• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be hard to go back to the status quo of saying they don't even deserve wages above slave level & some respect after this.

I doubt anything will change. A large portion of people see themselves as above this kind of work. I have a friend who rarely leaves his moms house, has only briefly had a job for a few weeks, he's in his mid 20's, and he laughed at the idea that he might get a job at Wal Mart. He explained to me that apparently only complete losers get those kinds of jobs.

He apparently left a note saying he couldn't bear with the situation this is going to bring which he said it will be much worse than in past crisis.

Yeah. I don't think the full impact of what is likely to come has dawned upon too many yet. The economic structure of society has always been very fragile. It depends upon staying on the treadmill. Any disruption and everything crumbles due to massive interdependence. Just another reason that living small and local is likely the (sustainable) way forward. There will be...growing pains.

They know what they’re doing. People need to wake the fuck up.

What are you talking about man? China only make the best shit. Even Xbox Game Pass doesn't offer "10000000 in 1 games".

Polystation-video-game-com-2-controles-pistola-jogos_MLB-F-3984788497_032013-700x525.jpg

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
It will be hard to go back to the status quo of saying they don't even deserve wages above slave level & some respect after this.

Yeah, well read up on how the 9/11 heroes have been treated. There's a lot less of them and they are not looked after.

womfalcs3

Banned
Anthony Fauci at 4 minutes 50 seconds in the video: we're looking at 150,000 to 200,000 deaths in the US.

He says "cases" initially, but corrects himself at the 5-minute mark.

cryptoadam

Banned

Time to wake up.

China caused the pandemic. Hoarded supplies. And now are selling DEFECTIVE equipment. This isnt done by accident.

And all China numbers are 100% Bull Shiiiiiiite. How many of their test they gave to their own people were garbage?

Wheres the WHO? Dont they have any issue with China selling garbage or they getting a nice cut ?

Someone needs to investigate how much the WHO makes from test kit sales and test kits sold by China. Why did the WHO tell the world not to wear masks ? So China can hoard them and then profit from selling garbage to the rest of the world ?

Loki

Count of Concision
I am definitely not saying that the US handled this completely correctly from the outset, but any thoughts on why/how the US somehow has by far the most cases of any nation (assuming China's data is true, which is a big assumption), and that NY in particular has ~12x as many cases as the next highest state (NJ excluded - its proximity to NY is the main reason for its high case count). You can say that NY/the US is testing more, but can it possibly be THAT much more? Keep in mind that the first US case was many weeks after China/Spain/Italy, and our nationwide population density is far lower than Spain/Italy (bear in mind that even if NY had only 15K cases instead of 55K, the US would still have the highest number of cases despite the lesser population density and later "start date" than these other nations).

Also, I realize that the population density of NY doesn't help matters, but other very dense US cities like LA and Chicago aren't seeing similar case numbers. Of course, it could be that due to how much international travel passes into/out of NY (more so than even other large cities like LA/Chicago) we had more people who brought this back from overseas than other US cities had, and thus sped up the transmission. It's just strange - are we (the US and NY especially) just botching things THAT badly? Is it all just due to more extensive testing?

cryptoadam

Banned
T

The problem is all those items will be replaced by the same company so this will happen again.
Only option is to look for new suppliers.

I say buy local and bite the bullet.

The brewery next to me switched over to produce hand sanitizers instead of beer.

This is what more and more local companies should do.
Serve the puplic and still profit from it.

You live next to a labatt brewery?

I feel sorry for you every candaian knows Molson is better.

crowbrow

Banned
I am definitely not saying that the US handled this completely correctly from the outset, but any thoughts on why/how the US somehow has by far the most cases of any nation (assuming China's data is true, which is a big assumption), and that NY in particular has ~12x as many cases as the next highest state (NJ excluded - its proximity to NY is the main reason for its high case count). You can say that NY/the US is testing more, but can it possibly be THAT much more? Keep in mind that the first US case was many weeks after China/Spain/Italy, and our nationwide population density is far lower than Spain/Italy (bear in mind that even if NY had only 15K cases instead of 55K, the US would still have the highest number of cases despite the lesser population density and later "start date" than these other nations).

Also, I realize that the population density of NY doesn't help matters, but other very dense US cities like LA and Chicago aren't seeing similar case numbers. Of course, it could be that due to how much international travel passes into/out of NY (more so than even other large cities like LA/Chicago) we had more people who brought this back from overseas than other US cities had, and thus sped up the transmission. It's just strange - are we (the US and NY especially) just botching things THAT badly? Is it all just due to more extensive testing?
I guess botched testing and delayed response were part of it. Most of the countries around the world were way ahead of testing than the US at the beginning because the US testing kits were badly made. Also the way the US society work with mostly Independent decentralized states makes it more difficult to coordinate a country-wide response. It didn't help that the federal government downplayed the risk also which made many people not take it seriously enough.

betrayal

Banned
Italy's new cases today: +5.217
New daily deaths: 756

Last three days the number of new cases were 5.974, 5.909, 6.203.
Last thee days the number of deaths were: 889, 919, 712.

Deaths aside, which say nothing right now, it is now clearly a trend. A declining trend.

sinnergy

I guess botched testing and delayed response were part of it. Most of the countries around the world were way ahead of testing than the US at the beginning because the US testing kits were badly made. Also the way the US society work with mostly Independent decentralized states makes it more difficult to coordinate a country-wide response. It didn't help that the federal government downplayed the risk also which made many people not take it seriously enough.
Not completely true , we Dutch don’t follow the WHO rules that close, we don’t test enough or contact trace and isolate, I think it will bite us in the ass.

Our death count is high for a country with only 17 million people.

If you don’t follow these rules preferably with a very strict lock down , you are looking at way more deaths.

cryptoadam

Banned

Deaths aside, which say nothing right now, it is now clearly a trend. A declining trend.

I like your optimisim but we need more days of "decline" to make any judgements.

Where i live we had 3 days of decline and now its going back up again.

I will wait at least a week of decline before calling anything.

sinnergy

Let’s wait a couple of days to see if it’s really a trend . I hope it is.

betrayal

Banned
I like your optimisim but we need more days of "decline" to make any judgements.

Where i live we had 3 days of decline and now its going back up again.

I will wait at least a week of decline before calling anything.

If you look at the charts (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/) you can see Italy obviously already peaked about a week ago. There has been no percentage increase in daily cases for a week now. Italy has managed to increase the doubling time of cases by 100%. Next week the case numbers will definitely decrease further. In absolute numbers, not every day of course, but the trend will be very clear.

Where do you live btw?

Let’s wait a couple of days to see if it’s really a trend . I hope it is.

Like i said above. It is very clear now, that a trend (peak) already started one week ago (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/). It can't be any clearer than it is now.

I know this whole situation in the world is complete shit. But come on, it doesn't mean there's not more good news. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anthony Fauci at 4 minutes 50 seconds in the video: we're looking at 150,000 to 200,000 deaths in the US.

He says "cases" initially, but corrects himself at the 5-minute mark.

"Looking at what we're seeing now, I would say between 100 and 200,000 deaths. We're gonna have millions of cases, but I just don't think that we really need to make a projection that it's such a moving target that you can so easily be wrong and mislead people."

Why are you so interested in taking his rough estimate at the moment, but not his follow up comment that we shouldn't be making projections? His whole point was that models and projections rarely turn out to be true.

Last edited by a moderator:

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
A horrific failing by its governor and mayor.

The exact opposite.
The massive amount of testing that NY has done is a positive. If you remove NY test counts from the US number, it shows that the country is still failing miserably at testing.

I wish Deblasio had acted earlier on schools, and Cuomo had moved to 100% work from home a bit earlier, but they were still close to 1st to act.

NY is already seeing improvement due to the measures we've taken. It will always be a hot spot area due to density and the nature of these giant apartment buildings, but there's not much more you can ask for as a resident.
I can't imagine the panic that will set in for some who assume their area is safe now, but then realize they're surrounded when testing picks up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"Looking at what we're seeing now, I would say between 100 and 200,000 deaths. We're gonna have millions of cases, but I just don't think that we really need to make a projection that it's such a moving target that you can so easily be wrong and mislead people."

Why are you so interested in taking his rough estimate at the moment, but not his follow up comment that we shouldn't be making projections? His whole point was that models and projections rarely turn out to be true.

Have you seen that clown’s post history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom