• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cool uses for a (very) old iMac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky

I've had an iMac 350 sitting in my closet for years.
Of course I know the standard uses for old system... file server, give it to a relative/donate, fish tank (lulz).

Does the GAF hivemind have any other unique ideas?
It's really a great looking (but somewhat bulky) system, but I have my doubts as to how useful it could really be for someone else.

16233.jpg

Specs: http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/350-mhz-imac-g3-blueberry.html

Any suggestions appreciated!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Try selling it for big bucks? Call it vintage Apple. Maybe some idiot will overpay so they can say theyve been using Apple longer than their friends.

theultimo

You could always use it as a media server with Mac os x 10.3 or higher. Otherwise, it's just too slow for anything other then mac os 9 stuff that can't be used nowadays.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I loathed the first iMac when it came out.. and everything that it stood for.... But in retrospect it was kind of a pioneer. It was kind of the "blue ocean" of computers, trying to sell them to women and kids and stuff. When I was a teenager that was the devil, but now that I'm adult, I think it was brilliant.

And I'll be damned... we really didn't need that floppy drive :lol It made it seem like "not a real computer" at the time.

I remember upgrading the RAM on one of these for a friend and it was as simple as changing carts on a Nintendo.

DonMigs85

Meemories... I had an old 266 MHz Grape iMac and currently still have an old 1.25 GHz eMac. However its CMOS battery has died and it won't boot up reliably, anybody know where I can get a replacement?

clav

As good as it was back in the day, destroy it. Make a video of chucking it off the roof top several times.

On a serious note, you could turn it into an expensive digital frame or a music player or run Linux on it.

theultimo

DonMigs85 said:
Meemories... I had an old 266 MHz Grape iMac and currently still have an old 1.25 GHz eMac. However its CMOS battery has died and it won't boot up reliably, anybody know where I can get a replacement?
It is a standard battery.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-Biz-Hi-Capacity-B-260-S-X-CMOS-Battery-for-Apple/12081452

claviertekky said:
As good as it was back in the day, destroy it.

Make a video of chucking it off the roof top several times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdMS19god0g ?

huha

Neo Member
DonMigs85 said:

Here's Apples support page on changing the Emac's battery.
You probably best take the battery to a store and ask for a replacement there.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Install windows Xp on it, upload a video to youtube of it running xp

Enjoy the fanboy warbattles start up in the comment section

theultimo

Kentpaul said:
Install windows Xp on it, upload a video to youtube of it running xp

Enjoy the fanboy warbattles start up in the comment section
It's power pc..

They would be more shocked then anything to see a RISC processor running x86 code.

Lkr

mescalineeyes said:
what a bunch of douches. why not sell the laptop and donate that money. fucking assholes.
They probably bought it themselves

I thought my iMac G5 from 2004 was old, but this takes old to a whole new level:lol

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
mescalineeyes said:
what a bunch of douches. why not sell the laptop and donate that money. fucking assholes.

Maybe they are doing for the same reason the smashmyps3/wii/360/whatever guys did their shit for. A stand against consumerism or some shit like that. Those guys were retarded.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ah, the old iMac. I remember those fondly. My family had one with an actual pop-out disc drive, anyone know why that would have been?

Last computer in the house to run OS 9 :(

You should hollow it out, seal it up, and turn it into a fishtank. I'm not even joking.

entremet

The_Technomancer said:
Ah, the old iMac. I remember those fondly. My family had one with an actual pop-out disc drive, anyone know why that would have been?

Last computer in the house to run OS 9 :(

You should hollow it out, seal it up, and turn it into a fishtank. I'm not even joking.
The original iMac had a pop out disk drive. The subsequent refreshes started using slot loading disc drives.

ascii42

BocoDragon said:
I remember upgrading the RAM on one of these for a friend and it was as simple as changing carts on a Nintendo.
I had a 233 Mhz iMac, upgrading the RAM on it was as simple as changing engines in a car.

Xapati

I actually have one of these things sitting in the attic. No idea what to do with it, damn thing is big and clunky and makes a lot of noise too despite not having a fan.

DonMigs85

ascii42 said:
I had a 233 Mhz iMac, upgrading the RAM on it was as simple as changing engines in a car.
Argh just like my old 266MHz, you had to slide out the whole logic board and remove a metal cage just to access the SODIMM slots. I nearly cut my finger too.
The newer ones had an easy-access slot for RAM and the Airport card underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom