• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Console-Quality" Disney Infinity 3.0 Coming to Apple TV

Guevara

in3_boxart_starterpack_appletv.png

The Apple TV is getting a notable new game today. This morning, Disney announced the launch of its highly anticipated Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition for Apple TV. This “toys-to-life” gaming platform from Disney allows players to use real-world interactive figures to activate original storylines in virtual worlds. This latest edition follows other popular launches like the Marvel Super Heroes release last year and the August release of 3.0 itself.

As an Apple TV starter pack, the new set includes a SteelSeries Nimbus Wireless Controller and a black Bluetooth Disney Infinity Base, as well as the “Star Wars: Twilight of the Republic” Play Set piece, with Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano figures.

For those who purchased earlier Disney Infinity editions, the company notes that all the figures and Power Discs from the 1.0 and 2.0 releases will be fully compatible with the new Apple TV version of the game.

In addition, thanks to the Apple TV’s support for third-party controllers, the Nimbus Wireless Controller has been configured to work with the new streaming media player hardware, while still allowing users to play the game as intended, the company says.

“Apple TV represents an incredible opportunity for us to bring Disney Infinity to a new audience of players who may not have a game console in their household,” said John Blackburn, SVP and GM, Disney Infinity.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/11/di...e-tv-along-with-a-stars-wars-themed-play-set/

Seems like a really smart idea.

Dinjooh

Uh no?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/grand-theft-auto-iii/id479662730?mt=8

Category: Games
Updated: Sep 21, 2015
Version: 1.3.5
Size: 487 MB

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-wars-knights-old-republic/id611436052?mt=8

Category: Games
Updated: May 21, 2015
Version: 1.2.3
Size: 1.99 GB

I'm guessing he means this:

https://developer.apple.com/library/tvos/documentation/General/Conceptual/AppleTV_PG/

Local Storage for Your App Is Limited

The maximum size of an Apple TV app is limited to 200 MB.

No idea if this applies.

liquidfox00

Neo Member

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
The main app download for Apple TV is limited to 200MB but additional data can be downloaded by the app after installation, much like how some iOS apps do. The additional data may be removed to free up storage automatically by the Apple TV, but it can just be downloaded again should this happen. It's stupid, but eh, Apple.

Those are phone and iPad apps.

Everywhere I've read has app sizes at 200mb.
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/09/new-apple-tv-200-storage-2-ram/

lol Apple TV actually has a 200MB limit on apps? That's crazy

I apologize liquidfox00. Seems you had the right of it and that is then an interesting question

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I though the app size for games is capped at 200mb? Is this title streaming only?

Main app bundle is limited to 200MB. Resource and on-demand bundles can climb up to 20GB total. This isn't an Apple TV thing.. This is an iOS app thinning thing, which tvOS is required to use at launch (iOS/iPhone/iPad are optional but recommended for app thinning, for now)

App size is also not accurate. Once loaded, you 'can' download hi-res textures and audio after that which doubles the app size.

More than doubles. Total available space per sandbox (app) is 20GB currently.

The purpose of app thinning is to reduce download sizes, and to start removing all of the app's assets needed across ALL platforms (in theory as many as 7 or 8 different platforms currently) only loading/downloading the assets/code needed for the actual device the app is running on.

liquidfox00

Neo Member
The main app download for Apple TV is limited to 200MB but additional data can be downloaded by the app after installation, much like how some iOS apps do. The additional data may be removed to free up storage automatically by the Apple TV, but it can just be downloaded again should this happen. It's stupid, but eh, Apple.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I knew there had to be a work around for that limit.

I got a question, that nimbus controller works with any game on IOS?, or is there just an x amount of games that are compatible?, I'd love to play some rpg with it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I got a question, that nimbus controller works with any game on IOS?, or is there just an x amount of games that are compatible?, I'd love to play some rpg with it.
Compatible with any game that supports MFi controller. Which is currently >800 titles.

I mean you can't support an accessory if you don't program support for the accessory, you know?

Main app bundle is limited to 200MB. Resource and on-demand bundles can climb up to 20GB total. This isn't an Apple TV thing.. This is an iOS app thinning thing, which tvOS is required to use at launch (iOS/iPhone/iPad are optional but recommended for app thinning, for now)

More than doubles. Total available space per sandbox (app) is 20GB currently.

The purpose of app thinning is to reduce download sizes, and to start removing all of the app's assets needed across ALL platforms (in theory as many as 7 or 8 different platforms currently) only loading/downloading the assets/code needed for the actual device the app is running on.
I meant DI 3 specifically.

Top Bottom