• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Silicon Knights laid off half their workforce, working on requested sequel

Hana-Bi

Hopefully it'll be TH2 which will then also include a remake of TH1 and the sequel and final part of the trilogy, TH3.

Is that too much to ask for?

The wait is killing me and all those news about SK aren't really helping...

Mama Robotnik said:
Just to evidence this, back in the day Crystal Dynamics came on board towards the end of development on Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. Take a look at this Crystal Dynamics staff-member linkedin for an idea of how much they had to amend SK's work:

If this is true, then it sounds like Crystal Dynamics literally came in and rescued the entire Legacy of Kain project. Its like they saw what SK had been working on for the last few years, and had to urgently come in and overhaul most of the game. It certainly corresponds with that rumour that Crystal flew out an absolute ton of staff to Canada in the last few months of Kain's development.

Of course, this is a linkedin profile, so they could be somewhat stretching their contribution. But the next bit...

makes it sound like Silicon Knights couldn't manage anything at all, from budgeting, meals, documents, health and safety, etc, and when Crystal arrived on the scene they to do it for them. The "serving the company's interests at great personal sacrifice" sounds painful.

Again, its a linkedin profile so take it with a pinch of salt.

So Seth Carus is not at Crystal Dynamics anymore, basically the key members of the Soul Reaver team are no longer there.

Roto13

Ridley327 said:
Well, they did let Sakurai back into the fold after he left the company.
Yeah, but Sakurai didn't make a fool of himself after he left. He doesn't need a babysitter.

watership

wtf? We're now doing revisionist history on SK's past successes and deconstructing their involvement in anything good about their games? I know people love to hate this dev now, it's a 'thing' now... but this is bullshit.

Cheerilee

watership said:
wtf? We're now doing revisionist history on SK's past successes and deconstructing their involvement in anything good about their games? I know people love to hate this dev now, it's a 'thing' now... but this is bullshit.
It's not new. People have been doing that on these boards since back when Dyack was allowed to post here and argue with the ones doing it.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Gamer @ Heart said:
Didn't too human do 600k + ltd worldwide? Its not as big of a failure as people think.
Yeah but good luck with getting the sequel to sell anything - the first game fell SO low in trade-in cost after a certain amount of time. The game's reputation is completely in the gutter.

Incidentally GAME just forced the Official Prima Game Guide on me one time for an astounding 1p. A penny! I've got it, of course. :D Is this a regular thing that happens to game guides or just because it's Too Human?

If this won't be Eternal Darkness 2 for Wii U then the article is a total and utter lie because I can't imagine there being more requests for a Too Human sequel.

watership said:

Just caught this. If you are referring to my post linking to a Crystal Dynamics linkedin detailing their contribution to the game; What would you prefer? That we could all remain ignorant and I hadn't posted it?

Its a unique (if probably biased) insight into what it was like working alongside the company, and focussing their talents into something notable. I certainly have no regrets posting it.

And just to add: I'll always love Silicon Knights for Eternal Darkness and Legacy of Kain, two of my most adored, cherished games. Its just a shame that they have gone from this greatness down an unfortunate and questionable path.

Philthy

By returning to its roots, I hope they mean a sequel to Cyber Empires. It was one of the best mech strategy, action, rpg hybrids ever made. Put so many hours into it. It would translate well for current consoles. The mech genre has been a black hole of nothingness for the past decade and a half with the exception of Chromehounds.

Bjoern the Smexy said:
If this won't be Eternal Darkness 2 for Wii U then the article is a total and utter lie because I can't imagine there being more requests for a Too Human sequel.

Everyone that I've talked to about TH said that they liked it. Hell I even know a raving fan, strangely enough. I personally didn't buy it after playing the demo because it wasn't my thing but hey, neither is football so there's that.

I'd love to see Eternal Darkness get some love, but we'll see where it goes. Pretty sure we all know what killed Silicon Knights unfortunately, and it wasn't so much a game as something else....

Busty

Banned
So it sounds like a sequel to Too Human which will be in development for 'next gen platforms', then quietly become an iOS game that Dyack will develop out of his basement and then quietly fade into nothingness.

Talk is cheap. Which presumably is why Dyack will be doing so much of it in future.

tmarques

Gamer @ Heart said:
Didn't too human do 600k + ltd worldwide? Its not as big of a failure as people think.

It was a pack-in game in Brazil for a while, and I'm assuming in other territories as well. I can guarantee I wouldn't have played it otherwise, and have no interest in a sequel.

StevieP

Banned
Busty said:
So it sounds like a sequel to Too Human which will be in development for 'next gen platforms', then quietly become an iOS game that Dyack will develop out of his basement and then quietly fade into nothingness.

Talk is cheap. Which presumably is why Dyack will be doing so much of it in future.

Maybe he's working on Sadness

Ridley327 said:
Well, they did let Sakurai back into the fold after he left the company.
The company president's former closest colleague and one of his best friends?

Gee, I honestly can't imagine what the difference would be between Sakurai and Dyack. Can't imagine at all.

Top Bottom