• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consumer/Developer/Retailer opinions from Japan

ksamedi

Famitsu surveyed 50 game makers, 126 game shops, and 736 game players on a variety of subjects including what they thought would be hot in 2007. Results show an overwhelming support for Nintendo's Wii and DS, although other platforms did have some positive comments as well. Without further ado, here are the results.

Question 1: What will be hot in 2007?
1 - Wii (412)
2 - Dragon Quest IX (122)
3 - Nintendo DS (107)
4 - Playstation 3 (56)
5 - Cannot predict (50)
6 - Xbox 360 (28)
6 - Final Fantasy XIII (28)
8 - Metal Gear Solid 4 (22)
9 - Blue Dragon (16)
10 - Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (15)

Break down of votes:
Players
1 - Wii (357)
3 - Nintendo DS (79)
4 - PS3 (52)
5 - Cannot predict (31)

Makers
1 - Wii (24)
2 - Cannot predict (8)
3 - Nintendo DS (5)
4 - Network related games (2)
4 - Hardware peripherals (2)

Shops
1 - Wii (31)
2 - Nintendo DS (23)
3 - Cannot predict (11)
4 - Network related games (8)
5 - Playstation 3 (4)

Write-in Feedback
-I think the Wii will become even more popular than now due to word of mouth. (Male, 19, College Student)
-Even though everyone is surely giving attention to the Nintendo DS, I think the big hit in 2007 will be the Wii. (Female, 19, Trade School Student)
-I want the new Dragon Quest IX that uses the touch-panel and Wi-Fi! (Male, 31, Government Worker)
-I think if the Playstation 3 were to offer more free game downloads than it would better prosper. (Male, 26, Company Worker)
-70% of inquiries coming to our shop are concerning the Wii. (Game Shop, Yamagata)
-Playstation 3 sales are settling down while we can't keep the DS and Wii in stock. It seems this year will be the year of Nintendo. (Game Shop, Saitama)
-The Wii has had a much better reaction than I thought it would. (Game Maker)
-Considering what has already been announced for it, it seems like the DS will do the best this year.(Game Maker)
-There are many possibilities of new uses for the Virtual Console and Wiimote.(Game Maker)

Question 2: Which hardware will have the best sales?
1 - Nintendo DS (432)
2 - Wii (326)
3 - Playstation 3 (116)
4 - Xbox 360 (26)
5 - Cannot predict (15)

Break down of votes:
Players
1 - Nintendo DS (311)
2 - Wii (272)
3 - Playstation 3 (106)
4 - Xbox 360 (26)
5 - Cannot predict (15)

Makers
1 - Nintendo DS (34)
2 - Wii (13)
3 - Playstation 3 (2)

Shops
1 - Nintendo DS (87)
2 - Wii (41)
3 - Playstation 3 (8)

Write-in Feedback
-Nintendo has gained a lot of weight with the announcement of Dragon Quest IX for the DS. The age of the portable game machine is about to come. (Male, 31, Designer)
-If the Playstation 3 was more available and the price dropped it seems like it could sell extremely well, but... (Male, 15, Jr. High Student)
-The Wii has received a wonderful reception from customers. It's selling like nothing before. (Game Shop, Shizuoka)
-Due in part to it's simple to use Wi-Fi, the DS has grown to have a plentiful lineup that can fit to any game player's likes. (Game Maker)
-As it has no regard for age or gender, the DS has the strength to take a very large audience. (Game Maker)

Question 3: What will be the game to look for on each system?

Playstation 2
1 - Nothing in particular (280)
2 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (97)
3 - Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix + (67)
4 - Super Robot Wars: OG (64)
5 - .hack//G.U. Vol.3 (28)
Write-in Feedback
-With the next generation already out I can't think of anything noteworthy coming to the Playstation 2. (Male, 25, Part-time Worker)
-There are a lot of male targeted games and nothing really fresh coming to the Playstation 2. (Female, 34, Government Worker)
-After Secret of Mana 4 there's really nothing that big coming out on the Playstation 2, is there? That said, I'm still hoping for more new releases. (Male, 22, Part-time Worker)

Playstation 3
1 - Metal Gear Solid 4 (269)
2 - Final Fantasy XIII (262)
3 - Nothing in particular (115)
4 - Resident Evil 5 (45)
5 - Gran Tourismo 5 (41)
Write-in Feedback
-The Playstation 3 most worth noting is Final Fantasy XIII. With this high-powered machine there's no telling how far it will take the game. (Male, 21, College Student)
-White Knight Story seems like a title that should draw a lot of people in. (Male, 18, Student)
-Metal Gear Solid 4 should be the the real catalyst. (Male, 32, Company Worker)
-Many people were amazed by Final Fantasy XIII's demo trailer. (Game Shop, Chiba)
-I'm interested in what kind of game Afrika will become. (Game Maker)

Wii
1 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl (370)
2 - Nothing in particular (127)
3 - Dragon Quest Swords (122)
4 - Super Mario Galaxy (94)
5 - Fire Emblem Wii (56)
Write-in Feedback
-Children buy Super Smash Bros. year after year so the newest installment is going to sell like crazy. (Female, 39, Company Worker)
-I also have hopes for the virtual console. (Male, 27, Dentist)
-I hope that Animal Crossing for the Wii will work with the immensely popular DS version. (Game Shop, Tokyo)
-It seems that Super Mario Galaxy is going to revive the life-less, Orthodox Mario of Old. (Game Maker)

Xbox 360
1 - Lost Odyssey (199)
2 - Nothing in particular (166)
3 - Halo 3 (95)
4 - Blue Dragon (91)
5 - Lost Planet (67)
Write-in Feedback
-Little by little the Xbox 360 is showing it's true spirit. It's fun to think how well it will sell when Halo 3 comes out. (Male, 27, unemployed)
-I've played the Lost Odyssey demo and I think this game will generate a lot of attention. (Male, 33, Company Worker)
-With games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey being released there's more and more to get Japan's attention. Let's see some more titles come to Japan! (Male, 28, Police Officer)

PSP
1 - Nothing in Particular (243)
2 - Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (219)
3 - Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (109)
4 - Final Fantasy Tactics: Lion War (71)
5 - Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (58)
Write-in Feedback
-With games like Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII coming, there are loads of titles to watch. (Male, 19, College Student)
-I'm planning on buying a PSP with Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. (Male, 25, College Student)
-I'm really looking forward to the sequel to Monster Hunter Portable. (Game Shop, Kanagawa)

Nintendo DS
1 - Dragon Quest IX (608)
2 - Phoenix Wright 4 (52)
3 - Nothing in particular (51)
4 - Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (23)
5 - Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (21)
Write-in Feedback
-With Dragon Quest 9 coming to the already popular Nintendo DS it will become a super mega-hit! (Male, 27, IT Engineer)
-I'm looking forward to the new training and practical type software for the DS. (Male, 19, unemployed)
-Of course Dragon Quest IX is the one to look for. I also anticipate playing other big game franchises. (Game Shop, Kanagawa)
-I'm interested in Level 5's new title, Prof Layton. (Game Maker)

Question 4: Who will be THE game maker of 2007?
1 - Nintendo (266)
2 - SquareEnix (181)
3 - Capcom (118)
4 - Sony Computer Entertainment (60)
5 - Sega (45)
6 - Konami (41)
7 - Microsoft (28)
8 - Level 5 (27)
9 - Bandai Namco Games (25)
10 - Mistwalker

In addition, participants were asked who they thought will be the game creator of 2007. The top 3 were: Hideo Kojima(1), Shigeru Miyamoto(2), and Yuji Horii(3).

source: Famitsu/
http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=7392

I think its going to be the year of Nintendo in 2007.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Thanks to ksamedi from the other thread, I think it deserves its own thread.

Famitsu surveyed 50 game makers, 126 game shops, and 736 game players on a variety of subjects including what they thought would be hot in 2007. Results show an overwhelming support for Nintendo's Wii and DS, although other platforms did have some positive comments as well. Without further ado, here are the results.

Question 1: What will be hot in 2007?
1 - Wii (412)
3 - Nintendo DS (107)
4 - Playstation 3 (56)
5 - Cannot predict (50)
6 - Xbox 360 (28)
6 - Final Fantasy XIII (28)
8 - Metal Gear Solid 4 (22)
9 - Blue Dragon (16)
10 - Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (15)

Break down of votes:
Players
1 - Wii (357)
3 - Nintendo DS (79)
4 - PS3 (52)
5 - Cannot predict (31)

Makers
1 - Wii (24)
2 - Cannot predict (8)
3 - Nintendo DS (5)
4 - Network related games (2)
4 - Hardware peripherals (2)

Shops
1 - Wii (31)
2 - Nintendo DS (23)
3 - Cannot predict (11)
4 - Network related games (8)
5 - Playstation 3 (4)

Write-in Feedback
-I think the Wii will become even more popular than now due to word of mouth. (Male, 19, College Student)
-Even though everyone is surely giving attention to the Nintendo DS, I think the big hit in 2007 will be the Wii. (Female, 19, Trade School Student)
-I want the new Dragon Quest IX that uses the touch-panel and Wi-Fi! (Male, 31, Government Worker)
-I think if the Playstation 3 were to offer more free game downloads than it would better prosper. (Male, 26, Company Worker)
-70% of inquiries coming to our shop are concerning the Wii. (Game Shop, Yamagata)
-Playstation 3 sales are settling down while we can't keep the DS and Wii in stock. It seems this year will be the year of Nintendo. (Game Shop, Saitama)
-The Wii has had a much better reaction than I thought it would. (Game Maker)
-Considering what has already been announced for it, it seems like the DS will do the best this year.(Game Maker)
-There are many possibilities of new uses for the Virtual Console and Wiimote.(Game Maker)

Question 2: Which hardware will have the best sales?
1 - Nintendo DS (432)
2 - Wii (326)
3 - Playstation 3 (116)
4 - Xbox 360 (26)
5 - Cannot predict (15)

Break down of votes:
Players
1 - Nintendo DS (311)
2 - Wii (272)
3 - Playstation 3 (106)
4 - Xbox 360 (26)
5 - Cannot predict (15)

Makers
1 - Nintendo DS (34)
2 - Wii (13)
3 - Playstation 3 (2)

Shops
1 - Nintendo DS (87)
2 - Wii (41)
3 - Playstation 3 (8)

Write-in Feedback
-Nintendo has gained a lot of weight with the announcement of Dragon Quest IX for the DS. The age of the portable game machine is about to come. (Male, 31, Designer)
-If the Playstation 3 was more available and the price dropped it seems like it could sell extremely well, but... (Male, 15, Jr. High Student)
-The Wii has received a wonderful reception from customers. It's selling like nothing before. (Game Shop, Shizuoka)
-Due in part to it's simple to use Wi-Fi, the DS has grown to have a plentiful lineup that can fit to any game player's likes. (Game Maker)
-As it has no regard for age or gender, the DS has the strength to take a very large audience. (Game Maker)

Playstation 2
1 - Nothing in particular (280)
2 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (97)
3 - Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix + (67)
4 - Super Robot Wars: OG (64)
5 - .hack//G.U. Vol.3 (28)
Write-in Feedback
-With the next generation already out I can't think of anything noteworthy coming to the Playstation 2. (Male, 25, Part-time Worker)
-There are a lot of male targeted games and nothing really fresh coming to the Playstation 2. (Female, 34, Government Worker)
-After Secret of Mana 4 there's really nothing that big coming out on the Playstation 2, is there? That said, I'm still hoping for more new releases. (Male, 22, Part-time Worker)

Playstation 3
1 - Metal Gear Solid 4 (269)
2 - Final Fantasy XIII (262)
3 - Nothing in particular (115)
4 - Resident Evil 5 (45)
5 - Gran Tourismo 5 (41)
Write-in Feedback
-The Playstation 3 most worth noting is Final Fantasy XIII. With this high-powered machine there's no telling how far it will take the game. (Male, 21, College Student)
-White Knight Story seems like a title that should draw a lot of people in. (Male, 18, Student)
-Metal Gear Solid 4 should be the the real catalyst. (Male, 32, Company Worker)
-Many people were amazed by Final Fantasy XIII's demo trailer. (Game Shop, Chiba)
-I'm interested in what kind of game Afrika will become. (Game Maker)

Wii
1 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl (370)
2 - Nothing in particular (127)
3 - Dragon Quest Swords (122)
4 - Super Mario Galaxy (94)
5 - Fire Emblem Wii (56)
Write-in Feedback
-Children buy Super Smash Bros. year after year so the newest installment is going to sell like crazy. (Female, 39, Company Worker)
-I also have hopes for the virtual console. (Male, 27, Dentist)
-I hope that Animal Crossing for the Wii will work with the immensely popular DS version. (Game Shop, Tokyo)
-It seems that Super Mario Galaxy is going to revive the life-less, Orthodox Mario of Old. (Game Maker)

Xbox 360
1 - Lost Odyssey (199)
2 - Nothing in particular (166)
3 - Halo 3 (95)
4 - Blue Dragon (91)
5 - Lost Planet (67)
Write-in Feedback
-Little by little the Xbox 360 is showing it's true spirit. It's fun to think how well it will sell when Halo 3 comes out. (Male, 27, unemployed)
-I've played the Lost Odyssey demo and I think this game will generate a lot of attention. (Male, 33, Company Worker)
-With games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey being released there's more and more to get Japan's attention. Let's see some more titles come to Japan! (Male, 28, Police Officer)

PSP
Write-in Feedback
-With games like Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII coming, there are loads of titles to watch. (Male, 19, College Student)
-I'm planning on buying a PSP with Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. (Male, 25, College Student)
-I'm really looking forward to the sequel to Monster Hunter Portable. (Game Shop, Kanagawa)

Nintendo DS
1 - Dragon Quest IX (608)
2 - Phoenix Wright 4 (52)
3 - Nothing in particular (51)
4 - Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (23)
5 - Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (21)
Write-in Feedback
-With Dragon Quest 9 coming to the already popular Nintendo DS it will become a super mega-hit! (Male, 27, IT Engineer)
-I'm looking forward to the new training and practical type software for the DS. (Male, 19, unemployed)
-Of course Dragon Quest IX is the one to look for. I also anticipate playing other big game franchises. (Game Shop, Kanagawa)
-I'm interested in Level 5's new title, Prof Layton. (Game Maker)

Question 4: Who will be THE game maker of 2007?
1 - Nintendo (266)
2 - SquareEnix (181)
3 - Capcom (118)
5 - Sega (45)
6 - Konami (41)
7 - Microsoft (28)
8 - Level 5 (27)
10 - Mistwalker

In addition, participants were asked who they thought will be the game creator of 2007. The top 3 were: Hideo Kojima(1), Shigeru Miyamoto(2), and Yuji Horii(3).

ethelred

Damn... the Dragon Quest IX responses and weight, despite being pretty expected, are still really impressive. Japan is going to go nuts for that game.

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
george_costanza.jpg

Looks like the Year of Nintendo!

argon

PSP

That's just.. sad =/

KTallguy

Banned

Yea, it's fun to predict how well it will sell ... in Japan :lol

Well, he's unemployed, so his credentials are bad...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
ksamedi said:
LOL Thanks but i already posted a thread about this just now following your advice :)
Yeah, I saw it, and thanks for creating it.
This thread is worthless, plz lock this mods. :)

Edit: Nm, threads merged, thanks mods.

FlyinJ said:

I wouldn't employ him either.
Maybe he was on holiday.

drumlord

ksamedi said:
Forgot, fixed now
Thanks, that's all I ask. David's been doing these non-standard Famitsu articles since we brought him on staff. If people like them, we'll keep doing them. If they just get copied and pasted, we may not know if people like them except the rare occasion (just now) that one of my staff sees it posted here.

ksamedi

IMO --> If the Wii succeeds like the DS Nintendo should be able to post a profit of atleast 1.5 billion in 2007/2008, that would make it a very big company

bluemax

Banned

Fast Food training DS?

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
ksamedi said:
If the Wii succeeds like the DS Nintendo will post a profit of atleast 1.5 billion in 2007/2008, making it one of the biggest companies in the world.

Huuuh?

Scum

Damn! Japan, NeoGAF and the internet am explode the day Dragon Quest IX is released! :lol

LevelNth

Banned
Who will be THE game maker of 2007?
1 - Nintendo (266)
2 - SquareEnix (181)
3 - Capcom (118)
5 - Sega (45)
6 - Konami (41)
7 - Microsoft (28)
8 - Level-5 (27)
10 - Mistwalker
Oh hell yeah! IMO, that's pretty damn impressive. Being the only non-publisher on the list (though not for long I guess) is awesome. The <3 continues to flow.

Also, every day now I feel like the Wii really will dominate Japan as much as the DS is, and this survey only adds to that. With that will come the Japanese content, and with that comes my purchase. Seems like it might just be an inevitability soon.

As I said in the other thread, this is a hell of work. Detailed and with an approach to a lot of arguments, this is what I call a good analysis and not like other stupid estimations that concluded with 4-5 numbers.

This thread said us a lot of things:

1) The most obvious is that Nintendo DS will own Japan like never before (is it really possible ?), thanks to Dragon Quest IX and Square-Enix. Nintedno HAS really to increase the production of his handheld in some ways, because when Dragon Quest will come out, they need as minimum 500k of hardware and 600-700k would be optimal. Don't try to say that I'm exagerating. DON'T. All Dragon Quest's fans will switch from the PS2 to Nintendo's handheld and the result will be crazy.

2) The Wii is on track to sell very well. Even of it lacks of a great Third Party support for the first quarter (outside Square-Enix and Dragon Quest Swords, the only Dragon Quest for a next-gen console, even if Spin-Off), the optimism is big in Japan for the console. Interesting thing: Super mario galaxy is not waited so much a I thought, but this doesn't mean that it will not sell like a fool, overall thanks to the resurgence of the Mario's franchise thanks to New Super Mario Bros. and his almost reached 4 millions mark. The Wii need something like Brain Training of Nintendogs was for the Nintendo DS. Yeah, Wii Sports is doing this job for now, but for how much time ? 2007 will be interesting.

3) The PS3 will skip his production's problems and the real war will begin. White Knights Story, Final Fantasy XIII and Metal Gear Solid are, without surprise, what make the console worth to buy. The price is really the only big wall between the PS3 and a monster success. Sony has to low the price, because it matters a lot if it is so high. I agree with all of you that the price hasn't helped the Gamecube, but there is a limit to all ! The PS2 was not so expensive ! The combination of these two negative factors is letal for the machine, so Sony has to do something, of all Third parties will have problems to sell their software because of the low hardware userbase.

4) PSP is going well, but not enough. Good games like Metal gear Solid are oxigen for the machine, but the handheld, even if has a lot of good games, need the real KILLER that destroy all. Dragon Quest IX would have been the angel of heavens, but now they need to do something, or otehrwise, the sales will go down.

5) Xbox360: they are too optimistic. Yeah, Blue Dragon has changed something, but let's face the reality: how many possibilities has Microsoft to sell even a million in the long term ? It is a shame, I know, because the machine has really good games, but I would not be too optimistic for the console...

ksamedi said:
If the Wii succeeds like the DS Nintendo will post a profit of atleast 1.5 billion in 2007/2008, making it one of the biggest companies in the world.

Wait. Where comes these numbers (unofficiales estimations of course) from ?

ethelred

LevelNth said:
Oh hell yeah! IMO, that's pretty damn impressive. Being the only non-publisher on the list (though not for long I guess) is awesome. The <3 continues to flow.

Also, every day now I feel like the Wii really will dominate Japan as much as the DS is, and this survey only adds to that. With that will come the Japanese content, and with that comes my purchase. Seems like it might just be an inevitability soon.

Pretty much, yeah. It definitely looks on track to be a really, really successful system in Japan, and that's going to mean all kinds of software content -- just like the DS. It's telling in that in these surveys, it gets a huge lead across the board -- gamers, retailers, and game developers are all picking it by heavy margins. And the actual game developers seem really eager to design for it.

soundwave05 said:
Anyone think the Wii might be able to surpass the GCN's userbase in Japan before 2007 is up? Seems possible.
Possible, yes. DS passed 4 million after 1 year + 1 week. I'm not sure what to really expect, but my personal weird comparison is with a front-heavy GCN. That is, arrange the GCN's weeks from best to worst. So far it seems Wii's first 6 weeks are beating out the front-heavy GCN at 6 weeks. For Wii to remain ahead it will have to have reached 2.64M by the end of 2007.

Luckett_X

Banned
It seems that Super Mario Galaxy is going to revive the life-less, Orthodox Mario of Old.

Haha funky, sounds like a japanese equivalent of me. taste the bitterness rainbow!

But man, its looking depressing for anyone looking for japanese titles to be pushing next gen power at all. Thank god for graphics whores like Itagaki and Kojima still surging on, as well as Capcom's seemingly complete ambivalence to the Wii. I understand that the Wii's potential with new control is great, but it really seems like Nintendo has spitefully cockblocked any significant visual and power-based design progress in Japan at least by a significant margin. The amount of Nintendo support appears to be insane.

Iwata must fall to sleep after laughter exhaustion every day. How soon until that laughter turns maniacal I don't know!

ksamedi

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Wait. Where comes these numbers (unofficiales estimations of course) from ?

My own guess, i think i should edit this so that it doesnt look like some analyst said this.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
DQIX is gona kill japan :lol Can't wait to it's release :lol

BTW, DS and Wii wining over japan is clear. I also think that DS and Wii will win over Europe too in minor numbers.

USA it's gona by a tie between Ps3/Xbox360/Wii.

DS best seller of the next gen :lol

LevelNth

Banned
ethelred said:
Pretty much, yeah. It definitely looks on track to be a really, really successful system in Japan, and that's going to mean all kinds of software content -- just like the DS. It's telling in that in these surveys, it gets a huge lead across the board -- gamers, retailers, and game developers are all picking it by heavy margins. And the actual game developers seem really eager to design for it.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed, but the reality is, I really don't mind the Wii doing really well. I've been looking into picking it up recently regardless ever since I got my DSL, which impressed me so much when I took it out of the box. I've only owned it for a month, but this is the most impressed and happy with Nintendo I've been since the SNES was at its height.

Still though, as long as the PS3 can get a good to great installed base as well (8-10m+) to guarantee support (unlike the PSP), I'll be happy. But if it does go the PSP route, that means we'll get little to no actual Japanese "next gen" content, and that'll ****ing suck shit.

Jammy

Banned
I think the greatest factor for the Wii is its insane potential to turn out a mainstream hit out of seemingly little. We saw this with the DS first with Nintendogs and Brain Age and now we're seeing it with Wii Sports and maybe Wii Play (definitely helped by the addition of a controller).

The Wii will have its huge sellers like Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Zelda: TP, etc., but the most popular games on the Wii will turn out to be games we haven't even heard of as of now.

Wacky new control methods and a mainstream appeal does that.

ethelred

LevelNth said:
... the reality is, I really don't mind the Wii doing really well. I've been looking into picking it up recently regardless ever since I got my DSL, which impressed me so much when I took it out of the box. I've only owned it for a month, but this is the most impressed and happy with Nintendo I've been since the SNES was at its height.

Really? That actually surprises me that you feel that way (it echoes my own thoughts on the thing perfectly, btw).

LevelNth said:
Still though, as long as the PS3 can get a good to great installed base as well (8-10m+) to guarantee support (unlike the PSP), I'll be happy. But if it does go the PSP route, that means we'll get little to no actual Japanese "next gen" content, and that'll ****ing suck shit.

I don't know that that will happen, honestly. Even if the PS3/Wii mirrors the PSP/DS situation perfectly, you're still going to see healthy, big budget support for the PS3. Because the truth is, the PSP has done pretty well from a hardware perspective, and it allows developers to do stuff that they'd like to do and that they couldn't do on the DS.

That's where you get stuff like Portable Ops, most of Namco Bandai's games... hell, even Crisis Core. Japanese developers and publishers will continue to put out some high profile projects for the PS3 just because the system will secure some measure of success and that'll be enough for those really high profile games.

ksamedi

LevelNth said:
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed, but the reality is, I really don't mind the Wii doing really well. I've been looking into picking it up recently regardless ever since I got my DSL, which impressed me so much when I took it out of the box. I've only owned it for a month, but this is the most impressed and happy with Nintendo I've been since the SNES was at its height.

Im sure all three consoles will do well this round, PS3 will shine in about a year from now, as is the case with the 360. I think everybody can be happy this gen, i know i wasnt with the Gamecube and missed the old Nintendo. the PS2 was great, but i still missed those great Nintendo titles every once in a while, with the Wii and DS, it feels as if Nintendo is back and that is nice as a Wii owner. But im surely going to pick up a PS3 once i get a HDTV and it actually comes out here in Europe.

PkunkFury

LevelNth said:

don't worry, one of the two big graphic consoles is bound to catch on well in the US even if Japan abandons them, and Japanese developers will still make content for that console knowing it will sell to a large market. Same reason we are seeing stuff from Capcom, Mistwalker, etc. on the 360 despite its poor performance back home.

Japan will go crazy for the Wii, but it isn't going to kill off other forms of gaming. Should be a true expansion and revitalization of the market, similar to the DS/PSP

Top Bottom