• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copy of 'Need for Speed' found at fatal crash...

Shinobi

060125_racedeath_300.jpg

Two 18-year-olds arrested and charged, copy of Need for Speed found in one suspect's car
Jan. 25, 2006. 08:13 PM
CANADIAN PRESS

The fantasy world of videogame street racing may have influenced two teenage boys accused of piloting real-life luxury cars in a high-speed contest that killed a taxi driver, police said Wednesday.

A copy of Need for Speed, a game that allows players to select custom cars and race them through crowded urban areas, was found on the front seat of one of the suspect’s cars following the late-night crash.

“Here we have, in real life, two guys driving high-end cars at a high rate of speed in an urban area,” said Toronto police Det. Paul Lobsinger.

“I don’t think it’s a giant leap for people to say, `Wow, how does this go together?’”

The 18-year-old friends were racing a pair of Mercedes Benzes through one of the city’s wealthiest neighbourhoods on Tuesday night, reaching speeds of 140 kilometres an hour in a 50-kilometre zone, police allege.

The taxi was struck while making a left turn, killing 46-year-old driver Tahir Khan.

The married father of two young children immigrated to Canada six years ago from Pakistan, said Jim Bell, general manager of Diamond Taxicab Association.

“He was working to . . . reunite his family in Canada, and lived the Canadian dream,” said Bell.

“Tahir’s dream for him and his family has been ended.”

The blunt force of the crash left the taxi wrapped around a utility pole, plumes of steam still rolling off the wreckage as investigators sifted through the twisted metal.

Despite finding an auto-racing game at the scene of the crime, Lobsinger stressed the game wasn’t solely to blame.

“Look, in the proper perspective . . . if everyone imitated a videogame such as that, we’d have to ban cars,” he said.

The driver of the Mercedes involved in the crash suffered only a few scratches. The other driver fled the scene, police said.

Alexander Ryazanov and Wang-Piao Ross are charged with criminal negligence causing death. Ross also faces a charge of failing to stop after an accident causing death.

Both Ross and Ryazanov appeared in court Wednesday, with their bail hearings rescheduled to Friday and next Monday, respectively.

In the prisoner’s docket, Ross, dressed in a white and beige hooded sweatshirt, whispered to Ryazanov, in a grey ribbed sweater.

Ross’s mother left the courtroom without offering comment.

The incident is the latest in what some say is a growing plague of street racing nationwide.

Last year, a pedestrian in Edmonton was killed when one of two racing Corvettes spun out of control and hit the woman from behind. The incident prompted provincial politicians to pass legislation allowing police to seize vehicles for 24 hours in cases involving street racing.

Just days before the law came into effect, two men died when their vehicles collided in Calgary in an apparent street race.

In B.C., two men charged with killing an elderly woman during a race were committed to trial earlier this month.

The increase in street racing incidents across Canada prompted the former Liberal government to introduce legislation requiring judges to revoke the driver’s licence of anyone convicted of street racing.

The bill failed to pass into law before the government fell last November.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...013&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

If I was a conspiracy nut, I'd swear Jack Thompson planted the game at the crime scene.

Anyway I haven't played the latest NFS game, but I'm pretty sure they've got all the prequisite warnings about how you er, shouldn't do that stuff in real life. So EA should be in the clear.

Guess the people complaining about GTA can add this to the list of games that should be banned. Such a bad influence, right?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
OH MY GOD AN 18 YEAR OLD MALE WAS SPEEDING IN HIS FAST IMPORT CAR THIS NEW PHOENOMENON MUST BE THE RESULT OF RACING VIDEO GAMES

Tarazet

He hadn't even played it yet! The only reason he would have had the game in his car at all would have been to take it home from the store!

th236519821.jpg

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
OH MY GOD AN 18 YEAR OLD MALE WAS SPEEDING IN HIS FAST IMPORT CAR THIS NEW PHOENOMENON MUST BE THE RESULT OF RACING VIDEO GAMES

indeed - people were boy racing around my home town when i was as young as 10 - i can only assume Pitstop or Racing Destruction Set on the C64 drove them to it....

Mihail

Banned
Hmm...
EA... Jack Thompson... EA... Jack Thompson... EA... Jack Thompson

Hopefully, one will take out the other.

Whoever loses... we win!

I think it's too easy to write this off as just another case of someone pointing the finger at innocence developers. I think as the industry grows, developers need to grow up. NFS MW rewards reckless drivings (as it always has), and the reward comes in the shape of added cool. So while I'm definitely not saying anyone should directly blame EA for any involvement in this, I do think that immersion and interactivity in games has hit a point where developers need to consider showing more social responsibility.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
AltogetherAndrews said:
I think it's too easy to write this off as just another case of someone pointing the finger at innocence developers. I think as the industry grows, developers need to grow up. NFS MW rewards reckless drivings (as it always has), and the reward comes in the shape of added cool. So while I'm definitely not saying anyone should directly blame EA for any involvement in this, I do think that immersion and interactivity in games has hit a point where developers need to consider showing more social responsibility.
I see where you're coming from but SCREW THAT! I want to do crazy shit that I can't do in real life. That's why I play video games!

Odysseus

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
I see where you're coming from but SCREW THAT! I want to do crazy shit that I can't do in real life. That's why I play video games!

But I want to do stuff in real life that I do in video games. :(

(I do admit to wanting to shoot other cars with missiles a la RC Pro-Am if they are holding me up.)

AltogetherAndrews said:

Or people can have common sense. Let the people who take things this seriously weed themselves out.

Asskicker064 said:
Or people can have common sense. Let the people who take things this seriously weed themselves out.

Except this particular example shows the biggest flaw in that method; they don't just weed themselves out, they take others with them. That's something you want to avoid, and that's what social responsibility is all about.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
AltogetherAndrews said:
Except this particular example shows the biggest flaw in that method; they don't just weed themselves out, they take others with them. That's something you want to avoid, and that's what social responsibility is all about.

So...you're saying we should take them out before they take us out? Right?

AltogetherAndrews said:

People should know better than to drive.

AltogetherAndrews said:

Where do you draw the line then? Will all racers have to make it where if you crash at a high speed once the race ends? Otherwise you're sending the wrong message to the same people you're talking about, the people who for some reason don't think racing at high speeds can lead to big problems.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
EA's gonna be off the hook soon enough. Everyone will be going after Capcom once this picture from a recent beating gets to the press...

DuckTalesBeating.jpg

Gek54 said:
What is this "Canadian dream" that the article speaks about?
I feel like such a dick but I totally laughed when I read that part of the article. Malek's post got a lol out of me too. :lol

Also, LMAO @ Whimsical Phil :lol :lol

Borys

Banned
Wow, a father of two children got killed by two stupid teenage fucks and noone gives a shit about him.

World is truly rotten.

SonnyBoy

I had a friend lose his life racing his Civic on 695. Its the person who ultimately makes the decision to take a particular action.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
AltogetherAndrews said:

This was a joke post right... right??!?!?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
my brother thinks the guy by the name of damiun is one of his good friends brothers but isn't completely sure :x

Vlad

AltogetherAndrews said:

That's a pretty good point, actually. Check it out, looks like at least one major publishing house is already thinking along those lines.

Ranger X

Vlad said:
That's a pretty good point, actually. Check it out, looks like at least one major publishing house is already thinking along those lines.

:lol This one is a classic by now.

But nobody noticed that games weren't accused in this case? why do we actually talk about this accident and give some the idea of blaming the videogames again?

This thread = OT ?

Shinobi

Wyzdom said:
:lol This one is a classic by now.

But nobody noticed that games weren't accused in this case? why do we actually talk about this accident and give some the idea of blaming the videogames again?

This thread = OT ?

Like it or not, the media has made that link...

torcover.jpg

Let's face a few facts...the gaming world isn't looked at in the same light as TV, movies or music. People believe that gaming is a lot more influential on people then other forms of entertainment for a number of reasons...it's a newer form of entertainment (only been around for 30 years), it's an interactive form of entertainment, and it doesn't have the sort of respected gatekeepers guarding the store that the other industries have.

And when you've got a fatal accident involving two speeding, expensive, high performance vechiles, and a copy of a game that covers what they're doing is found at the scene, it's a pretty easy link for the media to make. Doesn't make linking the two neccessarily fair of course, but I don't think it would be right to ignore that fact either.

Just keep in mind that the cops don't believe it's a heavy link (for the moment anyway)...it's mainly the media that's playing that link up for headline purposes. That's what they do.

DeadTrees

torcover.jpg

Not to defend Need for Speed or anything, but putting that car advert on the front page with that headline required some serious cognitive dissonance.

Top Bottom