot

I may be having a bad impression but according to the trailer the two women seemed like two full fledged assholes I'd never like to play with. Are you guys sure these two are not the main antagonists instead? Maybe another female (who could be not that much of asshole as those two) could be the main protagonist of this game instead? I know that far cry has a history of most of protagonist being assholes but I guess UbiWoke is trying too hard with this game (if those two are the real protagonists).

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
The funny thing is if you want great black characters in Far Cry game the very best place for them is as villains. Aside from FC3's Brody the protags tend to be underdeveloped in the series, but they always deliver great villains.

Well if you make characters with personality some people might not identify with them idk.
But Brody's descent from scared kid to full blown sociopath fueled by drugs was pretty cool

EDMIX

The two women are the villains though.

Ok but, have you read this dude's post? They basically just assume everything and stuff like this " they're giving the SJWs what they wanted" might show they probably didn't read what the game was about, simply assumed and proceed to get triggered.

All they do is argue about political stuff. In order for them to want it, it must religiously, politically etc match up with their beliefs or something..

I read what it was about, looks cool, love the setting and might pick it up.

I think the concept is too similar to Rage 2, only Rage 2 looks way better both in art and gameplay. It's a good thing for Ubi that their game is releasing first.

plushyp

You must hate Yakuza games :D
And lol..it's pretty much expansion pack. So yes, charging 40$ for this much content is pretty damn cheap.
I haven't played a Yakuza game but given all that I have seen of it from gameplay videos, your comparison to them is doing the Yakuza series a huge disservice.
30$ would have been fine but I really want to live in your world where you think 40$ is 'pretty damn cheap' for something that reuses a massive chunk from the preceding game.

Last edited:

baphomet

I haven't played a Yakuza game but given all that I have seen of it from gameplay videos, your comparison to them is doing the Yakuza series a huge disservice.
30$ would have been fine but I really want to live in your world where you think 40$ is 'pretty damn cheap' for something that reuses a massive chunk from the preceding game.

Have you seen the gameplay?

EDMIX

I can really tell you noped out lol.

The reactions here are tame compared to how Reset would respond to something they don’t like. There maybe have been a few hot tales but for the most part there hasn’t been anything close to reset levels of hyperbole.

Nice try.

"reactions here are tame compared to how Reset would" ? Well they shouldn't even be comparable in the first place. Its not to the same level, but a lot of the post are pretty much aiming for the same things. Its to the point were some of you are legit as annoying as SJW and you don't even get it.

Just replace a few words and you are arguing the exact same thing.

Its wrong to jump on Uncharted and its developers with this whole "white man agenda" or "alt right agenda" JUST based on the characters demographic. When SJW do that, its stupid, dumb, disrespectful and irrelevant to the game.

Its wrong to jump on Farcry New Dawn and its developers with this whole "woke agenda" or "sjw" and or "left agenda" JUST based on the characters demographic. When Anti-SJW do that, its stupid, dumb, disrespectful and irrelevant to the game.

So you guys are arguing the same things, different demographic. Its just as dumb and stupid. I love hearing folks say junk about not getting why SJW do this or that or how dumb they are not to play a game based on such a thing, (proceeds to tell folks they won't play game cause person might be "woke") . You might get them more then you realize if you just start replacing a few words, you are really arguing the same thing just different demographic.

EDMIX

I play the Yakuza series and what they are comparing is correct. Literally it is 1.1 exactly like that. Same city a few times, different story, scenes, missions etc. This works well for them as the city is simply the location, the meat of why you play is the missions themselves. It would be like saying you can't watch Cheers cause they are always in the same bar or something.

Trust me on this, its not what you think and once you play a few Yakuza games, you'll get why I'm telling you the location being the same is not a deal breaker.

plushyp

I play the Yakuza series and what they are comparing is correct. Literally it is 1.1 exactly like that. Same city a few times, different story, scenes, missions etc. This works well for them as the city is simply the location, the meat of why you play is the missions themselves. It would be like saying you can't watch Cheers cause they are always in the same bar or something.

Trust me on this, its not what you think and once you play a few Yakuza games, you'll get why I'm telling you the location being the same is not a deal breaker.
I never said anything negative about Yakuza. I have problem with the comparison since Far Cry is an open world whereas Yakuza is more confined, hub like which focuses on story content first and foremost. Story is secondary to the experience in Far Cry leaving things upto the player with a repetitive gameplay loop that hasn't evolved much since FC3.

Looks kinda like rage 2, also splattering everything with pink isnt really adding color. This doesnt seem like something i'd play, pass.

The problem is that you are reacting the same way any 'NPC' would. See how most of the people here are getting triggered by the same aspects? And never to point out exactly what the point is:

- Marketing? at the beginning I observed some line being draw using this argument, up until this point, fine. Legit unique complain, given how the covers were like in the series before

The it came down to the GamerGate NPC dilemma

- SJW are pushing hard the racial - social - feminazi agenda... You guys can't even see the intention behind it. They already did it, and end up being a fluke without having consistency. FC5 was this same drama.

My opinion is that FC is strayng far from its origins on the 5th and now i know they are gone for good. The game exhales Rage 2-like thematic. Even the Pink is a color key in the thematic. No paradise exploration. No wild stuff

But given the assumptions... What's wrong with having ebony girls as characters? No one here even knows if they are the MC or not (even though it is highly likely) due to the cover.

Even if they are conceived in blank progressive lines for the lulz, we don't know yet. We only have a fucking cover

Will there be progressive agenda lines and themes in side quests? Obviously, we all know it. Even AC hasn't escaped it. The thing is that with what we have now, the assumptions are extremely Biased

I just think it’s terrible cover art. With a side of UbiWoke.

Give me all the black female antagonists/protagonists you want as long as you make a good game.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Yeah it's hilarious looking at the triggered reactions on page one. Some people here are hypersensitive to race and gender from reading too much propaganda. I sometimes have discussions with gamergate types and it's a recurring theme of reading their aggrieved perspective into every game up until the moment it comes out and they're proven wrong (see Horizon Zero Dawn)

Fbh

Looks....ok.

Looks a lot like Rage 2 and IMO from the trailer we saw of both yesterday the actual gameplay looks more fun in Rage 2

Mr Hyde

I had thoughts of buying Far Cry 5 somewhere down the line and now Ubi just spoiled the fucking ending. Thank you. Maybe I pick it up in the bargain bin.

Sadly I thought I wanted this game but what I wanted and what they made just don’t line up. I was hoping for a more fallout type experience and this looks more rage. I’ll still give it a shot and I get why they went this route but a slightly toned down survival experience could have been great too.

EDMIX

I never said anything negative about Yakuza. I have problem with the comparison since Far Cry is an open world whereas Yakuza is more confined, hub like which focuses on story content first and foremost. Story is secondary to the experience in Far Cry leaving things upto the player with a repetitive gameplay loop that hasn't evolved much since FC3.

"I have problem with the comparison since Far Cry is an open world whereas Yakuza is more confined "

They are not the same games, we know, what is being compared is HOW that is being used. So it might be bigger, but you still ultimately play it for its content of its world. It would be like saying you can't film a movie in a city that another movie was filmed in and just completely ignore concept, genre, content etc.

Not talking about my personal opinion on Far Cry games either, simply stating that Yakuza using the world many times but telling different stories, missions etc is no different and they do a great job every time. So the way I see it, if someone can tell me a different story, different concept, genre etc but use a city I've seen before, I'd be 100% ok with that.

We can watch 2 different films shot in the same city and still see different films you know. It would be like saying you saw a film shot in a city used to film I Am Legend BEFORE the apocalypse and suddenly you can't cause its the same location as if the location is the whole film or something lol

plushyp

"I have problem with the comparison since Far Cry is an open world whereas Yakuza is more confined "

They are not the same games, we know, what is being compared is HOW that is being used. So it might be bigger, but you still ultimately play it for its content of its world. It would be like saying you can't film a movie in a city that another movie was filmed in and just completely ignore concept, genre, content etc.

Not talking about my personal opinion on Far Cry games either, simply stating that Yakuza using the world many times but telling different stories, missions etc is no different and they do a great job every time. So the way I see it, if someone can tell me a different story, different concept, genre etc but use a city I've seen before, I'd be 100% ok with that.

We can watch 2 different films shot in the same city and still see different films you know. It would be like saying you saw a film shot in a city used to film I Am Legend BEFORE the apocalypse and suddenly you can't cause its the same location as if the location is the whole film or something lol
These comparisons with films or television shows is pretty moot because they are not an interactive medium unlike games. I get what you're saying but this is not the best way to get your point across.

Regardless, at the end of my previous post I said "repetitive gameplay loop that hasn't evolved much since FC3" which is a bigger concern since the gameplay aren't helping in alleviating them.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't mind black ladies being the leads in this game but that cover art is horrendous! The "Father" being hung for target practice and looking "oh so scared" really neuters the character created in the first game. The snarky smiles on their faces is pretty stupid too.

I hope this cover art is fake and hope this doesn't end up feeling like forced wokeness. That was how WD2 felt to me and this looks to capitalize on that same trend. I guess they did warn us though.
I think this is really a great step forward for the medium, I mean all developers know that enthusiasts absolutely LOVE being force fed games clearly driven by identity politics. Look at how well Battlefield V has done.

Why are some of you guys so afraid of change or something being different? Identity Politics? Really?

EDMIX

These comparisons with films or television shows is pretty moot because they are not an interactive medium unlike games. I get what you're saying but this is not the best way to get your point across.

Regardless, at the end of my previous post I said "repetitive gameplay loop that hasn't evolved much since FC3" which is a bigger concern since the gameplay aren't helping in alleviating them.

" they are not an interactive medium unlike games." Doesn't matter.

If you have a film in a city before a apocalypse and a film shot in the same city with a completely different concept, story etc simply just the same location, that doesn't mean you are watching the same film or anything like that.

Lets do the same comparison with a game.

Days Gone...

Same location with infected, decaying building falling apart, broken down cars etc

Days Gained, the Days Gone prequel (lolz we just making this up)

Same location with regular humans, same buildings but intact and functional, running cars etc

You get it yet? The location isn't the only damn part of the game ,WHAT YOU DO is the game. It would be like if Suckerpunch wanted to do a mystery crime game and use the Settle location they used in InFamous Second Son...... so the city of Settle exist in real life, they'd have zero reason not to use the same city considering its of a different context, concept, genre etc.

When I play Yakuza, I'm playing for the story, missions, characters etc. Yes, they are in the same places sometimes, but the subject matter, mission etc are the real purpose, not a what a street or a building looks like.

JUST like you watching Cheers might be for the different situations happening in the show and not simply to see a different settings. I thought it would bother me with Yakuza, but after I played a few of them, I realized how dumb it was to even think that when you really, really think about.

Weiji

Banned
I don’t see an issue here so long as those girls are in fact the villains.

I guess the issue here is that if you flipped the genders and skin colors they would 100% be the villains.

So the fact people aren’t sure if the girls are villains or not is basically 2018 in a nutshell.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh sweet. They're the baddies.

So I get to shoot some Antifa dickheads.

In.

8ubGFLt.gif

thief183

Ok... I need to chill a little bit cause yesterday I've been a bit too harsh to the cover... but still it sucks... I mean ...they merged all that could trigger me (and other) all in the same cover, maybe with a little less pink, everything would have been different...

Btw, I'm pretty sure they did this to get away whith whatever they want with the next Farcry^^

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Ok... I need to chill a little bit cause yesterday I've been a bit too harsh to the cover... but still it sucks... I mean ...they merged all that could trigger me (and other) all in the same cover, maybe with a little less pink, everything would have been different...

Btw, I'm pretty sure they did this to get away whith whatever they want with the next Farcry^^

Triggers? Oooh, I think you may enjoy this video:

Elfstar

The cover looks disgusing anyway because it's just the same hideous "cg character looking so ANGRY AND BADASS while holding guns" american focus-tested crap we're getting with every single blockbuster game.

That said, i get that some folk really want to find any excuse possible to just come here and shout braindead "both sides" rethorics, but you really can't pretend that there isn't an ongoing trend among most big western publishers of noticeably using identity politics for either full-on propaganda, plain virtue signalling intents or purposefully provocative marketing campaigns (like Ubisoft has done with the lastest Far Cry games), so there's really nothing to be outraged at when increasingly exasperated people just feel the need to point that out on a gaming forum, especially when it's so unsubtle and tawdry.

Breakage

The cover isn't even subtle, so it can't be "unintentional" in its meaning.
Would they have swapped the races around? Of course they wouldn't.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i can't believe this takes place in the same location lol. this is going to be the same map but with more flowers. i knew they were lazy when Primal had the literal same geography that was in 4, but that sold tons of copies anyways, so they might as well.

props for the cover tho. they got lots of free PR from oblivious justice journalists thinking FC5 was going to have some brave political stance (a FPS against guns lol ok) so makes sense they would take that path again. no doubt this will get them a handful of posi polygon/kotaku articles.

Last edited:

chaos789

Banned
I thought this forum didn’t bring politics into the gaming topic part. Oh well,I guess I was wrong.

This place is no different than ERA, just bitching from another perspective.

I personally have no interest in this game. I am burned out on Far Cry and I think the series needs to take a 2-3 year break at least.

Seyfert

So, this one is character creation like main game or not?

I am just not too keen playing girl in video game.... JKD lol post like this will get you banned in the other side of the community , you know where.

I will swallow at $40 price is ok for reskin. Depend on how busy at that time. Q1 is already crazy.

Last edited:

thief183

Triggers? Oooh, I think you may enjoy this video:

I tried to watch it but I can0t understand well what he is saying, I need to get home (at job now), I'll let you know :D

Btw I'm not a supersenstitive trigger easy guy, but you can't deny they really tried hard in this cover ^^

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I tried to watch it but I can0t understand well what he is saying, I need to get home (at job now), I'll let you know :D

Btw I'm not a supersenstitive trigger easy guy, but you can't deny they really tried hard in this cover ^^

You can turn off the sound and use CLosed Captions, just FYI. Not many can stand the voice.

The cover is ugly, from an artistic standpoint - but I did think people overreacted here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom