• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contractor charged with leaking classified NSA info on Russian hacking

Cirion

Banned
You guys have a weird definition of hero if you think leaking an on going investigation that wasn't being covered up is a hero...she is an idiot.

There is absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that all findings by the investigations get publicized, let alone that a GOP-majority congress acts on any of it. Besides, this isn't even directly about the Trump/Russia collusion or obstruction of justice by Trump, but rather about direct and previously unknown Russian attempts to actually hack the election itself - something that was previously denied by the very same institutions you seem to have so much faith in.

Also don't forget that there are enough Trump shills in the IC and other institutions, like the NYC FBI bureau. The IC is NOT a unified Anti-Trump-bloc.

DBl24eYUwAAt0ts.jpg

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/871858978699005960/photo/1

I think there should be whistleblower protections for leakers who act as Patriots to save our democracy. Flynn would still be in the white house if not for leakers.

no.

This leaker was NOT among those that have been leaking shit against the Trump Admin the past 6 months.

This leaker was a newbie who stupidly thought she could play leaker with absolutely zero idea on how to make sure not to get caught leaking.

And the worst part is that she leaked something that I'm sure the IC was going to eventually leak, but you could tell from the intercept article that they were still actively investigating key aspects about this and this leaker just compromised the investigation.

This leaker isn't a hero, nor is she a Russian traitor. No instead she is an idiot who got in over her head.

There is absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that all findings by the investigations get publicized, let alone that a GOP-majority congress acts on any of it. Besides, this isn't even directly about the Trump/Russia collusion or obstruction of justice by Trump, but rather about direct and previously unknown Russian attempts to actually hack the election itself - something that was previously denied by the very same institutions you seem to have so much faith in.

Also don't forget that there are enough Trump shills in the IC and other institutions, like the NYC FBI bureau. The IC is NOT a unified Anti-Trump-bloc.

Except I am certain that the IC was planning on leaking this shit AFTER they got 2 steps ahead of this story because that's what they have been doing before.

All that this idiot did was hurt an active IC investigation into our voting machines, which is a pretty big fuck up because we kinda don't want to give the Russians a heads up when we are getting close to possibly finding something.

Sucks that she got caught. I'm glad to see there's evidence they tried to directly interfere with the election though. That's more than the "meddling" bullshit that was being thrown around.

Schnozberry

Okay, you read the article. That's better than some. And you can admit that this is farther into our election system than it has ever been reliably reported the Russians have reached? That's the point I'm making. It''s novel, interesting information.

Both the NSA documentation and the Intercept article are purposefully vague in drawing conclusions. It's also fairly devoid of context in how commonplace this type of state to state espionage takes place. The US has a pretty long history of election interference in recent history, including Honduras, Venezuela, and Ukraine. If I had to guess, the Russians are responding to the latter, as US intelligence used used some clever propaganda and diplomatic tactics to foment the rise of Ukranian Nationalism. That being said, if everything asserted in the article is true, it's going to severely harm the Russians diplomatically.

Top Bottom