• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contra is up (xbla)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the filter is nasty, the border is nastier, and it's practically unplayable on a 360 pad -- thank god i've got a doa4 stick, cos randomly walking into a bullet when you're trying to duck isn't fun. but it's ****ING CONTRA, and there's a 1cc achievement, and i think i'm going to be neglecting gears til i've got it.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I can't wait for an XBLA game to surpass what MAME can do (2D stuff specifically).

Mr Poop

This is a much more pure arcade port than the other Konami games on XBL so far. I didn't make it far in the arcade version but I can say from what i played before it is spot on considering you have limited continues just like the arcade version ( this is the only arcade game I have ever played that has limited continues). The lack of konami code is okay cause you can add up to 7 lives in the settings. This makes it more than easy enough to beat it since it is way shorter than the NES version and it doesn't soil the purity of the Arcade port since you could do this with the dip switches on the old machines.

Digital eclipse did this game and I hope they do the rest of the games from now because they have nailed all the midway games. The fixed control settings suck but I got used to them. Took me like 20 mins to beat.

nubbe

You can turn off the filter

D-Pad sucks

No achievements with the code...!!? thumbs down

This or a Big Mac? ... both

Mr Poop

It's the first one Konami did right. The other games had music added that weren't in the originals that you couldn't remove. I'm a purist this stuff is important to me. I would like it if they had you insert coins like on MAME. I liked it.

Bog

Junior Ace
For anyone still on the fence, here's a conversation I had with my friend Kareem (who had just downloaded the game).

Kareem: Whoooooaaaaa, this game is smoooookin'!
Bog: yeah?
Kareem: holy. What a world we live in.
Kareem: What is the point of this game, though? What am I even doing?
Kareem: Boss time. Wowie Zowie.

MMaRsu

Banned
Bog said:
For anyone still on the fence, here's a conversation I had with my friend Kareem (who had just downloaded the game).

:lol

aku:jiki

Man, I didn't think I was going to like this after all this time seeing as how I'm not much of a retro hound and I had definitely decided to save my 800 points for Small Arms but now that I've gotten the demo I'm not so sure anymore. This game is pretty hot, even still. Filters and broken d-pad and all that whatever be damned, it's fun!

Gowans

Guys I'm all over this when I get back, Contra, 400 points and Co-op play.

Anyone feel like posting a review here, cant find one anywhere?

/bangs head of table at thougts of home, contra, gears and live

Seth C

Well, the game won't load for me. It get to the Contra menu but when I choose to play it, black screen, frozen 360. I only have the demo, but I'm ot buying the game if it won't even load for me...

NME

Seth C said:
Well, the game won't load for me. It get to the Contra menu but when I choose to play it, black screen, frozen 360. I only have the demo, but I'm ot buying the game if it won't even load for me...

Did you blow in the cartridge?

Seth C

NME said:
Did you blow in the cartridge?

If only I could! I just tried freeing up a GB on my HD and re-downloading the file, but neither helped. It completely locks the thing up, forcing me to get off the sofa and walk over to shut it off. I dunno what else to try.

robot

played the demo - good times. For $5 it's a no-brainer for online co-op alone, and I've never actually played the arcade version. Wish there was a NES version in there but thats wishful thinking. I remember reading there was an upgraded graphics option similair to frogger - anyone try em out yet?

Aeana

Maxrpg said:
Contra run through a 2xSAL filter... blech

Are you serious? Are any of the other Live Arcade games like that? I don't have a 360 or anything so I don't know, but yeesh. I really dislike 'enhanced scalers' such as 2xSaI/HQ2x/etc. :\

I love the arcade versions of Contra and Super Contra... the NES versions are good too.

someone said the XBLA arcade version of Contra has a mode with updated visuals, true or is it just the arcade version ?

Bog said:

that wouldn't happen to be NBA Great and movie legend Kareem Abdul Jabbar, would it?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Bog said:

Kareem smoked ALL the weed, didn't he? ALL of it.

Link1110

I tried this game at DigitalLife, and have this question:

Can you change the controls, or are you stuck with the horrible "Playing a GBA game on DS" control scheme?

I think the game plays pretty well. Yeah, the dpad is horrid, but you can use analog to play. The game doesn't seem quite arcade perfect to me (I've only played the trial so far). It's almost exact but not quite there. The sound effects don't seem as beefy as I remember them to be. The music doesn't sound the same, too, as it seems slightly arranged. Also, anyone else notice that on the 1st level, that waterfall doesn't animate. Was it like that in the arcade?

drohne

man, i'm rusty -- one credit only takes me as far as the level 2 boss, and i'm making all kinds of stupid mistakes. the control feels kinda laggy to me, at least relative to the nes version -- maybe i'm just not used to playing contra with a joystick. add me to your friends list if you play much contra -- we can get a little informal gaf score attack going. my gamertag is 'drohne.'

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Mr Poop said:
( this is the only arcade game I have ever played that has limited continues).

Rastan forced limited continues on the final level...SO LAME. But the music!

drohne

coincidentally i've been playing rastan off the taito memories comp -- that game is way better than i'd remembered. it's almost zelda 2 as a full-blown action game, and yeah, the music and pixel art are fantastic.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It gets really frustrating in the later levels though, plus the whole 'final level on one credit' thing is a total shot to the heart...but again, the music!

drohne

shinobi does that "no continues on the last level" thing too. s'****ed up. i've never beaten it. :/

Grifter

I thought the game looked amazing when I stumbled on to it, especially compared to what I had seen on the NES. If only I could hook up my MAS stick for these games.

NME

Is anyone else having a problem with their achievements, i.e. not unlocking them when you meet the specified requirements?

I've successfully completed a few (collect 4 weapons, make it to the first tunnel without dying, 100,000 points by the time you reach the second tunnel), but none of my achievements have been unlocked yet.

nubbe

NME said:
Is anyone else having a problem with their achievements, i.e. not unlocking them when you meet the specified requirements?

I've successfully completed a few (collect 4 weapons, make it to the first tunnel without dying, 100,000 points by the time you reach the second tunnel), but none of my achievements have been unlocked yet.
Are you playing on the default settings? only works on default.

Top Bottom