• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contractor charged with leaking classified NSA info on Russian hacking

ElRenoRaven

I'll take prime examples of how not to leak shit for 1000 Alex.

Can you be any dumber? I mean seriously. limited views of said item and you email the outlet you leaked it to from your work computer. STUPID STUPID STUPID. Not death worthy though at all. Course she was caught and should do some time for it. I'd say a couple years should be good. After that she's sure as hell not gonna get any jobs anywhere that needs shit kept secret. That's for sure.

Dopus

Banned
I don't believe anyone here has said that there are literal Russian intelligence officials running Wikileaks, or that they are actually a "front" name. However, questioning their clear and present ties and mutual backscratching is beyond thick.

"Assange is a Russian stooge."

"Wikileaks is an FSB Front."

And so on and so on.

These are all commonplace on these boards, and actually from a handful of posters in this very thread.

Assange literally had a TV show on RT, Russia's propaganda network. They disseminated the DNC emails on behalf of the Russians. If you don't see that they're one and the same, you're actively deluding yourself.

Kirblar, we've gone over this before. Right here in fact.

Dartmouth films produced and edited the show. RT merely bought the rights to it. They had nothing to do with it beyond slapping their logo in the bottom left corner.

nomis

well well

http://blog.erratasec.com/2017/06/how-intercept-outed-reality-winner.html#.WTYVIbGr1PM

it wasn't "folding" in the paperwork, that was a cover story by the DOJ.

giphy.gif

nomis

"Assange is a Russian stooge."

"Wikileaks is an FSB Front."

And so on and so on.

These are all commonplace on these boards, and actually from a handful of posters in this very thread.

Assange is a Russian "stooge". *Trump* is a Russian "stooge". That doesn't make them Russian plants, they're just all in a huge orgy to the detriment of the American IC and democratic institutions and the voting public.

Socivol

Bullshit. She probably didn't really grasp the full possible consequences. No one coming from a normal background willingly sacrifices a large chunk of his life for some document.

It's hard to believe she wouldn't grasp this. I work at a testing company and I have educational information on the Obama girls on my work computer as well at other well known kids and even I'm smart enough to know that information would be a shitstorm and easily traced back to me. I find it hard to believe someone with top security clearance wouldn't know the gravity of doing something like that. Especially in this political climate where Republicans are constantly talking about leaks.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Going to jail for a political protest is a good deal different than going to jail for leaking classified intelligence on a foreign government hacking your election...

If the NSA was just going to sit on it then it was her duty to leak it.
We don't know if that was the case, though. I'm guessing that it was. The small number of people who touched it certainly suggests that.

ElRenoRaven

If the NSA was just going to sit on it then it was her duty to leak it.
We don't know if that was the case, though. I'm guessing that it was.

Well who says the NSA was sitting on it? There are investigations going on right now related to Trump and Russia and the election. Odds are some of that stuff is being used in those investigations or would be at a future date.

Dopus

Banned
Assange is a Russian "stooge". *Trump* is a Russian "stooge". That doesn't make them Russian plants, they're just all in a huge orgy to the detriment of the American IC and democratic institutions and the voting public.

You're seriously going to pretend that it's not the narrative that Wikileaks = Russia? Come on now. Who are you kidding?

That was aimed at the premise of The Intercept having clean hands here that has been proposed ITT
Aye, it seems pretty clear they outted her inadvertently. Scanning and OCR'ing the documents before attempting to have them verified seems like a really easy step they neglected.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Well who says the NSA was sitting on it? There are investigations going on right now related to Trump and Russia and the election. Odds are some of that stuff being used in those investigations.

And only a half-dozen people printed it in the last several months? I don't buy it.

You absolutely do not know this and pull things out of your ass because of your anti-Intercept-bias. People already explained why the Intercept most likely isn't at fault. You are justifying destroying a young peron's life because she leaked some documents about a foreign authoritarian government helping to install a racist, demented wannabe-fascist as POTUS. A Potus who has already proven that he intends to obstruct justice at every turn, with a party that has proven that it doesn not give a damn about the crimes of its president. Shameful and without any compassion.

uuhhhh...... Relax bud. I really don't care about the Intercept one way or another, it's just a mediocre website. Don't really have a bias against it anymore than I have a bias against, like, mediocre videogames.

I'm not justifying destroying anybody's life to help Trump. I hate Trump. Leaking classified intelligence is still a crime though and it's a huge risk to take, especially for information that is more or less interesting, but not much more than that.

Cirion

Banned
Guys, please look at her Facebook-Page. This hate is just barbaric, unhinged. Facebook needs to shut it down right now. So many people without ANY compassion, glad they can enjoy the misfortune of others. It's definitely reflected in the US' broken justice system, with absolutely insane prison sentences, vindictive and hateful judges, attorneys, media coverage. It really makes me sad, exhaused and desperate. This country maybe can't be fixed.

Aye, it seems pretty clear they outted her inadvertently. Scanning and OCR'ing the documents before attempting to have them verified seems like a really easy step they neglected.

the intercept are a young (in age) group that have been criticised by main stream press before for sloppy reporting. It makes total sense they would screw up, the source was wet behind the ears. They didn't have Snowden helping them at each step.

edit: and the trump-can-do-no-wrong crowd are spinning her as a poster child for the "deep state" etc, not sure why TBH are they trying to suggest she is a cog in the vast clinton/soros conspiracy to make their guy look awful? If Trump followed their inane advice and "sacked all the obama appointees" she would still have had a job anyway.

Also, how the hell can the leaks be real but the news be fake and we love Wikileaks but we hate leaks? Like how the hell is any of that rational at all?

Rktk

Guys, please look at her Facebook-Page. This hate is just barbaric, unhinged. Facebook needs to shut it down right now. So many people without ANY compassion, glad they can enjoy the misfortune of others. It's definitely reflected in the US' broken justice system, with absolutely insane prison sentences, vindictive and hateful judges, attorneys, media coverage. It really makes me sad, exhaused and desperate. This country maybe can't be fixed.

She has a public Facebook profile?

Dopus

Banned
That's not a "narrative", that's the actual truth.

"I don't believe anyone here has said that there are literal Russian intelligence officials running Wikileaks, or that they are actually a "front" name." - nomis

But seriously, are you even going to defend your posts or not? Or will I see you in another thread talking about Assange and his RT show yet again?

You're throwing it on a little thick, aren't you?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Assange literally had a TV show on RT, Russia's propaganda network. They disseminated the DNC emails on behalf of the Russians. If you don't see that they're one and the same, you're actively deluding yourself.

There's degrees of separation there that may be too close for comfort but to use that as some kind of smoking gun is absurd.

http://www.salon.com/2012/04/18/attacks_on_rt_and_assange_reveal_much_about_the_critics/

Behaving like “a standard network interviewer” is exactly what Assange has never done and will not do. For America’s most Serious Journalists, the Kardashinans — or Amy Winehouse’s father — would “be next.” But not for Assange. That’s because, as he’s repeatedly demonstrated, he’s so committed to the goal of actual transparency and real journalism that (like Bradley Manning) he’s been willing, literally, to risk his life and liberty in pursuit of it. And that, in the eyes of American journalists, is precisely what makes him a “nut job.”

The real cause of American media hostility toward RT is the same as what causes it to hate Assange: the reporting it does reflects poorly on the U.S. Government, the ultimate sin in the eyes of our “adversarial” press corps.

Regarding disseminating info "on behalf" of "the Russians", if someone had hacked the RNC and gave their findings to Wikileaks, what do you think Wikileaks would have done with that info?

You're seriously going to pretend that it's not the narrative that Wikileaks = Russia? Come on now. Who are you kidding?

First off, Wikileaks IS blatantly working for Russia, and they are praising the leaker because this leaker was leaking a story long before it was meant to be leaked because it was clearly still being investigated and now that investigation has been compromised.

Second off, I will say that the leaker herself was NOT working the Russians and was just some dumbass newbie who saw that the IC was constantly leaking shit against Trump and thought she could get away with leaking shit about Russia she saw as recently as May 5th. Oddly enough most of the press didn't bite (because it wasn't coming from their usual sources) except The Intercept because they have been so goddamn thirsty for a scoop.

Is that rational enough for you?

So you want to be an NSA leaker: The three steps to success and fame!

1) Make a burner gmail account: The government doesn't have access to gmail, but just to be safe make a new gmail so if you forget to log out, they won't see all your personal information!

2) Print the information out on your work printers: Save money on ink, it's expensive!

3) Email your favorite writer. Make sure you use your work computer, their internet is much faster and they won't be looking their own traffic!

Snowden's Blanket Tip!

bAU5EVK.jpg

Cirion

Banned
uuhhhh...... Relax bud. I really don't care about the Intercept one way or another, it's just a mediocre website. Don't really have a bias against it anymore than I have a bias against, like, mediocre videogames.

I'm not justifying destroying anybody's life to help Trump. I hate Trump. Leaking classified intelligence is still a crime though and it's a huge risk to take, especially for information that is more or less interesting, but not much more than that.

You are just using a formalistic, legalist definition of "crime". Deep Throat leaking to Woodward and Bernstein also broke the law. And? It's about what people actually DO that matters. Yes, it's a huge risk that she should only have taken with way better care or not at all, but she deserves definitely not a quarter of what sadly is probably coming for her. It makes me very sad, a young, compassionate, thoughtful life, as you can see from her Facebook page, probably to be destroyed by vile assholes like Sessions and Trump.

Schnozberry

No. They've always said, until now, that there was no evidence of that.

Actual voting machines are not connected to public facing networks, so they aren't really hackable in conventional sense over the internet. This leak documents an attempt at hacking software companies tied to voting machines and multiple spearphishing campaigns aimed at local election officials. There's no evidence pointing to either success or failure regarding the hacking attempts.

Cirion

Banned
She has a public Facebook profile?

Yes, just type her name in the search box.

You're throwing it on a little thick, aren't you?

No. It's occassions like these where you can really see how hateful a big part of humanity is. Lots of gross sexism and homophobia there too (ENJOY LESBIAN PRISON RAPE HAHAHA)

TAJ

Rabid Trump fans seem really happy about this arrest, which is bizarre because it completely torpedoes their weird Seth Rich conspiracy theory.

Dopus

Banned
First off, Wikileaks IS blatantly working for Russia, and they are praising the leaker because this leaker was leaking a story long before it was meant to be leaked because it was clearly still being investigated and now that investigation has been compromised.

Second off, I will say that the leaker herself was NOT working the Russians and was just some dumbass newbie who saw that the IC was constantly leaking shit against Trump and thought she could get away with leaking shit about Russia she saw as recently as May 5th. Oddly enough most of the press didn't bite (because it wasn't coming from their usual sources) except The Intercept because they have been so goddamn thirsty for a scoop.

Is that rational enough for you?

Using words like "blatantly" and "obviously" doesn't suffice. It's about proof, and you need to provide it instead of peddling conspiracy theories. The IC doesn't even have the same assessment as you or others making such wild accusations.

I'm going to have to assume that yourself and kirblar have some evidence for it, so my suggestion would be to provide it to the FBI or NSA so we can finally expose Wikileaks for being the FSB front that they are.

skybald

The article from Politico said this

According to the DOJ criminal complaint, an unnamed government agency informed the FBI on Thursday that a news organization had recently contacted it to authenticate a leaked document. The unnamed agency confirmed that the document was real and classified at the top secret level.

According to the criminal complaint, Winner printed out the document “on around about” May 9 and subsequently sent it to “an online news outlet” through the mail.

The unnamed agency that produced the report determined that only six people had printed it out. After investigating those individual's work computers, the government determined that only Winner had emailed the news outlet.

It doesn't sound like she did a good job at trying to hide her activities at all.

But if the Intercept didn't remove identifiying information from the printed document, like microdots, then they were real sloppy as well. People on Twitter are decoding the microdots and know what the serial number of the printer is.

Actual voting machines are not connected to public facing networks, so they aren't really hackable in conventional sense over the internet. This leak documents an attempt at hacking software companies tied to voting machines and multiple spearphishing campaigns aimed at local election officials. There's no evidence pointing to either success or failure regarding the hacking attempts.

Okay, you read the article. That's better than some. And you can admit that this is farther into our election system than it has ever been reliably reported the Russians have reached? That's the point I'm making. It''s novel, interesting information.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I guess it depends on how you feel about the NSA.

If you believe the NSA is actively fighting Russian influence in the administration, then leaking this document could interfere with their investigation.

What great evil was exposed by this leak?

You are just using a formalistic, legalist definition of "crime". Deep Throat leaking to Woodward and Bernstein also broke the law. And? It's about what people actually DO that matters. Yes, it's a huge risk that she should only have taken with way better care or not at all, but she deserves definitely not a quarter of what sadly is probably coming for her. It makes me very sad, a young, compassionate, thoughtful life, as you can see from her Facebook page, probably to be destroyed by vile assholes like Sessions and Trump.

Wait... wait... So I'm using the word "Crime" improperly here, but you're comparing her leak to ... Deepthroat, Watergate, and the collapse of Richard Nixon...?

C'mon.

I hope that the punishment fits the crime here, and similar to you, I worry that it won't with Jeff Sessions at the helm of the Justice Dept. the punishment will be greater than the crime, but c'mon, this leak wasn't saving the Republic, taking down Trump, or doing anything else. If it was, reporters like Woodward and Bernstein would have been reporting on it, not fairly mediocre outlets desperate to break stories (and then seemingly screw them up).

But, for what it's worth, I don't use facebook so I'm not looking her up on facebook like you have, either. I'm sure she's otherwise a good person who did something illegal and very very stupid. But, if you're a government contractor and you're privileged to classified top secret information at the NSA, you have to know that there is tremendous risk to your livelihood when you leak that information.

Using words like "blatantly" and "obviously" doesn't suffice. It's about proof, and you need to provide it instead of peddling conspiracy theories. The IC doesn't even have the same assessment as you or others making such wild accusations.

I'm going to have to assume that yourself and kirblar have some evidence for it, so my suggestion would be to provide it to the FBI or NSA so we can finally expose Wikileaks for being the FSB front that they are.

Oh you want evidence? How about that time that the Panama Papers came out and Wikileaks peddles the same fucking conspiracy bullshit against them as Russia Today:

94f2699c-b1f1-4cbe-baaf-8e18b81c9e47.jpg

Or what about that time that Wikileaks tried to justify Pro-Putin rebels shooting down the Ukrainian Airplane MH17:

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/492033939142619136?lang=en

Is that a good start for you?

Dopus

Banned
Oh you want evidence? How about that time that the Panama Papers came out and Wikileaks peddles the same fucking conspiracy bullshit against them as Russia Today:

Or what about that time that Wikileaks tried to justify Pro-Putin rebels shooting down the Ukrainian Airplane MH17:

Wikileaks promoted the Panama papers. You can even go through their timeline for that.

The issue with OOCPR is the following, and I'll directly quote Assange.

"There's a claim repeated by the usual idiots in the ruling class press that WikiLeaks said the Panama Papers had been produced by the CIA US intelligence to attack Vladimir Putin. Absolutely not. In fact, we explicitly stated that we did not believe that was so. The key journalist and newspapers who collected the Panama Papers in Germany are our publishing partners, so we knew about the story. We aggressively promoted it. However, the particular story that came out on Vladimir Putin, which was pushed as the leading story in the Western press, rather than issues relating to say David Cameron or Western figures coming out of the Panama Papers, was funded by USAID and Soros Foundation. They funded an organization called OOCPR, which does sometimes good work, but is based in Maryland and focusses exclusively on negative stories about Russia and the former Soviet states. So, you have a story on Vladimir Putin produced by an organization, which exclusively focuses on Russia and the former Soviet states that is based in Maryland and is funded, the only funders listed, by USAID and the Soros Foundation. That is no model for integrity. And that's what we said. Some good journalism, but this is a difficulty when you have negative stories about Putin being pushed forward and funded by the US government. We are trying to distinguish WikiLeaks' model of publication, where we are funded by our readers and not by dodgy foundations or the US government. We don't like it when we are in competition with an organization based in Washington, DC and funded by the US government. Readers should be able to distinguish which sources are more reliable to give you the truth. One that is funded by a government attacking a figure in another government or one that is funded by its readers and has a track record of publishing everything with time limited redactions."

Some shitty tweets, no doubt. Not proof of an FSB front.

Do you agree with Obama's assessment of Wikileaks? Yes or no?

The second tweet is a Max Keiser blog post. Was it irresponsible? Sure. But if you're going to stat pulling out random tweets from some 40k+ then I suppose we're going ot be here for a long time. Chew out Wikileaks all you want, but let's not jump the gun here. I'm not in agreement with a number of things they've done and published - including these tweets. But I'm not going to start claiming they're an FSB front because sometimes it aligns with what RT has said. This is an absurdity.

You forgot the time wikileaks edited out mentions of billions in payments from Putin to Assad!

http://gizmodo.com/wikileaks-may-have-withheld-key-russian-documents-from-1786445992

It's hard to believe she wouldn't grasp this. I work at a testing company and I have educational information on the Obama girls on my work computer as well at other well known kids and even I'm smart enough to know that information would be a shitstorm and easily traced back to me. I find it hard to believe someone with top security clearance wouldn't know the gravity of doing something like that. Especially in this political climate where Republicans are constantly talking about leaks.
I worked in a top secret position at the same age as her. It is made very clear on multiple occasions what the potential consequences are to leaking this type of information. I still to this day haven't even hinted to my friends or my family what I worked on back then. The only thing that I can buy is that she didn't think she would get caught if she printed a document and sent it to someone in the mail which is utter stupidity. She is pretty lucky that she even got out the door with the document.

Wikileaks promoted the Panama papers. You can even go through their timeline for that.

The issue with OOCPR is the following, and I'll directly quote Assange.

"There's a claim repeated by the usual idiots in the ruling class press that WikiLeaks said the Panama Papers had been produced by the CIA US intelligence to attack Vladimir Putin. Absolutely not. In fact, we explicitly stated that we did not believe that was so. The key journalist and newspapers who collected the Panama Papers in Germany are our publishing partners, so we knew about the story. We aggressively promoted it. However, the particular story that came out on Vladimir Putin, which was pushed as the leading story in the Western press, rather than issues relating to say David Cameron or Western figures coming out of the Panama Papers, was funded by USAID and Soros Foundation. They funded an organization called OOCPR, which does sometimes good work, but is based in Maryland and focusses exclusively on negative stories about Russia and the former Soviet states. So, you have a story on Vladimir Putin produced by an organization, which exclusively focuses on Russia and the former Soviet states that is based in Maryland and is funded, the only funders listed, by USAID and the Soros Foundation. That is no model for integrity. And that's what we said. Some good journalism, but this is a difficulty when you have negative stories about Putin being pushed forward and funded by the US government. We are trying to distinguish WikiLeaks' model of publication, where we are funded by our readers and not by dodgy foundations or the US government. We don't like it when we are in competition with an organization based in Washington, DC and funded by the US government. Readers should be able to distinguish which sources are more reliable to give you the truth. One that is funded by a government attacking a figure in another government or one that is funded by its readers and has a track record of publishing everything with time limited redactions."

Some shitty tweets, no doubt. Not proof of an FSB front.

Do you agree with Obama's assessment of Wikileaks? Yes or no?

The second tweet is a Max Keiser blog post. Was it irresponsible? Sure. But if you're going to stat pulling out random tweets from some 40k+ then I suppose we're going ot be here for a long time. Chew out Wikileaks all you want, but let's not jump the gun here. I'm not in agreement with a number of things they've done and published - including these tweets. But I'm not going to start claiming they're an FSB front because sometimes it aligns with what RT has said. This is an absurdity.

First off I like how your "defense" of wikileaks is to quote their dumbass conspiracy about the western media was conspiring to hurt Putin because the Putin parts of the Panama Papers weren't the REAL story according to wikileaks. I like that because in your attempt to claim that wikileaks isn't blatantly working for the Russians, you post a paragraph in which Wikileaks gives some dumbass conspiracy about how PUTIN is the real victim here.

Second of all how is that me pulling out "random tweets"? They CHOSE to promote that shit because it justified Putin's side of things.

Here's some more blatant evidence that they are working for Russia:

When it came to the DNC emails, they not only didn't redact anything, but when asked about the Social Security Numbers and Credit Card Numbers that Wikileaks had just put out to the public, WIkileaks said they did that ON PURPOSE. How the fuck does that promote whistleblowing?

And I'm sure you'll give some bullshit excuse about how they don't hold back information because they wikileaks, except they DID hold back information when they made sure to only release the Podesta emails in a drip drip fashion, which BTW, they literally started a couple hours after the Access Hollywood tape dropped.

The BLATANTLY proves that they weren't doing it for "whistleblowing" but were doing it because whoever they were taking orders from wanted to help Trump and hurt the democrats. And based on the previous evidence the mostly answer to that is Russia.

You forgot the time wikileaks edited out mentions of billions in payments from Putin to Assad!

http://gizmodo.com/wikileaks-may-have-withheld-key-russian-documents-from-1786445992

Oh yeah and this too. I had almost forgotten about how when it came to Russia, SUDDENLY wikileaks is OK with redacting key information.

But I'm sure Dopus will give us some BS excuse on how that doesn't REALLY prove that Wikileaks is working for Russia, because.....

Dopus

Banned

This was and still is concerning for a number of reasons. Ultimately, we don't know if they were indeed redacted but it's not a good look in either case. Of course, Wikileaks and Assange have a different version of events but that is to be expected.

First off I like how your "defense" of wikileaks is to quote their dumbass conspiracy about the western media was conspiring to hurt Putin because the Putin parts of the Panama Papers weren't the REAL story according to wikileaks. I like that because in your attempt to claim that wikileaks isn't blatantly working for the Russians, you post a paragraph in which Wikileaks gives some dumbass conspiracy about how PUTIN is the real victim here.

Second of all how is that me pulling out "random tweets"? They CHOSE to promote that shit because it justified Putin's side of things.

Here's some more blatant evidence that they are working for Russia:

When it came to the DNC emails, they not only didn't redact anything, but when asked about the Social Security Numbers and Credit Card Numbers that Wikileaks had just put out to the public, WIkileaks said they did that ON PURPOSE. How the fuck does that promote whistleblowing?

And I'm sure you'll give some bullshit excuse about how they don't hold back information because they wikileaks, except they DID hold back information when they made sure to only release the Podesta emails in a drip drip fashion, which BTW, they literally started a couple hours after the Access Hollywood tape dropped.

The BLATANTLY proves that they weren't doing it for "whistleblowing" but were doing it because whoever they were taking orders from wanted to help Trump and hurt the democrats. And based on the previous evidence the mostly answer to that is Russia.

Oh yeah and this too. I had almost forgotten about how when it came to Russia, SUDDENLY wikileaks is OK with redacting key information.

But I'm sure Dopus will give us some BS excuse on how that doesn't REALLY prove that Wikileaks is working for Russia, because.....

Here we go again. Let me be clear from the start, I don't agree with everything Wikileaks have done. I don't agree with all of the releases. I don't agree with some of the timings and I'm not a fan of publishing without censorship. I would much prefer if their releases went through a journalistic filter much like Snowden.

With that said, with all of their faults and miscalculations, with all of Assange's bias and contempt for US imperialism - I'm not going to stand here and make an accusation that they're a front for the Russians because that's not what the evidence has shown. That's jumping to conclusions that aren't there. That's being irresponsible. I'd refer you back the previous administration and Obama's assessment of Wikileaks and Assange. The assessment of the IC themselves. If it was truly that "blatant" then we would know about it.

Not redacting SS and CC numbers isn't evidence of them being a Russian front. I'm sorry, but that's weak. Release timings are also not evidence. Wikileaks as an organisation has been clear that in most cases they will time releases for maximum impact. That's the whole point.

In addition, I provided Assange's response. Not mine. You should make note that I stated in my reply that "I'm not in agreement with a number of things they've done and published - including these tweets."

Top Bottom